Wanderers Update Theories

Okay, so this is my first topic, so I hope this is a legitimate thread. Anyway, here you can post about your theories/hopes about Wanderers and Wood Elves getting an update in the future. I was thinking a faction that combines Wanderers with, I don't know, some beasts, and call it the Wild Hunt. Maybe add Kurnoth too. Bouncing off of something Thiagoma said in another thread, specifically Tyrion, In light Reborn, maybe adding in the Lion Rangers. Alternatively, I can see them merging with Sylvaneth in the new battletome, but nothing else shown really supports that. Personally, i'm working on a DoK style Wardancers Tribes idea, but that's just me. Anything else?

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

Wow! Great ideas! I am seriously liking all of the Ghur themes here. The Wanderers don't necessarily have to stick with the woods - Ghur really does exemplify the wildness of their theme. I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of Wardancer Tribes, each one named after an animal, such as Eagle tribe, Bear tribe, and Snake Tribe, each with their own strategies. Maybe even with animal companions based on tribe.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

I feel as tho if wanderers and sylvaneth were to be merged, they would have done it in the new sylvaneth battletome (an ultimate wood-elf book).

At this point I think it's a toss-up between a wanderer exclusive expansion/book and an aelf-soup... More likely the former.

Edited by Zanzou
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, xking said:

Wanderers are already pretty established, they just need a battletome. They are a nomadic Elven people who re establish the magical Ley lines in the realms.

I know, right? They seem like a pretty complete faction already. Just some Endless Spells, reworked Abilities, and maybe a hero or two. Also, I guess I should have called this topic Asrai or Wood Aelf instead of wanderers, because my initial idea was a thread for theories and wishful thinking as well as possibilities and likelihood. So, this can function both as assessing possibilities and likeliness, which is most functional, AND Wishes and wild theories.

• Like 2

Sorry guys but we all know, that you are lying to yourself. GW are selling these models, cause they are relatively new. However, wanderers are way too generic to be maintained within the AOS settings, and will follow the Greenskinz route in the long run. AoS is about underwater soulless elves and steampunk dwarves, not generic wood elves. If they release another elfish battletome, it will be similarly avant-garde. They will not follow a classic fantasy clishe. Heck, they don't even design real world animals like horses anymore. 

• Confused 1

Watch them go full Gloomspite and roll Wanderers, dispossessed, and free peoples into one battletome.  Since they are all so generic you would have the option of picking what realm they're from, with each realm giving different allegence abilities like the Idoneth Enclaves.  Battletome: Citizens of the Realms.

Maybe it's just me, but I can still absolutely see the Wanderers working as a unique faction within AoS. They're literal Wanderers, raggedy wild elves traveling/migrating across dimensions in penance for the sins of their fathers. Their model range has some absolute-stand-out models in it. They're a good bit of emotional grit and introspection within the larger setting, and have so much potential with a few new models to be something unique. How many other fantasy model ranges have good semi-feral fey traveling Wild Elves as a major faction?

• Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

OK PaniuBraniu, I respect your opinion. I am not accusing you of doing this, but I hope you won't go around shooting down people's ideas later in the thread. We now know your opinion, and that shouldn't stop others from posting ideas. Not that i'm saying you are, of course, but just reminding everyone that this thread is supposed to be an environment for stimulating imagination. I understand your opinion, but, like acr0ssth3p0nd, I am confident they fit reasonably well, and, if they don't I still hope. I don't ever mean to insult anyone, just so you know. We don't all think we're lying to ourselves, or else why would we have this thread? It's fine that you think we're lying to ourselves, but if so, I politely ask you to not shoot others down.

Edited by AthelLoren
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, AthelLoren said:

but if so, I politely ask you to not shoot others down.

Oh get used to it. Every time you post something like "well i wish my faction would receive some support, someone comes and say they are boring, generic, old and so on.

As if Skeletons, Zombies, Orcs, Dwarfs and sheet looking ghosts were not.

I have been playing with the fragmented High Elves since AoS hit and they still post this kind of #@$%.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

Oh get used to it. Every time you post something like "well i wish my faction would receive some support, someone comes and say they are boring, generic, old and so on.

As if Skeletons, Zombies, Orcs, Dwarfs and sheet looking ghosts were not.

I have been playing with the fragmented High Elves since AoS hit and they still post this kind of #@$%.

Ok, thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I just like to stand up for people, including myself.  I've always thought that if you don't have something Constructive or nice to say, don't say it at all - or at least find a way to say it politely. I'll just have to get used to it.  Good luck with the High Elves, by the way.

• Like 3

There is a rumor in the last couple months. At the time didnt sound truth, but given the rumor engines in the last few months...

The rumor was about a duel box Ogors X Wanderers.  Given the 4 or 5 rumors that apears to belong to both this factions i would say it is starting to sound like truth.

Mercenary Companies gave me one of my wishes for AoS: a  lore based, GA neutral group which could could be allied into an army of any faction/GA. Now wanderers would be perfect for my next wishlist item: dual GA factions. The faction belongs to GA 1 as it’s own entity/army but can also be played a a part (not ally) of factions within a second GA (but likely not in a soup army). So for Wanderers they exist as their own faction under the GA-Order banner with all of their current allies and restrictions, but you can also play them as an inherent part of a BCR or Bonesplitters army in GA-Destruction (the hunter’s theme). Under destruction they don’t exist as their own entity and cannot be allied into other destruction armies (like Slaanesh marked Slaves in a Khorne army).

