Anyone else struggling with the rate of expansions?

paul7926

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is ridiculous the amount that is being released. I'm doing the main two (AoS & 40k) plus just started underworlds (that was an expensive catch up session ?). Gave up on KT early, loved playing it but it was too many systems for my brain to manage. Still want to do LOTR, necromunder, bloodbowl, but again it's too many games. All the tiny side games, like Speedfreaks or forgebane will come and go and are mainly used by players of those factions to get cheaper models, I've got 2 sets of necrons from forgebane, it's really handy, and I don't see them as ever being designed for longevity. There is so much out there already and so much more to be released that you just have to pick your battles. I'm super hyped for Black Fortress but there are also loads of great non GW games, like infinity, but again for me it's too many game systems. You just have to pick the ones that you like the most and either ignore the hype train or get on board and ride it all the way to bankruptcy junction ?

I flipped some sort of "maturity switch"  in my brain some time back.  I just  do what I can, pick one project at a time and go with it  I don't buy stuff for later, - I wait and buy stuff later when I actually want it.  If I miss something, big deal - there will always be something else.

A very Lebowski attitude.  Go with the, like, flow, man.

As usual, most of it is self-restraint and not stacking on the new shinies. I find it quite easy, just forcing myself to wait a week or two when I see a model I like. After that period, the "lusting for new models effect" is usually gone. Helps to have very little back catalog and control my time/money investment in wargames the way I want. For people that struggle, I recommend trying it out. Wait some days/weeks before buying, and you will notice that afterwards you neither need it nor want it as much as a few days earlier.

Another good method is to give multiple usage to your minis. I'm currently building an AoS army that is totally compatible with Kings of War, just like I have older armies that can be used in half a dozen gaming systems that I like (AoS, WHFB, T9A, skirmish stuff ,etc....). Keeps the miniature interest focussed on one project, instead of switching between miniature collections all the time. Armies with multiple game system compatibility really help reduce the buying obsession.

6 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

I will be honest and say my biggest gripe is the number of games being brought out that need some kind of consistent "DLC" style purchases - Underworlds and Kill Team both utilise a system where you feel obliged to buy the latest expansion in order to gain a handful of cards you can't get elsewhere.  I think they're great if that's the only game you play, but quite frustrating if you also play other systems

I am morally, ethically, financially, and hippie-ly opposed to video game DLC*.  Sell me the whole game at once, you so-and-so something-or-others. Make a full game sequel later and I will buy that as well if it's good. This $60 game that ends up a $150 game because of DLC that ought to have been included in the $60 game (or packed into a $60 sequel) is, well, I won't say what I think it is, but it's not nice.

I don't look at Kill Team and Underworlds (or Blood Bowl for that matter) in the same way at all. I understand  the comparison, but I don't agree with it. Video game DLC is almost always just the equivalent of what we would see as a pack of Battleplans for AoS. These are additions to the game that seem more similar to Malign Sorcery to me - additional new options, or expansions, to the game. 

This is especially true of Commanders.  I agree with others who feel an almost automatic need to get the "full" game by adding on things like Commanders, but I had the same realization as some - I don't need it.  Kill Team is a fully formed, fun, complete game without Commanders.  In our house, we are quite content with Kill Team sans Commander.

Underworlds is pure crack for us. We get everything for it.  Everything.  It's such a good game and comes in such well-paced bite-sized chunks that we just can't help ourselves.  It's also the only game in decades that I have committed to painting everything old before getting the next thing (a nod to the release pace, btw). I also firmly believe that you can absolutely remain competitive without "having" to get the other warbands. We get them because it's exciting to add new options, and because it's fun to experiment with paint schemes for armies on smaller groups.  You can even mess up the paint job and not feel bad. Underworlds warbads are not DLC, they area new forces that have some options for others to use.

Don't get me wrong, I get that it's totally clever marketing by GW. If you want to have all the options, you need to get all the warbands.  I'm just saying it's not the same as DLC and that it's not required, so it doesn't bother me.

* But hot damn I am getting every piece of Spider-man DLC I can.  That game is so amazing, so gratifying, and so much fun!  Gimme more!

I just don’t expect to get everything. I primarily collect Death so unless it’s Death related I tend not to dive in. I might buy the odd battletome for the lore. But I won’t buy everything that comes out.

It also helps that I cannot afford everything. It means I got to really think about my purchases.

I simply can't keep up so don't even try. I manage it by having a painting list and a buy list on my phone. I have to paint x number of projects before I can buy something. It takes self control but it work and I know what I have on the buy list I really want/need as it will have gone through a cooling off period by the time I get to it.

Idoneth are the only things interesting to me. I’m remarkably picky with armies because I need to adore and love them so much to put the work into them. I usually expand them into huge collections. No one here plays board games so those are out unless the value is great and I can split it. 40k has been boring for 2 years orks the only exception recently. I don’t care for the new 40k lore and it feels my new deathwatch are about to be squatted. Kill team is too simple for me and they made Rogue Traders ig in space which was very underwhelming given what they are like in the lore. Doubt next year will wow me much either barring an unexpected sepharon or skaven update or some cool new AoS army like undead pirates. 40k is getting 2 more legions + sisters so no excitement  there. Feels like all my 40k armies are being squatted with no support except rules. 

