The Rumour Thread

11 hours ago, acr0ssth3p0nd said:

I was just talking about something similar in the Sylvaneth discord. Starting around the Slaves to Darkness tome, it feels like the tome writers suddenly got a whole suite of new design options, especially in regards to unique Heroic Actions. I wonder if the date of the 3.0 rules being "locked in" lines up with the date work got started in earnest with the earliest of those tomes?

This is one of the main reasons I detest the actual system of rules being tied to books releases. During the same edition you create two kind of environment: one when the majority of factions don't have books made for the edition and the ones that do are the strong ones, and the other when almost everyone have books made for the edition, but the new ones have lots of design trends that weren't around for the first batch and tend to be weaker. 

I would love if rater than 3 years circles with individual faction rules releases here and there we got rules for all the factions in the edition when its released. The matched play circles with the GHB already create movement inside the game and you can keep the same "hype" factor if you keep releasing new heroes/units for the different factions thought the edition, just adding their rules to what is already there.  At least this way you would keep the new rules centered around specific units rather than across a whole faction.

1 hour ago, MitGas said:

If you field Tzaangors and Kairics, you‘re not a top tier army for example. I‘d gladly take an weaker army if it meant that more units are usable instead of feeling like you field total trash just to avoid using broken stuff that isn‘t fun for the people you play against. 

I imagine the problem here is how they look at their data. If I understood correctly they look more at units usability than which units are appearing in 5-0 lists. As long as people are using those units and they aren't seen as underutilized I doubt they will pay much attention to them.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

This is one of the main reasons I detest the actual system of rules being tied to books releases. During the same edition you create two kind of environment: one when the majority of factions don't have books made for the edition and the ones that do are the strong ones, and the other when almost everyone have books made for the edition, but the new ones have lots of design trends that weren't around for the first batch and tend to be weaker. 

I would love if rater than 3 years circles with individual faction rules releases here and there we got rules for all the factions in the edition when its released. The matched play circles with the GHB already create movement inside the game and you can keep the same "hype" factor if you keep releasing new heroes/units for the different factions thought the edition, just adding their rules to what is already there.  At least this way you would keep the new rules centered around specific units rather than across a whole faction.

I imagine the problem here is how they look at their data. If I understood correctly they look more at units usability than which units are appearing in 5-0 lists. As long as people are using those units and they aren't seen as underutilized I doubt they will pay much attention to them.

The problem is, I think, that currently you have to buy your factions latest tome to be able to play, and this makes GW money. So unfortunately I don't think there's any incentive for GW to change the current system ☹️

3 minutes ago, EntMan said:

The problem is, I think, that currently you have to buy your factions latest tome to be able to play, and this makes GW money. So unfortunately I don't think there's any incentive for GW to change the current system ☹️

I will not disagree that there is little incentive to do so as tome sells, but I hard disagree that you have to buy one to play. We live in 2023, you can find every single tome rules on the internet before it is even out to be bought now a days. I've being playing since the middle of 2e and I'm yet to buy a single tome for example😆

8 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

it would be interesting to see the Azyrite/Sigmarite scholars argue about whether the text is heretical 👀 there's so many different ways that Order factions worship to begin with that I would hope to see it reflected as a refutation of the "heresy" bit. I love both of these book ideas so much.

That was my precise hope to have the book(s) be a controversial text within the diegetic setting of the Mortal Realms. Different scholars might view the work as a good scholarly source to learn about other cults and gods, but each would likely view it as fundamentally flawed when discussing their own faith. Also a certain mistrust regarding claims about the bizarre nature of the Dark Powers, or delusional cryptic references about Olde Ones from a bygone world. Having the prologue/epilogue mention that the texts exist in most academies and libraries across the realms, but making reference to how rare it is to have complete unaltered versions of the texts. 

I would keep the author anonymous so that i can include accusations of the authorship within footnotes of the text. But for my own purposes, I imagined the author to be a Kharadron Anthropologists that kept their name off the title due to the culture's mistrust of the gods, the reason that so many were accused of authoring the text is due to the true author using various individuals as sources for their text.

But above all it would permit the idea of including a natural way to expand upon the pantheon of gods while also keeping the primary gods as central like the Olympians. 

But overall, it was a silly notion I had and no ability to actually execute. 

• Like 3

Anyone think that Whitefang's hint at a new wave of destruction might coincide with the release of the Old World  starter set that's rumored to be Empire vs. Orcs & Goblins and to be releasing later this year? 

Would mean a gitmob-esque release that could be tied into AoS. 

Just a thought I had the other day. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DinoJon said:

Anyone think that Whitefang's hint at a new wave of destruction might coincide with the release of the Old World  starter set that's rumored to be Empire vs. Orcs & Goblins and to be releasing later this year? 

Could be. But @Whitefang seems to be more careful with their words. I would say if they meant for another system it may have been worded differently.

