RIP Hedonites of Slaanesh Battletome (2021)

I don't see it as too bad, if they're just two new warscrolls :) AoS has the benefit of free warscrolls so any additional ones come at no additional cost. The battalions are also pretty unspecific in HoS so these guys can fit in them no problem.

I very rarely look to my battletome for warscrolls anyway. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

It's just two new PDFs dude. The Lumineth battletome was a comically messy situation, this is pretty much nothing.

13 minutes ago, Beliman said:

THE WORLD IS DOOMED!!!!!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!

But it's a difference between 'complete' and 'incomplete' still. Time period when you only needed to carry one book to the games is over after two months. The book is still new and you must download extra rules to supplement it.

Especially that here we're talking about characters that literally showed up in the narrative right before the battletome came out. So the battletome does seem like a reasonable place to introduce them.

Honestly, I see it as a solid argument for all those claiming that printed rules should be the thing of the past. After lumineth thing people's trust about rulebooks' expiration date has been damaged already, and yet, most still bought the book and they will buy the next book despite knowing they might need extra rules right after it. And, I think, they'd buy the book even if it was lore, illustrations and photos only. Infinity does that, works just fine.

• Like 7

@dekay Your point about living rulesets vs printed rules is a good one and it's bizarre that they didn't show up in the battletome but honestly when it comes to a pair of warscrolls for special characters, I have a hard time taking complaints about completeness/incompleteness or even the principle of the thing seriously. Lumineth was a big deal, this is barely an addendum. The battletome isn't seriously harmed by not having their warscrolls.

• Like 2

I'll take new models over no new models any day.

It's also common knowledge that GWs schedule had a wrench thrown in it bc of covid. I don't think that excuses what they did with lumineth, but 2 warscrolls for a special character is not something to complain about 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Well, if those two models are the only update they get, they wouldn't need a new battletome. Then again, I've heard major complaints about the current one so this might be a blessing (outside of lost cash). But hey, if you worried about your money, you wouldn't collect GW stuff. 

I don't think focusing on the battletome being outdated is the good point here -if it's only two warscrolls then it's no big deal.

What we as consumers should be aware of is the (possible?) emergence of a new strategy of staggered releases, which makes it harder to make informed choices when it comes to what you need to buy to build your army. Before you could look at a big release and pick what you needed and be good for some time, now delaying purchases is even more important

• Like 5

While I understand the frustration about an "outdated" battletome after just two months, consider one implication: living with an up-to-date battletme means nothing new for as long as it stays this way. So yes, the book might be "outdated" now - not really actually, because it is still 100% usable - but you get new models for your army already!

What really gets my eyebrows raised is why GW thought this was the correct schedule for these models. Why not as part of the battletome already? Why not at a later point? Having them "wait" for the BR story to catch up feels completely arbitrary to me...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Darnok said:

While I understand the frustration about an "outdated" battletome after just two months, consider one implication: living with an up-to-date battletme means nothing new for as long as it stays this way. So yes, the book might be "outdated" now - not really actually, because it is still 100% usable - but you get new models for your army already!

What really gets my eyebrows raised is why GW thought this was the correct schedule for these models. Why not as part of the battletome already? Why not at a later point? Having them "wait" for the BR story to catch up feels completely arbitrary to me...

Books are written and finished for a long time before they are printed and distributed. We don't know how big the gap between these releases was supposed to be before covid

What I am concerned about is a little different, but directly connected to the topic.

If GW keeps this course of bringing out stuff for armies, that where thechnically "remade" or introduced ( what ever it is ), it speeds up the need to buy stuff, wich is cool, and very very often also effective in the rules.

Most people just can't go into the shop and instantly buy their 2000 points list. So they will make a list of what they want and go for it. But new releases, FAQs and erratas will absolutely distress them. Why? Because they will see, that the other stuff might be outdated, or new stuff just looks cooler. Normally, that happens in the hobby. We will buy new stuff, and that's ok, don't get my point wrong. But the speed this preocess happens, is getting ridiculous.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dekay said:

But it's a difference between 'complete' and 'incomplete' still. Time period when you only needed to carry one book to the games is over after two months. The book is still new and you must download extra rules to supplement it.

