The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, EonChao said:

I think for now the safe assumption should be Harrowdeep is followed by the 2 separate warbands listed on the timeline, then the next box is followed by 2 more, meaning 1 is missing from the rumour. After the roadmap itself the article says:

"This is all in addition to two further warband releases per season, each with a ready-made Rivals deck, as well as more universal and grand alliance cards to open up even more deck-building opportunities in Championship format."

Which to me implies that those two are in addition to the 6 listed on the roadmap

It depends on how you read it but the two further could just mean the two mention on the roadmap already for the total of 6, If there where two more war band they would have been on the roadmap to begin since it goes all the way to Q2

Edited by novakai

7 hours ago, Adamcbutton said:

That’s a rather Chaosy-looking parrot 

Ah, the Hatchling Bebe Lord of Change 'Crackers, the Spell-Caster" one of the most powerful mages in all of Critters and Keys! I do really hope this is going to be a set featuring the return of Wulfrik the Wanderer. 

If it is a S2D Pirate unit it will feature the special rule, it must be fielded in the Hosts of the Neverchosen.

As for the upcoming set I am not as upset as most others as I love the fact that Killteam is releasing a secondary option for Sisters of Battle vs Tau. I am a fan of more options and I hope the second set is a discount version of Harrowdeep... of course GW gotta GW and it will cost the same or more. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I kept reading a lot of people saying Underworlds was on it's last legs and Harrowdeep would surely be it's last season before being put out to pasture.

I guess these additional releases just proves it's the opposite.

I mean really depends on where you reading and what glasses you put on

What would y'all estimate is the correct ratio for Underworld model sales for the following ? -- used in age of sigmar exclusively  actually used to play underworlds

My guess is like 20:1 . No offense meant to anyone who likes underworlds. Have heard it's a cool game, just never heard of anyone playing it in central US.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zaiko888 said:

What would y'all estimate is the correct ratio for Underworld model sales for the following ? -- used in age of sigmar exclusively  actually used to play underworlds

My guess is like 20:1 . No offense meant to anyone who likes underworlds. Have heard it's a cool game, just never heard of anyone playing it in central US.

I think you'd need more categories:

* Enjoyed as models for an army you don't want to collect

* Used as a "taster" to get a feel for an army before committing

* Used as hero, because the actual hero is more expensive than the team

* Used for alternate sculpts for hero and troops

* Used to play Underworlds

I'm in 1 and 3

I am still lurking on the Underworlds reddit, and there are people that play it (I even sent some of my card sets to them because just the models were available). Price increase and changing the back of cards haven't been good for retaining those players.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, zilberfrid said:

I have seen them used in all these manner except for Underworlds, nobody plays that around here, never seen it or tried it, but the models do appear in AoS games time and again.

Using the models as stand in heroes is quite common, like the FeC box is a nice supplement to make unit champions and courtiers that stand out. The Bonesplitterz team is good for a plastic Wurgog as well as the rest being mixed in, like a savage themed big waagh army, the big boys are good to supplement a converted brute squad. 

Underworlds is the "could have been" category, so close yet so far. The new saurus warrior in the seraphon kit, even blood bowl got new saurus warriors, but none for AoS. Ghouls for FeC, cool new bonesplitterz, Mortek guard with bows, plastic chameleon skinks and the list goes on. Thinking about it, it all seems like one big tease to AoS players, "look how cool we could make these units that only got old/resin kits!", "Wow uncle GW! that is so cool! Does that mean you will release AoS kits later besides these 1 model kits?", "No Jimmy, enjoy your resin chameleon skinks or buy 20 underworld boxes for 32 EUR a piece. Come now, Uncle GW knows a great black market organ dealer".

Gallery of "Imagine if this was from AoS kits and not single models".image.png.cc30397a5ed1bd912f58a1d79bdfd08c.pngimage.png.6113245368aa96fe02d16fd6d293e6e4.pngimage.png.0599ae9ea5e64247d72bc0e6cd4de72f.png

image.png.7f87fa2463032cba05be945118357a26.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I'm in 1 and 3

1, 3 & 4 for me!

WU models are like premium proxy models for your on-foot heroes, unit champions, It can be just a straight upgrade from old resin model. They provide variety for people who like their army and it's something new to paint. 

For a new player it's easier to paint 4 models instead of 24 to get into AoS painting and eventually to get familiar with the setting. IMO GW did a good job with UW, models are great, 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

Ah, the Hatchling Bebe Lord of Change 'Crackers, the Spell-Caster" one of the most powerful mages in all of Critters and Keys! I do really hope this is going to be a set featuring the return of Wulfrik the Wanderer. 

