The Rumour Thread

2 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Feeling kind of miffed right now. I love TGA and generally people are normally enthusiastic for new models for factions that aren't there own.

But kind of sad that people seem to be celebrating loss if miniatures I like, and calling for others I like to go next ☹️

Grump over. Bring on the cannon preview. And the floating rock war alter.

I feel that, and believe me I owned some of the models that are getting the axe today. I've been expecting that for a long time though, so if anything I'm just a little pumped that not all of my CoS models are being removed today.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Feeling kind of miffed right now. I love TGA and generally people are normally enthusiastic for new models for factions that aren't there own.

But kind of sad that people seem to be celebrating loss if miniatures I like, and calling for others I like to go next ☹️

Yeah, it's always been one of my wrinkles with TGA. People are happy about models being removed for the sin of being associated with Fantasy, but if the shoe was on their foot chances are they'd not be celebrating. 

People who've spend hundreds if not thousands of pounds and as many hours building/painting/converting their armies are not going to be thrilled at being told "well it's a good thing they're useless because I don't like Fantasy models in AoS." Like, does their presence really upset people that much? 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Secretive Chaos Cultist in Ulgu are going to be absolute fire. Morathi's flitartions with Slaanesh worship in the Old World the Secretive cults of Tzeentch in a world of courtly murders and intrigue, Khorne creating blood lust in imperialistic lords looking to take space beyond the realm, Nurgle sowing sickness deep in the shadows. Lets not forget the Great Horned Rat and his minions in the darkness beneath and the strange Bestial forms that can crop up in a land of perpetual shadow. 

But yes some spikey elves with a mirrored mask where you turn the mists into colourful Tzeentchian haze will look utterly amazing.

Yeah, can‘t wait to see more of Ulgu in general, I hope they will explore it further when Malerion hits AoS! 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, EntMan said:

But kind of sad that people seem to be celebrating loss of miniatures I like, and calling for others I like to go next ☹️

Sorry if i might have offended some people in any way. I've been there with my O&G army. I am just looking forward to new minis because GW is doing a great job with that imho. Sorry for the people that lost their army with this warcom message.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Yeah, it's always been one of my wrinkles with TGA. People are happy about models being removed for the sin of being associated with Fantasy, but if the shoe was on their foot chances are they'd not be celebrating. 

People are happy about models being removed as it opens up new opportunities. Contrary to some folks beliefs, GW's design, productions and logistics resources are limited and some rotation is inevitable.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

Just now, EntMan said:

Cities is that weird army that gets a lot of aggro with a lot of people thinking it was placeholder and just way to shut up the Fantasy fans until the Old World came out. I got into Cities about a year ago and even the GW store owner said don't do it Cities is not a real faction lol.

And today was the first step to proving them right. Hopefully GW commits to keeping different races in the faction and we have the orges as a good sign that they may.

On the topic of "at least it means they're likely to get new models." I spent my money already. I'm not looking to buy new overpriced models now and I can't get excited that I'm being told by GW that I have to. Guess I'll be happy for the people who are in better financial position to reap the benefits of "updated kits" but I'm sure GW will make sure that IF/when they replace them with kurnothi sculpts down the line like they did with lumineth they will ensure they do not have easy 1 for 1 proxies.

If I'm not mistaken I found the removed wood elf line makes a decent line up of SBGL proxies so I can maybe play my dead models as dead models.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

CoS is my main army, so I have plenty of old Empire models. I agree with you, it's a bit sad that these models aren't "official" anymore, models we spent money and time in.
And still, we could say that it was a matter of time. It happens all the time for all factions, it's one of the downside of this hobby.

On the other hand I think it's also a good symptom, it means that the game is moving forward and we have new fresh miniatures to buy. New lore also, if we want to embrace it. I like these new freeguild fellas, but I like my oldies too and I will continue to use them. I can, so I will!

Edited by Fulcanelli
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Flippy said:

People are happy about models being removed as it opens up new opportunities. Contrary to some folks beliefs, GW's design, productions and logistics resources are limited and some rotation is inevitable.

Except it's almost certain they'll be staying around for The Old World, plus most of them were already Direct Only anyway.

'New opportunities' doesn't mean much if people built those models around being used for CoS. The High Elf stuff co-existed in Cities fine even as Lumineth being a standalone army.

I'm reminded of the Horus Heresy models they just revamped to plastic being quarantined to Legends in 40k despite them having been made far more readily accessible than ever before. Does it make much sense? No, but GW are masters of making some truly bizarre, almost random decisions.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, Snarff said:

I'm hoping for a CoS wave 2 later down the line to get rid of the remaining WFB models. Proper Scourge Privateers, Kharibdys moved to Idoneth with a new kit, cities Duardin, mixed units of Aelves/Humans/Duardin, proper realm mages instead of the battlemages, cogforts instead of steam tanks, etc.

