The Rumour Thread

6 minutes ago, willange said:

Wait, what about Kislev?  They did that whole preview for old world for kislev way back when and now they’re not in the list of supported factions, so I’m decently confused. 

It's clear that they just swiped those concepts from Total War to have something to show. The project has been a hap-hazard effort to stop 3rd parties. So far I have seen nothing of the project that says other wise. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Halandaar said:

It would certainly make more sense than putting an older/worse version of the same unit back into production concurrently with the new one, and I feel like the previous announcement about base sizes going up was actually less about "dynamic posing" as they claimed and more to accommodate stuff like the new Chaos Warriors (and eventually Saurus Warriors). 

Its possible they have warehouses of old stock left over from the end of Warhammer fantasy, and we may just see those older sculpts repackaged for 2024 warhammer fantasy battles. Its a dream come true for any company, who can sell old stock they paid to make in 1990 and sell it for 2024 prices. 

But re-using old molds and reproducing old metal and resin fantasy units? seems like a terrible waste of resources, especially for a company that wants to sell little plastic soldiers. So you lure the old guard back with photos of old models, let everyone dust off their old models to play with, then slowly replace each faction with new spiffy plastic models, which people are tempted to buy to upgrade their existing "dated" sculpts. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gothmaug said:

Its possible they have warehouses of old stock left over from the end of Warhammer fantasy, and we may just see those older sculpts repackaged for 2024 warhammer fantasy battles. Its a dream come true for any company, who can sell old stock they paid to make in 1990 and sell it for 2024 prices. 

But re-using old molds and reproducing old metal and resin fantasy units? seems like a terrible waste of resources, especially for a company that wants to sell little plastic soldiers. So you lure the old guard back with photos of old models, let everyone dust off their old models to play with, then slowly replace each faction with new spiffy plastic models, which people are tempted to buy to upgrade their existing "dated" sculpts. 

I think its more of a design problem than an opportunity to sell old stock. All of those old kits were probably destroyed. You free up warehouse space and might get a tax write off.

The real issue old world had to tackle was how to fill out multiple factions model-wise with a smaller budget/design team. The game needs multiple factions to work and capture the old world appeal, but launching 4-6 completely new models lines at the same time is completely unrealistic. 

I suspect we'll see 1-2 of the armies get a bunch of new models, and the rest getting a few characters to tie into the narrative at the start, and if its successful they'll slowly release more.

Heresy didn't really have this issue since its pretty much all space marines. There are some differences, but for the most part the armies tend to share the same core units.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, willange said:

Wait, what about Kislev?  They did that whole preview for old world for kislev way back when and now they’re not in the list of supported factions, so I’m decently confused. 

I think it's that Kislev didn't officially have rules in 8th, or rather had a vestigal ruleset from an older edition. I imagine we will see Kislev eventually - but that they need the financial success of the predominantly re-released older material to guarantee a new army?

In some senses one can imagine "Warhammer The Old World" becoming "Warhammer The New World" or "Warhammer The Silk Road", expanding the game's remit, geographical focus and narrative, just as "Necromunda Underhive" went on to be "Necromunda Dark Uprising", then to "Necromunda The Ash Wastes". 

• Like 2

The whole point of Old World is to attract the elderly grumblers who spout that the Fantasy days were better. Of course they're going to show all of the outdated, retched models that tap the old nostalgia bone. But real talk here, let's not pretend most of us aren't going to just play with AoS stuff.

RIP to those factions that are on the "We don't have the time/energy to work on these" list. Ogres always suffering.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Mutton said:

The whole point of Old World is to attract the elderly grumblers who spout that the Fantasy days were better. Of course they're going to show all of the outdated, retched models that tap the old nostalgia bone. But real talk here, let's not pretend most of us aren't going to just play with AoS stuff.

RIP to those factions that are on the "We don't have the time/energy to work on these" list. Ogres always suffering.

I don't think it's aimed at elderly grumbled who spout such utterings as they will always moan and will probably never buy new models as they didnt the first time around. 

