The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Hot take : DoK feels incomplete because when they release Malerion's shadow elves they're gonna merge them into one big faction of Ulgu elves.

They better not! There's a reason why they are called the "Daughters of Khaine": they worship Khaine (who is actually dead but may come back), and Morathi was the Oracle, and now the aspect of Khaine having Malerion thrown in would just not fit. Plus, it would be a waste to basically remake the old Dark Elves in such a way.

Plus Malerion is supposed to hate Morathi.

Edited by DD-Lord
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

21 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

I don't know about mount traits. StD and the latest battletome CoS didn't get mount traits. I don't know on which basis they decide to give mount traits. I fear that they have a certain number each battletome can have combined in artefacts, command traits and etc.. In the previous CoS battletome there were mount traits. The monsters stayed, the traits were removed.

Tbf, CoS mount traits were not in the previous battletome either, but somewhere else, can't remember if it was in broken realms or the tome celestial

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DD-Lord said:

They better not! There's a reason why they are called the "Daughters of Khaine": they worship Khaine (who is actually dead but may come back), and Morathi was the Oracle, and now the aspect of Khaine having Malerion thrown in would just not fit. Plus, it would be a waste to basically remake the old Dark Elves in such a way.

I can see GW giving the "dark aelfs" the orruk warclans treatment, with DoK being their own thing but also a part of their Big Waaagh equivalent. Not saying it's a given or what I'd prefer, but certainly a strong possibility. Then again, the dwarfs were never souped despite all the preventive seething in this same thread, so the coin can land in either side.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Hot take : DoK feels incomplete because when they release Malerion's shadow elves they're gonna merge them into one big faction of Ulgu elves.

This is what I'm hoping for. As a DoK player, I think the one-note Khainite worshippers being bamboozled theme has passed its prime. With Morathi becoming a true god, it no longer makes sense that she would hide it, and a combined force of Khainites and Umbral elves would be sick.

DoK are already basically shadow elves.

Edited by Mutton
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

I am with you. An army without diversity in the troops is not an army, just a big warband 😄

So this is where I feel another big difference between WHFB/TOW and AOS lies. 

TOW seems like vast armies fighting giant wars against each other with tons of models. 

AOS feels more exaggerated skirmish. Where there are random groups of whatever in a battle. I feel the lore often leans that way as the story progresses. Most dawnbringer battles have been small execursions of an army. 

So think you said it perfectly. These aren’t armies. They are large warbands and I feel that’s intentional from the design of the game and the lore.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DD-Lord said:

In addition to this, I just personally don't want Malerion and his randos. I bought and play Daughters for hot snake women and bikini elves. I'd be extremely disappointed if the army's theme was subverted to make room for something totally different. Like if the next Fyreslayers wave was Chaos Dwarves, or the Skaven relaunch combined them with Beastmen.

Also, none of the shadow elf stuff I've seen so far impresses me at all. The Shadowstalkers are super over busy while still managing to feel very generic. 

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 7

1 hour ago, GhostShark said:

I bought and play Daughters for hot snake women and bikini elves.

My bets on a soup tome like warclans. 

Still getcha kink but bolstered by sultry black metal aelves. 🤘

Hopefully lessons have been learned by warclans and each can stand on their own whilst sharing a home. 

7 hours ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

Ohhh, now you're talking! That'd be glorious. There's so much new stuff they could explore, now that they've fleshed out the individual Chaos factions so much. I love the Liber Chaoticas, I still often refer back to the Slaanesh volume for a quick injection of dark and twisted inspiration! 

I'd like the principia necrotopia

4 hours ago, GhostShark said:

In addition to this, I just personally don't want Malerion and his randos. I bought and play Daughters for hot snake women and bikini elves. I'd be extremely disappointed if the army's theme was subverted to make room for something totally different. Like if the next Fyreslayers wave was Chaos Dwarves, or the Skaven relaunch combined them with Beastmen.

