The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Nezzhil said:

My wallet is crying and screaming like a mandrake since yesterday.

With Whitefang's comment it seems our collective wallets get some much-needed rest...

1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:

It's hard for me to get excited about the idea of Chaos Dwarfs in Warcry because it doesn't necessarily mean they'll appear in AoS proper - particularly if their inevitable warscroll just had a <Slaves To Darkness> tag. Sort of like how Goblin Wolf Riders and Kurnothi were in Underworlds, but there has been nary a peep about them potentially showing up in AoS as more than in "Steve the Intern was told to write rules for them on his lunchbreak" style. 

I'm not over the idea of Chaos Dwarfs soon™, even if Warcry might not be the avenue for them. Who knows, maybe Whitefang intended to say "They may be not, but...EVERY other release in 2022 will be Chaos Dwarf related, including 40K and LOTR."

A duardin can dream.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

The Spider God

Thematically on point, but the Broodmaster does not seem like a Destruction guy.

Silent People

See above.

Silent people could have a caste system based on their evolution. Like backbone of the army are ant-like humanoid bugs seen on Underworlds cards. The higher caste could be more human-like specimen like the one seen for WarCry. Maybe some insect only creatures with no humanoid features to be monsters and/or mounts tamed by higher castes.

As for the Spiderfang... If these truly are Silent People with strong spider theme then Spiderfang is dead in terms of new models imho. There is no space for two spider themed armies.

Oh and as for spider - insect distinction. It might be a language thing but in Polish the word "insect" is used to name all the bugs, where spiders (arachnids) are only one group among insects. In other words: all spiders are insects, but not every insect is a spider. And thus maybe spider-like humanoids are only one caste of Silent People.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I was just going to make a post about what the connection of those new spider guys to the established fluff might be. Silent People seem like an option, but I don't think they are it. The main reason being that they are described as insectile, not spiders. Those two things are close, but they are thematically different.

These are the clues I get from the video:

• Eightfold Watcher
  • Hateful Web
  • Ascension
  • Weird swirly eight-pointed star

So who could those guys be related to?

Malerion

He likes watching stuff, so maybe? Not a strong spider connection, though.

The Spider God

Thematically on point, but the Broodmaster does not seem like a Destruction guy.

Silent People

See above.

Some kind of weird c-lister chaos god?

Is this the long awaited return of Malal?

Perhaps it's just me, but the fancy frill and 4 arms put me in mind of Slaaneshi themes. Given that Slaanesh has been cooped up for a while, they could indeed be "the watcher." The helmet/headpiece might even match the shields wielded by the Myrmadesh troops. That said, I don't believe spiders have ever been a strong part of the Slaanesh theme.

Most of the warbands from Warcry latch onto tangential aspects of one or more of the chaos deities, but are not yet committed to any one in particular, and this don't truly grasp what it is they are worshipping. Leaves a LOT of room for interpretation.

34 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

As for the Spiderfang... If these truly are Silent People with strong spider theme then Spiderfang is dead in terms of new models imho. There is no space for two spider themed armies.

Why isn't there space for 2 spider themed armies? 

Why can't non goblins worship the spider god? 

Maybe someone escaped the loon asylum, their mind completely broken but with a new god to worship. Guided by visions and signs they see in spider webs they make their way to the all points, along the way they find followers and other lost souls willing to worship the spider. 

Warcry, as with Underworlds is a great way to explore this weird and wonderful parts of the mortal realms we don't see in regular armies. 

It doesn't mean every release will end up getting its own army or even further releases but it does give great variety, stokes inspiration and gives cool models to look at, paint, collect and play with. 

