The Rumour Thread

@bloodmaster

the turtle kit has 4 builds apparently, basically like the Arachnarok (but probably with more than 1 viable option). So it might have a short range option (like the snake dinosaur) and a long range (like the laser dinosaur), and a magic build (like shaman on arachnarok), and something else. 

I think there's a possibility of two 'thrall' infantry boxes, one with bows and one with swords. The legs seem quite different, the CC dudes have static poses while the archers are sprinting and leaping.

This image also shows one thrall with a massive sickle while the others have swords, might be a goreglaive/grandhammer-style 'one per unit' weapon.

14 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

@bloodmaster

the turtle kit has 4 builds apparently, basically like the Arachnarok (but probably with more than 1 viable option). So it might have a short range option (like the snake dinosaur) and a long range (like the laser dinosaur), and a magic build (like shaman on arachnarok), and something else. 

We have this one

AdepticonPreview-Mar22-Deepkin2jvdc.jpg

and this one, the only one prsent in the videos

AdepticonPreview-Mar22-Deepkin4kvcdjgs.j

Both versions are pritty much the same, execpt slight variations in poses of the gunners and headoptions. There is nothing as signigicant as with the  mentioned models, that might suggest more then one build. A distinction might be the langth of the bolts, but that would be pretty weak by GW. Don't get me wrong, I would appreciate more versions, but so far I can't see evidence for those.

12 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

I think there's a possibility of two 'thrall' infantry boxes, one with bows and one with swords. The legs seem quite different, the CC dudes have static poses while the archers are sprinting and leaping.

This image also shows one thrall with a massive sickle while the others have swords, might be a goreglaive/grandhammer-style 'one per unit' weapon.

Ok, your right, the shinguards don't match either. So probably two 'thrall' versions.

The two different versions we can see are very similar. I wonder if there's a version without the drummer at all, making the turtle a platform for maybe a magic user or a hero? Maybe even without the artillery?

Edit: 

I hear that the two versions of the melee guys are called thralls (heavy and light), whereas the bows are known by something else. Perhaps they are a dual kit too, which we just haven't seen a bit like the khinerai and melusai?

Edited by syph0n

Love the deepkin models, but not a fan of ocean themed stuff in general so I'm passing.

That purple moon thing....Really?  looks like a death form of a doggy chew toy.   Very disappointing model after seeing the deepkin.  

Looking forward to hearing more about the card game

3 minutes ago, chord said:

That purple moon thing....Really?  looks like a death form of a doggy chew toy.   Very disappointing model after seeing the deepkin.  

My gut tells me that each lore of magic will get a model for an iconic spell. The spell will summon a physical thing that the player controls, e.g. the purple death moon moves 6'' a turn and zaps units within 3'' or whatever until killed. 

Just like summoning a balewind, the summoned thing has rules for how it interacts with stuff around it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

My gut tells me that each lore of magic will get a model for an iconic spell. The spell will summon a physical thing that the player controls, e.g. the purple death moon moves 6'' a turn and zaps units within 3'' or whatever until killed. 

Just like summoning a balewind, the summoned thing has rules for how it interacts with stuff around it. 

Hmm...invest in Knight Heraldor's...

• Like 1

You know, I really can not see how the Mistweaver could fit with the Idoneth range shown so far.

There are a lot of superficial similarities, but once you go into the details, the style is very different for each bit. Like they have the same curve to the armor bits, but the decoration on the armor does not match at all. Both have blank faceplates, but again, very differently decorated. None of the idoneth feature half moon icons or the style of the Sais wrapped top. Both Idoneth and the Mistweaver feature skirts, but on Idoneth they are very classical with a wave decoration, the Sais looks more like a greatcoat bottom with no extra decoration. None of the Idoneth have something like the Mistweavers weird bonespur grows. All Idoneth spellcasters seem to have thick fancy full body robes, unlike the Sai. And last but not least, the Mistweaver Sai has her floaty hair and the only Idoneth shown with any hair at all is the supposed Avatar of Mathlann.

Bottom line, I think we can put all similarities down to aelfyness (all similarities have featured on Old World Elves or 40k Eldar before) and say they are not on the same team, suggesting the Mistweaver and Shard where indeed Malerions Shadowkin all along.

What really impresses me with the Idoneth is how these minis tell a story about their organization, culture and playstyle.

