The Rumour Thread

7 minutes ago, Nos said:

Kharadron placed very highly in the biggest AOS tournament in the world and came within inches of  beating the winning Khorne army with 3 Bloodthirsters which suggests people probably need to just play them better 

Oh yay spamming 80 +infantry and having stormcast externals is clearly what the army is about. Spammy horde armies. Yeah I have gone into this with others but the real issue is none of their units have any flavor and their lists don't look or play like KO. So less of a buff then a reorganization to make ships way better. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Barkanaut said:

Oh yay spamming 80 +infantry and having stormcast externals is clearly what the army is about. Spammy horde armies. Yeah I have gone into this with others but the real issue is none of their units have any flavor and their lists don't look or play like KO. So less of a buff then a reorganization to make ships way better. 

Thats pretty much how every army is at top level, but i agree it would be nice to have some actual flavour put back into them. Who knows when that will be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nos said:

Kharadron placed very highly in the biggest AOS tournament in the world and came within inches of  beating the winning Khorne army with 3 Bloodthirsters which suggests people probably need to just play them better 

Imo, that's not what he means. It's not the powerlevel, is the entire battletome FAQ'd, rules outdated, 0 interesting mechanics, and a lot miniatures that suffer because of that (gunhaulers, skywardens, Endrimaster,...)

Btw, I believe that KO are not bad, they just have mechanics that didn't catch up with AoS 2.0. Nobody wants just more firepower and better saves for everything (but some ships should have +3save anyway :D:D).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stato said:

Thats pretty much how every army is at top level, but i agree it would be nice to have some actual flavour put back into them. Who knows when that will be.

If you’re not playing at top level though then playing armies with flavour and character is straight forward. 

If you just play AOS to win then that’s a straight jacket of your own invention because as a game it’s imbalanced and prone to gimmicks and abuse, precisely *because* it’s designed to prioritise flavour and character over balance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Walrustaco said:

It sounds to me like Kharadron aren't a priority. There's having no flavour in your battletome, and then there's having no battletome. Y'all can wait

Not going to lie....you are right. Imho, all armies should be updated for AoS 3.0 (before or after GHB2019). 

22 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

It sounds to me like Kharadron aren't a priority. There's having no flavour in your battletome, and then there's having no battletome. Y'all can wait

Disagree.

They are a new range, and therefore represent a huge recent investment for GW.

Unlike Fireslayers, people mostly love the KO range. So the more difficult, time-consuming and expensive part of the process (i.e. development of the miniature range) was fine, but they botched the book.

This situation can be rectified comparatively easily, and this should be done before, say, Gutbusters. Having no book and being more "deserving" takes a back seat to business interests - especially for a publicly-traded company.

PS: I don't play KO.

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Nos said:

Sure he did great but the result was no kharadron at the top 10

Also maths and stats dont work as you have said,if one people did good then everyone can do it?the whats the point in win rates?

Kharadron,fyreslayers and ironjawz are very weak and need huge buffs.

One kharadron doing great at one tournament(that finished 11th so  isnt so great) meaning nothing in a global context where one dude do good with them and then 30 more do it bad with them

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

Disagree.

They are a new range, and therefore represent a huge recent investment for GW.

Unlike Fireslayers, people mostly love the KO range. So the more difficult, time-consuming and expensive part of the process (i.e. development of the miniature range) was fine, but they botched the book.

The models sell well enough, no doubt. And do you think GW thinks they've botched the book? I doubt it.

I'm pretty sure as far as GW is concerned, KO have a tome with allegiance abilities, so that's job done, they're all set and in order.

I guess we'll see (or not) at LVO, but if tomes like Sylvaneth or BCR aren't being touched any time soon (also tomes with allegiance abilities, however old they may be) then I really doubt KO have a chance.

11 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

This situation can be rectified comparatively easily, and this should be done before, say, Gutbusters. Having no book and being more "deserving" takes a back seat to business interests - especially for a publicly-traded company.

Whereas I can look at something recently announced: the Skaven battletome. An older faction, who to be fair sort of had a tome but an older one in the  Pestilens books. But that older faction is now getting a new battletome and some spells and being pat on the back and sent on their way. I can look at that and think, 'hey that could be me'

• Like 2

Have they mentioned how many gnawholes you get to deploy (as they stated they are free), the box showed three but if they can potentially riddle the battlefield with more via spells or abilities then the amount of deadly terrain on the map could give a nice way of funnelling enemies into a killbox.

16 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Huge threat ranges on those spells.

Guaranteed +1 cast and +1 to prayers AND a teleport? Amazing.

I think the Skaven Spells and scenery are probably the best ones we've seen in any faction so far.

or scouting for next big toys for all armies since each faction can use a mechanic like gnawholes or siege class magic this means there are a lot of new toys releasing in this year.

21 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

The models sell well enough, no doubt. And do you think GW thinks they've botched the book? I doubt it.

They have publicly went on record to acknowledge they botched the book. The wrong file went to print, which resulted in a majority of the warscrolls needing damage value and range corrections. One of the handful of their scrolls has been completely rewritten.  The near universal sentiment of anyone who is informed, including a number of insiders I've talked to, is that the book needs a redesign from the ground up.  It is a one dimensional army that generates a un-fun play experience.  I believe we'll see a new battletome for KO by the end of April, or June at the latest. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

The near universal sentiment of anyone who is informed, including a number of insiders I've talked to, is that the book needs a redesign from the ground up.  It is a one dimensional army that generates a un-fun play experience. 

Okay... but it probably won't get one. GW released errata. I'm sure that fix was good enough for them. 

A lot of recent armies that have areas of weakness, such as KO, would benefit from revisions to the rules. Nothing dramatic that would require a 3rd edition but...

A rule which lets behemoth / monster models count as multiple models for objectives. 

Battleplans that allow a more defensive style of play.

I also think GW were really scared of shooting being too powerful when in fact most ranged units in AoS are worse than melee options in their respective armies. As such I think almost all ranged units should get fairly significant points reductions.

I also think a few of the AoS 1 armies have areas of weakness due to how the rules used to work. So for example balancing saves on the assumption it was fairly easy to get a +1 to save from mystic shield or immunity to battleshock from inspiring presence.  Idoneth Deepkin are an example of this. Of course Morrsarr Spam is viable, but outside of those lists there are a lot of new kits that aren't viable. Namarti in particular would be a lot more viable if you could dump an old style mystic shield on them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Melcavuk said:

Have they mentioned how many gnawholes you get to deploy (as they stated they are free), the box showed three but if they can potentially riddle the battlefield with more via spells or abilities then the amount of deadly terrain on the map could give a nice way of funnelling enemies into a killbox.

I'm picturing a Skaven vs. Skaven game now with the tabletop absolutely riddled with holes like a big Swiss cheese, units popping in and out of them all over the place in a big endless game of rat & mouse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

8 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

Okay... but it probably won't get one. GW released errata. I'm sure that fix was good enough for them. 

I am pretty sure that the last Errata made KO worser, and that lead to a lot people posting on their Facebook page about buffing them, during the GHB 2019 suggestion time

beside when KO was released I believe GW said that they where going to expand the KO range because they sold so well.

4 minutes ago, JPjr said:

I'm picturing a Skaven vs. Skaven game now with the tabletop absolutely riddled with holes like a big Swiss cheese, units popping in and out of them all over the place in a big endless game of rat & mouse.

"rat and mouse" here, take my like! :D