• Like 5

Seeing how the other warbands so far simply had their own version of the Chaos Gods, I guess the great spider (or whatever it’ll be called) will be one of the big 4. Spiders haven‘t been brought into connection with any of them but if anyone fits, it‘s Tzeentch thematically. Not that I want to claim them for my patron, I don‘t care one bit for spider-people (well, guys dressing like spiders at least… now a man-spider like in spider-man would be rad). But the whole web-theme seems more tzeentchian than say slaaneshi or nurglish in nature… I mean, I was right so far with Cypher Lords, where lunatics tried to argue they were slaaneshi… 😎 

another absolutely amazing analysis by me that noone else could‘ve gotten right: the latest 40k rumour engine is for 40k chaos space marines! 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aeryenn said:

Oh and as for spider - insect distinction. It might be a language thing but in Polish the word "insect" is used to name all the bugs, where spiders (arachnids) are only one group among insects. In other words: all spiders are insects, but not every insect is a spider. And thus maybe spider-like humanoids are only one caste of Silent People.

Interesting. I think in English common usage "insect" is increasingly used to refer to bugs (or at least bugs with legs) rather than just six legged bugs of a specific type, and as English is an evolving language and changes with usage this new less specific/accurate use will become an official definition. I'm curious if in Polish there is a word specifically for what English speakers would call a (six legged) insect? (Obviously I'm sure Polish bug scientists have a word, but I mean in general usage)

Edited by EntMan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chikout said:

Couldn't the eightfold watcher just be Archaon? The whole theme of Warcry is everyone trying to impress him. Could the other warband be a small group of Varanguard on foot, looking to rise up the circles?

I mean every time a new Warcry warband is released everyone jumps to try and find out which of the gods they follow or place them within a specific realm but the reality is always the same. They have been drawn to the Eightpoints due to their draw towards chaos and none of them have a traditional understanding of the Darkpowers, which as you mentioned Archaon then uses to his advantage building a massive army of cultists. I mean at least figuring out what realm they come from is much more interesting as they can at least hint towards aesthetics of their homelands. 

With @Whitefang hinting that the opposing force is not Chaos Duardin is their any chance that they are related to the Varanguard as mentioned in the first preview? I really would like a unit of unmounted Varanguard as a replacement/upgrade for Chosen

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

I mean every time a new Warcry warband is released everyone jumps to try and find out which of the gods they follow or place them within a specific realm but the reality is always the same. They have been drawn to the Eightpoints due to their draw towards chaos and none of them have a traditional understanding of the Darkpowers, which as you mentioned Archaon then uses to his advantage building a massive army of cultists. I mean at least figuring out what realm they come from is much more interesting as they can at least hint towards aesthetics of their homelands. 

If they are Silent People they are from Ghur with links to Beastgrave/Direchasm/other mountains. Would make a lot of sense in the era of the beast. It also fits with the first trailer, it could be about them hibernating.

Edit: i've also wondered why the arachnarok is a monster in warcry, made no sense to me unless they had the spider theme planned already.

Edited by Iksdee
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Iksdee said:

If they are Silent People they are from Ghur with links to Beastgrave/Direchasm/other mountains. Would make a lot of sense in the era of the beast. It also fits with the first trailer, it could be about them hibernating.

Edit: i've also wondered why the arachnarok is a monster in warcry, made no sense to me unless they had the spider theme planned already.

I mean, they gotta sell that superb arachnarok sculpt to someone and the 5 people in the world that still plays spiderfang gitz is not a big enough market...

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

image.jpeg.5a665702d760564a4c08991bb8e2b990.jpeg
Definitely 40K, but I feel like it needed to be posted here anyways.

It looks very similar to the venomcrawler's legs and Abaddon the Despoiler's hand so I am guessing something chaos themed. Maybe the new khorne models or the new rumoured chaos knight although it looks too intricate. Then again I have said all the 40k words I know so I am not a good source for such things. Either way it looks like something chaos to me and thus has piqued my interests.

20 minutes ago, Boingrot Bouncer said:

I mean, they gotta sell that superb arachnarok sculpt to someone and the 5 people in the world that still plays spiderfang gitz is not a big enough market...

Could be, on the other hand  every spiderfang player tends to buy at least 4 lol

• Thanks 1