If it is a S2D Pirate unit it will feature the special rule, it must be fielded in the Hosts of the Neverchosen.

As for the upcoming set I am not as upset as most others as I love the fact that Killteam is releasing a secondary option for Sisters of Battle vs Tau. I am a fan of more options and I hope the second set is a discount version of Harrowdeep... of course GW gotta GW and it will cost the same or more. 

I have to say that of all the characters of the old world that could have worked well it was wulfrik and Toarox.

Wulfric because lets face it, seafang's prow was essentially a portable realmgate that you just dialled in your location, and taurox because after biting the head off a herald of khorne he got infused with daemonic essence making him in part daemonkind.

And it would give GW the chacne to make a 150 bones chaos viking marauder  Marauedarkin longhip carrying a war mammoth centrepiece model.

• LOVE IT! 1

4 hours ago, Zaiko888 said:

Depends on the warband.

Crimson Court the ratio was probably correct due to how quickly it sold out; painters, hype for the then unreleased Soulblight Battletome, actual Underworld players, etc.

But beyond that, the number of warbands with AoS rules that actually make them worth taking are definitely in the slim minority. I've barely ever seen them used in AoS games, either as proxies or for their actual rules. 

I barely saw anyone playing Shadespire/Nightvault, but the game really took off locally during Beastgrave and the Warhammer World events were getting bigger every season. Before Covid hit, a lot of stores around me were hosting dedicated nights and events, compared to the other auxiliary GW games which would only occasionally see a spur-of-interest event.

I always think Underworlds are great for alternative sculpts for armies and nice to buy into if you don't want a full army but want something new to paint or try out. These are all probably alt sculpts/experiments which are part of the design process but don't, for whatever reason, make it into full releases- I think its great we can get our paws on them. I think 40k misses out by not having something similar. 

The second box- I like it actually because for me the problem with starter sets is what of you don't like either faction? With new sets released across the year you can find one that suits you better. As long as the war bands don't get stuck in a box and come out separately I think its fine. 

• Like 3

I’ve never played underworlds but I always get the warband for the armies I have as they are cool and add some variety to army hero’s etc. I think it would be better if they just redid a whole unit or added a new unit instead of a mixed bag. Maybe like kill team but make them all new and usable in AOS 

All the S1 boxes were extra sculpts the studio made as alternate minis for AoS units but never released so they got repurposed, so yeah, they do work well for that :D

Got a few underworlds warbands for painting projects and alt models, the game itself is pretty fun but our group was turned off by the deckbuilding after getting burned hard by xwing putting the best cards for a ship in another factions ship box or worse, the pricy big ships box (Look at you C3PO!) but i think the rivals format might actually see some play, thought tbh the price hike is severe enough to stop Harrowdeep being a casual purchase :(

I do wonder if the marketing team used lightning for a warband assuming we would all go "More stormcast? mehhhhh" and then they can go "Oh you assumed it was stormcast?" and its all very tiring :D Gimme the rat ninjas already! 

The original Underworlds models were study models which had been made for various factions, and which the rules guys had kicking around. They wanted to do something with them, so designed a new game to go with them. So basically they were the stage beyond concept art, where different ideas were being played around with, and experimented with. Basically those models have always been made, and were always going to be, but they hadn't historically had a good way to releasing them, especially with fewer small scale hero and champion models than during the metal days.

I would imagine that now that underworlds is popular, they are designing figures specifically for it, rather than just using study models, but its possible that some of the sculpts still originate in the concept-ing stage, and that's why they don't always end up with equivalents on the table for the mass battle game. Its also possible that some of them are a proof of concept for reworking different factions, but the results of that process could be two or three years away.

• Thanks 1

Hello, again me :) What is coming next to WU?

Spoiler

Yes Pirate ogre/maneater is coming with his parrot and monkey
Next warband will be Necromancer and zombies (they have interesting link to lighting bolts :D)
New starter will include Malerion aelves

Human warband=Witch hunters
And yes we are still getting 8 warbands this season.

Edited by Norray
  • Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 15

1 hour ago, Norray said:

Hello, again me :) What is coming next to WU?

Hide contents

Yes Pirate ogre/maneater is coming with his parrot and monkey
Next warband will be Necromancer and zombies (they have interesting link to lighting bolts :D)
New starter will include Malerion aelves

Human warband=Witch hunters
And yes we are still getting 8 warbands this season.

This is beyond epic!! An AOS monkey is going to look insane!! Happy for all the Malerion lovers out there as well!!

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I'm kicking myself for not making the Frankenstein connection with zombies.

Mate I still didn't until you posted this.

• Haha 1