Wanderers Update Theories

Might be nothing, but there's 6 elf kits on the webstore that are "temporarily out of stock online" which is usually what happens when things are being repackaged. 
So these kits might be getting new names. I'm not sure if all of them have already been repackaged with round bases in the past.... the website still says things like Black Ark corsairs come with square bases.  

Kits affected:
Dark elf chariot Dual Kit
Eternal Guard/Wildwood Ranger Dual Kit
Wild Rider/Sisters of the Thorn Dual Kit
Black Ark Corsairs
Phoenix Guard
Shadow Warriors/Sisters of the Watch Dual Kit

It's understandable if the older single kits are just getting repackaged with round bases or new box art but the newer dual kits (the wood elf troops and cav) already have round bases so that's strange. 

or it could be nothing. 

• Like 1

It says no longer available online in other stores too now.  Glade Guard already had round bases... Whatcha playing at GW?  Wanderers were almost a full army, so please don't tell me the way you're finally giving love to the factions you've left untouched for this long is to just remove half of their ranges and staple the book together?

I will pray for Wanderer players that their Glade Guard don't go the same way that their Waywatchers did...

Edited by Zanzou
  • Sad 2

I have 30 Glade Guard, but if this is the end of the warscroll, they shall become 30 Sisters of the Watch.  It may be just the sculpts going and a new version coming.  I'm fairly confident Aelf archers will always find a place in the game.  The important thing is that Wanderers are included in a battletome and this means that, even if no pure battletome appears, you know you'll be able to play Wanderers for several years to come.  Anything more is gravy.

• Like 3

Here's an unpopular opinion:
I love my Glade Guard (I have 80) but the gw sculpt is goofy and their warscroll doesn't really fit their theme anymore. Bodkins are awesome, but the 20+ models required for 'peerless archery' clashes with the idea of an elite/fast/sneaky/guerilla shooting force. They aren't really 'guarding' a 'glade' anymore either, fluff wise, they be 'wandering' the realms. 
Similar to what Aelfric said above, I just want a quick glass-cannon type elf archer.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aelfric said:

I have 30 Glade Guard, but if this is the end of the warscroll, they shall become 30 Sisters of the Watch.  It may be just the sculpts going and a new version coming.  I'm fairly confident Aelf archers will always find a place in the game.  The important thing is that Wanderers are included in a battletome and this means that, even if no pure battletome appears, you know you'll be able to play Wanderers for several years to come.  Anything more is gravy.

1 hour ago, Nick907 said:

Here's an unpopular opinion:
I love my Glade Guard (I have 80) but the gw sculpt is goofy and their warscroll doesn't really fit their theme anymore. Bodkins are awesome, but the 20+ models required for 'peerless archery' clashes with the idea of an elite/fast/sneaky/guerilla shooting force. They aren't really 'guarding' a 'glade' anymore either, fluff wise, they be 'wandering' the realms. 
Similar to what Aelfric said above, I just want a quick glass-cannon type elf archer.  

I think GW doesn't have to do much in case of gladeguard. The bodies could simply be a little closer to those of Eternal Guard/ Wildwood Rangers.

I mean, I have made these guys with the Eternal Guard Kit + the arms of the Gladeguard + Quiver from the Shadow Warriors.

HulBZZlY4dvUkSOfSTw7w7a0YuIRQMo6wfQBfKnR

Jjyykv6_uVMX6L1QFYEsPJlhoEfrtRSK7fq6vfxf

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

I still see the Glade Guard as available, but now the White Lions are no longer available.

Uncertain times indeed. I promised myself I would not buy new plastic before I had built and painted a few dozen more, but maybe I'll have to get a few more (not wanderers though).

So I too am worried about this and I JUST started buying up a Wanderers list for my wife to surprise her. I just called my local store and the GW employee there said that is really strange, they are just gone off the site, no longer available on the webstore. Not just temporarily unavaliable like the Dragon Noble I want for my Dragonhost list, but just gone. I hope they are getting a new model or they are being repackaged with new bases but if not . . . . Makes me kinda worried I just dropped over $200 on nothing. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 9:37 PM, Inquisitorsz said:

Might be nothing, but there's 6 elf kits on the webstore that are "temporarily out of stock online" which is usually what happens when things are being repackaged. 
So these kits might be getting new names. I'm not sure if all of them have already been repackaged with round bases in the past.... the website still says things like Black Ark corsairs come with square bases.  

