AoS 2

An extra page or two for examples and to pre-empt some of the questions you see every day from new players, tweak a couple of rules perhaps and ditch all the battle line junk and go points only is all I'd want in a 2nd edition or new hand book, since we're already wishlisting :)

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend of mine who went to (I believe it was the New Year Open Day this year) said that one of the rules writers did imply that they were working on a revision of the core AoS rules.  No reference as to what changes were being considered or more importantly, time scales was made, but it did largely confirm that something will happen at some point.

My own opinion is that it'll be a refresh and move towards a more structured 40k style ruleset.  So we'll loose the building an army section, possibly terrain and incorporate the FAQ's (by clearing up any ambiguity).  End result will be rules that are purely how to play the game with things like building an army being contained within the Generals Handbook.

If it is anything more than that, then I'd expect it to coincide with new Pitched Battle points.

I reckon it'll be adjustments to the core rules, base to base measurements being one of them. I know of very, very few people who use model to model, for many of the reasons highlighted. I expect a new Stormcast vs [Faction] box, probably Death, and it'll come in three entry-level options. One will be £25, and will have a few models and a mini rules sheet, exactly the same as now, and then there'll be a £50 box and then a £95 box. I think the £95 box will have a 'generic' General's Handbook, more like a big lore book with a bit at the end resembling the Narrative, Open and Matched play sections of the General's Handbook, but without the points so they don't have to constantly update it.

Most importantly, I think it'll have some fantastic models in it that I will instantly want to buy.

I reckon it'll be adjustments to the core rules, base to base measurements being one of them. I know of very, very few people who use model to model, for many of the reasons highlighted. I expect a new Stormcast vs [Faction] box, probably Death, and it'll come in three entry-level options. One will be £25, and will have a few models and a mini rules sheet, exactly the same as now, and then there'll be a £50 box and then a £95 box. I think the £95 box will have a 'generic' General's Handbook, more like a big lore book with a bit at the end resembling the Narrative, Open and Matched play sections of the General's Handbook, but without the points so they don't have to constantly update it.

Most importantly, I think it'll have some fantastic models in it that I will instantly want to buy.

What would make sense is to see the FAQ into the core rules to make it more tight. I don't see them going away from there model of "basic core rules  - warscrolsl are where synergies come from". It seems to be one of the big USP for AoS that nearly all the community likes 

1 minute ago, hughwyeth said:

These "rumours"- is there any indication anywhere that this is happening or is it wishful thinking?

I think it would be good to release an updated 4 pager clarifying some stuff- basically integrate the FAQ/Errata into the 4 pages. 

Wishful thinking, although a reworked and updated version would make sense and for into the old habit of gw releasing a new rule set every other year. A tradition that might be obsolete with the new way of general handbooks

3 hours ago, EMMachine said:

Did you guys play, that models like archaon never could hit anything with his sword, the Heads and claws because the weapons are out of range when measureing from them? Or do you measure from any point of the model for attacking?
Heads have 3" weapon range but are between 4-5" away from any enemy.

Things like that are the point why most players use base to base measuring because the pose of the model shouldn't have influence on the rules (after a model is moving in the background all the time, not holding the same pose for the entire battle).

We just play it exactly as the rules state, measure from the closest points of the models. If the tail is the closest point, you measure from the tail, not the weapon.

Yes, this means at times with models like Archaon, other models will be on top of his base, but we are okay with that.

As for movement, we just use the abstract bubble. If a model can move 5", you measure 5" from the closest point of the model of the model and then place the model in any position as long as no part of the model moved beyond that 5" radius.

I am just saying, some people do play model to model instead of base to base, and it can work just fine.

To bring this thread back on topic, I would think they also will not change the 4 page of rules, but make all the rule tweaks via GHB.

I just think the core rules could do with some updating in terms of editing. Establishing rule "keywords" in the way PP do. For example, a hard definition of "suffered", "inflicted" etc. I don't think the rules model needs changing - I certainly don't want cavalry rules, look-out sir, etc.

Just to make people aware, if there is anything you think needs to be defined either in the rules or via a FAQ, go to the Age of Sigmar Facebook page and post your thoughts there. Keep it constructive and to the point and it will probably make it's way to the design studio if it gets enough likes or similar comments.