I would LOVE to see the Kharibdys go into Idoneth!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, EntMan said:

But kind of sad that people seem to be celebrating loss of miniatures I like, and calling for others I like to go next ☹️

Well it all depends how do you approach it. I have a huge collection of vc, fec and dark elves that I put in hundreds of hours assembling, painting and basing. Was I said when vc got replaced with sbgl? Not really I was hyped I will get new models for my favorite army. The old models will stay in the cabinet so I can look at them and feel nostalgic 😊 when the new fec will drop I will probably buy a lot and have fun addiing them to my collection. The old models only drop in value if you think about selling them but then you’re probably not very attached to them. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

I would LOVE to see the Kharibdys go into Idoneth!!

I wouldnt, I'll rather a brand new monster as weird and terrifying as befits a creature from the depths. 

A good article from GW and nice to have confirmation of what's been rumoured for ages. 

Picked up an anvilgurad starter set for my Old World dark elves and I can't wait to see what else is coming for CoS.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, EntMan said:

I'm not celebrating the models going away. I'm celebrating that the army now actually fits in the AoS setting and is much more lore appropriate.

I am of the opinion though that not every model in an army made of holdovers ever made needs its own warscroll, especially when there are spiritual successors to the models, or if there are already very similar units filling almost the exact same role.

I'm also much more excited to see what they do with the models now that they're not stuck with the constraints of the empire anymore. Tahlia Vedra is absolutely amazing, and I prefer the sculpt to the freeguild general on griffon in every way.

Old sculpts can also always be proxies.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Seconded. I get some of the thought process but it’s the only place I’ve seen get so excited about squatting ranges or parts of ranges, including speculating happily about other things which could be squatted.

That’s not even to say everything must stay the same forever but a lot of minis which have been dropped cannot easily be proxied. Moreover the prospect of freeing up the design space seems pretty illusory and unreliable. ‘Drop X because GW might do something broadly like it’ feels weird. So too does the definition of what’s ‘AoS-appropriate’, which can come off as sticking to a very narrow and flashy idea of what the background is meant to be like.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

It feels like we may see the last of Skaven and Beastman in AoS In terms of how they currently look and this cities release just has me thinking of the future of  AoS. Is it time to say good bye to how we've been handed factions so far?

With the myriad of chaos cults that have been introduced into AoS it's a shame they haven't updated them and could see them being retired in part to WH

Id like to see

pestigors and plague rats in Nurgle

New khornegors for Khorne

Rest of the beasts of chaos relegated to the old world and replaced with a realms of chaos faction. Bring the chaos cults from Warcry into this book and add in unique realm based factions. New realm based beastmen and Skaven representing the different realms. 

I can see a place for Skyre and Moulder as their own thing in the setting but why not have new Skaven assassin's be a part of an Ulgu chaos force with new Ulgu beastmen, a new shadow monster, the unmade and a suitable cheif! A few kits per realm and you'd be good to go.

Im still holding out hope for some steam punk ironweld arsenal and cogfort related release with this new cities update but in the future a special unit from all the realms would be awesome! I think they can really tap into this and give us a sense of the different cultures in these cities.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Good move from GW. I for one am fine with the suppression of duplicates - and yeah, the sooner WFB kits go back to their home in ToW, the better ! 

To be frank I also wished for Darkling Coven (not the Scourge !) to go back to ToW, as they are mainly associated with Har Kuron, Ulgu and Morathi, and it would have heralded the coming of Malerion's Ulgurothi... 

Oh and and at least upgrade sprues for Griphon, Luminark/Hurricanum and Steam tank, to hide the "Karl Franz" names everywhere. Anyway easy conversion ahead. 

Glad to have the new Artillery 100% confirmed too :) 

Everything dark elve related is something I a gually thought would become a part of morathis army.

it would aslo make a lot of sense and would give the old daro elve player the chance to play them reunited ones again

52 minutes ago, The Red King said:

but I'm sure GW will make sure that IF/when they replace them with kurnothi sculpts down the line like they did with lumineth they will ensure they do not have easy 1 for 1 proxies.

But you can easily proxy almost the entire Lumineth range with High Elves… what’s the problem?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Flippy said:

But you can easily proxy almost the entire Lumineth range with High Elves… what’s the problem?

