The Rumour Thread

51 minutes ago, Overread said:
1 hour ago, Riavan said:

It seems shadespire warbands are designed not to be very strong in normal aos tho.

Which sort of makes sense really

Curious to hear your thoughts on what the rationale for that is?

Edited by wwwwww

1 hour ago, Riavan said:

It seems shadespire warbands are designed not to be very strong in normal aos tho.

They can have their uses. I have both of the Khorne ones, and they have some unique features and they're cheap. Magore's Fiends are a compact unit (perfect for the new "wholly within" standard for buffs) with 2 rending weapons, gorefists, and a flesh-hound that lets them reroll charges.

Fjul-Grimmnir is actually kinda decent now.  He gets an upgraded version of the Vostarg command ability, and the Chosen Axes aren't quite so much of a non-factor, now that they all have 2 wounds and aren't losing any abilities for being a small unit.

Most of the Nightvault warbands are OK in AoS. They are essentially leaders plus bodyguards with each leader having a decent ability or two. 

It will be very interesting to see the warscroll for the Ko warband. It might give us some hints about the direction the next Ko book is going. 

Zarbag is actually quite the value for Gitmobs..160 pts gets another caster hero that has a once per game 2+ to cast(handy for early gogs or something along those lines) aslo allowing another spell choice from the spell lore.Then 8 other grots,one of which is a fanatic,one all important netter and 2 cave squigs with their rending maw attacks.

7 hours ago, wwwwww said:

Curious to hear your thoughts on what the rationale for that is?

Partly because it helps make them not be near a "required purchase" for a good/strong army. And partly because Shadspire is a side product line. Those warbands could be lost if GW closes down shadspire as a side game and decides to either remove it totally or do something different. As such those models might well be removed from sale.

It's much easier to do that if they had nice rules but were not game changers and thus they can more easily just move into being alternate sculpts for leaders by those who already own them; and those who don't own them before they go out of production are not left feeling like they've missed a powerful trick in not having the chance to buy them. 

Of course one would expect GW not to remove them if they closed shadspire and to just keep the moulds casting up models for AoS. 

I think a subtle third reason is that whilst they are named heroes they are not "heroes" of the primary lore and setting as such. Essentially they are minor heroes (by and large, some might be bigger names within specific armies). That said this status is subject to change and they could rise up to become major story players.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Overread said:

Partly because it helps make them not be near a "required purchase" for a good/strong army. And partly because Shadspire is a side product line. Those warbands could be lost if GW closes down shadspire as a side game and decides to either remove it totally or do something different. As such those models might well be removed from sale.

It's much easier to do that if they had nice rules but were not game changers and thus they can more easily just move into being alternate sculpts for leaders by those who already own them; and those who don't own them before they go out of production are not left feeling like they've missed a powerful trick in not having the chance to buy them. 

Of course one would expect GW not to remove them if they closed shadspire and to just keep the moulds casting up models for AoS. 

I think a subtle third reason is that whilst they are named heroes they are not "heroes" of the primary lore and setting as such. Essentially they are minor heroes (by and large, some might be bigger names within specific armies). That said this status is subject to change and they could rise up to become major story players.

To add to that, there is the factor that most Shadespire models do not need bespoke rules to be fielded at all, Mologs warband being the major exception but can just as well be fielded as alternative sculpt for existing characters or be mixed in with regular units.

Furthermore, as unique units, they don't even have any lore rationale for being on the battlefields of the Mortal Realms, canonically being stuck in Shadespire for good.

Last, they are just not created with use in the main line in mind, let alone matched play. This is actually the great strength of the warbands from a miniature design perspective, as it allows GW to release miniatures that represent their factions from a different perspective without care for the usual constraints.

Using them to stuff holes in a factions current lineup would run cross to their other purposes and could easily result in forced nonsentical rules or even worse, take over as guiding principle of their design, all the while never measuring up to a proper update for a faction.

Ultimately, the primary purpose of the warbands bespoke rules and matched play points is to allow players, particularly beginners who might have them as a gate way purchase and need to fill out their points, to use them without modification if they want to. Nothing more. They seem to do that quite well from the looks of it, much better than those for Blackstone Fortress do in Killteam and 40k, which I'd say are quite horrible, at any rate.

• Like 2

I don't want to start a flame, just to make you re-think the popularity topic. 

2 weeks ago people were chanting that the fyreslayer topic had 7 pages and none was interested in the faction cause of the looks of the models. Well, I kinda surf all the duardin-suburban-cluster around the internet and now I see a LOT of people start collecting the army and hyped around the frigging 2+ save and hearthguard berserkers....

Still, same models. 

Edit: the point is that, MAYBE, rules that make an army fun to play weight more than people think regarding popularity.

Edited by Furuzzolo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Furuzzolo I don't think those who dislike the models suddenly like them because of the rules. That side of things is more people who liked the army and who were on the fence jumping over to join in. That said most of the model issues I saw were more focused on the fact that they've basically got a very limited design theme with the army. Most were liking the models and theme, but wanted more variety within the range so that they felt they were putting different stuff down not just the same half dressed fyreslayer holding a sword then the same model holding a gun then the same model holding two swords standing on a dragon. 

10 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

2 weeks ago people were chanting that the fyreslayer topic had 7 pages and none was interested in the faction cause of the looks of the models. Well, I kinda surf all the duardin-suburban-cluster around the internet and now I see a LOT of people start collecting the army and hyped around the frigging 2+ save and hearthguard berserkers....

Still, same models. 

Edit: the point is that, MAYBE, rules that make an army fun to play weight more than people think regarding popularity.

from what I gather it possible it going to cause more rage inducing moments for your opponents then anything else just like the Infamous kunnin rukk did to people

1 hour ago, novakai said:

from what I gather it possible it going to cause more rage inducing moments for your opponents then anything else just like the Infamous kunnin rukk did to people

Every rule out of contest of the game can.

Do you know that 20 irondrakes can shoot 38 attacks 3+ (reroll1) hit, 2+ wound, -2 rend 1 damage at 16"

&  2 attacks 3+ reroll1, 2+, -3 rend d6 damage at 24" ?

Do the math, scary ah? Still...

1 hour ago, Furuzzolo said:

Still, same models. 

I haven't started Fyreslayers (way too big a gray mountain) myself. but was tempted. One thing that really put me off FS 1.0 is that in order to run it you needed to paint blocks of 30 Vulkites, which ends up damn expensive, and also very same-y in an army that visually has issues with that.

If you can run a more elite force then that obstacle no longer applies, for example a hearthguard and heroes based list, or heavy magmadroths.

Another issue (At least for me) is that people are waiting for books to be updated before they jump in, not necessarily because they want the latest OP thing, but so they know what to build stuff as. Look at Kharadron Overlords, at the moment the Arkanaut Company can take  3 light sky hooks, but the box only gives one, along with a volley gun and a pike. If they change the warscroll the way that they did for storm fiends then a lot of people are going to have to readjust. If you have other projects on, it makes sense to wait.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Still-young said:

People talking about a new release in the news and rumour thread? The horror!

From what i read it's the "Rumour Thread" Where "News" is coming from is far beyond me.

If we make stuff up we may as well call it the Sports News and Rumours

2 minutes ago, Kurrilino said:

From what i read it's the "Rumour Thread" Where "News" is coming from is far beyond me.

If we make stuff up we may as well call it the Sports News and Rumours

Well, we can’t ever discuss anything Games Workshop officially announces then, either. Gotta stick to pure rumours!

• Like 1