The Rumour Thread

15 hours ago, Ogregut said:

I can see kits like the phoenix guard, wood elves and dwarf war machines being rebranded as old world kits along with others returning like orc boar boys. 

That's my hope anyway. 

Which, I guess would be actually a fairly clever move for them. For someone, who might not be 100% convinced if they want to play TOW, giving them, effectively, a half of a starting army is probably likely to draw them in.

But then again, if my only option is to use them in a different gaming system, then - speaking just for myself here - I don't think I'll bother. Again, the issue isn't that kits are getting retired, this is inevitable. The issue is GW not communicating those plans clearly and early enough for people to make decisions.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

100% this. I love how these feel like guys that somehow ended up on the frontlines with poorly made weapons and armour. The sword looks very basic and almost blunt. They are perfect to make the other armies feel more dangerous. These troops also seem relatively easy to paint in batches, thats a bonus.

They actually wield two classic medieval german weapons:

Rabenschnabel (Raven’s beak - the mace)

Messer (the sword. Peasants were forbidden to carry swords, so they forged a big knife - only one blade, and called it knife „Messer“)

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

6 minutes ago, Chikout said:

as we know that the new range will not be entirely human

Do we know this? I must have missed it, do you have a source on that? Would be really great if it's not just a bunch of Duardin and Aelves going out and being replaced by more humans.

I'm still really hoping for some mixed units. Especially if these are the new Freeguild, which are in lore composed of all 3 races,

Well to my knowledge Whitefang hinted at City-Ogors in the ranks.

I imagine a Ogroid-like unit and maybe if the giant bombard is really that big as centerpiece artillery then an Ogor loader too.

People have also pointed out some of the armor has a more angular design fitting of duardin. Could be that they join the ranks with the new uniforms.

8 minutes ago, Snarff said:

Do we know this? I must have missed it, do you have a source on that? Would be really great if it's not just a bunch of Duardin and Aelves going out and being replaced by more humans.

I'm still really hoping for some mixed units. Especially if these are the new Freeguild, which are in lore composed of all 3 races,

According to Vince from Warhammer weekly it was an answer to a question at the presentation. That may just mean the Ogors that Whitefang said are coming but I'd be very surprised if we didn't see some Duardin crew scattered about the place. Warcry has shown that GW understand the value of mixing the races up a bit. I'm not so confident that we wil see mixed freeguild, as GW is ready mixing genders, ages and body types in the previewed minis. We will probably have to continue doing head swaps to get some Aelves in there. 

Edited by Chikout

49 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

They actually wield two classic medieval german weapons:

Rabenschnabel (Raven’s beak - the mace)

Messer (the sword. Peasants were forbidden to carry swords, so they forged a big knife - only one blade, and called it knife „Messer“)

Didnt know that, thanks!

This makes me really hopefull for elite units wielding zweihänder. Kind of like Emelda.

image.png.7c458b94ca1a9a87aa2f103037cfbd84.png

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Didnt know that, thanks!

This makes me really hopefull for elite units wielding zweihänder. Kind of like Emelda.

I'd call that a longsword (or ****** sword if you're going with D&D's terminology, where a longsword is what HEMA people would probably call an arming sword). Zweihanders, or greatswords, are generally close to height of the user, and have handles that are longer than required to simply fit two hands. They are in some way a hybrid between a two-handed sword and a polearm, which makes sense in the context where they were used (amongst halberd and pike combat).

Not that that really matters, I just find myself compelled to explain this stuff. Sorry 😄

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

I'd call that a longsword (or ****** sword if you're going with D&D's terminology, where a longsword is what HEMA people would probably call an arming sword). Zweihanders, or greatswords, are generally close to height of the user, and have handles that are longer than required to simply fit two hands. They are in some way a hybrid between a two-handed sword and a polearm, which makes sense in the context where they were used (amongst halberd and pike combat).

Not that that really matters, I just find myself compelled to explain this stuff. Sorry 😄

I meant a similar model not the exact weapon ^^.

For the weapon i would like to see something like this. (Sorry random google dude)

image.png.f285e7991b86f2b6aadf8f08a1bdb0d0.png

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

I think the "elite unit wielding two handed weapons" is such a classic Warhammer trope that I don't think CoS are going to deviate from that. 