I've just accepted that i can't keep up with underworlds now, so i'll just keep playing season 1 indefinitely i guess. Shame, cos i like the look of the new stuff. Same with blood bowl, necromunda and lotr. A few years back i would of been all over these, but i've had to limit myself to as few systems as possible so i can learn the rules and buy some new shinys every now and then. Hopefully some of these other games will be around for years so i can pick them up one day

23 minutes ago, mastercrafted said:

I've just accepted that i can't keep up with underworlds now, so i'll just keep playing season 1 indefinitely i guess.

What about the new season (one main box and two more warbands at this point) makes it a breaking point for you?  Not to judge (I don't know your situation), but it doesn't feel to me like a big jump from 1 to 2.  Just curious.

11 hours ago, chord said:

For the last 12 months I have a rule only buy when I have everything painted.  It's helped me a lot. 

We all have that rule.  But, seriously, this is safe space.  We all understand if you break that rule "from time to time".  We do too.  ?

You can admit it here and we won't judge you.  You're among friends. ?

?

6 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Underworlds is pure crack for us. We get everything for it.  Everything.  It's such a good game and comes in such well-paced bite-sized chunks that we just can't help ourselves.  It's also the only game in decades that I have committed to painting everything old before getting the next thing (a nod to the release pace, btw). I also firmly believe that you can absolutely remain competitive without "having" to get the other warbands. We get them because it's exciting to add new options, and because it's fun to experiment with paint schemes for armies on smaller groups.  You can even mess up the paint job and not feel bad. Underworlds warbads are not DLC, they area new forces that have some options for others to use

Same. I am behind on 2 warbands however and really want to buy the goblins + eye of the nine so this months goal is to knock out those warbands. I think underworlds is the best game GW has ever made.

Hm.. I've only been in this hobby for almost 3 months and so far have a 1,500 point SCE army, 1,000 BoC army (1,000 in boxes), (1,500 nighthaunt in boxes), all underworld warbands and a T'au kill team so I can safely say I'm quite addicted to new stuffs. Overall it's been a blast, mostly picking up stuff based on what games are popular in the FLGS (always easy to find pickup KT/underworlds games in my FLGS). Underworlds release has been super quick, but with the next Troggoth release saying its "in a few months", I feel things will start to mellow off a bit to a decent pace (I'll admit there are quite a few warbands I'll never play, but I feel that at least they make me practice different hobby painting styles/extra models for me to experiment with).

To be honest, so far I feel the new releases quality/content wise have been great, so as long as GW is able to maintain good quality, I don't mind the large amount of content (used to be a collector in other hobbies), with the rate of these releases, at least it forces me to think, pick, and choose XD.

I have a pretty simple rule that I have been following for the last few years. If I want to buy a new mini, I first have to paint two old ones. Heroes count as 5 and monsters count as 10. Before I bought Soul Wars in the summer I was at about 90% painted. It has also made me buy less stuff. I have been averaging about £200 a year for the last few which is not too bad. 

Budget this time round has ruled. 13 years ago I got into the hobby. Stopped for 5-6 years and started again a year and a half ago. I love the AoS models - stormcast and the new grot/troll/ shaman etc. I have painted and converted my old ork, and empire army’s, started a skaven/Beastmen army (based on a realm gate novel) and a start on a spiderfang. I have bought 1 new AoS model. Excelsior Warpriest and gryphhound. The rest were from the piles I bought from the first round that were never finished. I love the hobby, but will not get bogged down again buying everything. I’m downsizing homes right now and have given away 3 editions of armybooks fantasy and 3 editions of 40k codexes plus almost 100 novels.  Sold an entire battle sisters army. Still have 4 40k armies, and 4 older addition fantasy plus the new converted ones. $1000’s of dollars worth and I loved every penny’s worth. I see a better budget on horizon but I’ll stick to SC and the new moonclan stuff and that’s it. I've got rid of all the old rules sets as well and will concentrate only on the core rules of AoS and 40k and instead of every codex, only the ones I’m playing. 

I think......,

I have decided to pass on a couple awesome looking games like kill team as there has been so many great releases. I stopped myself from buying van saars, sold 80% of my 40k stuff, and am somewhat close to selling my last AoS force as well (still have two other GW games running hard). It's too much to keep up with more than one or two games, and they have released so much.

I rather think I might even quit playing all but Middle Earth and just buy random cool models to paint.

5 hours ago, Chikout said:

I have a pretty simple rule that I have been following for the last few years. If I want to buy a new mini, I first have to paint two old ones. 

Awesome policy.  I might copy it.

Coincidentally: I just assembled 60 Grots that I'm confident I could bash out in a week.