I think it's aimmed at players like me who loved fantasy and want to dive back into the game but also love AoS which means Im likely to buy new stuff as I bought into a whole new game. 

I'm building a new dark elf army ready for launch but I'm already sure I'll be getting a orc and goblin army. And I want wood elves. And I've never had a proper Beastman army..... 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, petitionercity said:

I think it's that Kislev didn't officially have rules in 8th, or rather had a vestigal ruleset from an older edition. I imagine we will see Kislev eventually - but that they need the financial success of the predominantly re-released older material to guarantee a new army?

In some senses one can imagine "Warhammer The Old World" becoming "Warhammer The New World" or "Warhammer The Silk Road", expanding the game's remit, geographical focus and narrative, just as "Necromunda Underhive" went on to be "Necromunda Dark Uprising", then to "Necromunda The Ash Wastes". 

I could see that happening too, but they didn’t provide any indication yet that it will, which doesn’t make much sense to me. 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/03/23/the-old-world-ice-guard-of-kislevgw-homepage-post-4fw-homepage-post-2/

here’s the original article. 

It’s specifically branded to old world. It’s bizarre that they didn’t mention it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, willange said:

Was Kislev ever a proper WFB army? There is your answer.

Am i the only one thats not hyped to see old models returning? At probably double the price they used to be. 

I get the nostalgia but imho old removed models should stay removed. I own a few whfb era models that got removed when AoS became a thing. It sucked when i just started the hobby and half my army got deleted. Dont know how i feel about those models returning. I just hoped the old world would be a completely new thing as an homage to whfb.

• Like 7

Once again I feel like them playing their cards too close to the chest does more harm then good, but it is pretty clear that is how GW rolls. We just don't really know what their goal of this game is (outside making more money)

I got one friend who believes that Tomb Kings will be getting a range refresh, but then you see streamers thinking that they just want to clear out all of their warehouses.

Personally I would love to play the game, but the idea of buying old resin and metal models at current prices seems like a hard pass.

8 minutes ago, Flippy said:

Was Kislev ever a proper WFB army? There is your answer.

Except they had the “The Old World” article about them.
One of the only reasons i was excited about this project was to see new models for factions that didn’t make it to AoS (which we’ll get at least some of, thankfully). The big reason, though was to see some genuinely new stuff like Kislev that AoS will probably never have. If Brettonia/TK are 70% ancient models and you have no Kislev, no Cathay, no Araby, nothing truly “new”, then there’s really no reason for someone like me to play TOW. 
I’m happy for those that are hyped, but I’m not really down for more ancient models, personally. 

On an unrelated note, I’m really worried about the “day 1 pdf only factions”. In AoS, that got a lot of armies squatted. I may see my Legion of Azgorh go in the trash yet again lol

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ogregut said:

I don't think it's aimed at elderly grumbled who spout such utterings as they will always moan and will probably never buy new models as they didnt the first time around. 

I think it's aimmed at players like me who loved fantasy and want to dive back into the game but also love AoS which means Im likely to buy new stuff as I bought into a whole new game. 

I'm building a new dark elf army ready for launch but I'm already sure I'll be getting a orc and goblin army. And I want wood elves. And I've never had a proper Beastman army..... 

It is both; GW has confirmed new models for the 9 (starter?) factions on that list. They definitely want the old guard to buy new models and come back into the GW-pool instead of going to Conquest or KOW or even relying on STLs.

1 hour ago, Gitzdee said:

Am i the only one thats not hyped to see old models returning? At probably double the price they used to be. 

You're very much not. That models were good... back when they were new (and even back then they had limitations which I was aware of). I recently saw an unpainted Bretonnian Knights of the Realm and it's just shocking how bad the quality is compared to modern kits.

At this point, I wouldn't be willing to buy those models for their early 2000s prices, let alone the inevitable 2023 price they'll appear it.

I just hope the source books are good. I'm interested in this at least.

