The Rumour Thread

I don't expect we'll see another CoS 'tome again, even if that's just because Dawnbringers end up being the successor to it.

Either way, my take is we won't actually see a followup until the Dispossessed/Wanderer parts of the book have been siphoned off into their own Battletomes - whether that's Dawi Soup/Grungni's thing and Sylvaneth/Kurnothi or just squat'ed entirely - leaving it a largely human book with a more defined theme of "normie humans". 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, Chikout said:

I know a lot of people are sick of this answer but it's COVID and Brexit. GW's original plan was to ship the dragons in September, Nurgle in October and probably Fyreslayers and IDK by the end of the year. We would've had 5 books in the first six months instead of three. 

Here in Japan we just got white dwarf 470 and the new Killteam starter is nowhere to be seen. Things are still majorly messed up and you only have to look at the queues of trucks in England to see that this is a problem that isn't going to end soon. 

I can totally respect Covid and Brexit being the true reason behind these weird release times. However what I do not understand is how these problems still tipped the scales so intensively in favour of 40K. Even if that makes sense somehow, then I find it difficult to understand, why they don’t give us some rumour bits, rules, FAQ’s insight to the future og anything else but the silence treatment that is good for noone.

Edited by Greasygeek
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Black_Templar_Lad said:

Maybe it's because 40k (Imperials) just sells better so GW would want to maximise their profits as much as they can given the situation. 

Source: I dunno I'm probably talking out my ******. 

Like I said before, that does make sense to some degree and even explain the many recent 40K releases. It still doesn’t explain GW dropping all news about AOS. Sure 40K is the most selling game or so I heard, but I would believe that AOS is a strong follower. At least strong enough not be completely ignored.

Even if Covid and Brexit made it 100% impossible to release AOS models. Rules, articles, and plans for the future would still very much make sense to release. 

25 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

I can totally respect Covid and Brexit being the true reason behind these weird release times. However what I do not understand is how these problems still tipped the scales so intensively in favour of 40K. Even if that makes sense somehow, then I find it difficult to understand, why they don’t give us some rumour bits, rules, FAQ’s insight to the future og anything else but the silence treatment that is good for noone.

It’s the same thing that caused the 40K delays. Gw chose to release the new editions more or less on time. This meant that dominion effectively jumped the queue. By doing this it left a backlog of 40k releases waiting for a slot. That slot is now. This is all just a theory but it seems the most logical guess especially as this is the second time this had happened. I think most people will agree that gw didn’t choose to abandon 40k last year. The fact remains that there wasn’t a major faction update for 40k until June last year.

As for the lack of the roadmap, gw has clearly become a bit gunshy about this. They announced Dragons for September but had to delay. The announced an AoS boom for October but had to delay. They announced Custodes and GSC for December but had to delay. They probably don’t want announce any dates until they absolutely have to. 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Chikout said:

It’s the same thing that caused the 40K delays. Gw chose to release the new editions more or less on time. This meant that dominion effectively jumped the queue. By doing this it left a backlog of 40k releases waiting for a slot. That slot is now. This is all just a theory but it seems the most logical guess especially as this is the second time this had happened. I think most people will agree that gw didn’t choose to abandon 40k last year. The fact remains that there wasn’t a major faction update for 40k until June last year.

As for the lack of the roadmap, gw has clearly become a bit gunshy about this. They announced Dragons for September but had to delay. The announced an AoS boom for October but had to delay. They announced Custodes and GSC for December but had to delay. They probably don’t want announce any dates until they absolutely have to. 

I agree with this. Broken Realms and Dominion were pretty clearly rushed out. Evidence for that is how they announced BR: Kragnos when BR: Belakor was not even out. Without having looked into it too much, I think it's very likely that GW wanted to make sure to release AoS 3 before the end of their fiscal year or something like that.

What happened after the release of Dominion suggests shipping or production problems. The Stormcast and Kruleboyz ranges took a while to fully release, with the dragons even being delayed to December. Even the Nurgle release was delayed by two months, and that was just a book and a hero. That suggests that pushing out all those Broken Realms books and Dominion was a sizable commitment for them. It makes sense that they now need to catch up with 40k releases that were pushed back to make it happen.

I think it's also very likely that GW still want to keep their hype machine going as usual. That means not announcing new stuff too far in advance and keeping enough stuff in their back pocket for big reveals like the one presumably planned for LVO later this week. It makes little sense from a marketing standpoint for GW to say "The next books will be Fyrslayers, Idoneth, Nighthaunt, Skaven and Gloomspite. No idea when you will get them though." That doesn't get people excited, it just makes them frustrated. We also saw that happen with the hype about dragons diminishing due to the delays with them, and the Nurgle book having basically zero hype surrounding its launch.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I agree with this. Broken Realms and Dominion were pretty clearly rushed out. Evidence for that is how they announced BR: Kragnos when BR: Belakor was not even out. Without having looked into it too much, I think it's very likely that GW wanted to make sure to release AoS 3 before the end of their fiscal year or something like that.

What happened after the release of Dominion suggests shipping or production problems. The Stormcast and Kruleboyz ranges took a while to fully release, with the dragons even being delayed to December. Even the Nurgle release was delayed by two months, and that was just a book and a hero. That suggests that pushing out all those Broken Realms books and Dominion was a sizable commitment for them. It makes sense that they now need to catch up with 40k releases that were pushed back to make it happen.

I think it's also very likely that GW still want to keep their hype machine going as usual. That means not announcing new stuff too far in advance and keeping enough stuff in their back pocket for big reveals like the one presumably planned for LVO later this week. It makes little sense from a marketing standpoint for GW to say "The next books will be Fyrslayers, Idoneth, Nighthaunt, Skaven and Gloomspite. No idea when you will get them though." That doesn't get people excited, it just makes them frustrated. We also saw that happen with the hype about dragons diminishing due to the delays with them, and the Nurgle book having basically zero hype surrounding its launch.

