11 hours ago, Hounsou83 said:

Hello! i like to start a Dark elves from the old world army, do you have some suggestions for some good and themed list? Thanks!

Hi! Well, if you like Dark Elves, Cities of Sigmar and Anvilgard is your best bet. But you may want to wait a week. GW will release a campaign Book "Broken Realms: Morathi" that will feature new rules for the Cities of Sigmar, with a focus on the former Druchii factions. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

Hi! Well, if you like Dark Elves, Cities of Sigmar and Anvilgard is your best bet. But you may want to wait a week. GW will release a campaign Book "Broken Realms: Morathi" that will feature new rules for the Cities of Sigmar, with a focus on the former Druchii factions. 

Definitely looking forward to a boost to my Darkling Covens.  I would be more than happy if Drusa Kraeth is a two-caster.  I'm pretty sure she will be keyworded to Anvilguard though, so no use in Hallowheart.

It can't be coincidence that the Sorceress bears a very similar name to the Kraith Temple in DoK, surely.  GW are not averse to using very similar names for completely seperate things, but this is in a book called Morathi.

I may have to start rebasing my old metal Witch Aelves.

Edited by Aelfric

I don’t have any interest in Har Kuron, I used to like the concept of shady guys doing their things amid a mundane setting, in a some sort of alliance of convenience.

My army was going to be composed mostly of order serpentis with some stormcast support (a bit of extremis chamber), so in my lore they are an expeditionary force that was out of home during the events of broken realms. The elfs were using the expedition to search for exotic relics and goods (maybe some black dragon eggs) while the stormcast were assigned as some kind of guard/leash, so Sigmar can oversee the whole thing. The idea is that the stormcast and the aelf contingent has been so much time fighting together out there that by the time they return home they have learnt the value of cooperation. Just in time to see everything fall into pieces!

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

So, I was a fan of the Dark Elves look for a long time and always liked the underdogs and WHFB-Factions. Thus, the in-lore-destruction, and the sweet priced box with the Dragon and 20 Footwarriors made me curious about a Dark Elves centered Cities army.  And yes, I checked Har Kuron and Misthaven and Anvilgard looks most sweet for me.

My biggest fear is ending up with an army painted and converted with love that is an auto-loose in each game, without the shadow of a chance. How bad is it about Anvilgard? Any chance to stand a fight? My meta consist of Gloomspite, Seraphon, OBR and Fyreslayers mostly, sometimes a game vs IDK and Sylvaneth.

My Plan includes currently a pure DE-Focused Army made with the SC!-Box and 2 of the new Boxes. I concidered building the Hydra as the Buff of the Dreadlord pushes them nicely. Also a Sorceres Duo with an Umbral Spellportal to provide Support on the Board seems nice, especially with Acidic Spray and 2 -1 to Hit Modifiers. I would go for 20 Darkshards and 20 Dreadspears as Battleline, together with a Hydra (Kharybridis looks cooler but Hydra beeing Serpentis works better with the Dreadlord-CA). Also I love the Dragon Sculpt, especially as Dragons became rare in the setting lately, and the Dreadlord is quite frightenig concidering he also is affected by his own CA and can be easily build with a 3+/5++ for durability. So far it looks like an cool army which heavy relies on magic support to keep up with the enemy, as most core units seem really really bad on their own. Still it seems like Anvilgard offer so much precious rules: Ignoring Battleshock through the CA, powerfull Spells and Synnergies (Bladewind and Acid Spray for example look really nasty) and all in exchange for some models that you have to sacrifice.

Can I have you opion on this approch? Or maybe someone has some Battlereports to share (Anvilgard ones seem quite rare)?

• 2 weeks later...

I want to share some of my experiences. I've played quite a few games with Anvilgard and used mostly Darkelf units. My 40 man blob of Corsairs w/ double handweapons, supported by a Fleetmaster is gold. I don't know why many people consider Corsairs "trash tier". 40 Scoundrels are cheap and with a bit of support punch way above their weightclass! Park a Hurricanum behind them for +1 to-hit and/or debuff the enemy with Vitriolic Spray and they just shred!

Another unit I want to highlight is the Kharibdyss. For 170p I find it a solid monster. I've used it in Har Kuron, Misthavn, Tempest Eye and ofc Anvilgard. With Acid Blood it is quite nasty! I actually like to run 2 of these beasts if the points allow. They are good distractions, it doesn't really hurt when I lose one and they have a huge psychological impact on my opponents as everyone I play against just sees the huge model and either tries to keep away from it or they focus a lot of ressources on it, even though it is nowhere near as dangerous as e.g. a Mangler Squig etc. 

