Squatting Watch: Alerts for Discontinued Models

13 minutes ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

Up to now, everything seems to be out of stock except the loremaster. I really wonder why so many people just don't buy those ready to be discontinued model before GW decide to discontinue them and wait to the last moment. If there are so many people buying them previously, I don't think GW will discontinue them. 

When I wanted to buy the general and archer tuesday, just because I wanted them for my army, they already would not go to my cart, later they were confirmed no longer available.

Half of the people that buy now are Ebay scalpers, the others want something for their army and simply did not want to buy yet because they still had unpainted plastic, or were waiting for the updated warscrolls in CoS.

26 minutes ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

Too bad much of the free people line is intact like the Guard. I had hoped those would go which would indicate a closer revamp to the core line of humans.. man those guys suck haha

The guards and crossbowmen suck, the rest, except the dreadful general we are now left with, are glorious. This general is still better than 95% of the Stormcast though.

Edited by zilberfrid

Well, this is a sorry development. I can't say that I'm entirely surprised. Most of the stuff I expected to be cut has been, even if its been a bit worse than my expectations.

Fortunately I think I've managed to get all of the models I wanted to complete my armies, so I'm effectively "safe". I've been through this before with Tomb Kings, and then goblins, so at least I'm used to it by now!

I was really looking forward to getting a cities of Sigmar battletome, but a bit less so now.

I think instead my next project is going to be "Cities against Sigmar" I like the idea of a rag tag collection of Dwarven, and Aelven armies united in the face of Azyrite oppression. I imagine them being hunted across the realms by battalions of Knights Excelsior, sworn to wipe out all cultural diversity from their tyranical God King's realm. Desperate last stands, and heroic sieges will abound as they fight to the last man to help all of their civilians flee into hiding.

I'll see if I can do it using the rules in the new book, if not I might try to write up some homebrew rules for the stuff that is going to legends. Either way, Down with the God King! Let the Rebellion begin!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 5

3 minutes ago, firebat said:

Why would anyone in their right mind be buying the mess that GW had put High Elves in? Why would anyone sensible be buying armies that GW had given little inclination they were still actively supporting? Why would people be buying battle line troops that weren't available to buy except in some legacy starter set from a previous edition? Why would anyone be buying tiny factions with one unit and one character and that's all you get if you need to use those troops as battle line? Gosh it's amazing these kits weren't flying off the shelves they weren't even on to begin with. What a silly argument lol

No it isnt. My first AoS product ever was Spire of Dawn, my wife gave me.

I liked the product line and in AoS 1.0 it was very competitive and fun,  so i kept buying and waiting for my time in the Sun.  We became weaker and weaker with new rules, but hey, Skaven only got a book this year! 

When the cities book was anounced we felt a lot of joy, and now we got squashed. Sorry if the discussion doesnt matter to you,  but it does for some of us.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EccentricCircle said:

Well, this is a sorry development. I can't say that I'm entirely surprised. Most of the stuff I expected to be cut has been, even if its been a bit worse than my expectations.

Fortunately I think I've managed to get all of the models I wanted to complete my armies, so I'm effectively "safe". I've been through this before with Tomb Kings, and then goblins, so at least I'm used to it by now!

I was really looking forward to getting a cities of Sigmar battletome, but a bit less so now.

I think instead my next project is going to be "Cities against Sigmar" I like the idea of a rag tag collection of Dwarven, and Aelven armies united in the face of Azyrite oppression. I imagine them being hunted across the realms by battalions of Knights Excelsior, sworn to wipe out all cultural diversity from their tyranical God King's realm. Desperate last stands, and heroic sieges will abound as they fight to the last man to help all of their civilians flee into hiding.

I'll see if I can do it using the rules in the new book, if not I might try to write up some homebrew rules for the stuff that is going to legends. Either way, Down with the God King! Let the Rebellion begin!

My Freeguild stands with you! They pay homage to Taal over Sigmar, and I myself am not a fan of the dude.

• LOVE IT! 1

6 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

No it isnt. My first AoS product ever was Spire of Dawn, my wife gave me.

I liked the product line and in AoS 1.0 it was very competitive and fun,  so i kept buying and waiting for my time in the Sun.  We became weaker and weaker with new rules, but hey, Skaven only got a book this year! 

When the cities book was anounced we felt a lot of joy, and now we got squashed. Sorry if the discussion doesnt matter to you,  but it does for some of us.

