The Rumour Thread

5 minutes ago, Twisted Firaun said:

So if we take reboxing as a sign of new tomes inbound (which is universally the case), we got Soulblight Gravelords and Blades of Khorne in our future. I wonder if GW has a new hero/unit planned for either of them, or if we just get the Warcry warbands and call it a day? 

Warcry warbands are not related to the AoS tome release, they are separate release for the most part. 

5 minutes ago, El Syf said:

As much as this excites me, it’s odd since soulblight was pretty much the prototype 3.0 tome and there are older ones that could do with updating more.

vampire lord on nightmare yes please! 

is it really odd? GW doesn't release stuff based on meta or how outdated stuff is, I though people would have understood that by now.

Soulblight was likely going to get a 3.0 tome this edition regardless of how new the last one is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, novakai said:

is it really odd? GW doesn't release stuff based on meta or how outdated stuff is, I though people would have understood that by now.

Soulblight was likely going to get a 3.0 tome this edition regardless of how new the last one is.

Fair. I mean I’ll take it, just feel bad for fireslayers players and the like.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ogorek said:

Wait so between the Blood Knights and Mortek Guard, are we to assume Flesh Eater courts won’t be getting an update as per the current road map?

Might be easier for them and less backlash to just update the soulblight tome and throw in a new hero than to do that for flesh eaters who could really do with their range spruced up and added to. Nagash gets a new profile again probably which ever comes.

Edited by El Syf

It seems that Vincent from Warhammer Weekly guessed it right then.

He said that a new bt for SBGL in spring would make more sense to him because both OBR and SBGL only need a book. They can easily be squeezed among all the releases in Spring while FeC are probably getting lots more than a book, later in the year.

Edited by Sigmarusvult
  • Like 1

Can't think of a case of reboxing without a tome coming but I might be wrong.

Not seeing FEC get a new book is kinda dissapointing, I think the book could really do with a real glow up. Hopefully it hints at a bigger release later in the year but i won't be taking that for granted.

As for the other big news; obviously excited to see what they produce and the prospect of more people coming to the hobby... on the other hand I have absolutely no faith in the general online community not to turn this, regardless of what it actually ends up being, into an awful culture war horror show that makes the RoP backlash look like a Teddy bears picnic.

I also really don't get the hero-worship for Henry Cavill either.

• Like 3

Call me deluded, but Caville, for the most part, just doesn’t seem like many celebs - An A List actor yes. But he’s been an icon for all things nerdy for years. PC gaming, fantasy fiction, Warhammer 40k, addict of Warhammer Total War. The dude makes movies and tv and likes the things most of us here like. He’s pretty direhard about some stuff. I just don’t see what there isn’t to like. We’re getting an A List actor, that likes the Genre, acting and helping in making it. Whats the downside here? 

Now we only need to get in contact with Caville and tell him not to sign anything unless GW promises that Malerion and Chorfs will be out this year. 

I do recall there being some Seraphon rumours before all this hysteria. Any more news if that Slann is waking up or is he staying in trance for another 20 years. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

It's surprising to see reboxes for OBR and Soulblight but not FEC especially given Whitefang's hints. There is a certain logic to or though if we look at which armies are likely to get range updates rather than single minis. 

We could see a big update for Slaves to Darkness in the winter, a big update for Seraphon in the spring, a big update for cities in the summer  (or the other way round for these two) and a big update for FEC in the autumn. That said a nicely balanced release schedule night be a bit too orderly for GW. 

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

5 hours ago, Nezzhil said:

1825912566_https___trade.games-workshop.com_assets_2022_12_EB200a-94-25-99120207164-OssiarchBonereapersMortekGuard.jpg.f637828b3ae1e137af614002e87bcd36.jpg

https___trade.games-workshop.com_assets_2022_12_EB200a-91-42-99120207140-Deathrattle Skeleton Warriors.jpg

Now I want to know if the upcoming Warcry box is Soul Blight or OBR for the death side. The Khorne part seems to be locked down, so that leaves Slaanesh facing off against destruction or Order.