• Like 5

Another announcement! Oh man, I am so, so excited. I grew up with this game system, which is another way of saying I am now in a position where I can finally build a proper army for a faction in a setting I know and love. I’ve chosen Lizardmen for so many nostalgia reasons and I’m hyped that they will be getting a free rules booklet, what seems like Ravening Hordes style, from day one.

I’m under no illusions they’ll have any part to play in the narrative, but then I wasn’t before today’s announcement, either. I’ve always made up my own characters and stories and I’m buzzing to sink my teeth in!

I think GW is being incredibly transparent with today’s announcement about the factions they’re pushing for the return to the Old World and if it goes well, I have no doubt there will be other campaigns with a different focus and other factions under the spotlight. Of course they can’t promise every faction a full-fledged army book and new miniature line on day 1 or invest everything into what is essentially a new system without being certain of the appetite and return. They have revealed exactly which armies and factions will be supported, and told us outright which ones won’t, which I think is great.

Finally, I’m also very excited to pick up lots of the kits I missed out on back in the day because I wasn’t  in a position to buy them. So many beautiful TK kits that would have otherwise cost and arm and a leg on eBay. The sky cutter, which I’ve always admired. The boar boyz. 

If you can’t tell, I’m very excited and I hope we get more updates soon! 

• Like 10
  • LOVE IT! 2

4 hours ago, petitionercity said:

They aren't wretched, they are wonderful 😍

to be fair, some are wretched...

the old lizardmen cold one riders are an abortion to model sculpts.  no idea how those designs got through.  it would have been better IMHO to just get forgeworld or something to make more expensive but nicer sculpts if they couldnt do it. I still dont beleive it wasnt possible to make better designs in that era in plastic. they are just SOOOO bad.

SF

• Haha 1

Yeah the entire 00's as a period was incredibly inconsistent model quality wise. You could really tell GW had gained the capabilities to make models a little more three dimensional than the very static 2D posed stuff of the 90's, but a lot of the designers were obviously struggling to keep up and multipart plastic kits varied wildly in quality. For every great Juan Diaz sculpt you had some real stinkers like a lot of the Lizardmen stuff of the time or the atrocious Chaos Ogres.

• Like 1

So far TOW looks like it‘s going to implode, no pun intended. They really need more than what they‘ve shown. The HH had a tremendous amount of love and support and TOW looks like it has decent enough love but not enough support from GW itself. Frankly, I‘m not big on TOW and AoS co-existing as the success of one can be detrimental to the other and only some armies will share minis/resources but let‘s wait and see. But a couple of resin characters won‘t do it, even if the rules or the setting are great. I believe our group will stick to AoS (and I loved the old setting)… and I‘m old enough to habe played WHFB in its prime. Best case scenario is that they really reconsider and show some factions proper love but it seems unlikely unfortunately. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

I get the nostalgia but imho old removed models should stay removed. I own a few whfb era models that got removed when AoS became a thing. It sucked when i just started the hobby and half my army got deleted. Dont know how i feel about those models returning. I just hoped the old world would be a completely new thing as an homage to whfb.

2 hours ago, JerekKruger said:

You're very much not. That models were good... back when they were new (and even back then they had limitations which I was aware of). I recently saw an unpainted Bretonnian Knights of the Realm and it's just shocking how bad the quality is compared to modern kits.

At this point, I wouldn't be willing to buy those models for their early 2000s prices, let alone the inevitable 2023 price they'll appear it.

I just hope the source books are good. I'm interested in this at least.

Im not into TOW at all. And I grew up on WHFB.

To me, Im channeling my best @Clan's Cynic cynic and to me I truly believe that GW are only bringing back TOW to stop 3D printers and Ebay scalpers.

They are going to charge the same price as modern sculpts for those that are 20 years or more older. Skaven, BOC and Ogor players already have to deal with it but at least most of their ranges still look good.

Im not going to be tricked into it. 

thewayisclosed-lotr.gif

• Like 3