The Rumour Thread

2 minutes ago, Gothmaug said:

Doubtful, 

But there are community generated apps out there like battlescribe that contain the AOS points and are updated regularly. 

Azyr was so much better than Battlescribe, imho. Guess I need to give BS another shot.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gothmaug said:

Doubtful, 

But there are community generated apps out there like battlescribe that contain the AOS points and are updated regularly. 

Hiding Warscrolls behind monthly payment barrier would be really unfortunate. It's gonna be harder to persuade my friends into the hobby and I don't really wanna pay 6 dollars a month for a stat app either.

I don't mind making my army lists with a calculator, but being able to check stats of opponent units during a game is too important to pass. 

Edited by Hellberg
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Hellberg said:

I don't mind making my army lists with a calculator, but being able to check stats of opponent units during a game is too important to pass. 

This is the big one. For every tournament I go to, I load in my units and then some of my opponents units so I can view what they can do / help me remember certain stats for my opponents army (movement, attacks, spells, etc).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

I can understand this. I think they are just dated personally... Black orcs had their time in the old world but that time has gone. 

Screenshot_20210811-092738_Gallery.jpg.b7324c33c5787dc9b79ffa01759d26cf.jpg

When i saw this dude I immediately thought "damn, I hope this is the look of new Ardboys as the fluff is they're not true Ironjawz but from other clans. This would of been THE perfect opportunity to update the kit whilst tieing these new Orruks to the old ones. 

None of them would have compared to the majesty that is this guy 🥳

20210811_181321.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

1 hour ago, BaylorCorvette said:

This is the big one. For every tournament I go to, I load in my units and then some of my opponents units so I can view what they can do / help me remember certain stats for my opponents army (movement, attacks, spells, etc).

Yep, having quick, free access to every warscroll relevant to the battle was a great feature and I'll definitely miss it if they move away from that.

The thing I'm most looking forward to with Warhammer+ is the archive of content, I hope it grows quickly to become a really substantial amount of stuff!

Edited by Gareth 🍄

6 hours ago, Kadeton said:

Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz have always had a highly exaggerated, caricaturish look to them - gigantic bulging muscles, unfeasibly prominent jaws and teeth, massive heads. Kruleboyz have a lot of the same features, but they're not exaggerated to nearly the same degree - they're closer to the more grounded, "realistic" proportions of the orcs of Middle-Earth. That's the disconnect. I'm not saying it's right, but I understand where it's coming from.

Ironjawz and bonesplitterz share iconic Brian Nelson 's orc style . Kruleboyz are totally another style: probably even more risky in terms of sales than classic GW orc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ogregut said:

We don't know that warscrolls won't still be free on the new app and even if they are put behind a paywall, you can still download them from the GW site. 

thats the thing though.  Warscrolls are "Free". they come in the box, and if you pull up a web browser, go to games-workshop.com, type to search for a model, click the "rules tab", download a pdf, sure, it's free. 

You want to look up your opponents units in real time while playing in a tournament? Quickly? You want the app. They're probably gonna paywall it. Why not? 

I can see that WH+ is not for everyone. And i can also see people mad about X. But at the end of the day, you get the 40k app, the AoS app, the shows, the model, the whatever.   It's probably worth $5 a month to most people in the hobby, whether they want to admit it or not. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, PJetski said:

We don't know if that will be true after WH+ launches.

Kinda my point, we don't know what's going to happen when the app launches so we should just wait to see what happens. 

1 minute ago, sorokyl said:

thats the thing though.  Warscrolls are "Free". they come in the box, and if you pull up a web browser, go to games-workshop.com, type to search for a model, click the "rules tab", download a pdf, sure, it's free. 

You want to look up your opponents units in real time while playing in a tournament? Quickly? You want the app. They're probably gonna paywall it. Why not? 

If you want to look up a opponents warscroll/stats during a game you could always do what we did before apps, ask to look at their army book. 

2 hours ago, cyrus said:

Ironjawz and bonesplitterz share iconic Brian Nelson 's orc style . Kruleboyz are totally another style: probably even more risky in terms of sales than classic GW orc.

Even more than that, both the Bonesplitters and Ironjaws are slightly different.