5 hours ago, novakai said:

Warcry warbands are not related to the AoS tome release, they are separate release for the most part. 

True, but they usually get a warscroll and lore blurbs in the new tomes. Granted they’re not always great warscrolls, but I think they’re fun.

9 hours ago, Nezzhil said:

1825912566_https___trade.games-workshop.com_assets_2022_12_EB200a-94-25-99120207164-OssiarchBonereapersMortekGuard.jpg.f637828b3ae1e137af614002e87bcd36.jpg

https___trade.games-workshop.com_assets_2022_12_EB200a-91-42-99120207140-Deathrattle Skeleton Warriors.jpg

I don't see any Rumour Engines that scream OBR, but I've had this one pegged as Gravelords since we first saw it:

image.png.c6f3ee29ef09ffe823259d4706e0334a.png.I

With any luck it will be that mounted Vampire Lord everyone is waiting for.

If GW really decides to release all of Cities, OBR and G-Lords in spring I will be absolutely broke for a while. All three armies I play would be getting an update at once after a year of complete model drought.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

10 hours ago, El Syf said:

As much as this excites me, it’s odd since soulblight was pretty much the prototype 3.0 tome and there are older ones that could do with updating more.

vampire lord on nightmare yes please! 

Yeah I'd be surprised if they are one of the new Battletomes. Their old tome is actually fairing okay in 3.0, presumably because it was written long after the 3.0 rules had been drafted.

That said if love for them to get a new book. I'd double love it if they could redo Grave Guard!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kronos said:

I do recall there being some Seraphon rumours before all this hysteria. Any more news if that Slann is waking up or is he staying in trance for another 20 year

You should probably check on him.

considering the last event, I’d assumed he’d be dead by now.

you can thank the skaven for that,

yes-yes😘

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, TechnoVampire said:

Excuse my ignorance on the topic but has a reboxing always indicated a new battletome so far? 

So the GW website is hardlinked to their stocking/warehousing system. Each model on the store has a unique code for it and this code corresponds to a specific set of parts for the pickers in the warehouse. Whenever any one of those parts is changed or updated this generates a new code, which means on the website the old code linked model goes "sold out" and the new code has to be relisted to redisplay the model for sale.

Sometimes the swapover is fast and we don't notice it; sometimes it lags. I've seen it where both are on display at the same time, one sold out, one relisted.

Sometimes it means there's a new battletome coming; sometimes it means that GW just changed the box art or base size; sometimes it means the insert changed or something else. 
In general if a new battletome is on the horizon you'll notice a bunch from the same faction, however normally by that time the new tome is confirmed by GW and we've already hints of it coming. It's rare that we'll see a whole swath go out of stock and be replaced with a new tome without any warning. 

7 hours ago, El Syf said:

I think the hero worship comes down to the fact that he is one of if not the only high profile person known to collect it.

I read somewhere apparently Robin Williams had a huge Eldar collection back in the day but don’t know if that’s true.

Robin Williams did indeed have Eldar as well as some of the Armourcast Titans (legally created during the ancient times, they were basically the models for Epic/Titan Legions upscaled to 40K scale and cast in resin by a firm called Armour Cast). He had other stuff too. A few years back his daughter auctioned a lot of it off. 

7 hours ago, Kronos said:

Call me deluded, but Caville, for the most part, just doesn’t seem like many celebs - An A List actor yes. But he’s been an icon for all things nerdy for years. PC gaming, fantasy fiction, Warhammer 40k, addict of Warhammer Total War. The dude makes movies and tv and likes the things most of us here like. He’s pretty direhard about some stuff. I just don’t see what there isn’t to like. We’re getting an A List actor, that likes the Genre, acting and helping in making it. Whats the downside here? 