So I highly recommend trying out the Corsairs + Fleetmaster and a Kharibdyss or two.  With buffs from a Hurricanum or some magic support they are suprisingly deadly!

On 12/3/2020 at 10:50 AM, Causalis said:

I don't know why many people consider Corsairs "trash tier".

Well some guys just have tendency to rate v.low units that are in some way not competitive. And especially earlier it was somewhat unfair assessment. Nowadays tough...

40 Corsairs supported by Fleetmaster can do some work yes, and they are quite resistant vs shooting. Problem lies in what you can get for similar points. Because after last summer changes 30 Executioners cost 300 pts, 40 Corsairs are 280pts.

If you than assume that you can get 10 model frontage into enemy (so 20 models fighting) Corsairs with Fleetmaster support will be on par with Executioners. With Fleetmaster and 1 CP spent. Without support it's not a contest. You could argue that Corsairs will fare better vs shooting, but after losing 20 models both, 10 Executioners fight as good as 20 Corsairs. Granted in this situation you at least can have option of doubling output of Corsairs for CP. Another problem in his direct Dark Elf-Dark Elf comparison is save value in melee, Corsairs stands on 5+, so if they are attacked first they will suffer greatly. Add -1 rend and Executioners will save twice as much damage as Corsairs, moreover Executioners get more value of re-roll save triumph.

So about that Vitriolic Spray? Well it's around 22 dmg for buffed Corsairs vs 20 dmg of Executioners. Not really great difference in scenario predicated on casting difficult spell. And of course due to MW generation the better save, the better Executioners will be. Facing Chaos Warriors with rerolling 4+ save means Executioners are twice as deadly as supported Corsairs.

When it comes to utility Corsairs offer more board control ability with 10 extra models. Executioners however can be used to fuel Sorceress spells, and thanks to Dark Elf spellcasters Command Ability can run and charge.

I like Corsairs, I really do. They however need some help. Incidentally Kharybdyss need some help too (one of my favorite models).

• LOVE IT! 1

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this is the right place 

whats people’s thoughts on running Order Serpentis exclusively?
what’s the strengths and weaknesses of the faction?
which Cities work best for them?
what improvements does the faction need if they’re considered bad?

Drakespawn Knights, to me seems like their lances should have 2 attacks, but when you compare them to the Dreadspears/Dreadblade/Dreadshards they only have 1 attack too

Only the darkshards are good.

The chariot isnt bad but neiter great.

Dreadspears a dreadblade are 100% useless,as objetive holder they are too much expensive and his damage is a joke for 90 points. They must have 2 attacks

The cold one knigth are great for his cost as tanks,but his damage is low for his cost,they would need more damage to be good.

The black dragon have the stats of others armys 220\50 points behemots. He isnt bad but is overcosted for 50\80 points

On 2/17/2021 at 3:46 AM, Joseph Mackay said:

Not sure if this is the right place 

whats people’s thoughts on running Order Serpentis exclusively?
what’s the strengths and weaknesses of the faction?
which Cities work best for them?
what improvements does the faction need if they’re considered bad?

Drakespawn Knights, to me seems like their lances should have 2 attacks, but when you compare them to the Dreadspears/Dreadblade/Dreadshards they only have 1 attack too

I play some Drakespawn Knights in some of my Hammerhal lists. I desperatly need the hit buff from the twinstone on the dragon. The cp farming from Hammerhals helps too, to get the +1 hit and +1 wound on the Drakespawns and the dragon. At the moment I am also running a Knight-Azyros, to get the maximum out of the Order Serpentis units.

My personal opinion is, that they need this buffs to really deal good damage. It opens me another buffed, offensive flank in addition to my Hammerhalian Lancers, when I want to field a cavalry list.

• 5 months later...

For the die hard Anvilgard fans, I wrote a list I thought could be very fun and wanted some input from those that have stuck it through

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Anvilgard (Illicit Dealings: Dabbling in Sorcery)
- Mortal Realm: Aqshy
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage (280)*
- General
- Command Trait: Blackfang Crimelord
- Artefact: Drakescale Cloak
- Lore of Dark Sorcerery: Shadow Daggers
Doralia ven Denst (115)*
- City Role: General's Adjutant
Sorceress (95)*
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of Dark Sorcerery: Vitriolic Spray

Battleline
10 x Bleakswords (95)*
20 x Freeguild Handgunners (210)*
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1
Kharibdyss (165)***
- Drakeblood Curse: Fell Gaze
War Hydra (170)***
- Drakeblood Curse: Acidic Blood
War Hydra (170)***
- Drakeblood Curse: Jutting Bones

Units
10 x Shadow Warriors (120)**

Endless Spells & Invocations
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
**Hunters of the Heartlands
***Alpha-Beast Pack

