The Rumour Thread

30 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

This looks great, GW's on a chaos undivided roll at the moment. I like how they're diversifying the aesthetics away from "Khorne = this" or "Nurgle = this". Having a beast hunter (tamer?) theme and a more armoured gladiator theme is interesting. These being respectively Ghur-ish and Chamonite/Aqshy-ite seems plausible, which would make them the first models so closely tied to particular realms, apart from (kinda) the original endless spells. It does make me wonder how much of this we can reasonably use to infer about a main line Darkoath AoS force, if these six warbands are going to be as divergent from each other as they seem.

Here's hoping it has more of a (roughly) narrative or campaign emphasis like Necromunda rather than the competitive focus of Underworlds or, more recently, Kill Team. If they can draw campaign inspiration from the old Path to Glory - the incredible WHFB 6th edition pseudo-RPG warband rules, not the anodyne current set - even better. D100 mutation tables are too much to hope for but still... Underworlds has the most competantly put together ruleset I've ever encountered from GW (bar LOTR) and Hitnerlands was clever, characterful stuff so I have high hopes. Fighting for a location with untainted water or beast herds, battles over who has ownership of sacred sites, actually deciding on the patronage of the Varanguard through champions' duels, there's a lot you can do.

I always loved the Moorcockian/dying earth feel of warbands in the chaos wastes, the kind of thing you got in MacNiven's Scourge of Fate, Rob Sanders' Archaon novels or, ultimately, the old Realms of Chaos books (and their lower fantasy incarnation in Abnett's Riders of the Dead). The internal dynamics of power struggles, the path of the champion, the fighting for resources and divine favour between half-mutated weirdos under blood-red skies. And clearly Mad Max: Fury Road gave some of those aesthetics a new lease of life.

Would other forces be interesting? Sure, if they were tailored to the setting of the Eightpoints. A ragged crusade of devoted Sigmarite flagellants. Starving Idoneth, stranded far from the sea and hunting souls to stay alive. Hardbitten ironjaws, whittled down to a core of dudes after 'da greatest scrap'. That sort of thing. Otherwise I'm perfectly fine with all-chaos. Necromunda and Mordheim both showed how you can have a lot of interesting force diversity (compare Goliath with Delaque, or to a lesser extent Middenheimers with Marienbergers) without having to tick every box for a matching main AoS faction just because.

Also: mini dragon-bird = cockatrice hatchlings?

Okay, QFT, this whole post is excellent 😍

(EDIT : I didn't "just" liked it because the website won't let me spend more "likes" this morning, Warcry was too good :D )

Edited by HorticulusTGA

2 hours ago, lord_blackfang said:

Can anyone spot the 5th and 6th faction? I see Gladiators, Darkoath, Beastmen, Harpies. For a moment I thought there was a Skaven, but now I think that's just a Darkoath with a skull hat.

dik0R8U.jpg

The one on the left looks like a flayed face, and I'm pretty sure the one on the right is Thulsa Doom. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

The skulls above and the door bow partly look like the the old Arcane Ruins that are OOP right now.

Yup. I wouldn't read too much into that as we know Skulls and Warhammer go hand in hand. I'm sure if you cracked open a skull of somebody/something from Age of Sigmar, you would find it filled with skulls. :D 

With Adepticon at the end of the month, we will find out more soon ;) 

• Like 1

The fact that some miniatures were recycled across games let me hope both Shadespire and existing minis could be used in Warcry. To me a good skirmish game is still missing, but now makes sense the White Dwarf rules this year. It’s just that the warband creation is not balanced at all and they know it because they specifically mentioned even Nagash could be included in a 800 points game (ok no skirmish should ever reach that many points).

I like the miniatures but I’m not interested in the Chaos GA, so part of me is happy because I’ll pass it and my wallet can be redirected forwards forbidden power, but part of me is sad because a coffee table/coffee break cheap game is what AoS is missing. A Shadespire warband costs 17.5£, a DoK skirmish warband with a bit of variety 100£??? 

And Path to Glory has no sense to be played outside of a campaign (and it’s not cheaper than Skirmish).

From the intro I doubt any other GA faction will be added in 2019, by that time the core box may be gone or difficult to find or outdated...

12 minutes ago, Mungrun said:

I just want Warscrolls to use the bands in AoS.

Warcry it's not what I expected but I like the box. 

Shadespire warbands are not that good in AoS and have lots of weapon options. Better use them as alternative models for existing units to add variety.

• Like 1

As long as warcry is not a "wait till we get ranged bands" and then "wait till we get wizards" it will be nice. I don't like the chaos focus thing but hope to see more warbands. I don't like the predefined warbands but as long as it is for balancing it's ok. So I'm not hyped for first time

Edited by Hoseman

Do we have any indication of whether the models in Warcry will be monopose. If they're "Necromunda" as in highly customizable multipart kits where you can economize with how you're equipping your warband, then I almost can't breathe for sheer ecitement.

• Like 1

Have you noticed that the last update ends with "And that’s all from GAMA!" ?

The Warcry update is probably the one that was planned for tonight. GW might have noticed the general disappointment from the previous updates and decided to give the fans something to be excited about.

1 minute ago, Raviv said:

Have you noticed that the last update ends with "And that’s all from GAMA!" ?

The Warcry update is probably the one that was planned for tonight. GW might have noticed the general disappointment from the previous updates and decided to give the fans something to be excited about.

No, people just don't understand time zones.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

At first I was confused as to why there are duplicate sculpts of the harpies in this shot,Screenshot_2019-03-13-13-37-02.png.83fab65d1b4c4efe81bdb0035f09ea5e.png

then I realised that @HorticulusTGA must be right and these are npcs. This has me even more excited for the game as there are any number of chaotic beasts they could throw into the mix as the game develops. It also means there are still 4 warbands we have yet to see minis for. One of them must be the fighters with the spiked halos in this picture Screenshot_2019-03-13-12-20-45.png.834ec2a0704e650e8d5094accd98c05e.png

You can see one on the left facing the guy from the starter set, the jumping female fighter and the tomb king looking one in the background. 

You also have the fighter with wings on the right who is clearly not a harpy. He may be from a fourth faction.

Edited by Chikout
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Raviv said:

Believe me, I do.

The last update was planned for tonight (as in PST night), about 12 hours from now.

I think it was actually a mistake by GW.  In the schedule they used UK dates but bolded the US times.  So everyone assumed they were using US dates as well.

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Skaven better be in it - I can think of no better race for Munchkin than Skaven! :)

Maybe not Skaven, but in fact I suspect the non-Khorne warband might not be undivided but horned rat affiliated, with GHR influenced humans somewhat teased in Malign Portents.

With six (initial) warbands teased and four all but guaranteed to be dedicated to the big four and one likely undivided, I really don't see any stronger candidate for the last.

Edit: On second look, the "Khorne" warband does not seem to have a single Khornate icon. So I guess these might not have any specific god affiliation at all.

Realms seem likely at this point, though that raises the question which Realm gets left out aside from Azyr. I'd guess Hiysh, we know it got overrun and should have its own Chaos tribes like all the others, but GW has been the most tight lipped with info on it out of all the Realms and seem to hold it back for future developements.

Could also be the tribes are divided along completely diffent lines from the known and usual (like what Age of Myth civilisation they formed from).

Edited by Rogue Explorator