Broken Realms: Teclis - SPOILER Discussion + Lore Summary

43 minutes ago, xking said:

Jack you are just overreacting and being a hater. I mean you overreacted when stormcast got the stormkeep rules,  complaining that they were overpowered. Even when stormcast players were telling you that the rules did very little for the army.   And now you are overreacting again. 

Aha. In what manner am I overreacting? I am not a hater I simply see things critically. I don‘t have to adore and like everything GW does, especially if the quality is lacking. 
I don‘t know how what I wrote sounds in your head but it is not hate shouting it‘s a cynical „aha“ while rolling my eyes.

I am a Stormcast player myself btw and the liberator bomb works against casual players. Spoiler: It‘s not fun and not thought through like a lot of GW rules. 

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Confused 1

I love the callbacks to the End Times, and the stuff with Alarielle is interesting. Presumably the threat Tyrion is facing is Slaanesh' newborn, and the idea of life being ascendant over death now hopefully means Sylvaneth will be getting some love soon. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dreddships said:

Honestly DEEPLY disappointed this is the way they went. GW knows how to write a narrative that isn't 'the bad guys fail at everything everytime'.  

Like not a single success. Not a single battle won. Nothing.

And that ending? 

Nah. Not for me. 

It feels like Death, after finally getting something worthwhile narratively, got shafted so hard to show 'big hat Aelf strong' to the extent that literally everything that could go right for them just goes right for the sake of 'theyre GW's favourites now'

To add on my last post, this is what it feels like. Lumineth seemed to lose next to nothing in the war. This book literally reduced death to an NPC faction, I could be wrong, but that's how it appears.

Edited by shinros
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, silverstu said:

The stuff around Alarielle is very interesting, the idea of Life flowing through the realms and not necessarily being a good thing

I am really keen on what the future of BR has in store for Alarielle :)

Maybe we‘ll be getting the inverse necroquake? This might lead to a resurgence of Nurgle or new kinds of Sylvaneth, Insects etc. Maybe godbeasts will be returned to life (Behemat). Looking at you @KingBrodd :D

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, shinros said:

I was thinking of dropping cash oh Soulblight, not really feeling it anymore considering GW's handling of the death narrative. 

No worries mate! Soulblight will be Fine! I don‘t expect we‘ll be able to play Nagash (which is a shame...) but our Vampires have so much character that they‘ll carry their story and army by themselfs :)

I however agree that the handling of the latest death narrative is disappointing. However Nagash always returns and maybe he will have his first victory in the near future :)

5 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Maybe we‘ll be getting the inverse necroquake? This might lead to a resurgence of Nurgle or new kinds of Sylvaneth, Insects etc. Maybe godbeasts will be returned to life (Behemat). Looking at you @KingBrodd :D

That would be awesome! 

32 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

He'll be back. It's implied that AoS Arkhan was more a creation of Nagash's memories than literally the same person from the Old World (something Arkhan himself muses on). 

My guess is Neferata and Mannfred will go to war with one another directly and as Shyish is being torn apart, he'll pop up in the middle of their inevitable duel and tell them to get back in line (and the Nagash will probably appear above them).

I suspect he'll be back as a Bonereaper himself lorewise (meaning a construct and not deathrattle-lich) lorewise. Modelwise and rulewise...not so much.

But I really hope he'll be back somehow. He's my favorite character so I'll be pissed if he just disapeared from the setting.

Want to see the book by myself before judging if I find the story interesting but the small bits about Alarielle seems good...Nagash, Teclis and the war between them not so much...

I also agree that Nagash is poorly written in most GW lore.  None seems to grasp his power and motivations to make him really interesting. Which is a shame since he was really omnious and ancient mythical evil being. Only exception to me was Josh Reynolds in both Soul wars and Undying King.

Edited by Harioch

9 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Yeah it sounds really interesting .. Alarielle sounds like she's chucking her weight around, I think Ghur and Gyhran will be resurgent. I'd love to see the Sylvaneth get more forest spirits, not a fan of the design of the revenants. Life being more vigorous should have wide implications hopefully. 

This might be a tad off topic, but do y’all remember when that White Dwarf that we thought spoilt the plot for BR:Teclis came out and we were all like “urgh, it’s just like Psychic Awakening, nothing’s gonna happen and there’ll be no repercussions.”? How times have changed lmao

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I think on a meta narrative level having Nagash be defeated is an essential component for story telling. Nagash is a pure existential threat that goes beyond 'Chaos' or 'Order' as he is the embodiment of death and the lord of entropy. Invariably Nagash will win out as the old saying goes, "Death only has to win once". I believe that it is important to show Heroes and Gods dance with death and come out on top as that is a core component of most heroic epics. It is possible to temporarily beat Death, but never to truly defeat Death in the long run. 