I agree with this, partially, but people are really overstating how much 40k has been "pushed back". We got the 40K leak forever ago, and it's not only been accurate for content but for release dates. When you have an 7 month or whatever old leak that is only off on release dates by less than a month on average, the 40k schedule clearly didn't take that much of a hit. Not compared to AoS, where 2+ month delays are becoming routine.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Arzalyn said:

Just AoS previews for us (no underwolrds or warcry), lets hope its more than just showing the cover of the Idoneth and Fyreslayers tomes...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/01/24/las-vegas-open-2022-massive-warhammer-reveals-are-coming-this-week/

My bet is Idoneth, Fyreslayers, Nighthaunt books + new Nighthaunt model.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Arzalyn said:

Just AoS previews for us (no underwolrds or warcry), lets hope its more than just showing the cover of the Idoneth and Fyreslayers tomes...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/01/24/las-vegas-open-2022-massive-warhammer-reveals-are-coming-this-week/

Four flavors of 40k and one flavor of AoS, not getting my hopes up for this preview. Still betting on Book Cover, singular.

Somehow I forgot they would be releasing Space Marines the game... oh well at least that box set that was leaked a thousand years ago will get revealed. 

I think that we will get a new model (probably the nighthaunt model or a store exclusive Stormcast), previewed and at least one of the two books. I think if Idoneth is revealed than there is a small chance that Fyreslayers might be held off for something bigger, whether that be new models or mixed into a soup is the real question?

21 minutes ago, madmac said:

Four flavors of 40k and one flavor of AoS, not getting my hopes up for this preview. Still betting on Book Cover, singular.

They have to announce at least one book though, right? Idoneth has got to be a sure bet. I would say that the new Nighthaunt tome plus that new model are also on the table, since that was already teased over Christmas.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

They have to announce at least one book though, right? Idoneth has got to be a sure bet. I would say that the new Nighthaunt tome plus that new model are also on the table, since that was already teased over Christmas.

When they announced the boxset they said more news was coming for Idoneth and Fyreslayers, which can only really mean Battletomes. My guess is they'll reveal those and maybe the Nighthaunt model, but anything beyond that'll be a bonus.  

• Like 1

I am so excited for another Online Preview. It's a bit disheartening to not have any of the side AOS games on there, wouldve been a great place to Preview the next UW Warband.

Fingers crossed it's more than just the IDK, Fyreslayers tome cover reveals. 

The Nighthaunt model would be a safe bet but I do hope we get more than 1 model reveal. After all it's a model game!!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

I am so excited for another Online Preview. It's a bit disheartening to not have any of the side AOS games on there, wouldve been a great place to Preview the next UW Warband.

Fingers crossed it's more than just the IDK, Fyreslayers tome cover reveals. 

The Nighthaunt model would be a safe bet but I do hope we get more than 1 model reveal. After all it's a model game!!

Yeah very surprising that the next UW Warband won't be previewed since I think most people are assuming it is an April release. Waiting til Adepticon at the end of March seems odd and what are the odds there's another reveal between now and then?

13 minutes ago, Nighthaunt Noob said:

Yeah very surprising that the next UW Warband won't be previewed since I think most people are assuming it is an April release. Waiting til Adepticon at the end of March seems odd and what are the odds there's another reveal between now and then?

There's the Warhammer World 25th Anniversary events at the beginning of March that replaced the usual New Years one from before the pandemic.

After the pretty grim read of their latest report I expect GW is doing some housekeeping. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to some armies moving to legends or end up consolidated into soup lists. Splitting the duardin stuff, for example, is probably seen as a failed experiment by the people at the top. I would like it for FS to keep separate but I'm not going to lose my cool if the reveal is "Battletome: Duardin Grungnikin" or whatever trade-markable name they come up with.

Also makes you wonder just how big the AoS community actually are in terms of numbers since profits often correlates with the amount of attention GW will give a faction or system.

2 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I don't expect we'll see another CoS 'tome again, even if that's just because Dawnbringers end up being the successor to it.

Either way, my take is we won't actually see a followup until the Dispossessed/Wanderer parts of the book have been siphoned off into their own Battletomes - whether that's Dawi Soup/Grungni's thing and Sylvaneth/Kurnothi or just squat'ed entirely - leaving it a largely human book with a more defined theme of "normie humans". 

The 2.0 warclans book was very well received, so I think it would make a lot of sense for them to go that direction with armies when they can. I think tomes like that are fine, although the 3.0 warclans book was half baked. I think they'll get "souped" like that, but also with the dark elves joining malerion/morathi.
Basically CoS will be slowly pieced out over 3e until near the end, when we get a humans line refresh/expansion, although I imagine they'll still get lots of coalition options.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, pnkdth said:

After the pretty grim read of their latest report I expect GW is doing some housekeeping. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to some armies moving to legends or end up consolidated into soup lists. Splitting the duardin stuff, for example, is probably seen as a failed experiment by the people at the top. I would like it for FS to keep separate but I'm not going to lose my cool if the reveal is "Battletome: Duardin Grungnikin" or whatever trade-markable name they come up with.

Also makes you wonder just how big the AoS community actually are in terms of numbers since profits often correlates with the amount of attention GW will give a faction or system.

Personally, I would be surprised if any currently existing army was moved to Legends in its entirety. I can't honestly even think of any candidates for that. I don't really think there is any faction GW would prefer to just completely get rid of.

But I do think that souping books together is really likely. Or rather, back together. I think we are going to be trending back towards faction lines more or less as they were in Warhammer Fantasy this edition. Which might be for the best, anyway, now that Grand Alliance armies are no longer really a thing.

• Like 3