The Bonesplitter plastic sculpts (i.e. most of the range) take that classic Brian Nelson lantern-jawed look and make it very angular. Lots of straight lines, 'shrink-wrapped' skin tight on their faces, stylised big geometric slabs of muscle. It's all way beyond what you saw with Nelson's 40k Gorkamorka stuff or older WHFB/40k boys or the existing Ardboys, they're quite a bit less naturalistic. I think the idea might have been to make them look like they're taut with berzerk fury, or it could have been the limits of early CAD work at GW, but it's still a recognisable stylistic shift.

671867911_Screenshot2021-08-11at22_04_27.png.d59bb7c93aa40f50af0a24f190a6e122.png

Ironjaws are different again. They have this round-skulled look with more distinctive swept-back pointed ears. The underbites are not quite as pronounced, they gurn less, and their teeth are more fangs than the huge tusks you had on older minis. There's clearly been some minor change to the body shape as well, the anatomy and proportions are different (which you also see in the 40k ork speed freaks, maybe the same sculptor or just the trends of the time).

They're still broadly within the Brian Nelson template but honestly you could see that there was some shift away from the kinds of orcs/orks we saw sculpted from 1997 onwards. Besides the armour styles being so different, this is part of why the brutes/megaboss/gore-gruntas look fairly different from the ardboys/black orc minis.

398551284_Screenshot2021-08-11at21_55_09.png.e2f138660f1ed6c863ba2d123f9f1eaa.png

So while Kruleboys definitely do represent a significant break with the Brian Nelson orc/ork model (one that actually reverts to even older GW orc designs, before the burliness and underbite were quite so fixed, quite apart from the orcs of the LotR films), there already was quite a bit of variation and change going on before them. It's still a big deal though. The platonic GW orc/ork has been for a long time more or less 1:1 with Brian Nelson's approach and I agree it's risky. A bigger risk and a bigger change than going 'hey, here's new and different dwarves/elves'.

I'd also be slightly reluctant to view the Kruleboys aesthetic as purely or necessarily understood as matter of realism or naturalism. That approach can work, we can point to stuff like their somewhat more proportional weapons and overall lower/grubbier fantasy inspiration, but in a certain light their anatomical proportions (those tiny legs, those triangular torsos) are more strikingly 'cartoonish' than most older orc/ork minis. Same for some of their faces or the scareshields.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 4
  • LOVE IT! 5

21 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Even more than that, both the Bonesplitters and Ironjaws are slightly different.

The Bonesplitter plastic sculpts (i.e. most of the range) take that classic Brian Nelson lantern-jawed look and make it very angular. Lots of straight lines, 'shrink-wrapped' skin tight on their faces, stylised big geometric slabs of muscle. It's all way beyond what you saw with Nelson's 40k Gorkamorka stuff or older WHFB/40k boys or the existing Ardboys, they're quite a bit less naturalistic. I think the idea might have been to make them look like they're taut with berzerk fury, or it could have been the limits of early CAD work at GW, but it's still a recognisable stylistic shift.

671867911_Screenshot2021-08-11at22_04_27.png.d59bb7c93aa40f50af0a24f190a6e122.png

Ironjaws are different again. They have this round-skulled look with more distinctive swept-back pointed ears. The underbites are not quite as pronounced, they gurn less, and their teeth are more fangs than the huge tusks you had on older minis. There's clearly been some minor change to the body shape as well, the anatomy and proportions are different. They're still broadly within the Brian Nelson template but honestly you could see that there was some shift away from the kinds of orcs/orks we saw sculpted from 1997 onwards. Besides the armour styles being so different, this is part of why the brutes/megaboss/gore-gruntas look fairly different from the ardboys/black orc minis.

398551284_Screenshot2021-08-11at21_55_09.png.e2f138660f1ed6c863ba2d123f9f1eaa.png

So while Kruleboys definitely do represent a significant break with the Brian Nelson orc/ork model (one that actually reverts to even older GW orc designs, before the burliness and underbite were quite so fixed, quite apart from the orcs of the LotR films), there already was quite a bit of variation and change going on before them. It's still a big deal though. The platonic GW orc/ork has been for a long time more or less 1:1 with Brian Nelson's approach and I agree it's risky. A bigger risk and a bigger change than going 'hey, here's new and different dwarves/elves'.

