The Rumour Thread

12 minutes ago, Goodapollo4 said:

Well this should be exciting! Are we thinking this will be a boxed release (rule book, models, maybe terrain if we are lucky), or just a book release? If Shadow War is anything to go by we could be surprised, but quite frankly I have no idea what to expect from GW these days.

I responded to Ben's tweet with these questions and he said he would try to answer any questions posted, so we'll see.

That said, I don't anticipate a real release.  This will likely be a tight ruleset made available in a White Dwarf or some other small supplement, maybe even the GHB2.  I don't expect that we'll get a terrain release with it.

That's what I'm expecting too, small release. I'd love to be wrong here though, more terrain would be cool! Then again I never seem to get around to terrain, I've still got an Imperial Sector from like 2007 I haven't even built yet. I'm starting to think about all the terrain I have unbuilt/unpainted and it's a bit disconcerting.

So....  These are all comments from GW's go to writer Josh Reynold's ask.fm page where readers write questions about the lore and upcoming events in books and tomes and he tries to answer to the best of his knowledge and honoring any contract clauses he has...

So first of all, grot sky pirates, he mentioned them already five months ago as a faction he'd like to invent from new... What's the reason we're suddenly seeing them pop up in different places?? - Just him having a lark, or did he drop off a hint on his ask.fm five months ago??

Also there's some stuff on Stormcast Eternals and what happens if they turn.... bad... And very strong hints about coming books or tomes about this. Is this a reference to that whole Nagash is envious of Sigmar thing, and is something on the way on the Death side or something similar? 

Am I clawing at rumor mongering straws?.... YES!

Here goes:

If you were given leeway to make an AoS faction from new cloth, what would you like to see new from the setting?

JR: Urgh. Either a new human faction - not Sigmarites or a Bretonnian rehash, something more akin to Dogs of War, with special units from a variety of cultures - or Gargants. Just lots of Gargants. Different sorts of Gargants.

Or, y'know, Grot sky-pirates.

If Sigmar is taking the freewill of people to choose to become a stormcast eternal or not. Don't you think that is evil? He is not giving them a choice.

JR: Is he taking their free will, or is he choosing people who've already made that choice, on some level? Do your wishes matter, when it comes to a cosmic war, fought in the name of sentient life everywhere? If your only other option is death (or worse), is it really a choice at all? Are you just a pawn, in the games of the gods, or do your choices matter in some ineffable way?

It's almost as if there's a narrative arc, of sorts, to this whole Stormcast thing, isn't there? Almost as if it might be building to something. Or not. Who knows? Not me. I'm just a guy working on a per-contract basis.

What happens to the heroes that don't want to become stormcast eternals when Sigmar takes them?

JR: That's an interesting question. I wonder if someone will start writing a book about that, among other things, in, say, 3-4 months.

How will Sigmar deal with his stormcast eternals becoming a bunch of lobotomized automatons?

JR: Wait and see.

Edited by Teletomas
  • Like 4

So if every time a SCE dies they lose a piece of their soul. So does this piece of the soul go back to Nagash? Then Nagash would begin to have more of the SCE souls while the SCE become more and more walking celestial energized automotons. The only thing I hope never happens is SCE get tainted by chaos. That seems so low fantasy and not at all like AoS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barimbino said:

So if every time a SCE dies they lose a piece of their soul. So does this piece of the soul go back to Nagash? Then Nagash would begin to have more of the SCE souls while the SCE become more and more walking celestial energized automotons. The only thing I hope never happens is SCE get tainted by chaos. That seems so low fantasy and not at all like AoS.

They can't be tainted by chaos, a GUO in a novel stated as such plus I like the fact they cannot to be tainted hence why chaos aims for normal humans. 

The latest SE battletome made it clear that reforging also exacerbates the traits peculiar to each stormhost, so Hallowed Knights glow with divine light, Celesial Vindicators crackle with lightning etc. So i dont think they always lose a piece of their soul to Nagash - instead it is the job of the Lord Relictors to minimise this. 

The Grot stuff is interesting. But the Stormcast stuff is really as expected. GW has been going that way since the very first fluff pieces.

It's going to to be super interesting to see how it pans out though. I expect that Stormhosts will have even more tangible differences, like chapters of Space Marines have now.

Grots are right now the most interesting stuff, thou I am afraid, that the overall feel might differ too much. To me, the overall setting has to stay believble. If I imagine a supermechanized Grot next to a club wielding Bonesplitter....it just doesen`t seem to fit. I have the same issue with the Kharadron and the Stormcats.

And I think the people in Nottingham do see this as well. So I expect some of the older factions to get a more up to date look and feel.

99% sure this is a stormcast collar it is nearly identical to a few I have already.

My bet might be on a new relictor clampack.

Another larger sCE release wouldn't make much sense.

Edit - Just looking at my shelves and the original relictor, the lord celestant on stardrake (and templar variant) all have more fabulous collars.

LC on foot has a similar size but different structure.

OH it could be another of those chambers - sacrosanct. Which would also maybe match a new relictor release.

Edited by Turragor
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2017 at 1:50 PM, daedalus81 said:

Skirmish on Twitch this Wednesday

I have high hopes for this. I'm guessing/hoping there will be a two player starter set and then a separate rule book much like Kill Team and Shadow War Armageddon. Realistically I'll have only ever have one or two full factions for an army game like AoS 40k, and a skirmish size game where I can get some bite sized tastes of some Orcs or Khorne with out buying a whole army would be great.

2 hours ago, bsharitt said:

Realistically I'll have only ever have one or two full factions for an army game like AoS 40k, and a skirmish size game where I can get some bite sized tastes of some Orcs or Khorne with out buying a whole army would be great.

It's kinda a bummer for me when I read stuff like that.  Not directed at you specifically, but folks seem to have so completely moved their minds over to the post -GHB state of "armies" that they forget that a primary joy of AoS, as sold since Day 1, is exactly the thing you wish you had - and already do - the ability to plop down a few orcs or Khorne guys and have a game. AoS was built to do this.  Only the "Must make 2000 point Matched Play armies" mentality prevents you from doing what you express a desire to do. 

That said,  a small two-player box would be sweet. ☺

• Like 7

I know people keep saying don't expect anything AOS until well after 40k is out but we have 3 weeks of May left - there won't be anything 40k during then will there? This leaves me wondering - yes we have skirmish but I also have high hopes for a surprise battletome using existing models coming out!

Edited by Percivael

30 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

It's kinda a bummer for me when I read stuff like that.  Not directed at you specifically, but folks seem to have so completely moved their minds over to the post -GHB state of "armies" that they forget that a primary joy of AoS, as sold since Day 1, is exactly the thing you wish you had - and already do - the ability to plop down a few orcs or Khorne guys and have a game. AoS was built to do this.  Only the "Must make 2000 point Matched Play armies" mentality prevents you from doing what you express a desire to do. 

That said,  a small two-player box would be sweet. ☺

I would love to be able to play more casual games, but outside of my playing with my son, it's pretty much a non-starter for me. AoS was practically DOA around here without points(I was still interested in it, but looked like I'd have few opponents so I didn't get into it then) and has since picked up a big way since the GHB release. That being said, small matched skirmish games are what currently hit the sweet spot for me in tabletop games, so AoS moving into that spot has me excited.

• Like 1