The Rumour Thread

6 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

No more flying night gobs and several units disapeared since this week-end. I won't refresh my gobs. This will be a big pass for me and a huge dispointment. 

Next.

I hope darkoath won't be such a let down. (I'm hesitating about the skaven btw)

Flying Night Goblins? If you mean the Doom Diver, that wasn't a Night Goblin thing... 

9 minutes ago, ManlyMuppet88 said:

Squig Hoppers and Bounders can fly.... for some reason.

That's because mechanically flying is handled like jumping in AoS. A flying unit always starts and ends its movement on the ground, never "mid flight" (with the exception of a few models that are closer to skimmers such as those dwarf airships). Therefore the squigs can "fly" because they use that same mechanic to jump* over things. 

It would likely only change if the nature of flying were split into flying leaps and actual remaining in flight - ergo a flying unit could take flight and thus not be attacked by ground troops even in base to base contact with it

*Squigs are likely like goats in that they'll either make it over in one powerful leap or they'll make a series of leaps up a surface, their legs clinging onto almost invisible points of grip - just like goats who walk out into the side walls of dams!

I totally understand why they just have a 'one-rule-to-bind-them-all' thing going on for flyers, after all the aim of the game these days is to try and streamline the rules (or at least core mechanics) as much as possible.

Saying that the part of me that is an idiot and likes to overthink things does wish they'd have essentially two grades of Flyers, (1) units that can do everything flying units can do right now & (2) units that keep all the flying rules apart from they can't move up to the 'Aerial' level of a battlefield).

Unless, and my god I'd love this, they really pushed Aerial battles a bit more (I guess the new format WD could potentially allow them to do this) it's such a niche scenario though that there's probably only about 4 people in the world, myself included, wasting any time thinking about this.

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 1

@JPjr I'd love a more involved flying system - sadly its often limited by the 2D nature of the boards we play on. Even with buildings with levels its still all a 2D ground based game. The core issue is how to represent a unit "in flight" whilst keeping it on the table as you encounter the issue that terrain and other units on the ground get in the way of placement. Whilst if you remove the model to a flying "sideboard" you're essentially taking models "off the table" or you're creating a separate flight table which increases tablespace requirements. 

Granted things like delayed deployment also do this, but the other way around, so its not as if we are not used to the idea of models not being on the table during the game. 

Plus 40K has dedicated fliers and seems to get along well with them. The real issue for AoS would be that a lot of the dedicated fliers would have ground/landed poses; whilst the 40K fliers that remain in flight are all air units and modelled for being in flight the whole time 

Can we infer anything from the lack of a SC! DOK box coupled with the new heroes in Carrion Empire?

I am hoping it means we might see DOK and a new hero in a similar two sided box.

Possibly with She-Who-Thirsts mortals? Wild speculation there but would be quite themematic. 

8 minutes ago, Veillotron said:

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned before/I've been living under a rock, but on GW's website the Aelves have all been grouped under one heading - a sign of a new BoC/LoN-type battletome to come?

Interesting!

On a quich chck all Ironweld Arsenal stuff (including the originally Dwarf kits) has been lumped in with Free Peoples on the online store too... 🤔

• Sad 2

23 minutes ago, Veillotron said:

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned before/I've been living under a rock, but on GW's website the Aelves have all been grouped under one heading - a sign of a new BoC/LoN-type battletome to come?

It is goingon for a few weeks. Gives me hope thati will soon be able to field my high elfs in a coherent way...

15 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Interesting!

On a quich chck all Ironweld Arsenal stuff (including the originally Dwarf kits) has been lumped in with Free Peoples on the online store too... 🤔

This happened a month or more ago. Was discussed at the time and you can probably find that searching here. GW claims it was just a store reorganization to simplify things.  But I think many people expect GW to continue lumping factions until most of the remaining  battletome-less factions have a home.  Actually not that many tomes left to hit it, but some may be waiting on new releases (new aelves for instance). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Overread said:

*Squigs are likely like goats in that they'll either make it over in one powerful leap or they'll make a series of leaps up a surface, their legs clinging onto almost invisible points of grip - just like goats who walk out into the side walls of dams!

Once upon a time they also used to bounce off the top of models (friend or foe) and of course try to bite them in the process.  It could take a while to resolve, but it was often a pretty amusing in-game effect.

BOING BOING BOING

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

All of the Squig Hopper variants, Manglers, and mounted squigs have the "fly" rule - so there are lots more flying night goblins than previously.

I was speaking about older war machine which launch some flying gobos. Several units have been erased. I'm angry. >:(

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I was speaking about older war machine which launch some flying gobos. Several units have been erased. I'm angry. >:(

Yeah, the gitmob (common goblins) models being removed does suck.  But those were never a Night Goblin (Moonclan in AoS) unit.  So not having them in the Gloomspite release is not surprising.

I don’t think they have officially said that Gitmob is dead, but it does seem likely at this point.

As a long time fan of all things goblin, if someone had come to me and said that I had to pick one Orc or Goblin allegiance in AoS to kill off I probably would have made the same choice and dropped Gitmob.  I have many fond memories over the decades of the Doom Diver, and hopefully they bring that thing back later in some form, but the Gitmob range had the least coherent theme and had been stagnating for a long time.

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Yeah, the gitmob (common goblins) models being removed does suck.  But those were never a Night Goblin (Moonclan in AoS) unit.  So not having them in the Gloomspite release is not surprising.

I don’t think they have officially said that Gitmob is dead, but it does seem likely at this point.

As a long time fan of all things goblin, if someone had come to me and said that I had to pick one Orc or Goblin allegiance in AoS to kill off I probably would have made the same choice and dropped Gitmob.  I have many fond memories over the decades of the Doom Diver, and hopefully they bring that thing back later in some form, but the Gitmob range had theeast coherent theme and had been stagnating for a long time.

Exactly. Gitmob are the tired old goblins of other stories. I love the wolf riders, pumpwagons and doomdivers and if I had my own way I'd brought them out again (just with added mushrooms) They will never official announce them as dead- simple as that would alienate players with huge collections and you can just use gitmob as gloomspite with little worry.  I do suspect that with the insane response to gloomspite, we actually see pirate sky grots in the future and if we do we will see the return of the doomdiver and other crazy contraptions. (We will see over the next few weeks if the sales are as popular as they seem to be, or if this is just everyone getting excited but just using up the old battle for skull pass minis we all have!)

If we don't see sky pirates I intend to carry on with my own Mek grots at some point, but I'm just too distracted with gloomspite as I have a huge collection of night goblins and I need to get a lot more painted before the new stuff arrives this weekend! I'll hopefully get back to the in summer, but just talking about them now makes me want to finish off the test models that are still in bits box!