Kits affected:
Dark elf chariot Dual Kit
Eternal Guard/Wildwood Ranger Dual Kit
Wild Rider/Sisters of the Thorn Dual Kit
Black Ark Corsairs
Phoenix Guard
Shadow Warriors/Sisters of the Watch Dual Kit

It's understandable if the older single kits are just getting repackaged with round bases or new box art but the newer dual kits (the wood elf troops and cav) already have round bases so that's strange. 

or it could be nothing. 

Its nothing. One of the pictures for the Cities release has Wildwood Rangers and Wild Riders.

The models most likely to disappear are those that are metal, resin, or are attached to out of print sets. Swordmasters are the first thing to pop into my head. 

• Like 1

the problem is the following (The arrival of Cities of Sigmar means that a handful of units of the Order will leave the field and become Warhammer Legends by the end of the year. We will provide a complete list of those closest to the time) may mean something? are the wanderers in danger?

As has been stated several times in this thread, not really. All of the newer Wanderers Kits-Eternal Guard, Wildwood Rangers, Sisters of the Thorn, Wild Riders, ect were prominently on display at the event where the book was announced. On top of that Beastgrave is teasing what looks like a future Wanderers tome/reboot.

Wanderers are probably the safest subfaction in the free cities book right now.  Not to say a few older kits might not go, but overall they're fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madmac said:

As has been stated several times in this thread, not really. All of the newer Wanderers Kits-Eternal Guard, Wildwood Rangers, Sisters of the Thorn, Wild Riders, ect were prominently on display at the event where the book was announced. On top of that Beastgrave is teasing what looks like a future Wanderers tome/reboot.

Wanderers are probably the safest subfaction in the free cities book right now.  Not to say a few older kits might not go, but overall they're fine.

That's encouraging. I'm guessing there weren't any Glade Guard on display then? I've had a go at identifying which Aelven units were shown with the book, but have a bit of difficluty making out the details in the pictures that were doing the rounds. If anyone who was actually there could confirm then that would be awesome. To me it looked as though the Eternal Guard and Wild Rider kits were featured, as well as Shadow Warriors and Phoenix guard from the High Elves, although I might be wrong. I wasn't sure which kit the Dark Elf in the picture was from. What seemed to be notably lacking were any of the big Aelven centrepiece models, unless they were in a different bit of the display. I don't see any Scourge Privateers either, which seems odd, given how much they get mentioned in the lore.

6 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

That's encouraging. I'm guessing there weren't any Glade Guard on display then? I've had a go at identifying which Aelven units were shown with the book, but have a bit of difficluty making out the details in the pictures that were doing the rounds. If anyone who was actually there could confirm then that would be awesome. To me it looked as though the Eternal Guard and Wild Rider kits were featured, as well as Shadow Warriors and Phoenix guard from the High Elves, although I might be wrong. I wasn't sure which kit the Dark Elf in the picture was from. What seemed to be notably lacking were any of the big Aelven centrepiece models, unless they were in a different bit of the display. I don't see any Scourge Privateers either, which seems odd, given how much they get mentioned in the lore.

Here’s some rampant speculation:

C670AE06-0EBD-404D-97C7-5FE3311C00CA.jpeg.86729e87a893c8a7573ef1cd7e87df7e.jpeg

Everything here is safe.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Well this theory: 

(Wanderers become Satyrs and Centaurs a la Orion)

I really hope this is a re-imagining of Wanderers AOS style.  If so, it may be based on the descendants of those clans that did not forsake the fight during the Age of Chaos and retreat to Azyr.   Perhaps the attempt to find a cure for, and resistance to, the Nurgle's rot epidemic led to mutations amongst the people, while others had a natural resistance and thus remained fully aelvan.  Hopefully, we'll end up with the DoK treatment.  It could also be souls rescued from Slaanesh, but that begs the question who is rescuing them.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

I really hope this is a re-imagining of Wanderers AOS style.  If so, it may be based on the descendants of those clans that did not forsake the fight during the Age of Chaos and retreat to Azyr.   Perhaps the attempt to find a cure for, and resistance to, the Nurgle's rot epidemic led to mutations amongst the people, while others had a natural resistance and thus remained fully aelvan.  Hopefully, we'll end up with the DoK treatment.  It could also be souls rescued from Slaanesh, but that begs the question who is rescuing them.

