The Rumour Thread

You know, seeing another kinda generic bunch of models made for Stormcast (archers look pretty cool with capes and without masks though, not gonna lie, this new direction is much better) makes me wish GW would stop making models for them at least until the next edition and instead would give existing ones better rules and would give new models to factions that are desperately in need of those.

Stromcast are not even close to Space marines status, so giving them so many redundant models hurts both AoS as a whole and Stormcast players in particular. The more models your faction have, the bigger chance for them to be redundant, forgotten or even squatted over time. And considering how fast Stormcast range gets expanded and without much of internal rebalancing, this does not look good for them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Zeblasky said:

You know, seeing another kinda generic bunch of models made for Stormcast (archers look pretty cool with capes and without masks though, not gonna lie, this new direction is much better) makes me wish GW would stop making models for them at least until the next edition and instead would give existing ones better rules and would give new models to factions that are desperately in need of those.

Stromcast are not even close to Space marines status, so giving them so many redundant models hurts both AoS as a whole and Stormcast players in particular. The more models your faction have, the bigger chance for them to be redundant, forgotten or even squatted over time. And considering how fast Stormcast range gets expanded and without much of internal rebalancing, this does not look good for them.

My big worry is that every edition GW is going to come out with a new refresh and redesign of Stormcast that end up replacing the last one in an attempt to find an aesthetic that finally sticks and makes them AoS' Space Marines.

I don't think it's ever going to happen and Stormcast had enough models before even the Sacrosanct release. Now half their range is completely redundant and they have more heroes than some armies have units total.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, KriticalKhan said:

My big worry is that every edition GW is going to come out with a new refresh and redesign of Stormcast that end up replacing the last one in an attempt to find an aesthetic that finally sticks and makes them AoS' Space Marines.

I don't think it's ever going to happen and Stormcast had enough models before even the Sacrosanct release. Now half their range is completely redundant and they have more heroes than some armies have units total.

I mean this latest wave of releases suggests they'll continue to push SCE as Space Marines until they're crushed under the weight of their SKUs. As a SCE player it kinda makes me cringe to think that we may already be nearing the end of life for the first wave of figures after only a few years.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KriticalKhan said:

One of the benifits of AoS is its plethora of diverse factions. The 40k group in my area, over half of them play some variety of Space Marines.  I've even spoke to some that are jealous of our army diversity.

I dont think forcing SCE's down our throats and trying to artificially create the next Space Marines is the best course of action. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KriticalKhan said:

And just in time before people start converting their old SCE to new warscrolls, GW starts discouraging proxying.

I really prefer the clean, well proportioned new Stormcasts.

-> Very nice new Stormcasts imo

Yet I have to agree that I don‘t want any 40K-esque SCE (Knight Relictor aka Blood Angels Chaplain). And they really need to stop the flood of heroes, especially the flooding of Hammers of Sigmar with named heroes while other hosts have none.

-> More named heroes for every Stormhost except HoS. Stop the hero flood.

I also have to admit that I‘ll hold off buying the new SCE for quite a while since I strongly dislike at which pace Battletomes and Models become outdated and redundant. Long term this shortened lifecycle will hurt the hobby in a big way.

-> We need way longer lifecycles if Editions, Models and Battletomes

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 2

My guess would be that they'll slowly cycle out the old stuff - either completely or via resculpts. The latter would be my idea. They create the new Thundersomethingsomething and the next wave will bring updated Liberators etc. that now *also* have thunder something armor. 

And frankly, the old ones look pretty bad compared to the new ones, so please, update to your hearts content =D.

I agree it's a bit silly with stormcast. Unless we see massive changes not only are the wave one stormcast totally outdated but probably the wave two releases as well.

Plus the new units they showed off make this problem even worse. Yet more battleline and small heroes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, King Under the Mountain said:

I dont think forcing SCE's down our throats and trying to artificially create the next Space Marines is the best course of action. 

Yep, it is a bad idea. The sooner GW realises their mistake, the better it will be for all of us. I hope that other factions sucess (like Lumineth) and as well as overall factions diverse popularity will kill flagship faction mindset. They can push Stormcast only as far as they sell. When they will finally see, that this is not a profitable strategy and making models for other races gives them more money, they will do it.

• Like 3

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they start to cycle out the old Stormcast once we hit 4th edition, and I do see a certain logic to it:

Firstly, they're going to want to unify the aesthetic. The new design for SCE looks distinctly different (despite doing a good job of clearly belonging to the same faction), and now enjoys a visual identity distinct from its "fantasy space marines" roots, which they're going to want to double down on.

Second, the original models weren't made with a balanced game in mind, and the plethora of build options and optional weapon profiles that can be taken or added into a unit (and the resulting number of wars rolls) make them a trial to point and balance for play (especially since wargear isn't pointed in AoS - which I'm not complaining about.)

Finally, whether we like it or not, they're going to keep releasing new models, and they'll need to free up the design space to give everything its own role and home without causing too much redundancy.

