The Rumour Thread

4 minutes ago, Overread said:

I'm sure someone guessed it right but you've several thousand people commenting and pretty much everything gets thrown at the wall in a twitch chat. So you'll like as not have a million suggestions as to possible factions. 

They just said that some people were close to guessing what he will be etc and lots of people were in the complete opposite direction.

2 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Warhammer Weekly had a good take of what centerpiece model might be coming:

Abyssal Terror (look it up for Warhammer fantasy)

I'm not sure this will happen (although a new abyssal terror would be amazing).

In the lore abyssal terrors were an 'okay' mount, a step below dragons but above the horses etc. They took the form of whatever the vampire wanted it to look like (this is all from memory) - and the 'dread abyssal' mounts of the current mortarchs are much more powerful versions of the abyssal terrors. I think it would be strange for a half-decent mount to return as a big centrepiece, presumably more powerful than the dragons if it did return as a centrepiece.

I hope we do get an awesome centrepiece but also I'm assuming we won't. We already have zombie dragons, the mortarchs (assuming at least manny and neffy move over), nagash (possibly), vhordrai etc. And yes a lot of them don't really fit the role of 'centrepiece', but still.

I'm also hoping we get a new character a bit like the new sigvald for slaanesh, quite a low costing, powerful vampire lord would be amazing - like a soulblight arch regent.

What I hope for is that Kragnos opens up a faction that is not related in any way to either existing factions, races, or the Old World.  I'd like this to be something completely unique to AOS - something we've yet to see.  AOS, I feel, is old enough now to begin to create its own races and forge its own paths.

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

What I hope for is that Kragnos opens up a faction that is not related in any way to either existing factions, races, or the Old World.  I'd like this to be something completely unique to AOS - something we've yet to see.  AOS, I feel, is old enough now to begin to create its own races and forge its own paths.

That’s what I’m hoping 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ghoooouls said:

In the lore abyssal terrors were an 'okay' mount, a step below dragons but above the horses etc. They took the form of whatever the vampire wanted it to look like

Imagine having that power and choosing a derpy triceratops with wings. Vampire Counts, why don't you take a look over at what Tomb Kings are doing te next time you imagine a monster into existence 😉 

Jokes aside, a new abyssal terror would be cool. But I personally think a completely new centerpiece idea would be even more fun. They would have to redesign the abyssal terror a lot, anyway, might as well do something completely fresh.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

look at the cover of the gravelords battle tome and see the dire wolf by his side and the dragon  behind him... :)

That dire wolf looks amazing but it's SO SMALL in the artwork haha! Hopefully the models (if we get new ones) are bigger than knee-high dogs

I feel like Kurnothi are coming and that centaur guy hints at it. They have done a fair bit of lore building around Kurnothi over the last year or two and Cursed City also brings in another model.

It doesn't make sense to me from a brand perspective to introduce Kurnothi and then release new "beast people" that look similar to but aren't Kurnothi. 

That said, Kragnos sounds like something different. So I'm thinking possibly a new faction for destruction vs Kurnothi as the start of aos 3?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, NorthernNurgling said:

Also, I didn't watch the Twitch stream but they did say someone in that chat guessed correctly what faction Kragnos was linked to. Does this give a shortlist of likely candidates or was it like 3 dozen guesses at once?

Personally I would LOVE Beasts of Chaos to get a revamp - even a little one where we get new kits of Centigor, Shaggoth, etc. The only problem I could see is that I've always loved the BoC aesthetic and I worry that GW might give them the Lumineth treatment (i.e. take a bizarre sidestep in a new direction).

And before anyone flames me about Lumineth, I'm allowed to not like them!

I feel that we are already seeing the direction for Beasts of Chaos and it flies in the face of what people have been hoping/speculating in regards to them becoming a destruction faction. We are slowly getting a roll out of the God Specific beasts Tzaangors, Slaangors and now we need updates for Khornegors and Pestigors. This goes against the lore of God specific beasts being rare but it is also further tying the faction into the Chaos Grand Alliance. So maybe something can occur narratively or they require certain generals to be battleline*.

I think that we will continue to see Gors of all shapes and sizes fulfilling a core role in the faction with God Specific beasts fulfilling niche or specialized roles. I also have argued countless times that Chaos needs to better work out its ally rules to reduce redundancies. I frequently see people playing Beast of Chaos and Slaves to Darkness but more often as HoS, DoT, BoK and MoN. I think rather than tying things to keywords they should use marks and have 1/4 rule like with Cities of Sigmar. Your general's mark provides 1/4 allies with a shared mark and non-god specific Beasts will be marked Undivided.   

*I believe this is currently the case with Tzaangors.

Edited by Neverchosen

WIth regards to the cover: I don't think battletome art relates directly to model releases like that, the artists have freedom to repose and add detail that isnt there. I assume they just use the model as a starting point.

There are artworks of terrorgheists in tomes that look way better than the actual model for example  and those came out years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Svalack said:

WIth regards to the cover: I don't think battletome art relates directly to model releases like that, the artists have freedom to repose and add detail that isnt there. I assume they just use the model as a starting point.

There are artworks of terrorgheists in tomes that look way better than the actual model for example  and those came out years ago.