Also, none of the shadow elf stuff I've seen so far impresses me at all. The Shadowstalkers are super over busy while still managing to feel very generic. 

Skaven are already combined back together to skaven.

there’s no need for beastmen to be a part of our army.

it was tragic enough that the skaven got split at the beginning.

don’t need the empire beliefs to be manifested in aos

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DD-Lord said:

Maybe they do something similar to Warclans. A BT that regroups all Ulgu Elves in a same book (which I'm for because better to buy one book than two), with 2 subfactions : DoK with Morathi and Umbral Elves with Malerion, that you can play separately. Gives you the option to play both separately. But also with a 3rd option similar to Big Waaagh! where you can merge the subfactions into one big faction that loses homogeneity but with a larger roster. Best of both worlds.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

9 hours ago, DD-Lord said:

I would not mind combining them and giving the DoK a huge subfaction :)

It's always been a love-hate-relationship with the two, so who knows.

As others have mentioned: The range of DoK is wildly lacking (also gameplay wise)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jetlife said:

So this is where I feel another big difference between WHFB/TOW and AOS lies. 

TOW seems like vast armies fighting giant wars against each other with tons of models. 

AOS feels more exaggerated skirmish. Where there are random groups of whatever in a battle. I feel the lore often leans that way as the story progresses. Most dawnbringer battles have been small execursions of an army. 

So think you said it perfectly. These aren’t armies. They are large warbands and I feel that’s intentional from the design of the game and the lore.

I cannot agree with you about the lore bit.

The crusades can vary in size, but they are definitely well-prepared and big armies. Even closer to what was supposed to be a historical army than anything from WHFB, as they are accompanied by civilians and all sorts of normal life things.

To empathise with their army treatment we have examples where different cities take battalions from other cities to round better the crusade, so they are deffo bigger than a warband.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

Btw, talking about maps. Something just popped in my head.

The Spanish Wiki (Sigmaroteca) has a couple of sections about maps:

An atlas compiling them all: Atlas de los Reinos Mortales | Sigmaroteca | Fandom

If I am not wrong the atlas includes photoshopped amps of those regions where a map has different smaller ones and they have been put together when possible.

And a section with interactive maps: Mapas interactivos | Sigmaroteca | Fandom

I always read the Spanish wiki as ‘Sigmar Erotica’, and people do keep saying they want more AoS books…

Personally I also don’t want to see DoK rolled in with the Malerion faction. I want the Malerion shadow elves to be their own weird thing. And honestly I’ll be really disappointed if they’re basically the shadow elves from Daughters of Khaine but as a faction, they’ve had two goes at them now and both just leave me really cold. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Still-young said:

I always read the Spanish wiki as ‘Sigmar Erotica’, and people do keep saying they want more AoS books…

Personally I also don’t want to see DoK rolled in with the Malerion faction. I want the Malerion shadow elves to be their own weird thing. And honestly I’ll be really disappointed if they’re basically the shadow elves from Daughters of Khaine but as a faction, they’ve had two goes at them now and both just leave me really cold. 

It is a mix of Sigmar and Biblioteca (Library), but deffo Sigmar Erotica would be a super funny name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Skaven are already combined back together to skaven.

there’s no need for beastmen to be a part of our army.

it was tragic enough that the skaven got split at the beginning.

don’t need the empire beliefs to be manifested in aos

In my opinion they should have split Skaven BUT with an appropriate support. They have as much potential as Elves, Orks or Dwarves to have several distinct and well themed armies.

I would personally made 2, optionally 3:

1. Hightech Skryre with mechs and guns

2. Moulder as current armies don't really cover mutation theme well, as Genestealer Cults

3. All the rest, focused on high numbers.

IMHO Pestilence should go. Nurgle is enough.

Skaven left as a whole probably will never be supported enough to have a strong theme. It will always be like 3 units per Clan making it hard and boring to make something thematically consistent.

