The Rumour Thread

4 minutes ago, Enoby said:

It seems GW is really leaky at the moment, much moreso than before. 

I do think leaks mixed with sparse drip feeding of info leads to more anxiety and less hype

I would assume that this is pandemic related? Namely that many of these products would likely have been released by the time they are announced, so it is harder to keep a lid on things?

• Like 1

Does anyone know a ritual to summon whitefang to your post? I don't need the winning lottery numbers but I am distressed by the fact I can't run a brass despoilers army anymore. All of a sudden I have a bunch of useless khorne stuff (heroes, terrain, prayers) that I just cant use and it would be a real relief to know that GW at least knows that removing batallions invalidated any beasts of GOD armies and have a fix incoming. Even just "you can ally GOD units" would be fine but it's currently really dampened my excitement to continue working on my converted Beasts of Khorne army.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Televiper11 said:

A good reminder to never get too emotionally attached to your army. 

Except that's kinda the whole business model?  Without that emotional investment, folks wouldn't be spending lots of money and even more time to collect, build, and paint their armies. 

Not everything's useable forever (that would eventually sink the game) but it's understandable that people want to know what's happening with their armies.  Battalions that allowed cross-army collections are a good example.

Edited by Gemzo
grammar
  • Like 22

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Televiper11 said:

Harsh, but mostly true. 

I've had a couple of armies invalidated after a change in previous 40k or Fantasy editions. I'm also fully expecting my Legion of Azgorh force to be invalidated under AoS 3.0

At least my Ironjawz is generic enough that it should be around for some time. 

In other news, I am quite sad about the official stance GW has taken against 3D printed conversion parts. 

I totally get not wanting full 3D printed models in an official tournament, but it does suck that small conversions that could not be done with GW official stuff cannot be used in tournaments or White Dwarf, despite the rest of the model being GW official.

Looks like most of my army will never see White Dwarf due to some head conversions :(

20210223_170315.jpg

20210224_155247.jpg

20210327_142118.jpg

20210329_134706.jpg

20210501_204953.jpg

Edited by Enoby
  • Like 9
  • Sad 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

21 minutes ago, SunStorm said:

Harsh, but mostly true. 

I've had a couple of armies invalidated after a change in previous 40k or Fantasy editions. I'm also fully expecting my Legion of Azgorh force to be invalidated under AoS 3.0

I was right there with you with LoA. Sold them off as soon as it became clear they were getting squatted. Kept a few sentimental models for my display case. 

And it happened previously too with Swifthawk Agents. So I treat armies as investments in fun but not as emotional attachments. Seraphon were my first project but I may sell them off soon too.

Edited by Televiper11
Added Seraphon
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Does anyone know a ritual to summon whitefang to your post? I don't need the winning lottery numbers but I am distressed by the fact I can't run a brass despoilers army anymore. All of a sudden I have a bunch of useless khorne stuff (heroes, terrain, prayers) that I just cant use and it would be a real relief to know that GW at least knows that removing batallions invalidated any beasts of GOD armies and have a fix incoming. Even just "you can ally GOD units" would be fine but it's currently really dampened my excitement to continue working on my converted Beasts of Khorne army.

I know it isn't the same thing, but keep in mind that you can still use warscroll battalions in anything that isn't matched play. Unless your gaming group is super hardcore I can't imagine they wouldn't be ok with just letting you run a warscroll battalion in a quasi matched play game either, it's not like Brass Despoilers was running the top tables or anything. 

• Like 1

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Televiper11 said:

I was right there with you with LoA. Sold them off as soon as it became clear they were getting squatted. Kept a few sentimental models for my display case. 

And it happened previously too with Swifthawk Agents. So I treat armies as investments in fun but not as emotional attachments. Seraphon were my first project but I may sell them off soon too.

They can take my rules, but they can never take my lovely miniatures. I've got the painted ones on display in my cabinet and that won't be changing for some time. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Enoby said:

In other news, I am quite sad about the official stance GW has taken against 3D printed conversion parts. 

I totally get not wanting full 3D printed models in an official tournament, but it does suck that small conversions that could not be done with GW official stuff cannot be used in tournaments or White Dwarf, despite the rest of the model being GW official.

Looks like most of my army will never see White Dwarf due to some head conversions :(

20210223_170315.jpg

20210224_155247.jpg

20210327_142118.jpg

20210329_134706.jpg

20210501_204953.jpg

It's not a new rule tho, has always been the case in GW stores and events, even when I worked in GW retail over 20 years ago (damn I'm old lol).