I believe/hope it means that for the next Narrative series Destruction will recieve some new minis, maybe even units to go alongside it just like Broken Realms.

I could see any of the Warclans getting a new unit but Bonesplitterz for some reason has me thinking it may be them, considering theyre almost the 'basic' Orruk of AOS.

Id love Ogors to get their new Maneaters but I would be hard pressed to not finally get Globb Glittermaw.

Hes the main, most famous and most spoken of Ogor and we havent seen him considering outside of Underworlds we have no named Ogor minis.

Globb is said to be so big and strong he wrestles Mancrusher Gargants for fun. Im thinking he would make an excellent centrepiece model for the Mawtribes and in some ways a modern Greasus Goldtooth, except that hes intimidating and non-comical.

Something like Marvels The Blob springs to mind!!

Blob.gif

54d1687bcdc5fdf4616f515ae7d55bde1c95747b_00.jpg

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 3

56 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Could be. But @Whitefang seems to be more careful with their words. I would say if they meant for another system it may have been worded differently.

I believe/hope it means that for the next Narrative series Destruction will recieve some new minis, maybe even units to go alongside it just like Broken Realms.

I could see any of the Warclans getting a new unit but Bonesplitterz for some reason has me thinking it may be them, considering theyre almost the 'basic' Orruk of AOS.

Id love Ogors to get their new Manesters but I would be hard pressed to not finally get Globb Glittermaw.

Hes the main, most famous and most spoken of Ogor and we havent seen him considering outside of Underworlds we have no named Ogor minis.

Globb is said to be so big and strong he wrestles Mancrusher Gargants for fun. Im thinking he would make an excellent centrepiece model for the Mawtribes and in some ways a modern Greasus Goldtooth, except thst hes intimidating and non-comical.

Something like Marvels The Blob springs to mind!!

Blob.gif

54d1687bcdc5fdf4616f515ae7d55bde1c95747b_00.jpg

I would love some named Ogor units to lead the tribes and also add more narrative potential to the best destruction faction. 

Personally, I want to see Jorhar as the God(beast) of Winter. A Massive Frozen Skeltal Bear with icicles protruding from the gaping hole in its chest from whence spreads the colds of winter across the mortal realms searching for its lost heart. Much like Kragnos it would be available to all destruction factions but is the patron god of the Beastclaw raiders. But this just fits my desire of destruction gaining a pantheon of gods based on natural disasters.

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, DinoJon said:

I thought the starter set was rumoured to be Bretts vs Tomb Kings or did i miss something?

Edit: I do think Gitmob could be a potential 2nd wave for Destruction. But as much as i love Gitmob models i hope Orruks, Ogors or Spiderfang get some love first. I would rather see further Gitmob models in another tome shared with Grotbag Scuttlers maybe 4th edition. Chamon or Hysh would be a great setting for those.

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

I thought the starter set was rumoured to be Bretts vs Tomb Kings or did i miss something?

Edit: I do think Gitmob could be a potential 2nd wave for Destruction. But as much as i love Gitmob models i hope Orruks, Ogors or Spiderfang get some love first. I would rather see further Gitmob models in another tome shared with Grotbag Scuttlers maybe 4th edition. Chamon or Hysh would be a great setting for those.

I feel like the actual starter is completely unknowable with all the rumours swirling around. My personal guess is the rumored armies are the ones that I think might end up getting support in the way of models and each time someone catches wind of a potential army it is suspected they will share the headline box.

So far I have heard the following candidates for the starter set:
Kislev, Cathay, Tomb Kings, Brettonians, Beatmen, Chaos, Empire, Orcs and Goblins. 

Personally I feel like the Tomb Kings and Brettonians making the most sense.

Honestly, I can imagine all of those barring 'Chaos' getting support with Chaos having mutual support with AOS. I do think it would be so dope if they used Old World and HH to release new Daemons. 

Edited by Neverchosen

With the emphasis on the War of the Three Emperors and the enormous popularity of the Empire in Total War, I wouldn't be shocked if it was an Age of Darkness boxset situation and it was just Empire vs Empire, which most people will buy for themselves to get a hefty-point army right out of the gate.

With that being said, the Empire on the tabletop back in Fantasy never had the same popularity as it does now, so maybe GW will veer away from that for such a reason. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Arzalyn said:

Well, your guess is certainly better than mine - I‘m no game designer, I don‘t even want to be, I just wanna have fun non-competitive games, so I have no clue how they look at possible changes but I think changing point costs slightly will not fix all that much in the grand scheme of things as I don‘t see how the Curseling for example was underpriced. I see problems elsewhere and it feels like they negate those problems and just offer alternative nerFs that don‘t fix the initial problem outside of making stuff so expensive people can fit less in their lists. 

you see, I don‘t need Tzeentch to be S-Tier but the thing is that Tzeentch is only top of the pops with very specific lists and spamming certain units - I‘d much rather see them nerf said super-units, maybe buff some of the totally underused and give us an army that on the whole is middle-tier. Comp players will always abuse lists, so using their tournament lists as reference doesn‘t exactly create an overall great army. Just my 2 cents but I freely admit that I‘m no master AoS player, so I might see things wrongly.