Linky - https://www.facebook.com/GWWarhammerAgeofSigmar/

3 hours ago, Bloodmaster said:

Wishful thinking, although a reworked and updated version would make sense and for into the old habit of gw releasing a new rule set every other year. A tradition that might be obsolete with the new way of general handbooks

I thought GW were done with the new ruleset nonsense? Isn't it all in GH/Chapter Approved now and the core rules remain? I don't think there need to be any rules change, just clarification.

Warhammer: Age of Nagash....

to represent these new tumultuous times AoN will use a brand new system of ‘ranking’ models. To help enable this GW will be releasing state of the art bases that enable your models to be easily ‘ranked’

:ph34r:

20 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

I thought GW were done with the new ruleset nonsense? Isn't it all in GH/Chapter Approved now and the core rules remain? I don't think there need to be any rules change, just clarification.

Thats why I wrote:

3 hours ago, Bloodmaster said:

Even if they don't change possibility of double turns it should be - Player who deployed first has +1 to roll and player who lost can steal a turn on a roll of 6 with no modifiers to both rolls. 

That would put an end to one drop armies and would be quite healthy (especially with other older armies and armies that don't have cool Battalions) also that seems to be the case as DoK book is written in that way that its hard to build comeptitve low drop army by low drop I mean 3 drops or less and I love the direction they took with DoK Battalions - makes army building really fun. 

I just hope that if there is a new starting set, a giant setting book will come with it. Only 3 years after launch, I think it would be a thing of beauty. I can already see it!:

Part I The Mortal Realms

Introduction

The nature and cycle of the realms

Azyr - focus Azyrheim

Aqsy - focus Hammerhal

Ghyran - focus Hammerhal

Chamon - the Skyports

Shysh - the Innerlands 

Ulgu - the first realm and Druchiroth

Hysh

Ghur

The Realm of Chaos

The Allpoints

Part II Forces of the Realms

Order

Humans: SCE, Freepeoples (focus: Azyrites and natives). Also short description of Devoted, Collegium, Arsenal

Duardin: The fall of the Iron Krak. Fyreslayers, KO and Dispossessed

Aelves: Focus: Scathbrand and Trueborn. Idoneth and DoK. Teases of Lightkin and Shadowkin. Short description of all trueborn factions 

Chaos

you get the idea 

Part III History of the Realms

The World that Was and its Endtimes

Survivors of the World that Was (short description of incarnate survival and mortals surviving after the miracle of the Mortal Realms formation)

Sigmar’s awakening and his travels 

The Age of Myth

Civilizations

The Pantheon

The Capture of Slaanesh

Fractures and the Coming of Chaos

The Age of Chaos

The first battles

Nagash’s betrayals

The War of Heaven and Death and the closing of Azyr

The Fall of Civilization

The Demise of Nagash

The Age of Sigmar

The formation of the SCE

The Gate of Azyr

The Realmgate Wars

The Allgates

Return of Civilization: Seeds of Hope

The Seeded Corruption

The Time of Tribulations

whatever comes next 

This could be so good; better than old WHFB’s and 40k’s introductions!

If they do anything to protect weaker characters from sniping, it should be something small and specific instead of something like the 40K rules or Look out sir.

Something like: "If a missile weapon is used to target a unit with the Hero keyword with a wounds characteristic of 5 of less, if line of sight passes over another enemy unit, the the attack suffers -1 to hit."

A single simple rule, barely over a single line of text. Nowhere near as potent as the 40K rules and Look Out Sir, and far more interactive.

3 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

If they do anything to protect weaker characters from sniping, it should be something small and specific instead of something like the 40K rules or Look out sir.

Something like: "If a missile weapon is used to target a unit with the Hero keyword with a wounds characteristic of 5 of less, if line of sight passes over another enemy unit, the the attack suffers -1 to hit."

A single simple rule, barely over a single line of text. Nowhere near as potent as the 40K rules and Look Out Sir, and far more interactive.

-2 to hit fungoid cave shaman. Checkmate! 

Archived