Personally, I have a bunch of greatswords lying around, I would like to have something new to proxy them with.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Grungnisson said:

Which, I guess would be actually a fairly clever move for them. For someone, who might not be 100% convinced if they want to play TOW, giving them, effectively, a half of a starting army is probably likely to draw them in.

But then again, if my only option is to use them in a different gaming system, then - speaking just for myself here - I don't think I'll bother. Again, the issue isn't that kits are getting retired, this is inevitable. The issue is GW not communicating those plans clearly and early enough for people to make decisions.

I agree some communication is needed here to avoid what happened last time when big chunks of units were shelved. 

Hopfully once lizards are out and the hype for cities really starts to crank up we'll get answers. 

4 hours ago, Grungnisson said:

I still think that the prospect of bringing back models for TOW that are so old that they have already been phased out of use for AoS would not make people enthusiastic about the system. If GW wants to build hype, they will have to put out new stuff. And we know they are already working on it for Brettonia and Tomb Kings.

1 minute ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I still think that the prospect of bringing back models for TOW that are so old that they have already been phased out of use for AoS would not make people enthusiastic about the system. If GW wants to build hype, they will have to put out new stuff. And we know they are already working on it for Brettonia and Tomb Kings.

Agreed. They need new models and also examples or accessories like base inserts to help use sigmar models in TOW.  Another issue is if they just re-release the old models, many ppl who want to play TOW may already have them.  

Gw is a model company first. They need ppl to buy models.  I don't see hype to buy models from 10-20 years ago.  Especially not some of the derpy looking models in some of the armies.

Sf

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

There are people, out there, still sitting on massive Bretonnia and Tomb Kings collections that have been out of play for years. We now know they will be opening armies for TOW. I think you underestimate people's hunger for new plastic here. I really don't think that if some people will be able to hit the ground running, it'll have a massive negative impact on the same of new sculpts.

But it opens up an opportunity to establish a player base on day one. The moment that book (or whatever the form the rules will be published in) comes out, some people, potentially, might be able to hit the gaming tables with their fully painted armies. I believe there might be some value in that.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

There are people, out there, still sitting on massive Bretonnia and Tomb Kings collections that have been out of play for years. We now know they will be opening armies for TOW. I think you underestimate people's hunger for new plastic here. I really don't think that if some people will be able to hit the ground running, it'll have a massive negative impact on the same of new sculpts.

But it opens up an opportunity to establish a player base on day one. The moment that book (or whatever the form the rules will be published in) comes out, some people, potentially, might be able to hit the gaming tables with their fully painted armies. I believe there might be some value in that.

I can say from personal experience that this is absolutely the case - a good friend of mine has a huuuuge tomb kings collection and would immediately start playing with them if they can still be used in TOW. He’d also buy new stuff but would appreciate if he could use at least some of his old stuff. AoS interests him less, ghe‘s got a maggotkin force but rarely joins the rest of us, prefering to play Freebooters and 40k (although he‘s very unhappy with the rules)… anyways, people like him are waiting for the day TOW hits! 👍

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Grungnisson said:

GW is on record saying they want people to be able to use their own armies, so I don't disagree with you in that regard. The problem from my perspective is more that I don't think any of the possible solutions for making all old armies usable is very attractive.

Giving all old armies new plastic would probably take years if we look at the pace of model refreshes for AoS. AoS/TOW dual use does not seem to be the direction things are headed, either. Bringing back old, previously phased-out models is not exciting. And providing only rules, but not models for old armies is pretty bad from a competitive perspective.

Of course, GW will have to do something. We'll just have to wait and see what they decide that should be. Personally, I suspect that TOW will start out with a limited number of supported armies with new plastic ranges and grow over time, rather than providing an index for every old WHFB faction from the start.

• Like 1

As someone who goes into everything over hyped, people may need to check their expectations with TOW. Itll go down a similar path such as Horus Heresy is now, Im fairly confident there will be 4 armies at MAX produced by GW with all new minis and the rest may be MTO.

Im happy for those excited for the TOW but expecting AOS level sculpts for your WHFB army isnt probably happening.