Nor is it unreasonable. A company wanting to promote their products in their shops and events is just good practice. 

You don't see Apple giving other tech companies free promos or McDonald's selling their meals with burger King fries. 

Love your army BTW!! 

Back to rumours, I wonder if they'll do sprays based on the new paint colours. Can see the new brown as a basecoat being useful for painting the Kruelboyz

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

I know it isn't the same thing, but keep in mind that you can still use warscroll battalions in anything that isn't matched play. Unless your gaming group is super hardcore I can't imagine they wouldn't be ok with just letting you run a warscroll battalion in a quasi matched play game either, it's not like Brass Despoilers was running the top tables or anything. 

Yeah we'll almost definitely be running a path to glory campaign so they'll still get table time for sure. I'm caught up in the bias for matched play though because I play so rarely that I would say I'm still learning the rules so it's easiest if I'm learning one set of rules without all the exceptions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

It's not a new rule tho, has always been the case in GW stores and events, even when I worked in GW retail over 20 years ago (damn I'm old lol).

Nor is it unreasonable. A company wanting to promote their products in their shops and events is just good practice. 

You don't see Apple giving other tech companies free promos or McDonald's selling their meals with burger King fries. 

Love your army BTW!! 

Back to rumours, I wonder if they'll do sprays based on the new paint colours. Can see the new brown as a basecoat being useful for painting the Kruelboyz

I should say, they've made a firmer stance on it - they've specifically made reference to 3rd party stuff in the past, but it was murkier with 3D printing as it's different to buying another company's model and merging them. Now they have very specifically made a stance on 3D printed parts (unless sculpted by yourself). 

I do understand why on one hand, because you're right that they want to advertise their full product. But on the other hand, I'm using 99% of their model and just using a 3D printed head - marketing wise, I don't see how it's different from me using one of my greenstuff heads (which they would allow). Note, these 3D sculpts are free from an individual - no company would benefit from someone using them. 

I think it would be more akin to someone using an Apple product with a non-official phone case that's not made by any specific company. The product is the same, but the extra isn't official. It's not advertising for a competitor, and it (hopefully) doesn't make the product look worse.

Thank you :) I still have some that can be used, but it does make me cautious about being experimental with modelling in the future. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I should say, they've made a firmer stance on it - they've specifically made reference to 3rd party stuff in the past, but it was murkier with 3D printing as it's different to buying another company's model and merging them. Now they have very specifically made a stance on 3D printed parts (unless sculpted by yourself). 

I do understand why on one hand, because you're right that they want to advertise their full product. But on the other hand, I'm using 99% of their model and just using a 3D printed head - marketing wise, I don't see how it's different from me using one of my greenstuff heads (which they would allow). Note, these 3D sculpts are free from an individual - no company would benefit from someone using them. 

I think it would be more akin to someone using an Apple product with a non-official phone case that's not made by any specific company. The product is the same, but the extra isn't official. It's not advertising for a competitor, and it (hopefully) doesn't make the product look worse.

Thank you :) I still have some that can be used, but it does make me cautious about being experimental with modelling in the future. 

So i guess you are just good in sculpting if you go to an official tournament 😉

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Dukeus said:

So i guess you are just good in sculpting if you go to an official tournament 😉

29 minutes ago, Enoby said:

(unless sculpted by yourself).

I think the official rule is that the 3d printer parts have to not be generally commercially available. If you commission someone else to make the STL files for you and then use them for your personal use that's still OK, but if the parts or files can be bought by anyone on a website then that's a no-go.

2 hours ago, silverstu said:

I hope they release a black library compilation of these White Dwarf/Grungni stories soon they sound great. 

Mate I really really really want this, I cant justify the price or space of Whote Dwarf (I prefer physical to digital) so I hope they're collected into the Wandering tales of Grungni or the like. 

2 hours ago, Deakz28 said:

After indomitus came on release day they did a celebration stream where they revealed further out products, I could see this happening for us on the 3rd of July :) 

Yeeeeees!! Was that just for the Marines and Necrons? Or other armies as well?

• Like 2

Here's hoping they look at this faction/battletome issue soon and not leave forces containing e.g. Blades of Khorne units, Khronate StD units and Khornate beastmen battalions in a weird limbo, as though they're allies or "an army that is made up of two or more factions" which can't use any allegiance abilities.