No? Dragons, griffins, the phoenix, great eagles, both chariots, skyrunners… Some of those can (or could) fit into the CoS range but that’s a chunk of units, even putting aside the fairly inexact proxies, like the Lothern Seaguard.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Everything dark elve related is something I a gually thought would become a part of morathis army.

it would aslo make a lot of sense and would give the old daro elve player the chance to play them reunited ones again

They are waiting for Malerion for it. So IMO, we are less than 4 years away from him.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Update Cities roster best guess:

Hide contents
  1. • Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage
  2.  Freeguild General on Griffon
  3. • Battlemage on Griffon
  4. • Dreadlord on Black Dragon
  5. • Luminark of Hysh with White Battlemage
  6. • Sorceress on Black Dragon
  7. • Steam Tank with Commander
  8. • Assassin
  9. • Battlemage
  10. • Black Ark Fleetmaster
  11. • Cogsmith
  12. • Runelord
  13. • Sorceress
  14. • Warden King
  15. • Doralia ven Denst
  16. • Galen ven Denst
  17. • Haskell Hexbane
  18. • Hexbane's Hunters
  19. • Flagellants
  20. • Bleakswords
  21. • Darkshards
  22. • Dreadspears
  23. • Ironbreakers
  24. • Longbeards
  25. • Black Ark Corsairs
  26. • Black Guard
  27. • Dark Riders
  28. • Drakespawn Chariots
  29. • Drakespawn Knights
  30. • Executioners
  31. • Gyrobombers
  32. • Gyrocopters
  33. • Hammerers
  34. • Irondrakes
  35. • Scourgerunner Chariots
  36. • Celestial Hurricanum
  37. • Kharibdyss
  38. • Luminark of Hysh
  39. • Steam Tank
  40. • War Hydra
  41. Steelhelms
  42. Cavaliers
  43. Fusiliers
  44. Marshall
  45. Alchemite
  46. Thalia Vedra
  47. Warhulk
  48. Cannon (whitefang confirmed)
  49. Elites (Big Axe Render)
  50. Big Religious Kit (Religious bits render)
  51. Unrevealed Unit 1 (e,g Warpriest)
  52. Unrevealed Unit 2 (e.g Witch Hunter)
  53. Unrevealed Unit 3 (e.g. Outriders)
  54. Unrevealed Unit 4 (e.g THE WAR WAGON)

Now includes the two griffons and Flagellants. Looks like the Flagellants will be the Grave Guard of Cities.

This leaves us with at most 6 7 more kits to be revealed.

EDIT: Forgot to remove Shadow Warriors even though I just posted about them.

Even better!  In the current CoS warscrolls, the Hurricanum and Luminark hero and non-hero profiles are actually merged onto the same physical warscroll.  So instead of taking up 4 slots, they only take up 2 IF they keep doing that the same way with this new book.  So there's potential that could be 9 kits.

• Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I think it's a really interesting move on GWs behalf. Other than the whole range rotation thing, I don't think we've ever seen them address the retirement of certain models/kits ahead, even making certain implications about what will replace them.

By no means happy to see those older kits go away. I believe Empire had a massive overhaul about ten years ago and most of all I'm just sad they didn't get to hang around all that much in the old world of Fantasy. I definitely have, erh, puritan tendencies when it comes to Fantasy and Sigmar - I want as little overlap as possible. But I totally get how people are unhappy with these models being retired, especially those awesomely creative people who managed to take what was otherwise a product designed for Fantasy and make it feel at home in the Mortal Realms.

Cities is a long term project so i don't think we will not have something that will "make possible" using old oop kits.
Kurnothi seems wanderer 2.0 with some animal side, Malerion "maybe" will bring something similar to old DE and Grungni maybe will expand old dispossessed into something more like a "classic dwarf faction in the mortal realms".
Also the cities can take options from other order armies so i can't see why someone should be against using old wanderers as a kurnothi in a cities army like tempest eye's Kharadron.

This is a minor thing but I am glad they finally put the Celestial Hurricanum on a round base! With the approach of ToW hopefully, we can see an end to square bases being marketed under the AoS banner. With these removals (I guess most of these kits will return under ToW banner) it will only really leave the Dark Elves (The Duardin Models are some of the best-looking ToW kits in the CoS range IMO). I'll guess we will see what happens with them in 4th Edition. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

No? Dragons, griffins, the phoenix, great eagles, both chariots, skyrunners… Some of those can (or could) fit into the CoS range but that’s a chunk of units, even putting aside the fairly inexact proxies, like the Lothern Seaguard.

I was looking at this from the other end. But still… the HE’s core models (infantry, cavalry) are almost 1:1 compatible with Lumineth. The once you listed - I see them more as ornaments.