At a glance, we can tell that the beastriders (and one hero on foot) shown seem to belong to a warrior caste. they look far more barbaric and dark than the others and seem to have two visual precedessors from GW darkest elven ranges, the Dark Elder reavers (on those jetbikes) and Dark Elf Beastmasters. They are almost split between those two inspirations in accordance with what they are more likely to play like. The Eel and shark rider look like reavers and are likely to play like fantasy jetbikes. The turtle looks like the behemoth sucessor of the scourgerunner/drakespawn chariot, with its less armoured crew and bolt thrower/harpoon gunners.

The monsters actually do not look all that eldritch and mutated, which makes sense when you consider how clean the Avatar of Mathlann looks. The Mathlann elements seem to be the less corrupted elements of the Idoneth, so it makes sense that the seabeasts, creatures of Mathlann, would actually look less wicked than their riders.

The warriors are a stark contrast to the Avatar and three caster heroes. The Avatar looks like a Lothern Seaguard in overdrive, with the two headdress wearing heroes sharing far more with him than with the rest of the range, suggesting to me they will be priests of Mathlann. These two and the caster type are set appart by their thick more high elven robes. Interestingly, the third caster type without headdress seems to sort of bridge the gap between the other two "casters" and the warriors, with his exposed bald head and a bit more vicious look. I suspect he will also bridge the gap in the lore.

Last there are the thralls. What little lore we have on the Idoneth suggests to me that there are propably very few Idoneth, they might need the thralls (or at least tell so themselves) to sustain themselves. That so far, all "proper Idoneth" shown are either heroes or mounted on beasts would support this notion, suggesting a very small amount of actual Idoneth would make a lot of points, requiring the use of thralls if you want to put numbers on the table. However, we have yet to see the entire range and the War of Sigmar leaker described a sort hoplites, so we will have to see how those would fit into that idea. What is interesting about the thralls is that they actually look, apart from the bald eyless heads and vicious blades very basically elven in their styling, closer to wanderers than anything else I would say.

While I truly am impressed with the range, there are some elements suited to holding me back from going all in collecting them.

For starters, my favorites are the robed two heroes with the fancy headdresses. This is a minus, as I find the warriors to barbaric, crude and overall Dark Eldar like for what I would want from a faction like this.

It may sound like a small thing, but that everyone (but the Avatar) is bald is a bit of a dealbreaker to me. I just do not like it, especially with how outplayed it is in GW IPs. It is so noticable that I suspect there is a very strong lore justification for it (I suspect they do not grow hair at all), so no rectifying it personally without needing a major lore justification.

Also, for all my love of Deep Sea creatures and even though they are all in all well executed, their beasties do not look  weird, monstrous and eldritch enough for me. I would have loved a stark contrast between sleek and cultivated aelven riders on mishappen mounts. As is, both are pretty close together, with the aelves often being a bit "darker" than their mounts.

I also dislike flying stands and would have favored a basing integrated solution like most newer flying kits (Disks of Tzeentch, Khinerai, Persecuters) have.

Most of these I could rectifiy with kitbashing and sculpting, but since I intended to stay clear of order and destruction, they suffice holding me back from Idoneth.

I think for me personally, I can see their use being mostly in kitbashing and as conversion base, particularly for Slaaneshi models. After a head and equipment swap the thrally really should not need much work to make Slaaneshi Marauders, while  the sea unicorn rider I see as a great basis for a lord on daemonic mount (either the StD or the hosts one). Many of the heads and weapons and other bits last would work great for Chaos Warriors and Knights. Meanwhile many of the fishy pets and decorations would work very well for Tzeentch conversions.

Deepkin not pulling me in allows me to hold out for new Death, which we finally know is coming´. I sure hope the bits shown belong to something fancier and more innovative than a rehashed Black Coach (a completely new kit inspired by the black coach would be an entirely different story). While the glances offered do suggest something Malignant, I think it is important to note that all rumors on Nighthaunt so far are based on speculation and not leakers and Nighthaunt are not the only force in Death to feature ghostly elements (Deathmages, Deathlord and Soulblight so far also do). Add to that GW stating that GHB 2017 supported factions will not see releases anytime soon, and I think we should treat "Nighthaunt are incoming" with a heavy dose of salt.

Personally, I hope we will get a breath of new (un)life for Death, I hope through an entirely new faction that challenges what we see Undeath like as was done for elves and dwarfes with Idoneth and Kharadron, or by expanding an existing range into entirely new directions like Sylvaneth or DoK did. In fact, I still hope we get both this year, but I am braced for a single well executed, yet essentially more of the same release like Maggotkin.