I seriously doubt that they intend for StD to lose its place as a collection of units that can be slotted right into the four god-specific armies when that was something they pushed so heavily since the start of AoS in order to sell all those kits to Khorne/Nurgle/Tzeentch/Slaanesh players. Allies would be a step down and of course BoC are in a real tricky spot given how tied they are to their god-specific battalions.

Realistically it should be a handy FAQ/errata style fix, just clarifying that the faction is 'Khorne' or whatever rather than the specific battletome.

1 hour ago, Televiper11 said:

1 hour ago, SunStorm said:

Harsh, but mostly true. 

Being invalidated with newer rules doesn't prevent you from using old rules in casual games though. If people still play WHFB 8th edition to the point that 9th Age is a thing, there's no reason why you can't play LoA in older AOS rules. There is a level of attachment that is bad sure, because GW is... GW. But if you don't actually enjoy Your Dudes I don't see why you'd spend hundreds of dollars on an army, alongside dozens or hundreds of hours building and painting them? I dunno, I sold all of my unbuilt/unpainted models so I get that part. However, I could never get rid of the original Lizardmen and Guard I've painted because they have too much sentimental value + I am proud of even the models that have rougher paint jobs.

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

20210223_170315.jpg

20210224_155247.jpg

20210327_142118.jpg

20210329_134706.jpg

20210501_204953.jpg

Sorry @Enoby, fate be a cruel sonnuva gun(it's why I stopped playing Tzeentch). Know that your army is appreciated here though, and is an inspiration to us all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

Mate I really really really want this, I cant justify the price or space of Whote Dwarf (I prefer physical to digital) so I hope they're collected into the Wandering tales of Grungni or the like. 

Yeeeeees!! Was that just for the Marines and Necrons? Or other armies as well?

This is when they showed off the new tank, flayed ones and possibly silent king and stuff, so I think this is when we will see the ork centre piece and there will probably be a surprise or two! Oh and they did a mini teaser trailer which showed small parts of various models from different factions and showed one battle sister at the end, this included the now revealed beast snaggas ork, lelith and the skitarii marshal, so we will get a tease, but honestly it’s so vague, the only thing is it’s easy to tell what faction they’re from but that’s it :) hopefully shadow elves will be teased, even if super vague 

Edited by Deakz28
  • LOVE IT! 1

14 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

@Enoby just say that you made those conversions with green stuff xD (which is fine because reasons)

It's not an issue of 3d printing or green stuff...

If I sculpt something with green stuff, then make a mold and cast more copies in green stuff and sell it on my website, those parts are also not allowed for conversion. 

Conversely if you design your own digital 3d parts, print them, and use them, that's fine. 

The fundamental question is: are you giving someone other than GW money for this hobby? 

2 hours ago, Gemzo said:

Not everything's useable forever (that would eventually sink the game) but it's understandable that people want to know what's happening with their armies.  Battalions that allowed cross-army collections are a good example.

Don't know if I fully like the sentiment. I think the main and entry level format (matched play from the latest edition in the case of AoS) should be a rotating rule set - like it is. But I kinda wish there was some kind of thought how to play and combine certain features. Would it be a "broken" casual format? Yes. Would it be fun in 10 years time to have some rules for my future boomer self to play with combination of books and  rules from several editions and from books I bought? Also yes. Combining warscroll battalions and their effects with some future game systems (such as the new realm oriented battalions) and with realm artifacts or anvil of apotheosis could be a very fun mode for some part of the playerbase imo. 

In MTG there is a way for me to be nostalgic and play different formats and decades old cards - and I will admit it is easier for MTG to work in that way - but why is it ok for people to just buy rule sets/content that will be completely invalidated in just some years. Hundreds of dollars. All those freight ship emissions and physical books being hauled across half of the planert to be useless in a blink of an eye. 

With tabletop gaming and nerdy stuff becoming more and more mainstream/popular maybe there should be a consideration for nostalgia/longevity of rule sets? 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

With Pre Orders going live this weekend, what are the chances the article that goes up Previews more Models for either side? Or on Sunday we get an announcement for an Online Preview on the 26th?

I remember well the rumor hype going around Indomitus and the new Necron and Primaris ranges last year, with leaked pictures and arts "stolen" from the at-that-time new 40k website ... I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE MORE FOR SCE AND KRULEBOYZ, also give me drakes pls:P

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1