I tend to agree with everyone here that SCE are bloated with models, and that fazing out a model range that is so new (7 years old come 4th edition) would be poorly received, particularly when there are so many other ranges that would benefit from that kind of attention.

GW seems to be trying to find a Space Marines equivalent for AoS. They're obviously pushing it hard with SCE, but I had the distinct impression that they were testing the waters with Lumineth when they released them. A lot of the language used in the faction tome and articles heralded their arrival as a huge shift in power for Order, and the rapid release of the Wind Temple echoed the Stormcast releases of old.

End of the day, I'm always happy to add more models to my Stormcast collection, and I don't give a fig about redundancy (though that's obviously a personal opinion that has no bearing on how others view the matter.) I just like having the build diversity.

To stay on topic, I think we've seen most of what's in store for the new SCE. Mounted units are really the only thing left, so Drake's and pegasus are still in the running.

The KruelBoyz are missing a "standard" cav option (the speculated wolf-cav come to mind), and don't seem to have a small elite melee unit in their ranks yet. I wouldn't be surprised by one or two more heroes either.

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they start to cycle out the old Stormcast once we hit 4th edition, and I do see a certain logic to it:

Firstly, they're going to want to unify the aesthetic. The new design for SCE looks distinctly different (despite doing a good job of clearly belonging to the same faction), and now enjoys a visual identity distinct from its "fantasy space marines" roots, which they're going to want to double down on.

Second, the original models weren't made with a balanced game in mind, and the plethora of build options and optional weapon profiles that can be taken or added into a unit (and the resulting number of wars rolls) make them a trial to point and balance for play (especially since wargear isn't pointed in AoS - which I'm not complaining about.)

Finally, whether we like it or not, they're going to keep releasing new models, and they'll need to free up the design space to give everything its own role and home without causing too much redundancy.

I tend to agree with everyone here that SCE are bloated with models, and that fazing out a model range that is so new (7 years old come 4th edition) would be poorly received, particularly when there are so many other ranges that would benefit from that kind of attention.

GW seems to be trying to find a Space Marines equivalent for AoS. They're obviously pushing it hard with SCE, but I had the distinct impression that they were testing the waters with Lumineth when they released them. A lot of the language used in the faction tome and articles heralded their arrival as a huge shift in power for Order, and the rapid release of the Wind Temple echoed the Stormcast releases of old.

End of the day, I'm always happy to add more models to my Stormcast collection, and I don't give a fig about redundancy (though that's obviously a personal opinion that has no bearing on how others view the matter.) I just like having the build diversity.

To stay on topic, I think we've seen most of what's in store for the new SCE. Mounted units are really the only thing left, so Drake's and pegasus are still in the running.

The KruelBoyz are missing a "standard" cav option (the speculated wolf-cav come to mind), and don't seem to have a small elite melee unit in their ranks yet. I wouldn't be surprised by one or two more heroes either.

Mouth of Mork on the Wyvern/Hawk model with a generic build as well seems likely to me. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chikout said:

This story certainly seems to hint at a new kit. Maybe both the Kruleboyz and the Stormcast will get flying cavalry. 

Kruelboyz will get some sort of bat pterodactyl sort of thing I think. Going with the sort of messed up prehistoric evolutionary mistake thing they have going on.

Re the wider SCE discussion and their unnecessary ubiquity- thing is its Age of Sigmar, Sigmar and his general futility is the one driving the narrative and his guys nee to be there to either progress the story, or be beat up on while someone else does.

*That's* the real comparison to the Space Marines. It's not about what they look like, its about the purpose they serve as an anchor for all the wackiness and cool stuff to evolve around. They're the straight man to allow the charisma of others to shine. AOS would be too diffuse without that sort of staid, vanilla protagonist.

Edited by Nos
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nos said:

Kruelboyz will get some sort of bat pterodactyl sort of thing I think. Going with the sort of messed up prehistoric evolutionary mistake thing they have going on.

The warcom story posted talk about monstrous vultures-things and we already saw some rumor engine with vultures.

So...vultures riders?

Edited by Snorri Nelriksson
  • Like 2

2021-02-16.jpg

2020-09-29.jpg

Story refers to the Vultures as Corpse Rippers!! The spike under the larger Vulture fits in with the Kruelboyz and I could see the smaller one being on the base of the Mouth of Mork who we now know is called Gobsprakk!!

Edited by KingBrodd
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

2 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

2021-02-16.jpg

2020-09-29.jpg

Story refers to the Vultures as Corpse Ripppers!! The spike under the larger Vulture fits in with the Kruelboyz and I could see the smaller one being on the base of the Mouth of Mork who we now know is called Gobsprakk!!

He probably gonna be a big centerpiece model of the Kruleboyz, so maybe those small vultures will be the decoration around the big vulture-wyvern!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

He probably gonna be a big centerpiece model of the Kruleboyz, so maybe those small vultures will be the decoration around the big vulture-wyvern!

100% since those monster we got so far are more in size with Akhelian King. We need something BIG !

• Like 1