The Rumour Thread

50 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Kharadron silhouette spotted.

Hope you like soup.

272726177_1533368363724803_4424255192574

Angry right now, not gonna lie. I hate soup, I hates it! I have every type of Dwarf in AoS and I still don't want them souped.

Just to justify my strongly held opinion a bit, what I hate about soup is that is almost inevitably leads to things like, I dunno nerfing every single Fyreslayer Warscroll so that they're only just barely playable inside their own sub-allegiance because they have to "stay in their lane". On top of that they'll probably get reduced subfactions, smaller artifact and trait lists, etc etc. I know some people like Soup, but I form my opinion on having actually played the less popular side of soup books repeatedly (Bonesplittas, Gutbusters...) and I can't say anything good about it.

Edited by madmac
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I'm excited about what rules it would bring, but how exactly will it work form a lore perspective? I know in broken realms they were setting up the return of grungni to unite the dwarves but that never got concluded afaik, is he not just making armour for stormcast and showed up to help save a city?

Aren't fyreslayers still just mercenary's with no responsibility other than getting ur-gold, are KO going to employ them full-time? 

Edited by Svalack

1 minute ago, Svalack said:

I'm excited about what rules it would bring, but how exactly will it work form a lore perspective? I know in broken realms they were setting up the return of grungni to unite the dwarves but that never got concluded afaik, is he not just making armour for stormcast and showed up to help save a city?

Aren't fyreslayers still just mercenary's with no responsibility other than getting ur-gold, are KO going to employ them full-time? 

It'll probably be more mechanical bookkeeping than fluffy and I don't see there being a 'Big Waaagghh' equivalent.

3 minutes ago, Svalack said:

You could set it up as Fyreslayers, KO and whoever else gets to join all still being independent factions lore-wise, but all being open enough to working with each other that you are allowed to combine them if you take a specific sub-faction.

6 minutes ago, Elbaf said:

It was Grungni in the end ? i remember that we all thought that but then it was the return of "the white dwarf" or something

Yes. Maybe. Probably.

The Dawi in Be'lakor appears to have been Grungni, but the Chronicles of the Wanderer had him Isekai Grombrindal back into existence and we know he's been running around for a while (as per that story and the Gotrek books).

My guess is Grombrindal will end up being the actual tabletop model, whilst Grungni keeps to being a presence in the lore.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elbaf said:

It was Grungni in the end ? i remember that we all thought that but then it was the return of "the white dwarf" or something

One of 2021 White Dwarf had an story of Grungni "forging" Grombrindal to unify all the Dwarfs because everyone knows that Grungni can't do that by himself.

It is not clear if the dwarf in the Broken Realms is Grungni or Grombrindal. He emanated enough respect to silence the whole Geldraad (a ruling council of the Kharadrons society) and power (confronting Be'lakor, increasing his size, or machines working a lot better in his presence) that pointed out to Grungni, but his behaviour had more things in common to good  ol'Grombrindal (being disguised, smoking his pipe, etc...).

As a Kharadron Player, give Grimnir to Fyreslayers, Grungni to Dispossessed and Grombrindal to Kharadrons.

And remembe, Trust Aethermatics, Not superstitions

Edit: I'm late

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 6

Honestly, getting soup'ed might just convince me to Ebay my Fyreslayers and hang up my AoS hat until Chaos Dwarfs arrive in 2025.

I've no interest in them being soup'ed and left to rot on the Scrappy Heap more than they already have been unless they really pull something out of the hat to impress me.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

57 minutes ago, Svalack said:

He also forged white dwarf anew to unite all dwarves for him, though.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

20 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Honestly, getting soup'ed might just convince me to Ebay my Fyreslayers and hang up my AoS hat until Chaos Dwarfs arrive in 2025.

I've no interest in them being soup'ed and left to rot on the Scrappy Heap more than they already have been.

I have other AoS armies, but yeah if this turns out how I'm expecting, my Fyreslayers are probably just going to be gathering dust until they're inevitably squatted, they were already on life-support as a faction. For anyone saying to be positive, I'll just point out that I haven't heard about a single playtester starting up a Fyreslayer army in the last six months, so...

7 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

What if the model that Vince was painting is Grombindal?!

What is this? 

A soup tome then with a single Grombindal model as the release? A little grim.. although I'd love a new Grombindal model like Gotrek I'd hope he'd be bringing a few reinforcements, not holding my breath !

Is that a new KO ship!? Or do my eyes deceive me?

Duardin soup has pros and cons but I do feel for those who do not wish it to happen. Lore wise I wonder how this will be resolved and if Fyreslayers will ever take centre stage in a conflict. I hope it pans out well for all parties.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/01/26/what-is-mhurghast-as-the-darkness-creeps-closer-we-delve-into-this-new-warhammer-horror-series/

On another topic it's been confirmed that Gothgul Hollow is the first in a four part Warhammer Horror series!! Even more excited for it now!! And @HorticulusTGA they even have a map to show where the book takes place in Shyish!! 

mgDggztASmHQ8uFb.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, madmac said:

Angry right now, not gonna lie. I hate soup, I hates it! I have every type of Dwarf in AoS and I still don't want them souped.

Just to justify my strongly held opinion a bit, what I hate about soup is that is almost inevitably leads to things like, I dunno nerfing every single Fyreslayer Warscroll so that they're only just barely playable inside their own sub-allegiance because they have to "stay in their lane". On top of that they'll probably get reduced subfactions, smaller artifact and trait lists, etc etc. I know some people like Soup, but I form my opinion on having actually played the less popular side of soup books repeatedly (Bonesplittas, Gutbusters...) and I can't say anything good about it.

