The Rumour Thread

Speaking just for myself, the difference is what they do to my levels of anticipation. I love rumours specifically because they're unconfirmed. This makes them tantalising. 'Is it true? What if only part of it is?', etc. They help build the excitement.

Leaks are the opposite. If I know what's in a battletome, for example, then where's the excitement for the actual book? Part of the fun, again - for me, of new releases is the grand unveil. The surprise. Even as a kid, I have never ever tried to sniff out my Christmas presents in the house before Christmas. Why on earth would I ruin the unwrapping moment for myself?

So that's what I'm here for - rumours. Wild speculations. Preposterous projections. Letting the imagination loose on what _might_ be true. But without fully knowing ;)

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

Leaks are the opposite. If I know what's in a battletome, for example, then where's the excitement for the actual book? Part of the fun, again - for me, of new releases is the grand unveil.

While I do undestand the feeling, I would be more ready to share it if we were talking of "grand unveils" or even "new releases". It's been quite a while that we haven't had one of those cool animation with voiceovers ("the bad moon spoke to me once" and the like) or anything more than pictures of miniatures and snippets of rules really. Coupled with the fact that new releases have been quite limited recently -ironically the larger one, Sylvaneth, went without leaks- my personal feeling is that not much is lost of the magic.

So when I have to balance this limited negative to the social good of allowing customers to make better informed choices, I tend to favour the latter, at least as things stand.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

So when I have to balance this limited negative to the social good of allowing customers to make better informed choices, I tend to favour the latter, at least as things stand.

I would, however, point out that we have access to full and detailed battletome reviews at the very point those books go on pre-order, so there's nothing stopping you from being able to make an incredibly informed choice before a book is out.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

I would, however, point out that we have access to full and detailed battletome reviews at the very point those books go on pre-order, so there's nothing stopping you from being able to make an incredibly informed choice before a book is out.

eh, I am not referring to the decision of buying the book -not really a choice if you play a given army. I am referring to building lists, planning your miniature purchases and then building and painting them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grungnisson said:

Speaking just for myself, the difference is what they do to my levels of anticipation. I love rumours specifically because they're unconfirmed. This makes them tantalising. 'Is it true? What if only part of it is?', etc. They help build the excitement.

Leaks are the opposite. If I know what's in a battletome, for example, then where's the excitement for the actual book? Part of the fun, again - for me, of new releases is the grand unveil. The surprise. Even as a kid, I have never ever tried to sniff out my Christmas presents in the house before Christmas. Why on earth would I ruin the unwrapping moment for myself?

So that's what I'm here for - rumours. Wild speculations. Preposterous projections. Letting the imagination loose on what _might_ be true. But without fully knowing ;)

Where do you draw the line? Is any reliable information you get before you have the book in your hand classed as a leak?

What about youtubers going through the book on preorder day? Are they leaking? If not, then what's the difference between that and getting some photos of warscrolls earlier in the week? 

Personally, I'd rather know earlier. 

Edited by Jagged Red Lines
  • Like 1

I'd rather know earlier . Specially if purchases are gonna be needed. I'd rather know a profile is gonna be improved and have the chance to pick up a box than wait until suddenly every meta chaser buys out 5 and leaves nothing on the shelves 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

Where do you draw the line? Is any reliable information you get before you have the book in your hand classed as a leak?

What about youtubers going through the book on preorder day? Are they leaking? If not, then what's the difference between that and getting some photos of warscrolls earlier in the week? 

I guess the difference is that we all know Ash gets his review copy officially from GW and he has the book in front of him right there, in the video ;)

And I appreciate that we all have different approaches, but then again, you only need to look back in this thread to see how many people are disappointed 'there's nothing to wait for, for AoS this year'.

