Broken Realms: Teclis - SPOILER Discussion + Lore Summary

Going with @Clan's Cynic idea for BR: Morathi, I think it's a good time to start a spoilers and discussion thread about what's going to happen in BR Teclis, instead of the rumours thread. We already have some information from White Dwarf and the Broken Realms short stories. 

wQ4eTKDmV5kUIS3q.jpg.945f97f27c1573aa3a4b069e21578e2b.jpg

I've summarized the LRL relvant information from the February White Dwarf here: 

Spoiler

About what's in White Dwarf (Feb 2021): It's part of GW's first Flashpoint (kind of lore-based campaigns) for AoS: The center of the story is the "Charnel Kingdom", a FEC kingdom lying in the mountains of Ymetrica. It's mostly about a war between OBR and FEC in Ymetrica, but the introduction to that campaign provides a bit of information about what happens in BR Teclis: Nagash has been always worried about an attack on Shyish from Hysh. It's the only land he can't look into (because light magic prevents it), and his thinks that Teclis might be one of the few beings around capable of matching him ins spell craft (and therefore spoiling his plan - he already has yet another one...). When the Lumineth invade, this happens (quote from the WD):

“When the Lumineth Realm-lords finally marched out from Hysh to check his dark ambitions, Nagash met their aggression with typical cold ire – but also a flicker of relief. At last, Teclis, one of the few beings perhaps capable of matching him in matters of spellcraft, had shown his hand. War raged between the aelves and the dead across the Ossiarch Empire: necropolises were toppled, and upon the plains of Praetoris, a host of the elite Bonereapers was defeated by the finest of Hysh’s military orders. The Ossiarch Bonereapers, however, had elevated the fashioning of undead warrior-constructs to macabre artistry. In their ancestral heartlands, and with the bones of so many aelven dead at their disposal, they were soon able to replenish their losses. All this was known to the Lumineth, but theirs was a war to spark hope in those peoples ground under the heel of the Ossiarch Empire, to prove that the deathless tyrants could be resisted.”

Then Nagash goes on the offense and invades Ymetica. He puts Arkhan the Black in charge of the invasion. Arkhan, leading his Null Myriad into Ymetrica has some initial success (for example wiping out he city of Elthondu, which is on the Ymetrica map from the LRL Battletome), also because most of the FEC of the Charnel Kingdom ally with him, under their Archregent Gorstane Mortevell (which is the named Archregent of the new battle box regiment). But then, the Lumineth start to burn the bones of their fallen after every battle, and the OBR run out of material to build new forces and have to retreat into the the hazardous outer perimeter of Hysh. That's when Arkhan has the idea to use the bones of his FEC allies to replenish his forces. - and the main story of the WD campaign starts (battle between FEC & OBR)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

1 hour ago, LuminethMage said:

I know that’s a joke, but I wonder if they really clash “in-god” during BR Teclis, and if so, if that was actually a good idea. 

I am more interested in Tyrion or Malerion having some narrative presence even if it is indirect. I also would like Nagash and Teclis to have a diplomatic confrontation as they are both brilliant tacticians that are experts in Machiavellian statecraft... and kinda dubious in such dealings. But also setting up a direct battle between the two for 3.0. 

Although if the speculation about this serving as a climax to the Soul Wars than I think there might be a more direct conflict between the two.

Edited by Neverchosen

Probably Malerion won’t feature, if so I think he’d be involved in BR Morathi, what was going on there had presumably much more direct impact on him.

Tyrion we might actually hear a bit more about, his “voice” as well as his chosen student being part of this wave of models, and we know that Nagash/Arkhan are invading Hysh as part of the storyline. Invasions into his realm are very much Tyrion’s cup of tea, so there is a chance we see him (but then Malerion played no role in BR Morathi, so who knows).

well almost all the Aelf gods are on the Dramatis Personae page except for Morathi, even Tyrion has an excerpt in it. what role they play maybe small

from what i can read

Malerion, The Shadow King.

Ruler of Ulgu, Master of Deception and embittered son of Morathi

• LOVE IT! 2

6 hours ago, Lord of the Isle said:

Looks like Mally IS appearing

That is amazing news hopefully we get some more artwork and a better understanding of his followers. I am hoping they are are not entirely draconic or demonic in appearance. I would much rather Aelves riding ferocious beasts with only a few taking on their appearance. If we can have pointy Aelves I hope we can also get (more) Spikey Aelves. 

My prediction going forward: Broken Realms will set up all the Aelven factions for 3.0 before focus shifts towards Destruction and Azyr (even if they are not all presented on the tabletop). People will complain and memes will be made about Aelves getting to much focus but when all is said and done AOS will have a nice balance of armies and fantasy races represented. Duardin will probably get a similar narrative push in 3.0.

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 1

Sprews and Brews just posted the summary of the story.

Well...

Arkhan is destroyed. Nagash is destroyed and his books are destroyed as well. The good guys won the day once again without taking any noteable casualties. It sucks (imo). Nagash is  ALWAYS defeated no matter what. He never succeeds at all. 
So we know now how the Soulblight Gravelords book happens and why it will not feature Nagash...

Edited by JackStreicher

2 minutes ago, Svalack said:

Is katakros a mortarch? The book hints that there are currently 5. I assume the usual 3 + lady O are 4 of those. Who is the 5th?

Yes Katakros is the Mortarch of the Necropolis. So he is the 5th one 🙂.

Edited by Harioch

Honestly DEEPLY disappointed this is the way they went. GW knows how to write a narrative that isn't 'the bad guys fail at everything everytime'.  

Like not a single success. Not a single battle won. Nothing.

And that ending? 

Nah. Not for me. 

It feels like Death, after finally getting something worthwhile narratively, got shafted so hard to show 'big hat Aelf strong' to the extent that literally everything that could go right for them just goes right for the sake of 'theyre GW's favourites now'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The stuff around Alarielle is very interesting, the idea of Life flowing through the realms and not necessarily being a good thing, Kragnos seems to be set up as a new big bad.. I'm not sure how this links with my hopes of deer/centaur elves. Alarielle is sounding very powerful in this book, interested to see what it means for her and the Sylvaneth. 

I like the mention of a Kharadron ship mistress too, sounds good. 

Edited by silverstu
  • LOVE IT! 1

Uncontrollable life makes me think of rampant trees / spirits not elves and centaurs though, and i dont see see either of them buddying up with orks. I do remember reading that the savage half of orion was imprisoned by her near greywater fastness i believe? Maybe that could be a thing.

Edited by Svalack