AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

53 minutes ago, Zamik said:

I'm really starting to want some wrathmongers for my army! One of my friends plays Stormcasts and has TONS of Retributors, and I'd love to turn those Starsoul maces right back on him! It's a 2+ to hit with one of those, and a 6 gets d3+1 mortal wounds--Mwuh hahahahaha!

Retributors with Starsoul Maces are actually not the best targets because the maces can't be buffed by Crimson Haze. You also have to be careful to not accidentially buff units like Sequitors with their rerollable hit rolls.

Another problem against Stormcast is their bad 5+ save, which makes them very vulnerable against ranged combat and Bloodfury doesn't trigger in the shooting phase.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JetBlackSVW said:

Retributors with Starsoul Maces are actually not the best targets because the maces can't be buffed by Crimson Haze. You also have to be careful to not accidentially buff units like Sequitors with their rerollable hit rolls.

Another problem against Stormcast is their bad 5+ save, which makes them very vulnerable against ranged combat and Bloodfury doesn't trigger in the shooting phase.

Thanks--yeah, I realize it's not an attack, so I can only do it once if I choose the model with that weapon. In any case I'm still interested in fielding Wrathmongers because you really have to think if it's the right moment to kill them. I've had some good luck with Blood Warriors in much the same way--I got down to one of them, surrounded by chainrasps, and he was just punching and punching till his dying breath, and I loved that. After the battle I named that model Pugmes (based off the Greek for fist).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Retro said:

Good news, we can officially include a brass despoilers battalion in a khorne army.

I'll be brewing up some beast khorne lists myself, how about you guys?

I'm more psyched about being able to ally in a shaggoth personally.  I like gore pilgrims too much and don't think that beast battalion would work too great under the khorne umbrella.  No spells, no artifacts, not much synergy.   Beasts don't have mortal daemon or bloodbound keywords.  I think it would be tough to make work.  Its a pretty big tax to pay to just bring in some heavy hitters when we already have plenty.  

4 hours ago, Retro said:

Good news, we can officially include a brass despoilers battalion in a khorne army.

I'll be brewing up some beast khorne lists myself, how about you guys?

It'll work really well in my khorne army. I run lots of marauders, a couple of mammoths and the warshrine, so the aesthetic works a treat with them as the look and feel is very realm of chaos : Slaves to Darkness.

Most of my marauders are a mixture of marauder and beastmen bits as the corruption has taken hold.

It also means I can have a doombull as my general which finally completes the backstory as well. :)

Thank you GW...

I apologize (or apologise depending on your home nation) for the stupid question but i cant find any answer to it at all. When i use murderlust from the bloodtithe to move a dude, can i make a run roll with it? What im looking at is this: turn 1 i use the blood sacrifice prayer from 3 priests and get 3 bloodtithe. I then use that to move my bloodsecrator into a better position before dropping his banner. However,  4" isnt a whole lot for 3 bloodtithe so im hoping i can make a run roll with him. 

7 hours ago, Gotrek said:

I apologize (or apologise depending on your home nation) for the stupid question but i cant find any answer to it at all. When i use murderlust from the bloodtithe to move a dude, can i make a run roll with it? What im looking at is this: turn 1 i use the blood sacrifice prayer from 3 priests and get 3 bloodtithe. I then use that to move my bloodsecrator into a better position before dropping his banner. However,  4" isnt a whole lot for 3 bloodtithe so im hoping i can make a run roll with him. 

I would say yes, as you move "as in the movement phase " wich includes the option to declare run

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Bululu said:

I would say yes, as you move "as in the movement phase " wich includes the option to declare run

That said I'm pretty sure I read in an FAQ somewhere (can't remember specifics) that if you do run in the hero phase with an ability it disqualifies you from shooting/charging.

Unless you have a rule allowing you to run and shoot/charge

• Like 1

Got a 1K tournament next Saturday, would love some thoughts and feedback on my list

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Wrath Of Khorne Bloodthirster (320)
- General
- Trait: Immense Power  
- Artefact: Harvester of Skulls  
Bloodstoker (80)

Battleline
30 x Bloodletters (320)
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist

Units
5 x Wrathmongers (180)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 74

Edited by JonnyTheKing

Hello - so I’m buying and building my army.

Please let me know -What am I missing that you would say is *Essential* - what should I be looking at adding  “stat” to the list?

I’m focusing on Daemons right now have:

90 Bloodletters,

9ish Bloodcrushers,

40is Flesh Hounds

Karnath

Skulltaker

1 (so far) Bloodthirsters (want 3 more to run ThatKhorneGuy’s list)

2   Bloodsecrator

1 Bloodstroker

20 hours ago, mastercrafted said:

@JonnyTheKing your bloodletter blob will do some serious work for you, but if it was me i would swap the wrathmongers for more bodies to put on objectives. The wrathmongers buff bubble is so small and they're too slow to keep up with the bloodletters. 

It's not just their buff bubble. They can run independently and kill things way above their points cost.  They are one of the best anti-monster units in the game.  And the 3" range means they can dish a ton of attacks from behind a decent sized screen.  I think they are a must include. So flexible and can take on many roles while making anything around them better.