So there's a fair few people in Hollywood that like geeky stuff. Vin Diesel is very upfront about his geeky side; Will Smith has had a few warhammer models appear here and there in films. I think the thing is many Celebrities have their public and private lives and for many their hobbies, like Warhammer, are in their private life. Part of their life where they aren't sponsored or paid to endorse the product and show it off; and part where they just want to be themselves. Where they can go and enjoy a game of whatever it is without being "Mr Celebrity" with the world following their every motion. 

Henry stands out because he's brought his Warhammer hobby into his public life in a big way, though Vin has also done it pretty big (you can argue his Riddick films are passion projects of his which is pretty massive in a sci-fi geek way). Henry also stands out because he doesn't "look like a geek". He doesn't have glasses; he doesn't get cast in geeky roles. He's not a Simon Pegg. 
Henry is closer to your Arny or Rambo. He's your hunky good looking action hero who swings a sword, gets the ladies and most certainly isn't living in his mothers basement. He utterly destroys the "casual geek mental image" that many have when they think of a geek. It's the real world geek who isn't just that one dimension image of a person. I think that in itself has pushed him forward, especially in an age where, lets face it, most "geeky" hobbies are pretty mainstream now. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

I think its a good sign of no repackaging for FEC, it may lead to more kits being released or updated and those they definitely wouldnt want to leak into the public!!

The entire army could be updated in one fell swoop, Its such a small range!

Those old ghouls compared to the Underworlds band are night and day. If they dont gey anything other than a hero I'd be shocked. 

• Like 1

So it's not really a rumor but more like speculations based on information from resent novels (Gitslayer, Arcanaut oath, Grombrindal and Ansectors Hall)
Long story short. As far as we know Valaya was missing in Age of Sigmar and last time she appear was in End time Nagash book. Many people think that he devour her during this book but for me this 

image.png.c3bd3442fb9435dcc8ab1429ca726e14.png

doesn't sound like devouring to be honest.
But since then we doesn't hear anything about Valaya other then some duardins still worship her. Until now as I think.
So first thing that I want to pointing up is that it looks like something big is happening with duardins underworlds in Shyish. From Black pyramid novel we know that Gazul was devoured by Nagash but still remains at some degree. 
Right now we all know that Grombridal is returns to Morlar realms and his mission is to unite all duardins but is that all?
From Grombrindal short stories we know that White bearded wanderer was 

created by Grungni from his own memories.
He nodded finally, breathless and weary from his labours, and set down his hammer and tongs. He reached out to his creation. 

Its hand grasped his.

The reforged duardin stepped out from the anvil and, for the first time since the departure of the Six Smiths to Sigmaron, the Maker welcomed a near-equal to his forge. The duardin, still white-hot from the heat of his making, dipped his head in greeting. The Maker returned the welcome in kind.

‘Father,’ the duardin grunted.

‘You remember…?’ said the Maker.

‘Everything.’

‘Then I fear you’ve the advantage on me. The ages have taken so much.’
‘I’m not sure what to call you, now you’re here,’ said the Maker. ‘You’ve worn so many names. Not least the one by which I once named you.’

The shining duardin looked up.
‘You know my name.’

But we duardin aren’t so quick to forgive a wrong done to us, and the wrong I did to them was great indeed. The centuries that have passed since the Age of Myth have been too long and bloody for them to follow me again, and Grimnir is not yet ready to return. There’s only one thing they all share in common, one duardin who can unite them all.’

Grombrindal sighed and picked up his axe. ‘Best make a start then, hadn’t I?’

but also this stories tied to duardins underworlds as well. For example Grungni have very interesting conversation with Nagash

‘Aid me as you aided him,’ the voice hissed. The wisp-light deepened with the sudden intensity of its words. ‘Give me the keys to the duardin underworlds, and with such tools will we remake Shyish into a fortress of Order as will endure unto the end of things.’

‘No.’

‘I will find them if I must. I will break them, and devour their guardian spirits and false-gods as I have all others.’