When it comes to TOW...

1678655653527.gif

• Like 10
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, KingBrodd said:

As someone who goes into everything over hyped, people may need to check their expectations with TOW. Itll go down a similar path such as Horus Heresy is now, Im fairly confident there will be 4 armies at MAX produced by GW with all new minis and the rest may be MTO.

Im happy for those excited for the TOW but expecting AOS level sculpts for your WHFB army isnt probably happening.

I'm really curious about TOW. I want to build an army and play some games, but pretty sure that the Vampire Coast will not be part of the army roster of the game... /sadface.

Maybe Chorfs... or Nord Dwarfs...? Time will tell.

13 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

GW is on record saying they want people to be able to use their own armies, so I don't disagree with you in that regard. The problem from my perspective is more that I don't think any of the possible solutions for making all old armies usable is very attractive.

Giving all old armies new plastic would probably take years if we look at the pace of model refreshes for AoS. AoS/TOW dual use does not seem to be the direction things are headed, either. Bringing back old, previously phased-out models is not exciting. And providing only rules, but not models for old armies is pretty bad from a competitive perspective.

Of course, GW will have to do something. We'll just have to wait and see what they decide that should be. Personally, I suspect that TOW will start out with a limited number of supported armies with new plastic ranges and grow over time, rather than providing an index for every old WHFB faction from the start.

Which makes sense but isn't that always true. Take seraphon/lizards. You don't need the new slann. You can still use the old one.  Got 50 cold ones? Use a base insert and don't buy the new aggradons, etc.  

There will always be people who will spend as little as possible and they need ppl to just start the game immediately but you do need brand new updates and new showpiece to really drive sales.  

Also, I can't imagine there won't be a way to use aos models in tow. It makes no business sense.  You want as many buying models as possible. So for those that don't play aos what's to make them want to buy those models?

(Not counting pure painters)

Even some other companies started to advertise their models can be used for d&d in the huge dnd resurgence with 5e.

Who cares what dragon they buy tp use as a red dragon, as long as its from your company.

Sf

I'm surprised Geedubs hasn't addressed the FEC & SE leaks. They're pretty good about that these days although they probably had their hands plenty full with everything over the last week. 

Regarding TOW I'll definitely pick up some tomb Kings as long as the new models are up to par. Won't play the game put will either proxy as OBR or just use them in opr age of fantasy. 

Edited by Vasshpit
  • Like 1

The way I would release TOW is army lists for every army avaliable day one for free so people with armies can play straight away. 

Re-release some stuff like the high elf kits which still hold up until they get new releases.

There are loads of kits I would love to get my hands on for my warhammer armies that I didn't get a chance like orc boar Boyz, white lions, flying chariot. 

I know no kit will stay on the shelves forever but it seems silly if they don't allow players to buy stuff they can sell, otherwise they leave the door open for 3rd party sellers to fill the gaps. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

The way I would release TOW is army lists for every army avaliable day one for free so people with armies can play straight away. 

Re-release some stuff like the high elf kits which still hold up until they get new releases.

There are loads of kits I would love to get my hands on for my warhammer armies that I didn't get a chance like orc boar Boyz, white lions, flying chariot. 

I know no kit will stay on the shelves forever but it seems silly if they don't allow players to buy stuff they can sell, otherwise they leave the door open for 3rd party sellers to fill the gaps. 

This was my idea to. I think some of the later kits that came out have a good design and can be moved over without any issues. The likes of the Wanderers range, the retired High Elf kits that are new (Phoenix Guard, White Lions, Dragon Princes) Orc Boar Boyz and so on have a place coming back. I can even see those ones having some longevity in TOW system. All GW would need to produce for those armies are new basic troops like spears, bows and a cavalry unit. It frees up design time and production for any armies that will be coming back. 

To complete the Wood Elf army it would need 1 dual box of archers/scouts and 1 box of bow cavalry. For the high elves a dual box of bows/spears, a dual box for Silverhelms/reavers, and swordmasters. 

And while some of these units/models are old to some people, for others these will be new because they haven't had or seen them before. 

Edited by Lavieth
  • Like 1