Edited by Aeryenn

4 hours ago, Jetlife said:

Sure thing. And it just regularly happens that the likes of Archaon, Katakros or Alarielle not only meet on the fields of battle (it’s just eight huge realms after all) but do so in the company of large warbands instead of massive armies. Top-notch design.

1 minute ago, Aeryenn said:

In my opinion they should have split Skaven BUT with an appropriate support. They have as much potential as Elves, Orks or Dwarves to have several distinct and well themed armies.

I would personally made 2, optionally 3:

1. Hightech Skryre with mechs and guns

2. Moulder as current armies don't really cover mutation theme well, as Genestealer Cults

3. All the rest, focused on high numbers.

Skaven left as a while probably will never be supported enough to have a strong theme. It will always be like 3 units per Clan making it hard and boring to make something thematically consistent.

Personally I disagree with you there.

but I think skaven are one of the faction that’ll have a wider audience of people who are split on both our opinions.

personally I’m quit happy they chose to put skaven as an army together and I do hope it won’t get split again.

but that’s just my opinion 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Personally I disagree with you there.

but I think skaven are one of the faction that’ll have a wider audience of people who are split on both our opinions.

personally I’m quit happy they chose to put skaven as an army together and I do hope it won’t get split again.

but that’s just my opinion 

Cool.

I think that Skaven united would work when they were updated as often as Stormcasts are, which we both know it won't happen.

I was THAT close to starting Skryre army but resigned due to not many model options and didn't want to make a mixed clan army. I'm not a fan of spam armies either so running dozens of Stormfiends was not a solution.

We will see what the future brings to Skaven. If I was to bet I'd say they will center on Skavens just being overgrown rats with one unit here and there but the core will be just rats with swords.

As someone who's been waiting for Malerions faction/army to be released since AoS first launched I admit I would be somewhat disappointed if they just get souped in or share a book with DoK. Mostly because I think I'm concerned that they would end up in a similar position to Kruleboyz where they don't quite feel like a full army because they lack a few extra units/options. Granted there's a few armies that have their own solo tome that have that similar lacking feeling so It may happen regardless of whether they get their own individual tome or not.

With that being said I do understand the merits of combining them.

Edited by SilentSentinel
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Anyone would say skavens sell bad and are highly impopular according to GW, instead of being one of the 5-3 most popular Warhammer races thanks to the support of the community, videogames and memes. Oh well, GW hates the money, I guess.

14 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

We will see what the future brings to Skaven. If I was to bet I'd say they will center on Skavens just being overgrown rats with one unit here and there but the core will be just rats with swords.

Thats simply not gonna happen. Globadiers, Rat ogres or grey seers are just one of the many reasons why people LOVE skavens for them to get an oversimplification. Its their moto, some of the most iconic units in warhammer. Would be like taking Basilisks away from the Imperial Guard, or erasing Phoenix lords from the eldar roster.

Would be a very stupid move. Alltho, granted, they already killed the council of 13 to not be plotwise relevant ever again, so, who knows at this point.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

Not going to say "should", but Pestilens and Eshin definitely have the potential add just a few heroes rather than being full-fledged subfactions (priests and assassins, respectively). It's kinda like in Cities of Sigmar you would not necessarily expect to be able to field a full army of Witch Hunters.

I like focussing on Moulder, Skryre and Masterclan for subfactions. They all have the potential to fill established AoS archetypes (monster mash, shooting, hordes). It makes sense for them to have their own troop-level units, too. I think a redesign of Skaven that is mainly those three subfactions, with Pestilens and Eshin filling more supportive roles but unable to field "pure" lists would not be the worst.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

we have 4 death armies, I think there's enough space for 2 plague armies

Skaven is a tough design point though, like many armies (CoS being the best example) they would really benefit from several waves to flesh out all the clans

But there's a lot of armies that deserve a bit more flesh,, it's impossible for GW to work that fast though

my hopes for skaven are more skyre stuff, I think the chaotic rat scientist are the most unique and fun of the skaven roster, add some abominations created from Frankenstein like experiments and I think we'd have a nice start

• Like 3