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 137
Drops: 7

13 hours ago, BaronBanana said:

For the die hard Anvilgard fans, I wrote a list I thought could be very fun and wanted some input from those that have stuck it through

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Anvilgard (Illicit Dealings: Dabbling in Sorcery)
- Mortal Realm: Aqshy
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage (280)*
- General
- Command Trait: Blackfang Crimelord
- Artefact: Drakescale Cloak
- Lore of Dark Sorcerery: Shadow Daggers
Doralia ven Denst (115)*
- City Role: General's Adjutant
Sorceress (95)*
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of Dark Sorcerery: Vitriolic Spray

Battleline
10 x Bleakswords (95)*
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1
Kharibdyss (165)***
- Drakeblood Curse: Fell Gaze
War Hydra (170)***
- Drakeblood Curse: Acidic Blood
War Hydra (170)***
- Drakeblood Curse: Jutting Bones

Units

Endless Spells & Invocations
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
**Hunters of the Heartlands
***Alpha-Beast Pack

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 137
Drops: 7

Well, I'd rather take Spray on both wizards, as that spell is the most powerful one in the whole book, especially in the current meta, and losing a chance to cast it because Sorceress has died would be quite devastating. They do have good spells on their own anyway.

Also, I do believe you can't have an adjutant with 8 wound general and you can't take 2 extra Drakeblood Curses, unless you can take the same battle trait twice?

By the way! Has anyone tried 2x Dreadlords with Shield and Amulet of Destiny AND Drakescale Cloak? Why have a single Monster hero with 5+ ward when you can have 2, right? And with Drakeblood Curses to boot.

8 hours ago, Zeblasky said:

Well, I'd rather take Spray on both wizards, as that spell is the most powerful one in the whole book, especially in the current meta, and losing a chance to cast it because Sorceress has died would be quite devastating. They do have good spells on their own anyway.

Also, I do believe you can't have an adjutant with 8 wound general and you can't take 2 extra Drakeblood Curses, unless you can take the same battle trait twice?

By the way! Has anyone tried 2x Dreadlords with Shield and Amulet of Destiny AND Drakescale Cloak? Why have a single Monster hero with 5+ ward when you can have 2, right? And with Drakeblood Curses to boot.

True, i forgot about the wound limit.  I did some asking around and core battalions =/= warscroll battalions for taking additional curses.  I'll definitely fix those

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I don't have any idea.. I am guessing first round only. so I am ignoring that for now. 

Can people critique my army list: Total 1985pts - not looking for ultra competitive, just fun. 

200pts

General: Freeguild General  Blackfang Crimelord, Venomfang blade

Assassin 

Runelord General's Adjutant, 

Sorceress on Black Dragon  Acidic Blood, 1. Drakescale Cloak, 3. Vitriolic Spray, Darkling Sword,

Celestial Hurricanum

Battleline 

3 Demigryph Knights, Demigryph Knight's Lance

10 Freeguild Crossbowmen

10 Freeguild Greatswords, Honoured Retinue, Hornblower, Standard Bearer, 

20 Freeguild Guard, Drummers, Freeguild Halberd, Reinforced, Standard Bearer, 

Other

5 Dark Riders

20 Irondrakes, Grudgehammer Torpedo, Hornblowers, Reinforced, Standard Bearer

Artillary

Helblaster Volley Gun [125pts]

Endless Spell: The Burning Head [20pts]

Edited by FRoper

• 7 months later...

Been thinking about big monsters as battleline in various armies, then flipping through my Cities Tome, and I had forgotten about the lowly War Hydra, and Kharybdisses.  Such cool monsters!  Who has tried Anvilgard with a bunch of these guys?  Not sure how long Cities like this will be around but I'd love to try this:

Anvilgard, Illicit Dealings: extra Drakeblood Curse

275 Dreadlord on Black Dragon (general/Slayer of Monsters maybe/Drakescale Cloak)

280 Sorceress on Black Dragon (Arcane Tome/Vitriolic Spray)

90   Sorceress

90  Sorceress

85 Assassin

85 Dreadspears x10

240 Shadow Warriors x20

495 3x 1 War Hydra

300 2x1 Kharybdiss

50  Soulsnare Shackles maybe?

Dreadlord can give +1 to wound rolls for all the Hydras in range, marching up as a group.  Sorceresses can sacrifice Dreadspears to get spells off reliably for a couple turns.  Shadow Warriors outflanking to cause mayhem.  Kharybdisses....kinda stink but so weird looking!  Maybe getting rid of any endless spell to net 2 more Hydras is a better bet.  I dunno, seems fun and actually not super crappy?