You seem to have entirely misunderstood.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, firebat said:

Why would anyone in their right mind be buying the mess that GW had put High Elves in? Why would anyone sensible be buying armies that GW had given little inclination they were still actively supporting? Why would people be buying battle line troops that weren't available to buy except in some legacy starter set from a previous edition? Why would anyone be buying tiny factions with one unit and one character and that's all you get if you need to use those troops as battle line? Gosh it's amazing these kits weren't flying off the shelves they weren't even on to begin with. What a silly argument lol

Spire of Dawn is an answer for many. Box clearly labelled 'age of sigmar', containing models not availible before [especially if you're a new player who has never heard of anything called 'island of blood'.] It was marketed as a new thing, basically. To build on it, it was the only way to get Reavers - universal Order battleline, quite popular in mixed order armies due to good mix of mobility and hitting power... So, you wanted reavers and got the rest of the aelven force anyway so might as well do something with it... oh look, skywarden from the skycutter kit is a perfect force multiplier for them with his +1 to wound aura. Skycutter is a WFB legacy model though, so you may be worried... but hey, malign sorcery shows up and swifthawks on the skycutter get their own short story in there, it's probably safe. And that's how new AoS player gets an aelven army.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

While the empire general on horse may be gone, perhaps there will be an additional wars roll to make a Demigryph Knight a “general” out of that box. Wouldn’t be ideal, due to limited option, but at least there would be a mounted human hero.

then the other two knights could be apart of his “crew”. I recall there being mention that a hero can have a posse of some sort

35 minutes ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

Up to now, everything seems to be out of stock except the loremaster. I really wonder why so many people just don't buy those ready to be discontinued model before GW decide to discontinue them and wait to the last moment. If there are so many people buying them previously, I don't think GW will discontinue them. 

Not everybody is a rich. I've got friends who can only afford 1 box of minis every couple of months. If you're building a 2000 point army then that can easily take a year or two to get everything you need. Imagine spending all your hobby money on an army that GW just squated overnight.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Aryann said:

I'm now making some enemies here but got to be honest - I LOVE that last move of GW. Seriously. I know some of you feel let down but on the other hand, how long have those minis been available to buy? 10 years? It's no surprise that products disappear and are replaced by newer ones. You had lot of time to have joy with those minis. Some factions might be abandoned which might make you sad or angry. If I were to guess - Free Peoples and Dispossessed. Some will be reimagined or updated which imho is great. I'm thinking all the elves. Your minis had their time and still can give joy. As your collection and in games. Maybe only tournaments will be a no go. Maybe you will actually like where GW is taking your army. 

Not enemies as such, just a bit misguided. This is an expensive hobby and for some it takes years of investment of money and time to have an army that's matched play suitable. Scrapping armies is not good for loyalty and discourages the hobby than encourages. GW has history of this.

But, on the other hand this might not be a scrapping of units/factions just a chance to update the models, if gamers so wish. That would be better, although unlikely.

It's quite likely, however, that the factions will remain as allies to any Cities army, as we've seen with Green Skinz and Gloomspite. Perhaps not as a back bone, but 400 pts of say Dispossessed might come in handy?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, firebat said:

Well thanks GW, I won't need the Cities of Sigmar book after all it seems. At this point i'd have rather they just had axed High Elves at the same time as Brets and Tomb Kings instead of this giant mess they've made of the army that largely got me into fantasy to begin with.

100% agree with you.

Im sorry if i gonna get many dislikes of aos fanboys,but for me ALL new aos models are horrible and hurt to my eyes.

For me a fantasy theme are dispossesed,high elfs etc,not bald and blind elfs that seems vampires or undeads riding uglys sea creatures per example.

People like this?fine,but for many of us is horrible but we had the option of buy dispossesed or high elfs to play aos.

I started 3 years ago with stormcast that i dislike but they were cheap to buy and start to play.

Then one year later when i loved the game started my real army,a order army of dispossesed, gyrocopters,dragonlord, archmague and some fyreslayer.

It was a very hard choice due to the fear of those armys being removed,but gw told us many times that nothing was going to be removed after bretons and tk and also they reboxed every dispossesed box and released the tempest eye box so impulled the trigger.

Now i have spent around 400€ in my full new army that gw sell in their store that is the same that if i would have bougth idoneths or any new aos army.

But what i got??????3 years of non competitive army waiting for a battletome that was promised.

Then we dont get a dispossesed tome,only a 1\7 of a tome and the 40% of our army is deleted?

Wtf?????????

I am a new player who spent the same money than every other player but i am screwed now only due to how retards are gw?

If  they were going to deleted dispossesed and high elfs then why they told us they werent to deleted more armys?or why they didnt deleted them together to tk or bretonians?

Sorry if people dont like this rant or fell bad for call ugly the new aos armys,but i hope people can realize my point of view: a new player that loved aos, but didnt liked new aos armys,that spent the same money that those new army boys to get my full supported by gw store army(dispossesed with high elfs) and now the 50% of my army is umplayable and feel so down that i only think of sell every model and dont play aos anymore

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Aryann said:

I'm now making some enemies here but got to be honest - I LOVE that last move of GW. Seriously. I know some of you feel let down but on the other hand, how long have those minis been available to buy? 10 years? It's no surprise that products disappear and are replaced by newer ones. You had lot of time to have joy with those minis. Some factions might be abandoned which might make you sad or angry. If I were to guess - Free Peoples and Dispossessed. Some will be reimagined or updated which imho is great. I'm thinking all the elves. Your minis had their time and still can give joy. As your collection and in games. Maybe only tournaments will be a no go. Maybe you will actually like where GW is taking your army. 

