Squatting Watch: Alerts for Discontinued Models

Hey folks,

Starting up a list of models that are going out of stock as we approach the Cities of Sigmar launch. The goal here is to update the community about pending models in case anyone wants to grab them before they disappear from your region or stores.

The thread is not intended to be a gripe-fest about models being cut. In most cases a culling of the massive range it to be expected so let's keep the discussion about the hobby. :)

Current Models at Risk:

Aelfs

- Glade Guard: No Longer Available Online (CDN)

- White Lions: No Longer Available Online

- Dragon Noble: No Longer Available Online (CDN)

Ironweld Arsenal

- Cannon: No Longer Available Online (CDN)

- Organ Gun: No Longer Available Online (CDN)

Free Peoples

- Freeguild Archers: No Longer Available Online

- Freeguild General

Edited by Barbossal
  • Thanks 6

I am intrigued by the Dragon Noble. It is plastic, have a lot of assembly options, is in the correct scale and got a unique Warscroll.

Glade Guard and Lion Rangers are a bit out of scale. I never sen the gun models to have an opinion.

Really hope the Dragon Noble gets a repack. The model is awesome and among my favorites.

• Sad 1

Sometimes they take these down and rebox them/repackage them for a coming big release. 

When chaos came out a few months ago in 40k they removed almost the entire range and only a few new models came out but they put them in black paint schemes on the boxes and reboxed Cultists, Raptors, Maulerfiends and more which didn’t have new models but the big new wave with Abaddon and the revisited chaos Codex and stuff were coming out. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Sometimes they take these down and rebox them/repackage them for a coming big release. 

When chaos came out a few months ago in 40k they removed almost the entire range and only a few new models came out but they put them in black paint schemes on the boxes and reboxed Cultists, Raptors, Maulerfiends and more which didn’t have new models but the big new wave with Abaddon and the revisited chaos Codex and stuff were coming out. 

I agree, some of these are possibly being reboxed, but I am just calling these at-risk given what GW said. Could be nothing but you never know.

Every now and then we see anxious posts about models "no longer being available". I think it is useful to use the "Delivering to:" function on the website before spreading FUD. Model stocks aren't centralized. 

Since they will specifically be providing a list of units that will go for Order units, I honestly doubt they are going to remove them well head from their website and only afterwards announce it.

One trusts they learnt a thing a two from the past :/

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, VBS said:

Every now and then we see anxious posts about models "no longer being available". I think it is useful to use the "Delivering to:" function on the website before spreading FUD. Model stocks aren't centralized. 

Since they will specifically be providing a list of units that will go for Order units, I honestly doubt they are going to remove them well head from their website and only afterwards announce it.

One trusts they learnt a thing a two from the past :/

In theory yes, the other side of that is that if they run out of stock on a model they've decided to cease production on, they aren't going to churn out more just to keep going until the announcement.

As of right now, the one model that appears to be sold out online everywhere is White Lions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

I'm sure most of these are being reboxed ahead of the new book release. Keep calm and continue painting.

But panic buying is such a good excuse to get more miniatures before i've finished painting the last lot!

I hope the freeguild archers are just being reboxed. I was building some this afternoon, and it is a really nice kit. I also discovered that the spare legs from this kit fits pretty well with the spare torsos from the Greatswords sprue, so I made a cool ranger captain conversion as an extra model. Not often you get to make a bonus mini.

• Like 1

Yeah, the Ork was a nice surprise. I had no idea that he was in the kit until I took a look at the sprue.

I can't see them removing many of those old plastic kits permanently, particularly ones that have recently been designated merc companies. It looks as though the mounted freeguild general is unavailable in some regions, but that seems like it would make it hard for anyone to put together the mounted mercenary force, in the same way that the dwarven guns would be a problem for anyone wanting the artillery force.

So far we've been told so little that its impossible to make an informed decision. It could be that they'll just scrap the Swifthawk stuff that isn't sold any more, and maybe a resin model or two. On the other hand they might want to streamline the troop kits and make the Human, Dwarven and Aelven units compliment each other better. I could see them wanting to have human pikemen, aelven archers, and dwarven handgunners for example, so that each race fills a different troop role within the multicultural militia of the city. Time will tell I guess.

• Like 1

I painted up a contingent of Freeguild Archers to use as rangers in my Skirmish warband earlier this year. Beautiful models with lots of cool bits to customise them. Made a corporal, second-in-command, young blood, a medic and a cook out of them:). They are great, I hope they stay around.

• Like 3

Given that things often go unavailable a month or so before a re-box I really wouldn't take these as at risk, they are all plastic kits for one and free guild+ ironweald arsenal are almost certain to be getting a re-box to coincide with the cities of sigmar release. They've promised a list I just wish they'd hurry up and give it out since by this point the books will be at the printing stage and they definitely know whats getting dropped.

1 hour ago, Moonlightwolf said:

Given that things often go unavailable a month or so before a re-box I really wouldn't take these as at risk, they are all plastic kits for one and free guild+ ironweald arsenal are almost certain to be getting a re-box to coincide with the cities of sigmar release. They've promised a list I just wish they'd hurry up and give it out since by this point the books will be at the printing stage and they definitely know whats getting dropped.

The Dragon Noble no longer links to its warscroll, that is a bit weird (the warscroll still exists, if you know the link). The archers could be reboxed, either as Archers themselves, or as Militia option for guards (or have the militia option simply be the one with the weapons equipped).

It's not as if I could order them anyway now, so it does not factor in my purchases. As I've found out that a friend of mine has old empire stuff he wants to sell, I first want to look at those anyway.

The General on Horse is no longer available online... I wanted to purchase him this morning, and he was available, but the "add to cart" button did not work on mobile, and now he's unavailable. If this guy gets phased out, I would be really disappointed, even if he just got changed, I would be really disappointed.

In hindsight, maybe the "add to cart" button did not work because it was already unavailable.

Self restraint really did a number on me, my next purchase list was literally the two "No longer available online" web exclusives.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Sad 1