• Like 15

Personally, I find the events of BR: Teclis exciting. The narrative of this book, much like BR: Morathi, shows that big events and impactful changes are possible in the Mortal Realms. Nagash not just being defeated, but destroyed along with Arkhan (for now) is defninitely a ballsier move than I expected from GW. While I can't personally understand the griping about the fact that Nagash was defeated (he was the main antagonist of the Soul Wars arc, and we know what usually happens to an antagonist at the end of a story), I can see why some people think how he was defeated is unearned. Still, I overall prefer this over a static universe in which nothing ever changes just to make sure that nobody's faction ever has to lose.

I am now pretty hopeful for the future of GA: Death, though. As prediced, Soulblight are now free to do their own thing, which is nice. There is now narrative space for non-Nagash loyalist Death factions, such as certain Kings of the Tomb. For those sad about the demise of Arkhan, he'll probably be back in a shiny new Ossiarch Bonereaper body soon enough. Not to mention that there is a 0% chance that Nagash is gone for good. The threat of the return of the Grand Bone Daddy still looms over Death. We know that their freedom is temporary in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 17

10 minutes ago, JustAsPlanned said:

This might be a tad off topic, but do y’all remember when that White Dwarf that we thought spoilt the plot for BR:Teclis came out and we were all like “urgh, it’s just like Psychic Awakening, nothing’s gonna happen and there’ll be no repercussions.”? How times have changed lmao

Then
"Nothing happened this sucks!"
Now
"Somethings happened and it sucks!"

I'm only joking!  I can understand if you don't like the story ramifications. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, King Under the Mountain said:

Then
"Nothing happened this sucks!"
Now
"Somethings happened and it sucks!"

I'm only joking!  I can understand if you don't like the story ramifications. 

Pffft nah, I’m actually pretty happy with the way the story went. I just hope that the remaining BR books live up to the standard set by this and Morathi.

21 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

I believe that it is important to show Heroes and Gods dance with death and come out on top as that is a core component of most heroic epics.

Indeed. Yet the epic is only good if the victor had to pay deerly to win. In this case the Price is neglectable. LRL just smashed Death utterly without any meaningful downside. Cellenar should have died or Eltharion should have died along with Arkhan.

LRL basically just ran down their checklist and moved on.

The outcome of the story is okay, yet how we got there is the disappointment.

A more satisfying version of what happened:

A whole Region /continent of Hysh becomes uninhabitable due to the forces of death. A whole subfaction of the LRL is eradicated, Celennar dies (but will be reborn in time) and Eltharion is MIA. The LRL took a major hit but were able to banish death for now. And Teclis invokes a grant ritual, sacrificing hundreds of mages to end the Necroquake by invoking a new rune.

- This would be a story of fighting, worries, hardships yet in the end hope prevailed.

The current story was simple Mary-Sueing of the LRL imo. :)

Edited by JackStreicher
Spelling... cell phone Cross-Language autocorrect
  • Like 10
  • Confused 6

I can relate to the 'Nagash is gone now, Vampires can do stuff now' idea in theory but for me it's really pretty hollow and thin because of how the story is told.

If we think of Nagash as a representation of totalitarian control then I think there was lots of room for interesting story potential there for his influence thinning out as the area of his control increased, of stories of other Death forces realising his grasp is weakening and engaging in insurgent campaigns to free themselves from his influence. Maybe we look at Nagash's mental state as his personality becomes split further and further between all his minions and he looses track of who and what he is supposed to be in control of. Maybe we still end up with Nagash dead, but it comes from within Death itself.

As is, what we get is, the forces of Death go out to achieve something, all fail miserably, Teclis destroys Nagash and undoes the effects of the Soul Wars with a wave of a pen and the Vampires are left to squabble amongst themselves ( because apparently it's impossible to tell stories about vampires without them behaving like entitled children) for the scraps from Teclis' table.

If you like the story, I'm happy for you, it just feels to me... unsatisfying.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

Imagine if there was a forum where people could react to or comprehend the AoS background - or even a short summary/précis - on a deeper level than an immediate hysterical reaction of “my favourite plastic mans didn’t win, epic fail GW, everything’s ruined”. That’d be wild.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 10
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Imagine if there was a forum where people could react to or comprehend the AoS background on a deeper level than a hysterical “my favourite plastic mans didn’t win, epic fail GW”. That’d be wild.

No because GW are literally repeating a story they did over five years ago, how is that good writing? Broken realms morathi was far more compelling.

Edited by shinros
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, shinros said:

No because GW are literally repeating a story they did over five years ago, how is that good writing? Broken realms morathi was far more compelling.

I did say it was good or bad or pass any judgement and yet you still flip out with the same hysteria that characterises most responses here. You prove my point perfectly, thank you. This is the forum lately, I guess.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, shinros said:

What on earth are you talking about lol

Why are people overreacting to Lumineth vanquishing Nagash? Did you feel the same way when the necroquake asserted Nagash's dominance? It is quite obvious that the various powers will wax and wane in their supremacy..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2