The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Cerlin said:

Seraphon just got one of the best set of new abilities and two battalions. 

How can you make an argument for being neglected again?

I don't want to necessarily get too deep into how Seraphon stack up on a quality level, but compare them to Fyreslayers who received the same amount of content and updates. They are able to provide allies from Order beyond Stormcast and are now eligible for City Allegiance as well. The additional content for Seraphon is fantastic and I'm not complaining about that, but it's strange for them to be the ONLY faction discussed that is not eligible for City Allegiance.

33 minutes ago, Barbossal said:

I don't want to necessarily get too deep into how Seraphon stack up on a quality level, but compare them to Fyreslayers who received the same amount of content and updates. They are able to provide allies from Order beyond Stormcast and are now eligible for City Allegiance as well. The additional content for Seraphon is fantastic and I'm not complaining about that, but it's strange for them to be the ONLY faction discussed that is not eligible for City Allegiance.

Seraphon don't live in cities. :P 

(and if you want to turn it into a measuring contest Seraphon do have 27 warscrolls (including a special character and a gianormas Forge World monster) to the Fyreslayers' 13) ;) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DinoTitanedition said:

Did anyone notice the faction on the store site yet? "The Wraith Fleet" at least confirms the pirate theme. "Stoneclaw`s Gutstompas" might imply, that some orruk faction will get at least a new character model. It sounds like Bonesplittas to me.

The sections are all viewable now: You can see that Stoneclaw's Gutstompas is pretty much all the old and new Orcs/Orruks, Troggoths, Gargants and Goblins/Grots ranges (so GA Destruction with no Ogres). The Wraith Fleet is a huge chunk of the GA Death range. I'd say there won't be new models, or even boxes of old ones, for the "attacking" factions. Just new rules.

• Like 2

New ways to play are fun, for sure. I hope that GW realizes though that they do not take the place of actual army updates with well sculpted models and faction focused rules. 

It seems to me that the initial success of AoS must have had a lot to do with the new units.  I know I went all in on Stormcast. Anyway, I really hope that GW gets back to the release plan they had a year ago or so. 

Because no matter how much you dress it up, a faction that requires 100 usd minimum for a minimum sized battle line unit isn't a faction that I will play, and I don't think I'm alone there. 

Edited by Caladancid
  • Like 6

23 minutes ago, Caladancid said:

Because no matter how much you dress it up, a faction that requires 100 usd minimum for a minimum sized battle line unit isn't a faction that I will play, and I don't think I'm alone there. 

Quoted for truth!  It always helps to look at the Points-To-Dollar ratio on models if one is worried about that.  In my current state, I have to save up a few dollars each week to get anything anymore, including paints and fresh brushes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sheriff said:

Wait so my mixed moonclan spiderfang troggoth army has a new choice of allegiance?!

My understanding is that if you qualify for the rules in Firestorm, it's on top of your allegiance.

So you pick an allegiance to build your army around, this could be IRONJAWZ or it could be GREENSKINZ or even DESTRUCTION. Then once you've built your army, if all the models in your army qualify for a Great Cities (or other allegiance ability from Firestorm), then you get that as a bonus on top of your regular allegiance abilities.

So in your case, you would get the DESTRUCTION abilities and you could use Stoneclaw`s Gutstompas as well as long as all the models in your army quality for that allegiance ability.

As for Wraithfleet. My gut reaction was not impressed, until I remembered you get your regular allegiance abilities as well. So it's kinda cool and interesting, but definitely this one feels more 'fluffy' than anything. It would be nice if they bought out the old Vampire Pirates models as Made to Order (Something we don't see very often for AoS). 

On 9/19/2017 at 2:21 PM, Double Misfire said:

Looks like Greywater Fastness is likely to get warmachines that shoot in the hero phase.

Fyi you can check my post history and my army's been from there since the Season of War campaign. The rest of you are the people that piggybacked Iron Warriors when they got to take a Basilisk and nine Obliterators. ;) 

Now that the webstore lets you sort models by Season of War: Firestorm allegiance (thanks @DinoTitanedition!) it looks like the factions for Greywater Fastness are Stormcast, Ironweld Arsenal, Free People, Collegiate Arcane, and Wanderers. I would have really expected Dispossessed instead of Wanderers myself, just based on the couple paragraphs of lore from the first Season of War release. Especially the bit where "trees were felled by the hundred, and the region's resources were plundered to fuel the lightning-fast growth growth of the Greywater Fastness. The children of Alarielle looked on in horror at this rapacious industry, some even coming to blows with their erstwhile allies in their sorrow and anger." And the Eldritch Council are mentioned by name in the fluff on the same page but are also notably absent. It almost seems as if the factions for each allegiance might have been chosen more for rule-writing reasons than for lore reasons, and if that's true maybe including Wanderers means the allegiance will allow not just warmachines but all units a chance to shoot in the hero phase? I think  the jury is clearly still out on how people feel about all these new allegiances for matched play, but what has me most excited for Firestorm is the potential for a bit more background on the mortal forces of AoS.