Last I really like the goofy weird purple sun and suggestion for a big magic expansion. The magic of Warhammer was always very weird and unpredictable in the lore and in AoS it is magnified, I would love for that to be more accentuated in the lore and gameplay.

9 minutes ago, Sennyo said:

have they actally said the eels and the sharks are different box kit as it look to me as if they are the same kit with a head and fin swap to change the mounts

Well, the eels have one rider and the sharks have two, that is pretty big difference and also suggests the sharks are bigger.

Edited by Rogue Explorator
  • Thanks 1

I feel bad for the Destruction players who got no nods. Maybe they'l do a Battletome to tie into the Orks Codex?  

Deepkin are visually stunning, one of the best examples of the possibilities of Age of Sigmar.  

More Death is always good, even if it's a spooky purple ball that reminds me of a certain Pokemon. 

Please no Stormcast Wizards, they honestly don't need magic when they are the best supported faction and have stuff to counter wizards.

Edited by Ar-Pharazôn
Mispell

13 minutes ago, Sennyo said:

have they actally said the eels and the sharks are different box kit as it look to me as if they are the same kit with a head and fin swap to change the mounts

If you look at this pic you can see that the shark is quite a bit fatter and on a different base. It is definitely a different kit.1F693996-46FC-4810-A0B2-18FFD57B9CDE.png.0e10c1e9148a368002dadc783aabb7cc.png

Edited by Chikout
  • Like 1

As I've expressed my interest in the Idoneth Deepkin here and on Twitter, I thought I would posts my thoughts about them here.

My first thoughts are a combination of joy and disappointment. I'll explain my disappointment first. I was hoping to see something very dark and monsterlike with the Deepkin, with them being twisted Aelves. I was hoping we would see a cool Cthulhu Bio Mecha Suited Aelf and they need the suits due to them being a withered twisted thing. The leaders and 'heros' of this race would be more traditional Aelf looking. They would all survive on the life essence of different creatures with the suited Aelves having the least and needing their suits to support them. They of course would hate being in such suits, even though they would have immense power they would not be Aelves but the leaders would have even more power but run the danger of withering away if they used too much (would take a mortal wound if pushed themselves too far).

But pushing my ideas to one side, I do actually like the range. It's so different to what Games Workshop have previously done and there seems to be so many really cool models. I of course love the fact that there seems to be a two cast system as the Aelves with bows or swords seem to be blind and have a look to the hero models, and this suggests that they are copies or artificial or even they are withering away... :D .  The hero models look amazing and very dynamic and so do the giant turtles. I can't wait to see the models and unless they have a silly price, these will be my next army. I can not wait to see the coverage for the Deepkin and eagerly await my White Dwarf for more information. 

17 minutes ago, Ar-Pharazôn said:

I feel bad for the Destruction players who got no nods. Maybe they'l do a Battletome to tie into the Orks Codex?  

I suspect we will see a 'Legions of' type book for Destruction as it will allow them to have a tidy up of the range and it's a quick win for keeping people happy.

• Like 2

out of the two unloved kids in terms of alliances, up until Legions of Nagash, death got only FEC, while Destro had 3 books along the way.

Still would wish that players of those two alliances get some new shiny toys as they are as unsatisfied as a Slaanesh can be these days ;)

Fingers crossed for some good stuff for you all. Now, where is my money for this new turtle and what will be its price?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

What really impresses me with the Idoneth is how these minis tell a story about their organization, culture and playstyle.

At a glance, we can tell that the beastriders (and one hero on foot) shown seem to belong to a warrior caste. they look far more barbaric and dark than the others and seem to have two visual precedessors from GW darkest elven ranges, the Dark Elder reavers (on those jetbikes) and Dark Elf Beastmasters. They are almost split between those two inspirations in accordance with what they are more likely to play like. The Eel and shark rider look like reavers and are likely to play like fantasy jetbikes. The turtle looks like the behemoth sucessor of the scourgerunner/drakespawn chariot, with its less armoured crew and bolt thrower/harpoon gunners.

The monsters actually do not look all that eldritch and mutated, which makes sense when you consider how clean the Avatar of Mathlann looks. The Mathlann elements seem to be the less corrupted elements of the Idoneth, so it makes sense that the seabeasts, creatures of Mathlann, would actually look less wicked than their riders.