I’ve had the same issue. Being a new dad to twins! Hobby time is valuable and money to. I had the 40k starter set just sat their and had to sell to fund my main game aos. I still kept the rule book as can see me going back to 40k. 

@paul7926

I stumbled upon this a few days ago and it gave voice to a lot of my thoughts recently

https://www.monbiot.com/2012/12/10/the-gift-of-death/?fbclid=IwAR2z9u3Q4R6OBVZlGhyQMO0h6S4rwToDer2Z6ZWxDwbSl508xWhrkgQm2u4#.WgA4NptNI58.facebook

This might be a bit off-topic or even a bit unpleasant but I thought it may help you rationalise and quantify the importance of the frustration you are feeling . 

The bottom line is you (we) don't need any of this stuff to feel fulfilled and happy. so much more we dont need to feel frustrated by not being able to buy everything.

Sorry again if you find this irrelevant or unpleasant

8 hours ago, Sleboda said:

What about the new season (one main box and two more warbands at this point) makes it a breaking point for you?  Not to judge (I don't know your situation), but it doesn't feel to me like a big jump from 1 to 2.  Just curious.

Probably because i feel i need to go and by the new starter set? Maybe i don't, and i know its only 40 quid but it all adds up and you have to draw the line somewhere. No one that i play with seems that bothered about rushing out to buy the new boxset either

10 minutes ago, Planar said:

Sorry again if you find this irrelevant or unpleasant

nah, this is stuff we should be 100% aware of and upfront and honest about. at the end of the day we're involved in a hobby that is, like all hobbies, just a bit of fun and creating a shed load of waste and plastic in the process.

a lot of people do get all angry if you point this out but it's just the truth, too many people have this weird attitude where they get painfully defensive about this and take it as some assault on their personal liberties, which must be protected above all other things even if it hurts others.

I'm not saying don't collect models or play the games, that would obviously be hypocritical but we should be aware. GW themselves are taking steps to be 'greener' and we should all look at what we can do ourselves.

14 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I don't look at Kill Team and Underworlds (or Blood Bowl for that matter) in the same way at all. I understand  the comparison, but I don't agree with it. Video game DLC is almost always just the equivalent of what we would see as a pack of Battleplans for AoS. These are additions to the game that seem more similar to Malign Sorcery to me - additional new options, or expansions, to the game. 

Completely agree - that's why I called it "DLC style" rather than DLC.  GW have chosen a different pace of release for each game system, which is certainly manageable if you only collect / play a handful of systems.

I think the challenge comes more when you collect lots of systems and/or you get a load of rapid-fire releases for things that you've invested in.  I've got enough models to comfortably last me for the next decade, but I know that if there was a load of Space Wolves, Bloodbound and Spryer releases I'd be throwing money at GW xD.

I'm not going to blame GW - the issue lies firmly in my lap, but I know that I'm already being a lot more reserved with what I buy.  This thread shows that I'm not on my own struggling to work out what to spend my hard earned wages on, but I wonder how many people in a similar position will simply go "I'll just not buy anything for six months", which ultimately will only hurt the hobby.

Loads of interesting answers, especially the reminder about the real costs of consumerism for the sake of it.

After reading it all and reflecting a little I know that I'm very guilty of the 'wow that looks cool, I need that' train of thought that I guess the marketing boys love me for.  The thing that saddens me the most I think is that I have so many projects (in multiple different game systems not just GW) that never even really got started.  They sit in boxes either half made of less and will never see the light of day.  I would be much better served just playing a few systems more than multiple systems almost never.

So a reduction is coming, I just need to figure out a way of picking what I want to keep and then handling that 'but I'm missing out on x' feeling that is illogical in the first place!

I went all-in on new releases in the first half of the year. Now I think I probably have enough hobby to last me the next three years at least, and my purchasing has slackened off (...more because of lack of funds than anything else...) apart from the odd glue/paint refill and character model here and there. Only being into Age of Sigmar has helped this- I powered into Shadespire, but have resisted Nightvault (though I will catch up with it eventually). 

I have to say that the notion of the environmental effect of all this plastic has been only superficially present in my mind. Warhammz has been such a focus for me when I've been low in the last two years that I've not given much thought to the wider impact of my purchases. Oh dear. There's that little joy gone now too.

My strategy to keep up is to buy only miniatures, and no books.

Just look at the new books we've got: rules are free, GA allegiances are in the core book, faction allegiances in the general's handbook, realm artifacts in the malign sorcery book... What would they invent next year?

I started Warhammer by selling all my Magic:The Gathering cards, determined to buy solid plastic to admire/paint/collect/play rather than cardboards. So this is what I did. As for the rules, I gather the information I need on some allegiance abilities and artifacts, download the free rules and warscrolls, and compile them into my own cheatsheet. With the money saved (50€-100€ per year), I can buy more minis to keep up with the releases.

I incidentally fell in the trap of starting a new army (Free Peoples) from old minis I already had. Forecasting the cost, I quickly stopped, sold all this burgeoning army off, and re-focused on my main one.

I guess it's a matter of individual strategies, but here was mine

Archived