I noticed that nine Firestorm allegiances are available to sort models by on the GW webstore right now, but ten were mentioned in the Community post. Think the Phoenicium is the absentee here. 

Edited by awcamawn
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, someone2040 said:

My understanding is that if you qualify for the rules in Firestorm, it's on top of your allegiance.

So you pick an allegiance to build your army around, this could be IRONJAWZ or it could be GREENSKINZ or even DESTRUCTION. Then once you've built your army, if all the models in your army qualify for a Great Cities (or other allegiance ability from Firestorm), then you get that as a bonus on top of your regular allegiance abilities.

So in your case, you would get the DESTRUCTION abilities and you could use Stoneclaw`s Gutstompas as well as long as all the models in your army quality for that allegiance ability.

As for Wraithfleet. My gut reaction was not impressed, until I remembered you get your regular allegiance abilities as well. So it's kinda cool and interesting, but definitely this one feels more 'fluffy' than anything. It would be nice if they bought out the old Vampire Pirates models as Made to Order (Something we don't see very often for AoS). 

Thanks for this, its making more sense now. 

So am I right in thinking that these are for use in all matched-play, tournaments, etc? e.g. GW has looked at some of the weaker allegiances post GH2017 and decided to buff them with an extra ability? 

Or will the community see this as an unfair buff that many allegiances are shut out of and therefore it won't be used in matched-play? 

51 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

Thanks for this, its making more sense now. 

So am I right in thinking that these are for use in all matched-play, tournaments, etc? e.g. GW has looked at some of the weaker allegiances post GH2017 and decided to buff them with an extra ability? 

Or will the community see this as an unfair buff that many allegiances are shut out of and therefore it won't be used in matched-play? 

I think we need to wait until we have the book in our hand as we're not entirely sure if there are any extra rules that come with the Firestorm allegiances :)  Really looking forward to it!  Love a good map campaign

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

I think we need to wait until we have the book in our hand as we're not entirely sure if there are any extra rules that come with the Firestorm allegiances :)  Really looking forward to it!  Love a good map campaign

Hopefully I can just use the ability without buying the Forestorm box. Don't need a campaign as I have no local warhammer friends yet, and have Total War for campaings anyway :D

On 9/21/2017 at 10:48 AM, Caladancid said:

You're probably not alone, but given the luxury/premium nature of hobby wargaming,  it always strikes me as odd when I see fussing over such relatively small amounts needed to spend on the basics of an army. 

I'm not wealthy by any means, but $100 for a few units of dudes? Seems fair to me. 

Anyone else notice this? The Warhammer Community announcement post said "Firestorm comes with 10 new allegiance abilities representing the unique armies of the Great Cities and those who would tear them down." But now that it's listed for preorder on the webstore for certain countries, Firestorms product description reads "There are also 9 sets of Allegiance Abilities for use in the campaign – 6 of these represent the major Sigmarite cities found on the map, with one each for the forces of Death, Destruction and Chaos. These include battle traits, command traits and artifacts of power for your armies to use."

Only nine allegiances then? Phoenicium allegiance got axed? It's not listed among the nine Firestorm allegiances you can sort models by, despite the Community announcement mentioning them by name: "The new allegiance abilities are designed to represent how these cities fight; the forces of the Phonecium, for instance, are inspired to fight harder by the deaths of their comrades, honouring the Ur-Phoenix..."

Also the new allegiances do actually include command traits and artifacts and can be used in tandem with another set of allegiance abilities? I thought it was just a single battletrait for each and that was it, huh.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Season-Of-War-Firestorm-2017-eng

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/17/firestorm-the-armies-of-the-great-cities-and-the-elite-of-the-death-guard/

What is happening with the Gyrocopter in the Tempest's eye box?  The allegiance ability is not available to Ironweld Arsenal based on the pdf in the Australian GW site...

Do we expect an updated Gyrocopter / Gyrobomber warscroll with the Dispossessed keyword or Ironweld was mistakenly excluded from the Tempest Eye allegiance?

8 hours ago, Sleboda said:

You're probably not alone, but given the luxury/premium nature of hobby wargaming,  it always strikes me as odd when I see fussing over such relatively small amounts needed to spend on the basics of an army. 

I'm not wealthy by any means, but $100 for a few units of dudes? Seems fair to me. 

I believe they were referring to Blood Knights from Soulblight, which is ONE 5 man unit for $100. THAT is ridiculous.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flamingwalnut said:

I believe they were referring to Blood Knights from Soulblight, which is ONE 5 man unit for $100. THAT is ridiculous.

Yeah that is right.  I think @Sleboda you are right that you assume some level of expense by having an expensive hobby.  It may seem ridiculous to not blink an eye at Dracothian Guard but be upset about this, but these are batteline core units vs an option.  And before this goes too far off the rumor train, my point is that adding another way to collect or play Blood Knights isn't the thing I've been waiting for to buy them.

Although, as I look through the website this morning that unit isn't there at all.  Maybe, just maybe, dreams can come true!