Edited by MitGas
spelling.... not more nerds - more nerfs xD
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Captaniser said:

Louise Sugden, Warhammer+ presenter and masterclass painter, has left GW and started her own youtube channel

3p0pffcm2jsa1.jpg

It would seem that she did not leave on good terms with GW, like at all

Damn, another good one gone. Let‘s hope lots of people simp for her (small joke, relax) as I‘m worried that so many hobby channels on YT start to oversaturate the market and they can‘t all support themselves with it. It‘s getting fiercely competitive at this point. Best of luck to her though, I‘m sure she will give us cool videos. It‘s sad to see how ****** the GW company still is though - I mean so many lovely folks left them due to ****** superiors and horrible pay, you‘d think GW would‘ve learned something by now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Captaniser said:

Louise Sugden, Warhammer+ presenter and masterclass painter, has left GW and started her own youtube channel

3p0pffcm2jsa1.jpg

I would like to know more simply because is this a company I'd still give my money to if I knew more of these inside details. 

Best of luck to you, girl!! You have a unique painting style fo sho and I'll check out your content.  

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing her vids, good luck to her and I'm sure she'll find a lot of success on YouTube.

GW bleeding more Warhammer TV talent, I don't really know what's going on over there but it's not filling me with confidence.

Edit: almost has 10K subscribers on her channel already, lol! Someone at GW is really dropping the ball.

Edited by Gareth 🍄
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Captaniser said:

Tbh I’ve yet to encounter ex-GW employees - retail, studio or community - with much positive to say about the company. Most are lukewarm at best, particularly when it comes to how things are run. From the community side, Peachy was fairly blunt about it (“People don’t leave jobs, they leave managers”) and Rob Symes was more sharply critical. Add to that the others who’ve left in only a few years.

Sorry to see Louise go but sounds like she’s better off, both in terms of what doing this sort of thing independently is like and in terms of leaving what sounds like a bad workplace. Moreover from the stuff she’s put on instagram, honestly? She was wasted at GW, she’s too creative to be hemmed in by their house style.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 8

12 hours ago, Chikout said:

No they don't. Books are usually completed and sent to the printers a full year before publication. This is what gw staff have said in numerous interviews.  Look at the slaves book. It was leaked six months before release and the printing process usually takes at least 6 months. Gw are probably putting the finishing touches to the 4th edition rules about now. 

GHBs are generally 6ish months before, but have a much faster release process for obvious reasons.

I remember around the release of aos 3 based on what they said the rules were written roughly 1.5 years before during the 5 minutes when hordes were the meta before the priority wars and shooting dominance, and 1e buff conga lines still existed.

Which had a pretty obvious effect on the rules with stuff like new coherency and reinforcement points being messy and targetted nerfs to big units that had fallen out of the meta anyways.

Louise Sugden, what a talent. GW management need to lift their game big time. It might sound funny but growing up reading White Dwarf made the hobbyists you read about feel like family. This was the best thing about Games Workshop. They have almost completely lost sight of this.

Edited by Greyshadow
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

I would love some named Ogor units to lead the tribes and also add more narrative potential to the best destruction faction. 

Personally, I want to see Jorhar as the God(beast) of Winter. A Massive Frozen Skeltal Bear with icicles protruding from the gaping hole in its chest from whence spreads the colds of winter across the mortal realms searching for its lost heart. Much like Kragnos it would be available to all destruction factions but is the patron god of the Beastclaw raiders. But this just fits my desire of destruction gaining a pantheon of gods based on natural disasters.

Bolded sentence needs much more attention. That is such an excellent idea. It's really hard to explain why Orcs and Ogres and Trolls are on one side but Khorne and Beastmen and Skaven are on another, as things stand. But natural/unnatural is a great way to cash that out. It would finally give us a way to differentiate Destruction from Chaos: basically, Destruction would be natural disasters, Chaos would be unnatural disasters.

Someone call GW!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

7 hours ago, MitGas said:

Damn, another good one gone. Let‘s hope lots of people simp for her (small joke, relax) as I‘m worried that so many hobby channels on YT start to oversaturate the market and they can‘t all support themselves with it. It‘s getting fiercely competitive at this point. Best of luck to her though, I‘m sure she will give us cool videos. It‘s sad to see how ****** the GW company still is though - I mean so many lovely folks left them due to ****** superiors and horrible pay, you‘d think GW would‘ve learned something by now. 

All I'll say on the matter is that there was a time I actually paid close attention to GW's painting tutorials, they used to be excellent and easy to follow for good results, but the quality and consistency of their videos has just keep plunging further and further over the years, to the point that they really might as well not exist at all.

• Like 7