The warriors are a stark contrast to the Avatar and three caster heroes. The Avatar looks like a Lothern Seaguard in overdrive, with the two headdress wearing heroes sharing far more with him than with the rest of the range, suggesting to me they will be priests of Mathlann. These two and the caster type are set appart by their thick more high elven robes. Interestingly, the third caster type without headdress seems to sort of bridge the gap between the other two "casters" and the warriors, with his exposed bald head and a bit more vicious look. I suspect he will also bridge the gap in the lore.

Last there are the thralls. What little lore we have on the Idoneth suggests to me that there are propably very few Idoneth, they might need the thralls (or at least tell so themselves) to sustain themselves. That so far, all "proper Idoneth" shown are either heroes or mounted on beasts would support this notion, suggesting a very small amount of actual Idoneth would make a lot of points, requiring the use of thralls if you want to put numbers on the table. However, we have yet to see the entire range and the War of Sigmar leaker described a sort hoplites, so we will have to see how those would fit into that idea. What is interesting about the thralls is that they actually look, apart from the bald eyless heads and vicious blades very basically elven in their styling, closer to wanderers than anything else I would say.

Quality post! I'm excited to see how the tome is. I'm torn between Death, BCR and Idoneth now. I have the BCR and Death tomes so I'll have to hold off on models till I can get the Idoneth one. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DantePQ said:

I will just convert their heads to have masks/helmets. Don't like cavalery and turtle - rest is fantastic. And heroes are freaking Awesome crazy. 

I am actually pretty tempted by this army despite my grand distaste for elves in just about every setting ever created.  But for me, I am really thinking of going all-in on the no eyes feature and removing the sockets entirely with putty.  Make them look a bit more like dolphins or something.

7 hours ago, Barkanaut said:

Not going to lie my group has been pretty bored if 40k. 8th promised to be new and amazing and it’s been endless power armor and now an imperial knight wooow.However AoS is impressing many and gaining traction. Also the new 40k lore is basically a repeat of 30k but less interesting. Chatter around the net many think  AoS stole the show barring sisters. If it wasn’t for sob propping it up would have been a loss for 40k. 

There is a real chance GW coy,d mismanage 40k and at the same tim3 manage AoS so well we see AoS being the number one game and setting. 4 armies in one year is huge if d4ath comes out with one as rumoured. AoS releases if they keep accelerating will equal 40k in terms of support in a year. 

My problem as someone who did not care for the last few editions of 40k and recently brought my armies out of retirement for the new edition is that every casual game I play at the house (95% of my games anymore) are exactly the same and have a feeling of disappointment.  I also find that 40k does not manage the Spectacle of the game as well as Age of Sigmar.  40k still has the Lords of War level of characters that in some cases can dominate a game if the opponent is not prepared for one.  Huge models in Age of Sigmar, even when they are characters like Nagash, can be dealt with or are not totally pointless to play against with a lot of casual built armies.  Age of Sigmar handles the spectacle aspect of a wargame better in my opinion.

As for the releases for 40k - I might be interested when they get back around to Orks.   But my god, are they going to be the last one out of the pipe at this point?  If so then they better drop some cool models into the range.  It will be one of my biggest disappointments in playing 40k since the late 80s to be the last in line for a codex in 8th edition and have it just be one of the converted Index books without even any old models updated with new sculpts.

6 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

I think this may well be the beginning of the end for compendium armies.  What I would say is that the Legends description says "While not intended for matched play", suggesting they'll still receive points.

I have had the feeling that the compendium forces were eventually going to be phased out in some way.  Either just dropped at some point (I hope not) or reworked into a whole new direction (probably with a new faction name) and then the compendium force removed as some of the models would be absorbed into something else in some capacity (and probably resculpted into something else - but allow you to use your old things).

But this announcement sounds like a way for them to just outright retire them.

2 hours ago, Sheriff said:

MUST HAVE FOOT/FISTS OF GORK!!!

ALSO MUST HAVE CURSE OF THE BADMOON!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Yokai said:

I am shocked - shocked, I say - that no one has mentioned the return of Lokhir Fellheart as a "made to order" model:

AdepticonPreview-Mar22-MTO11gcslg-500x37

Honestly I am shocked that Lokhir Fellheart's model got discontinued. It's really awesome. 

• Like 3