Good idea. What if they had to pledge allegiance to a god of the Hunt in order to not Fall to the rot (since Alarielle vanished) and therefor this god adapted their physiology? 🙂

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Good idea. What if they had to pledge allegiance to a god of the Hunt in order to not Fall to the rot (since Alarielle vanished) and therefor this god adapted their physiology? 🙂

Well, they are re-releasing the Orion trilogy, which may or may not be coincidental.  Perhaps, through ritual magics, they brought a new God of the Hunt into being (more successfully than the Idoneth have done with Mathlann), by completing the cycle of life and death disrupted by the chaotic ending of the world-that-was.  We know that Kurnoth exists, so they may be linked to him.  

I do like the idea of more feral Wanderers linked more closely to the natural world than any of the other races and the nemesis of the Beasts of Chaos.

It is possible that it is an entirely different stand-alone faction, with Wanderers as allies, and the current Wanderers kept in the Cities Battletome.  I wouldn't be unhappy if this were the case.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

6 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

I kind of hope they are destruction aelves rather than wanderers (it would be interesting), but that increases the chances of old wanderers being squated which is unlikely as they are in CoS

I have always thought of my Wanderers as not really belonging to any Grand Alliance, but nominally siding with Order.  To me, they are the faction of balance in the Realms and balance requires a bit of all four.  However, less destruction and chaos is needed to balance with order and the cycle of life, death and rebirth requires the power of Death to be kept in check, which is not what Nagash seeks.  So, overall, order is the dominant ingredient, but the other three are also essential to ensure the continuation of reality.

There is always the possibility that they will introduce a faction that can be played under more than one Grand Alliance.

Factions that can play for multiple Grand Alliances would be really neat but could lead to some strange balance issues. Destruction isn't really known for it's good ranged combat (outside of one Savage Ork battalion) so not sure that would be a good place for Wanderers.

I often wish that Aelves had their own Grand Alliance and were not a part of Order. There are enough models and elves are so popular it would probably outsell most of the other Grand Alliances. Plus it would help keep Order from being larger then every other Alliance put together.  Feels a bit too late for that though.

• Like 1

So just to catch up, is the consensus that Wanderers will get a full update / book of their own, and not just as part of the Cities of Sigmar book?

On 7/30/2019 at 12:31 AM, Malkyr said:

Factions that can play for multiple Grand Alliances would be really neat but could lead to some strange balance issues. Destruction isn't really known for it's good ranged combat (outside of one Savage Ork battalion) so not sure that would be a good place for Wanderers.

I'm not sure I agree with that. 

For example I ran a full Destruction gunline recently with no Savage Orruks at all (albeit some of those units have since been deleted from the game).  60x Gitmob Archers with Sneaky Stabbin, a battery of Spear Chukkas, Skragrott's Hand Cannon, Magma Dragon with its breath attack (2D6 MW with a 34" threat range before Destruction moves), a teleporting Troggoth Hag dropping straight into range for her devastating Vomit attacks.

Then you have Thundertusks, Shootas, Squig Gobbas, Rockguts, Fellwaters, Ironblasters, Leadbelchers, Gnoblars with "Sharp Stuff"....Destruction has been probably the second shootingest GA across the course of AOS to date (behind only Order), including (but by no means limited to) the legendary Mooclan and Kunnin Rukk builds.

NB I don't necessarily want Wanderers to be part of both Order and Destro myself...just saying that I don't think this is a particularly strong argument against it!

With the Beastgrave reveal, I speculate that Wanderers will be rolled in with Kurnothi, and they can ally Sylvaneth again.

Lore-wise: Kurnoth had to retreat in the past, and could have found some wanderers in Ghur. These teamed up, and some were changed into satyrs and centaurs. Kurnoth is now fully healed, and embraces the wanderers as his own people, and they settle their differences with Alarielle.

The Kurnothi of Beastgrave have armour that fits the Wanderer models (especially the centaur), and GW might want to keep the amount of new moulds a bit lower by keeping some of the older sets.

• Like 2

I‘ve been thinking about it and the Kurnothi don‘t appeal to me due to their mix of banded leather armor, held by chains while also featuring leaf-patterns.

if they‘d stuck to banded armor-stripes all the way those Kurnothi would look way better. Also the side burns are an aesthetic nightmare

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 2