16 hours ago, Coyote said:

Hello - so I’m buying and building my army.

Please let me know -What am I missing that you would say is *Essential* - what should I be looking at adding  “stat” to the list?

I’m focusing on Daemons right now have:

90 Bloodletters,

9ish Bloodcrushers,

40is Flesh Hounds

Karnath

Skulltaker

1 (so far) Bloodthirsters (want 3 more to run ThatKhorneGuy’s list)

2   Bloodsecrator

1 Bloodstroker

Wait until the Plasic Fleshhounds come out hopefully in the new box set next month before getting any in finecast

Played 1500 against my Beasts of Chaos friend yesterday, let me first say the goats are quick.

We played the starfall mission from an earlier GHB.

I'll put my and his list in the spoiler so I don't text wall too much

Spoiler

Khorne 1500

Asp Deathbringer(general), Bloodsecrator, Slaughterpriest, Slaughterpriest, Exalted Deathbringer, 10 Blood Warriors, 5 BW, 5 BW 10 Reavers, Khorgorath, 5 wrathmongers, Garrek's Reavers, and Gore Pilgrims.

He (roughly, based on my memory) had

3 Bray Shamen, Cogs, Taurus, Beastlord(general), 2X 10 Bestigor, 10 Gor, 10 Ungor raiders, and Ghorgon, and the Slaanesh Battalion.

It was an intense game right from the start.  I deployed in such a way as to box my good units behind the 10 reavers up front and the 2 units of 5 BW on my left and right flanks.  Odd deployment for me as I knew he had ambush and the cogs, plus he was a one drop army.  My careful deployment proved to be the key to my success as the chaff I had placed at the fronts were turn one assaulted by the 10 gor(who came up the middle at my reavers), and the 2 units of 10 bestigor(who assaulted my left and right wings).  I popped Slaughter Incarnate at the start of the combat phase with my extra CP from Gore Pilgrims to try and blunt the blow I was receiving.  Lost my left warriors to battleshock. had 7 reavers left at the middle, and 3 on my right wing.  My turn one initiated and I opened the portal of skulls and my priests got all of their blessings and prayers off (managed to do 11 total mortal wounds, 6 on the gor in the middle and 5 on the bestigor on my right).  Charged Garrek's reavers into the left wing bestigor, Exalted deathbringer into the middle, and the khorgorath into the right.  Managed to destroy all of those units and came out with 4 blood tithe turn one.  (Exalted deathbringer with mark of the destroyer is absolute hilarity).

Turn two saw him win priority, his comet falling on his far left board, and me charged by a Ghorgon, Beastlord, and a summoned unit of Bestigor.  He killed a few models and I did 5 wounds to the Ghorgon with blood warriors.  I did a pile in with my wrathmongers into his beastlord and a pile in with my deathbringer, both beasts KIA.  (Again I can't comment enough on the power and hilarity of the buffed deathbringer with the mark of the destroyer)  My turn two saw a wipe of what was left in my territory, my comet falling nearly on my bloodsecrator, and an all but secured victory as he didn't have enough shamen and CP to get his summoning points.  

We played the rest of the game out but we both agreed it was over by the end of my turn two.  One of the craziest and funnest games I've had in awhile!

Takeaways for Khorne for me

• Aspiring Deathbringer's command trait is ridiculously awesome, never fielded him before today
  • Exalted Deathbringer and impaling spear with mark of the destroyer is unreal
  • Garrek's reavers were pumping out a surprising amount of damage for a unit I included with blood tithe in mind. 
Edited by Gash Bauer
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another newbie question, do Portal of Skulls from Bloodsecrator negates the gore-drenched icon from a bloodletter unit ?

I mean, with Portal of skulls you don´t take battleshock tests for khorne units, so gore-drenched icon has no effect, right ?

STILL take your battleshock anyway  - on a roll of 1 add 1d6 Bloodletters.

I just learned after my first game weeks ago - Coyotes First Rule - Never ever give up in rolling Battleshock, even if “there’s no way to lose, what’s the point” the point is every 1/6 Battlehock rolls you add 1d6 Bloodletters.

1 hour ago, Coyote said:

STILL take your battleshock anyway  - on a roll of 1 add 1d6 Bloodletters.

I just learned after my first game weeks ago - Coyotes First Rule - Never ever give up in rolling Battleshock, even if “there’s no way to lose, what’s the point” the point is every 1/6 Battlehock rolls you add 1d6 Bloodletters.

With the updated portal you are not allowed to take battleshock for units effected by it.

11 minutes ago, phizzco said:

Do you have to pay points for the blood letters?

Nope!

• Like 1

The warscroll wording on the bloodsecrator is "do not take battleshock tests for friendly khorne units while they are within 18" of any models with this ability". Note that it doesn't say "you may not" or "don't have to"... etc.

Previously yes you could still choose to take the test for bloodletters in the hopes of rolling a 1 however now I would agree with @Darksteve, that loophole has closed ?

I think that loophole has been closed also, I also recall something of you being able to do it but if you fail you also lose models, like a regular battleshock.

In any case, I'd say that doesn't work anymore. But that's one for the rules page if you want more insight.