I'd also be slightly reluctant to view the Kruleboys aesthetic as purely or necessarily understood as matter of realism or naturalism. That approach can work, we can point to stuff like their somewhat more proportional weapons and overall lower/grubbier fantasy inspiration, but in a certain light their anatomical proportions (those tiny legs, those triangular torsos) are more strikingly 'cartoonish' than most older orc/ork minis. Same for some of their faces or the scareshields.

I absolutely loved your deep dive here mate. Loved it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Ironjaws are different again. They have this round-skulled look with more distinctive swept-back pointed ears. The underbites are not quite as pronounced, they gurn less, and their teeth are more fangs than the huge tusks you had on older minis. There's clearly been some minor change to the body shape as well, the anatomy and proportions are different. They're still broadly within the Brian Nelson template but honestly you could see that there was some shift away from the kinds of orcs/orks we saw sculpted from 1997 onwards. Besides the armour styles being so different, this is part of why the brutes/megaboss/gore-gruntas look fairly different from the ardboys/black orc minis.

Bravura exposition 🙌🏻

You're right in that its principally just an aesthetic shift, rather than a move towards "realism". Although I think its weird how in this wider discussion few people seem to have picked up on the variety within the KB themselves. 

This dude 

image.png.820673dc6944d25f0d6ccd7fa24795af.png

Has a more typically goblin/reptilian/vampiric skull whereas the dude below has a classic Brian Nelson Ape skull, and even the physiology is different, the first guy is more lean and crooked with a pigeon chest, the second has a more muscular core and barrel chest. The first one looks a bit malnourished, second one like he works out.

Theres a few more variations as well among the Gut Rippaz, and then likewise the bosses and Boltboyz have some significant variation between them. Although I like the fact that the Bosses a massive. Always annoyed me how even Grimgor Ironhide or Azhag were like a foot taller than a regular orc.

I wonder if that's the disconnect thoygh, the fact that KB don't even really have a set silhouette between them. The Skareshields are a lot of fun but I wonder if they were added in part to create some cohesion.

Whatever, I'm in love with most of the range. They make recreating that varied but cohesive vibe of Oldhammer easily attainable. 

20210707_232214.jpg

Edited by Nos
  • Like 3

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/08/12/the-sons-of-behemat-receive-a-gargantuan-battletome-update-in-this-months-white-dwarf/

"All-new battle tactics and grand strategies mean that your Mega-Gargants now have even more ways to earn victory points by doing the things they love the most – punting objectives and hurling little men, women, skaven, and even daemons around."

"In this battletome update, you’ll also find two faction-specific core battalions that give you novel ways to build armies. Ever wanted to mount a surprise charge with a unit of Mancrushers? Check out the Footsloggas core battalion, which makes your gargants super swift. What about giving two Mega-Gargants artefacts? Well, now you can do just that with Bosses of the Stomp."

I hate the idea of faction-specific core battalions

All hail @KingBrodd

Edited by Nezzhil
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

1 minute ago, Nezzhil said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/08/12/the-sons-of-behemat-receive-a-gargantuan-battletome-update-in-this-months-white-dwarf/

"In this battletome update, you’ll also find two faction-specific core battalions that give you novel ways to build armies. Ever wanted to mount a surprise charge with a unit of Mancrushers? Check out the Footsloggas core battalion, which makes your gargants super swift. What about giving two Mega-Gargants artefacts? Well, now you can do just that with Bosses of the Stomp."

And you didn't even tag @KingBrodd For shame.

• Haha 2

It’s worse than I thought.

Battletome: Sons of Behemat Update

All-new battle tactics and grand strategies mean that your Mega-Gargants now have even more ways to earn victory points by doing the things they love the most – punting objectives and hurling little men, women, skaven, and even daemons around.

In this battletome update, you’ll also find two faction-specific core battalions that give you novel ways to build armies.

GW have actually released a new universal system and then immediately ruined it by introducing faction specific strategies, battle tactics, and battalions. Worse, they are going to stagger this out by white dwarf and create an artificial delay instead of pushing them digitally immediately.

My frustration is only lessened by the fact that, as a Stormcast player, I will gain an almost immediate advantage while everyone else waits months for their White Dwarf or battletome update. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

I hate the idea of faction-specific core battalions

Here we effing go.

Faction specific battle tactics, grand strats and battalions that give the factions that have them an advantage while the rest of us have to wait.

9th ed 40k power creep here we come.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2