Especially that here we're talking about characters that literally showed up in the narrative right before the battletome came out. So the battletome does seem like a reasonable place to introduce them.

Honestly, I see it as a solid argument for all those claiming that printed rules should be the thing of the past. After lumineth thing people's trust about rulebooks' expiration date has been damaged already, and yet, most still bought the book and they will buy the next book despite knowing they might need extra rules right after it. And, I think, they'd buy the book even if it was lore, illustrations and photos only. Infinity does that, works just fine.

Lumineth was a causality of covid. I’m not convinced gw intended to replace the battletome so quickly. I believe the second battletome is what we were supposed to get from the start, but something when wrong and the rest of the models weren’t going to be out in time, so due to gws ‘no model-no rules’ policy they had to remove stuff from the battletome. Considering how much hype Lumineth was getting, if they’d delayed them entirely until the ‘new’ stuff was ready, they would have been receiving a lot of complaints everywhere, probably worse than the Cursed City complaints 

1 hour ago, Cronotekk said:

I've never used my battletome for warscrolls, the app is just too convenient for that.

This. Additionally, the app is the most *official* source of warscrolls as it’s the only format that gets updated with the errata etc. the PDF downloads on the webstore the 100% just photocopy’s of either the physical warscroll card or the page from a battletome. Beyond that, they never update them

11 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

Lumineth was a causality of covid. I’m not convinced gw intended to replace the battletome so quickly. I believe the second battletome is what we were supposed to get from the start, but something when wrong and the rest of the models weren’t going to be out in time, so due to gws ‘no model-no rules’ policy they had to remove stuff from the battletome. Considering how much hype Lumineth was getting, if they’d delayed them entirely until the ‘new’ stuff was ready, they would have been receiving a lot of complaints everywhere, probably worse than the Cursed City complaints 

i don't think it was COVID because the first battletome was probably done in 2019 before the pandemic, they started advertising the spring army release in January before the spread even happen I think what may have cause the split was rather 40K 9th edition that was slated for that summer and they couldn't everything out in that deadline before production began for 40K

41 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

believe the second battletome is what we were supposed to get from the start,

What? The first book was printed long before the release of the Lumineths... It was all planed. What wasn't planned was the fact that they didn't manage to release all the models of the first wave before the new 40K edition.

People will whine about anything.

GW said Broken realms will touch on every army, and the new slaanesh battletome was not tied to any specific Broken realms book yet released.

And you thought that meant every army but mine will have supplemental rules in a broken realms book? by the end of this every army is meant to have rules in at least two places, Slaanesh despite getting a new tome, is no different. 

Silly.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, shinros said:

Technically the slaanesh battletome was meant to come out last year, of course, covid happened

So, basically... Nurgle is to blame ;)

Anyway, yes - the whole pandemic situation is really messing up things, not only at GW...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howdyhedberg said:

I felt like op when I saw the email from gw.

But I would also rather get new models than waiting forever for a new update.

But I wish gw had a digital code in AoS battletomes to get them on your phone with updated rules...

Be careful what you wish for. Gw did this for 40k but as a result they stopped doing digital codexes completely and introduced an app that charged a high price for limited functionality. There is now no way to have the lore and art of the 40k codexes in a digital format.  A more sensible solution is for gw to offer digital battletomes which are updated with every faq, points change and updated/new warscrolls. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Immediate DLC - whether just before, at the exact same time as, or just after - new army books is the new GW model. You're seeing it in 40k too. It isn't enough to charge people $50 for a new army book these days, ideally you charge them another $50 for the DLC too. If they had given you these in the new Slaanesh battletome as they obviously could have, it wouldn't be as easy to induce you to buy the new BR book. 

Edited by yukishiro1
  • Confused 2