‘No you won’t, or you wouldn’t have bothered to ask. Because though you clearly don’t know me nearly half as well as I thought you did, I do still know you. Now…’ Shuffling about, he rested the foot of his cane back on the mail vest draped over the duardin skeleton’s ribcage. ‘I asked you to get out of my kinsman’s body and leave me in peace. I even said please.’

What is interesting about that? Who is this "guardian spirits" and "false-gods"?
And finally I want to share some information from Ancestors Hall short story where

opening one of the duardins underworlds

First thing that strikes me is that there is alot of mansioning for atmosphere and quality of ale 

‘Duardin knew how to brew ale in those days,’ Finn said.

‘That they did,’ Aegil agreed.

‘Not like duardin now,’ said Finn.

Aegil nodded. ‘Not like now.’

It was not that it tasted bad so much as that it tasted of so little. Whatever qualities Troggbeater’s brews had once possessed, they had been dulled by repetition until they were as grey, flat and bland as the venerable brewery master himself.

Next thing is Grombrindal him self and his behavour when he meet other duardins

‘How did you get inside the gates?’

Rather than answer, Gotti looked up as though taking in the more prosaic wonders of Aegil’s entrance hall. ‘The one place I’d always yearned to see, and the one place that has always been denied me.’ He smiled to himself, but there was a sadness in it that even Aegil could see as he completed his admiring survey of the ceiling and its eight linked frescoes. ‘It’s not every day that one as well travelled as I gets a glimpse of that he’s never seen before. I thank you for that, at least.’ He turned back to Aegil. His smile was still there, but the weariness of his eyes spoke of disappointment. ‘But she’s not here, is she.’

‘Who isn’t here?’

‘No,’ Gotti sighed, the philosophical gruffness in his dismissal setting Aegil’s teeth on edge. ‘She’s not here. She’d not leave a footsore traveller going thirsty on her doorstep.’ He made as though to leave.

Who is "She" story doesn't unswear but we get this at the end

‘Nagash,’ said Gotti, in a voice like lead. It was as though the traveller had read his mind. ‘He sought to devour you, and your hall, as he has so many others in this realm. For centuries beyond even my power to count he’s hunted for you. He is patient, I’ll give him that, but the craft of the duardin isn’t so easily undone, and a duardin who’s determined to stay hidden isn’t so readily found.’ He turned and winked. His brilliant white beard bristled around a modest smile as he tapped the side of his nose. ‘Unless you know what you’re looking for, of course.’

and

Gotti chuckled as he turned a longing gaze onto the gate behind him. ‘One day, perhaps. One day. But until then I’ve more halls to find, more doors to open. There’re as many underworlds in Shyish as there are duardin in the Mortal Realms, and I’ve a feeling I’m going to have to search them all.’

‘For what?’

Gotti gave him a wide smile, and Aegil felt as though all the wealth in the Mortal Realms had just landed in his lap. ‘Someone who’ll have a warm hearth and a strong ale for a wanderer like me, I’ve no doubt.’

So... someone who’ll have a warm hearth and a strong ale for a wanderer you say? Does duardins have the Goddess of hearth and brewing? 
Just to add abit more speculation... How about Valaya leading order faction of einherjar type of duardins in Shyish, considering that duardins have legends about Valykraz(aka Valkyries)?

P.S. If administration deside that it's the wrong topic for the post I'll delete it. 

Edited by cofaxest
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

4 hours ago, JerekKruger said:

Yeah I'd be surprised if they are one of the new Battletomes. Their old tome is actually fairing okay in 3.0, presumably because it was written long after the 3.0 rules had been drafted.

That said if love for them to get a new book. I'd double love it if they could redo Grave Guard!

The counterpoint perhaps, is that there is little work for them to update the battletome, so it's easier to slot in. With how packed early 2023 is with battletomes, a lot of them will be low hanging fruit.