I mean several of the kits they are getting rid of like the Skycutter and mounted general are fantastic plastic kits from the end of 8th edition, barely older than the ET kits like Nagash, and certainly MUCH newer than the ENTIRE Skaven range, or most of DEATH. Meanwhile several much older and uglier kits are being left around for cities.

These models are going:
Click to choose files 99120202011_GeneraloftheEmpireNEW01.jpg

99120210022_LothernSkycutter01.jpg

And these are staying:
99120202014_HelblasterVolleyGunNEW01.jpg

99070202001_CaptainoftheEmpireNEW02.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, firebat said:

To play WFB8th ed or 9th age ?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

I mean several of the kits they are getting rid of like the Skycutter and mounted general are fantastic plastic kits from the end of 8th edition, barely older than the ET kits like Nagash, and certainly MUCH newer than the ENTIRE Skaven range, or most of DEATH. Meanwhile several much older and uglier kits are being left around for cities.

These models are going:
Click to choose files 99120202011_GeneraloftheEmpireNEW01.jpg

99120210022_LothernSkycutter01.jpg

And these are staying:
99120202014_HelblasterVolleyGunNEW01.jpg

99070202001_CaptainoftheEmpireNEW02.jpg

The comparison makes me sad.

It's also a good counter to people stating "they are just culling what didn't sell"

Have you ever encountered the lower general on the field as a Freeguild general? 

It's all the higher one. Every single general I've seen in pictures was of the first set, one of which is in the warscroll of the general.

Edited by zilberfrid

2 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

My Freeguild stands with you! They pay homage to Taal over Sigmar, and I myself am not a fan of the dude.

Viva la revolution! Disenfrachised armies unite!

They may take our points values, but they'll never take our minis!

More seriously there is nothing wrong with using older scrolls, or running oop models as newer unit types. They can't break into your house and throw away your armies. Just find a new use for them as whatever the newer equivalent is, so long as your not in a draconian tournament you should be fine

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, overtninja said:

It's also important to remember that there is nothing permanent in a wargaming hobby - everything eventually ends up being squatted, discontinued, or otherwise retired from production or the game itself and replaced with new things.

This isn't true at all.  The AoS team has just normalized this for you guys to the point that you think it is acceptable and the status quo.  If they ever sold something under the "AoS" box, they should have kept supporting it until the game of "AoS" is no longer supported.  I could point you to several wargames that do not do this greedy bs, trying to get you to buy the latest thing if you want to feel "safe".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Or just sell them and invest elsewhere. That's what I've done. I agree with and totally feel the pain with the others on dispossessed and I'm very disappointed in GW for stringing along us legacy players like this then overnight doing  last chance to buy with no warning article or email a day prior. I think I will play middle earth instead for now as at least those models are timeless and always relevant 

well heres hoping I can get hold of 2 skycutters to finish off me swifthawks. I'm going to assume they're gone now even though its only listed as temporarily unavailable. I also put in an order for 2 of them at element last week. Wonder if I'll get a refund shortly haha!

10 minutes ago, Zanzou said:

This isn't true at all.  The AoS team has just normalized this for you guys to the point that you think it is acceptable and the status quo.  If they ever sold something under the "AoS" box, they should have kept supporting it until the game of "AoS" is no longer supported.  I could point you to several wargames that do not do this greedy bs, trying to get you to buy the latest thing if you want to feel "safe".

Actually GW has been adding and removing kits for decades. Squatting in itself is reference to the dwarf 40K army called Squats which were totally removed. Meanwhile armies have had things added adn removed over the years; zoats used to be in Tyranids; meanwhile Imperial Guard used to have a load of alternative chapters back in the metal era which were all pretty much dropped save for the core and Cadians. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, Nubl0 said:

well heres hoping I can get hold of 2 skycutters to finish off me swifthawks. I'm going to assume they're gone now even though its only listed as temporarily unavailable. I also put in an order for 2 of them at element last week. Wonder if I'll get a refund shortly haha!

I think 3rd parties have sellable stock assuming they said they had the stock. Still plenty of Start Collecting Greenskinz at msrp+discount for example.

5 minutes ago, Overread said:

Actually GW has been adding and removing kits for decades. Squatting in itself is reference to the dwarf 40K army called Squats which were totally removed. Meanwhile armies have had things added adn removed over the years; zoats used to be in Tyranids; meanwhile Imperial Guard used to have a load of alternative chapters back in the metal era which were all pretty much dropped save for the core and Cadians. 

40k in all recent memory, doesn’t gut entire armies in favour of some “army soup”.

Edited by the_master288

One thing I will say is that players of all armies/factions are capable of being deeply hurt. 

As a TK guy, I read so many messages about "whiny TK players" post removal, as if it was the psyche of TK players, specifically - rather than the fact that we happened to be the ones who were clobbered - that caused the reaction. 

The common denominator is getting squatted, and any army's playerbase would basically react the same. There was nothing particularly special about the TK player base in our reaction.

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 1