Now, imagine all those StoD leaks have not happened and GD had not had to react with a hastened reveal... Imagine that, at this point in the year, we just found out about the book coming out this year, but we'd not seen any of the new sculpts yet.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Still-young said:

That would be a very early announcement for 10th. Especially when there’s codexes for 9th not out or announced yet. 

it does feel early, but we all know its coming summer 2023, and its warhammer 40ks 35th anniversary, plus this reveal show is JUST 40k stuff so there has to be something big to fill the time.

5 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

it does feel early, but we all know its coming summer 2023, and its warhammer 40ks 35th anniversary, plus this reveal show is JUST 40k stuff so there has to be something big to fill the time.

There’s a difference between us all who are plugged into the rumours and the general release pattern having a pretty good idea that it’s coming next July and them announcing to everybody ‘hey you know that Imperial Guard and World Eaters codex that we’ve not officially announced yet? You’ll get 6 months use out of it. Enjoy!’ If anything, I could see some campaign books like Gathering Storm being shown to lead up to a new edition. 

• Like 1

I'm all for leaks. If games workshop wanted me to respect their desire to "surprise us" then they shouldn't have dropped all of high elves (including reboxed kits) into last chance to buy over a weekend with no warning and then said absolutely nothing about it after the fact.

Or invalidated all of the gathering storm books months after they were released with a new edition, but hey at least then they admitted fault and offered refunds for any book that came out in a period of time that only covered the space marine one.

Or put out mercenary detachments and articles encouraging the purchase of freeguild artillery right before dropping them from the game.

People are spending a lot of money on their product and the way they encourage people to buy invalid products seemingly intentionally invalidates any desire I have to support the "hype of mystery!"

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

More rumors/ leaks/ predictions/ whatever:

Commanders deck for AoS.

And new Community info for Megas:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/10/07/killer-rampages-and-primordial-prayers-abound-in-the-sons-of-behemat-battletome/

Beware of Kung-Fu Mega-Gargant, throwing away monsters from their objectives

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Commanders deck for AoS.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/10/07/killer-rampages-and-primordial-prayers-abound-in-the-sons-of-behemat-battletome/

I think you mean WWE super slam gargants!!

“It’s King Brodd!!! With a steel chair!!!!”

” He’s throwing him like a ragdoll!!!”

” Invisible John Cena noises “

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Commanders deck for AoS.

So apparently Mega-Gargants are a fan of WWE……. Does this mean there’s a mega-gargant called “The Mountain?” 

9 minutes ago, willange said:

I think you mean WWE super slam gargants!!

“It’s King Brodd!!! With a steel chair!!!!”

” He’s throwing him like a ragdoll!!!”

” Invisible John Cena noises “

Honestly if someone doesn’t customize pro wrestler outfits and accessories on their gargants im gonna lose what little faith in humanity I have left

• Haha 6

Shout out to Liam from Tamworth on Radio 2 today this afternoon. Not sure if you frequent on here but thought it deserved a mention you said on live radio to all of Britain you were a Thousand Sons collector ! 

OJ Borg the presenter was apparently into Games workshop as well at some  point but I'm not sure if he knew who the thousand sons were after asking what army you collect lol

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, CDM said:

Shout out to Liam from Tamworth on Radio 2 today this afternoon. Not sure if you frequent on here but thought it deserved a mention you said on live radio to all of Britain you were a Thousand Sons collector ! 

OJ Borg the presenter was apparently into Games workshop as well at some  point but I'm not sure if he knew who the thousand sons were after asking what army you collect lol

Thousand Sons is the best choice in 40k. A man of impeccable taste! 👌 

• Like 3

I don't understand the point of those monstrous rampages. As SoB, you're never going to be the one multi-charging anything, so why waste your action to make you and a monster fight last, if someone happens to run their monster into combat with two of your units? The wrestling move, while cool in theory, also seems just flat worse. What are the odds you'll be able to throw a monster off an objective into the perfect spot where they can't just pile back onto it? And D3 mortals doesn't make up for the -1 to hit.

I'm no professional SoB player, but the fact that the rampages have significant downsides makes me think you'd never choose to use them over the generic ones. Maybe I'm missing something.