The Rumour Thread

Given all of the global issues with production and shipping, it wouldn't surprise me if GW shifted to a 40k-heavy strategy for 2022 in order to keep revenue on track. Businesses across the board have had to adapt, and they've had to lean hard on whatever's most reliable/profitable. For GW that's 40k.

That's my guess, anyway, and my hope. I think they realize the market for AoS can still grow in big ways, but they don't have the resources to focus on multiple things. 

• Like 3

Certainly last year was pretty good for AoS over all, the broken realms release cycle was jam packed and it was tricky to keep up. The 40k folks were very concerned that they were falling behind at that time ( or rather bemused, as many of them still seem to not really recognise that AoS has a following at all.)

To clarify I'm not concerned that AoS is failing or anything like that. All indications are that it's more popular than its ever been before, and substantially more successful than later day wfb. The issue is that however popular aoS may be, 40k is still bigger overall. 

I thus think they could conclude that their massive reboot of fantasy has been successful at this point, but with resources being strained they no longer need to market it on the same level as their heavy hitter. 

They may be happy to just keep it going for a while amd then pick up the pace when things are easier or if sales do drop off.

But who knows really?

• Like 2

Since this is more of a general discussion thread most of the time:

I've been playing A LOT of TTS AoS lately. It has drained the fun out of the game for me personally. The Miniatures are mostly irrelevant, games take way longer and it has a much bigger focus on the game mechanics since all of the rest fades into the background. At this point it became painfully aware to me that the AoS game mechanics for most factions and the core rules simply aren't fun or good.

In contrast: When playing with real miniatures the game mechanics are one of many parts of the whole package, so they don't feel as dominant.

This is just my experience. How do you feel about TTS games? Did you have(ish) same experiences or adifferent one all together?

Edited by JackStreicher

15 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I've been playing A LOT of TTS AoS lately. It has drained the fun out of the game for me personally. The Miniatures are mostly irrelevant, games take way longer and it has a much bigger focus on the game mechanics since all of the rest fades into the background. At this point it became painfully aware to me that the AoS game mechanics for most factions and the core rules simply aren't fun or good.

In contrast: When playing with real miniatures the game mechanics are one of many parts of the whole package, so they don't feel as dominant.

This is just my experience. How do you feel about TTS games? Did you have(ish) same experiences or adifferent one all together?

One of the reasons for getting into this hobby was to move away from a black mirror for once and actually make something and be creative. TTS doesnt do this for me and will never replace anything in this hobby for me. I've played around with TTS a bit when lockdown was a thing playing boardgames with friends a few times. While its a funny gimmick it wont replace the real deal for me. Rather play other good multiplayer games on my laptop. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

I really enjoyed TTS during lockdowns. It has allowed me to play with people from different gaming communities in the world, and has been great to improve my game -I still use it a lot to practice deployments on my own before a tournament. I agree it's a completely different beast, but I always played lists which I was building and painting in the meantime, so in a way I felt like I was painting the models I was using. That being said, if TTS was the only part of the hobby, I would have quit immediately. With my club accessible again and tournaments restarting, I would never choose a game on TTS over a game IRL.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

It's great that TTS and virtual tabletops for RPGs exist and are becoming more accessible, but for me they can't hold a candle to actual face-to-face play in a real physical space. They are sort of like the instant coffee equivalent of those games for me: Convenient and often even quite nice, but they will probably not be able to replace the real thing if you love it for it's unique complexity. I know that some people just want some kind of caffeinated, warm, brown liquid in the morning, though. And there is nothing wrong with that, either.

I really love building up my armies and customizing my models to make them uniquely my own. I love the spectable of a good looking game table. I love the interaction with other players who are physically in the same space as me. TTS and similar products just don't give me those things.

• Like 1

The last time I tried TTS for AoS, when I tried to move a unit of 40 marauders, the unit exploded. It felt like I was fighting a war on two fronts - one with the opponent and one with the physics engine. That just wasn't enjoyable for me. 

I'm happy it works for some people, but I don't think I'll ever try it again. Though I appreciate I'm lucky to have a decent number of friends who play AoS so I can play in person easily. 

• Like 1

Not having any issue at all. TTS helps to (partially) know the behaviour of some units on the table, test some lists and play with friends that are far away.

I prefer to play IRL with friends but that's another thing.

• Like 1

i'm having fun in TTS because i have the minis i ordered in December prior to the Nurgle BT release ... TTS beats GW shitttty logistic and you can't say anything against that ^^

But i'm pretty sure TTS doesn't help people clearing their pile of shame

Edited by Perturbato

16 minutes ago, Enoby said:

The last time I tried TTS for AoS, when I tried to move a unit of 40 marauders, the unit exploded. It felt like I was fighting a war on two fronts - one with the opponent and one with the physics engine.

This is a big thing for me, too. There are certain things that are just trivially easy at a real table but become exercises in frustration when using a virtual tabletop. Although, to be fair, the same is true the other way around. I guess I just prefer easily being able to communicate, move around and sketch out things (especially in the context of RPGs) over the convenience benefits from virtual tabletops.

• Like 1

I think there's some kind of mistake in the article, since I have absolutely no idea how to even hit with that fire. Article is missing some key information there or I'm a bad reader. Nevertheless, I like Lofnir changes. But I would've wanted to see a bit more info about magmadroths.

I believe it's not meant to be "look below" for the entire profile. My guess is that it's a shooting profile and under attacks it's supposed to say "look below", then it would make sense, they just edited the article badly.

Edit: Almost missed the fact that Lofnir gets runesons on magmadroth as battleline, that's very nice.

Edited by angrycontra
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, angrycontra said:

I think there's some kind of mistake in the article, since I have absolutely no idea how to even hit with that fire. Article is missing some key information there or I'm a bad reader. Nevertheless, I like Lofnir changes. But I would've wanted to see a bit more info about magmadroths.

I believe it's not meant to be "look below" for the entire profile. My guess is that it's a shooting profile and under attacks it's supposed to say "look below", then it would make sense, they just edited the article badly.

Edit: Almost missed the fact that Lofnir gets runesons on magmadroth as battleline, that's very nice.

I think you are right. They showed how the Roaring Fyrestream and I don't even know how I should play it

18 minutes ago, angrycontra said:

I guess we know that it gets up to 10 attacks and you can buff its rend. At 12" range on a 12" move that at least shows some promise.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, angrycontra said:

Roaring Fyrestream has always been a weirdly convoluted rule. It used to be "roll this number of dice, if less than the number of models in the unit, do d3/d6 MWs"

Now it's an attack, and seemingly hits on a 2+ degrading, but it has rend, so can't just be MWs...they definitely didn't provide the full rule there.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

We’re going to see a lot of Lofnir lists aren’t we? Ah well, the legions of LONG LOST NEHEKHARA! Welcome these giant monsters and their hairy masters.

We've only seen the one lodge, but knowing how weak most 3E subfactions are they're definitely an early contender, especially if Magmadroths end up buffed, unlike literally every other Fyreslayer battleline unit and their pile of nerfs.

Edited by madmac