Fyreslayers don't need to be nerfed to go into a warclans style book, which is what they'll get, not something like mawtribes or cities. Strongly tying the buffs and synergies only to that faction is enough that running them together won't break the game entirely (i.e when the faction has strong linear design). That said it might happen, since GW has written literally every 3.0 battletome so far with modular design in mind, despite it definitely not being the best way to approach at least one of the books (stormcast). There's also the possibility that fyreslayers were nerfed intentionally, because the book was probably written during 2e when fyreslayers were actually very strong, and they didn't consider that the army would've suffered from the 3.0 rules changes so heavily (Which is par for the course, they seem completely ignorant of the fact that some armies got absolutely destroyed by the 3.0 changes). 
Bonesplitterz was just terrible rules writing, it was a complete failure on the writers/designers/playtesters and I don't think it should be used as an example for that exact reason. Honestly they should probably apologize for it and do a hefty FAQ to fix their mistake...

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

Fyreslayers don't need to be nerfed to go into a warclans style book, which is what they'll get, not something like mawtribes or cities. Strongly tying the buffs and synergies only to that faction is enough that running them together won't break the game entirely (i.e when the faction has strong linear design). That said it might happen, since GW has written literally every 3.0 battletome so far with modular design in mind, despite it definitely not being the best way to approach at least one of the books (stormcast). There's also the possibility that fyreslayers were nerfed intentionally, because the book was probably written during 2e when fyreslayers were actually very strong, and they didn't consider that the army would've suffered from the 3.0 rules changes so heavily (Which is par for the course, they seem completely ignorant of the fact that some armies got absolutely destroyed by the 3.0 changes). 
Bonesplitterz was just terrible rules writing, it was a complete failure on the writers/designers/playtesters and I don't think it should be used as an example for that exact reason. Honestly they should probably apologize for it and do a hefty FAQ to fix their mistake...

They already nerfed the heck out of every new Fyreslayer warscroll we've seen, which nice aligns with what I expect to happen. Yes, yes, they'll make up for it with "allegiance abilities" which just means Fyreslayers will be unplayably bad outside of their own sub-allegiance, which will still almost certainly be worse than what they used to have. I'm still not feeling optimistic in the slightest.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Is that a new KO ship!? Or do my eyes deceive me?

Duardin soup has pros and cons but I do feel for those who do not wish it to happen. Lore wise I wonder how this will be resolved and if Fyreslayers will ever take centre stage in a conflict. I hope it pans out well for all parties.

I think that's the Arkanaut Ironclad, the silhouette certainly seems to match the harpoon option.

I'm very mixed on souping Duardin, honestly if they give each component support each edition then I'm all for it, especially as someone who like the fact the Dwarves were more united than the Elves in Warhammer Fantasy. But I really hope that the announcement is paired with new kits for both Fyreslayers and Kharadon as both could do with bigger ranges.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, madmac said:

They already nerfed the heck out of every new Fyreslayer warscroll we've seen, which nice aligns with what I expect to happen. Yes, yes, they'll make up for it with "allegiance abilities" which just means Fyreslayers will be unplayably bad outside of their own sub-allegiance, which will still almost certainly be worse than what they used to have. I'm still not feeling optimistic in the slightest.

Not saying you need to be optimistic, just that I don't think the major reason they might be worse is due to being souped, just regular GW ignorance of how their game actually works.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nezzhil said:

What if the model that Vince was painting is Grombindal?!

Vince doesn't like Dwarves I think. I figure he's a bit tongue in cheek when he says it, but I doubt he'd get too excited and also risk being seen as a 'leak' by talking about a Dwarf soup 'tome during the theorising segment. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

I've been expecting dwarf soup for a while, so if it comes to pass, I won't mind. Its cool to have each faction be distinct, but fundamentally there shouldn't be any reason why they can't still do that as subfactions sharing a book. I know that hasn't been true to date, so maybe its too much to hope for, but from a pure theoretical game design viewpoint, there is no reason why it should be impossible.

While I like FS and KO, its the dispossessed that have always been my favourites, so if this is the only way we get anything solidly new for them, and get to ally them with their skyfaring and firefighting kin then I'm actually all for it.

• Like 2

So much teeth chattering over one little ship pic. xD 

I’m still holding out the fyre of hope for it to be a red herring or big dual launch instead for both independent factions. No reason they can’t just get both tomes out of the way at once.

If they do go the soup route I hope the event actually takes us through it on why it happened. As is, the two forces aren’t getting along. The Corebook has Kharadron waving off Grungni after his return and avatar-Gotrek isn’t a good influence on Fyreslayers about it as he calls Grungni a straight-up Oathbreaker.

But we shall see. 3.0 tomes are at least better for soup(or I call food trays) because they’re bigger and have way less rule-size so they can hold in tons more lore to accommodate everyone and the sub-factions are pretty independent(like how Orruk players either go full Ironjawz or Kruleboyz and hardly ever combine besides what they could’ve done with Allies and the Fyreslayers-only abilities will just reinforce that independence). So it doesn’t feel like mixed together soup so much as seperate apartments in the same building. 

Bottomline, just don’t be lazy with it if you must. Either give us new crazy units that show cooperation between the magical fire & steampunk armies or have it be the reforged White Dwarf leading an army of Gholemkin, some mecha-body duardin and the like that the other books rally behind.(would much prefer magma queens and fire lizard cavalry though..)

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • LOVE IT! 3