Will this happen? No, but hey it’s on my wishlist. 

• Like 3

Wanderers actually have a deceptively large pool of units to choose from, that could easily be expanded into a massive faction. They could just get the endless spell treatment, but I’m gonna wish list here and assume they get the DoK/Gloomspite treatment. 

They already have: 

HEROES 

- Nomad Prince

- Spellweaver

- Wayfinder

- Waywatcher

-  Waystrider 

TROOPS 

- Glade Guard 

- Eternal Guard 

- Sisters of The Watch 

- Wildwood Rangers 

- Sisters of The Thorn 

- Wildriders 

So they have small support heroes covered and basic troops, with lots of ranged units and some fast movers. They lack really powerful spellcasters, some hard hitters and have no behemoths.

Assuming they get the full large release treatment, I’d like to see: 

- Kurnoth, Consort of The Everqueen: Powerful general, strong in melee with good magic and support skills. Large, centerpiece model type unit (Marathi, Alarielle etc) 

- Prince on Wendigo: Large behemoth unit, aimed to give them some firepower.  Visually I imagine it as large, ape like in shape with a noble antlered head. Multiple rider options that can be use independently. When ridden by the prince it’s a support/beat stick.

- Spellweaver on Wendigo: See above. Adds magic to the model in exchange for the melee profile. 

- Waywatcher on Wendigo: See above. Ranged version of the Wendigo, with a sniper on its back. 

- Wendigo: The Wendigo model without any riders. Cheapest option, simple beatstick. 

- War Riders: Units of three. Heavy cavalry, melee focused. Fast moving hammers. Heavily armed Wanderers riding giant Hares. 

- Ley Guardians: Ranged build of the War Riders. Riders have bows, fast moving and powerful shots. Come in and out of play easily. 

- The Repentant: Units of five. Wanderers who have taken the realmstone (Seeds) of the realm of life into the selves as penance for their ancestors betrayal of Alarielle.  This awakens their inner beast, turning them into savage half monsters (think werewolves but less specific). Quick, strong but most importantly good rend capabilities. 

Endless Spells (these are rough, could be reworked but just a general idea.) 

-  Ley Hawk: Healing endless spell. Giant hawk made from the energy of the Ley Lines. 

- Wild Gate: Two gateways made of vines and earth. Allows them to teleport. 

- Sacred Earth: A blockade spell. Pretty simple. 

Terrain Feature

Waystone: A joining point of Ley Lines. As the game goes on more Ley Lines are activated, increasing the stones reach. Adds buffs and is a support source, also increases magical effectiveness. 

So that’s 4 kits, a terrain feature and endless spells, which doesn’t seem to crazy at all. But it’s adding 8 units (and bringing 2 existing units plastic models.) 

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

Thematically wanderers are about as different as it is possible to be from wood Elves. They have gone from the most isolated of warhammer factions to a nomadic culture. If we were to expand the faction with new minis, I would like to see packs of hunting animals, larger beasts of burden and a return of wardancers to give them a bit of the 40k Harlequin feel. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Thematically wanderers are about as different as it is possible to be from wood Elves. They have gone from the most isolated of warhammer factions to a nomadic culture. If we were to expand the faction with new minis, I would like to see packs of hunting animals, larger beasts of burden and a return of wardancers to give them a bit of the 40k Harlequin feel. 

My God, combining the Wanderer wild elf and Harlequin aesthetics and themes is everything I want in my elves. Heck yes.

Edited by acr0ssth3p0nd
  • Like 2

I like  the current theme for Wanderers. It is very easy to work with, everything from old armies from the days of 6th edition fantasy to  newly constructed armies can easily fit within the fluff. I like how generic they are because that serves as a 'blank pallet' for the hobbyist to be creative.  In my case I've been able to modify/kit-bash/customize all 80 of my Glade Guard and write a simple but unique backstory for my general.

Governor Trojanoak is a misogynistic big-game trophy hunter that travels the realms with an entourage of aelf-maidens and trades pelts for jewels and gold.  He is a Nomad Prince that uses the Starcaster Longbow. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AthelLoren said:

OK PaniuBraniu, I respect your opinion. I am not accusing you of doing this, but I hope you won't go around shooting down people's ideas later in the thread. We now know your opinion, and that shouldn't stop others from posting ideas. Not that i'm saying you are, of course, but just reminding everyone that this thread is supposed to be an environment for stimulating imagination. I understand your opinion, but, like acr0ssth3p0nd, I am confident they fit reasonably well, and, if they don't I still hope. I don't ever mean to insult anyone, just so you know. We don't all think we're lying to ourselves, or else why would we have this thread? It's fine that you think we're lying to ourselves, but if so, I politely ask you to not shoot others down.

I didn't mean to insult anyone, wood elves are my army to go, I would give a lot to get a new wanderers battletome along  with new behemoth/cavalry. However, I am  disillusioned. My previous post is how I believe the GW saw things. 

• Like 1