Unless the dragon rider is a named character, or a new Mortarch, I am inclined to agree that it is simply artistic licence. Although I do think it likely indicates a new Dire Wolf release. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, SirSalabean said:

They just said that some people were close to guessing what he will be etc and lots of people were in the complete opposite direction.

Yeah - I looked and basically the guesses went 2 ways, the same as here, Kurnothi or Beastmen/shaggoths so who knows. There must have hints of something coming as they usually seed an idea of something coming? There are arguments for both - Kurnothi have been appearing and have been battling Gravelords, but AoS 3 looks to be Destruction centric so it could be a new Destruction beast army. I haven't a clue really between the two, my hope that he is an older Hunter god who will adopt the Kurnothi as his own since he's lost his own people. Equally though the new destruction faction could open things up more. 

On the Vamp cover - it is excellent and I'd love to see Direwolves done like the one on the cover, someone also seemed to spot a mounted /winged model in the background of the video- maybe that Abyssal Terror or a Winged Nightmare. I expect there's more to be seen for the Vamps..

3 minutes ago, silverstu said:

Yeah - I looked and basically the guesses went 2 ways, the same as here, Kurnothi or Beastmen/shaggoths so who knows. There must have hints of something coming as they usually seed an idea of something coming? There are arguments for both - Kurnothi have been appearing and have been battling Gravelords, but AoS 3 looks to be Destruction centric so it could be a new Destruction beast army. I haven't a clue really between the two, my hope that he is an older Hunter god who will adopt the Kurnothi as his own since he's lost his own people. Equally though the new destruction faction could open things up more. 

On the Vamp cover - it is excellent and I'd love to see Direwolves done like the one on the cover, someone also seemed to spot a mounted /winged model in the background of the video- maybe that Abyssal Terror or a Winged Nightmare. I expect there's more to be seen for the Vamps..

Yeah it’s up in the air until we get more essentially. I’m hoping for kurnothi to be adopted by this god and fall into animalistic destruction however it could also adopt the silent ones which would be interesting if it’s the direchasm. So many possibilities I hope it’s something new or a new take on something old. I think beastmen would be least exciting to me unless it was something different. 

The flying thing looks like a zombie dragon but it’s not go the same head etc as the current one. It could mean we see a new zombie dragon or as others have said it could be artistic interpretation. I definitely think we will see some sort of big model for them that’s new. Makes sense business wise as they help create hype and money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SirSalabean said:

I think they will have a part 2 to the Soulblight preview with dire wolves and other models. There’s a dire wolf on the battletome front and centre so it’s possible. Either way Hedonites, Lumineth, and sisters have had two separate reveals I think we could see more. 

Who’s just waiting for the next week in Warhammer post? I wanna know for sure Lumineth are coming 

I agree with a second Preview. Even if it is just Dire Wolves and perhaps a new centrepiece Behemoth.

1 hour ago, Aelfric said:

I love seeing brand new Factions. Idoneth Deepkin are stunning and I hope they get more attention as time goes on. All Alliances have had an original AOS centric army or been expanded to reflect the setting.

Order. Idoneth, Kharadron and Stormcast.

Death. Nighthaunt. Ossiarch.

Chaos. Khorne and Slaneesh expanded.

Destruction has remained wholly the same more or less with Orruks, Grots and Ogors. Even the Sons more or less are Giants (Gargants) that every Alliance can take much like the Alegguzzler in WHFB. 

So I'm hoping it's a unique Faction for Destruction.

59 minutes ago, SirSalabean said:

The dragon on the time looks different to our current one however I’d argue that the current zombie dragon/terrogheist isn’t looking too old

The head is really the only part thats very different, but the rider looks identical to the current kit. 

I am super excited that the Gravelords are basically all the Legions of Nagash stuff that didn't get incorporated into Bonereapers, since I probably have about 2k of what will be in the battletome already!

• LOVE IT! 1

10 minutes ago, ArkanautDadmiral said:

Since I’d be buying Cursed City it wouldn’t make sense NOT to start a Gravelords army right?

That's basically where I am at, too. At this point, I already know I am getting Cursed City. I already have a full Deathrattle army, but Gravelords look so good that between there will almost certainly be another list in there I can get excited about. Could be Kritza and various creatures of the night. Could be Gorslav and zombies. Could be an elite Soulblight list with Blood Knights. Or just archetypical  Castlevania, with a mix of everything. There are just so many strong aesthetics in here. The GW sculptors really outdid themselves and got me interested in a lot of aspects of the army I had no interest in before.

Thankfully, we seem to be past the point where every single thing in a piece of GW art is directly based off the models. I think the dragon is just artistic license. Unless the new AdMech release is bigger than it seems, almost the entire AdMech codex cover is non-existent stuff. 

I’d love to start new Soulblight. Unfortunately I’ve already got IDK as my small but better painted army, a big OBR army ready for painting, and Lumineth ready for their next wave. Not including 40K. I’ll give it to GW lots of their new stuff makes me want them! Thankfully Lumineth will be coming soon. 

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

I love seeing brand new Factions. Idoneth Deepkin are stunning and I hope they get more attention as time goes on. All Alliances have had an original AOS centric army or been expanded to reflect the setting.

Order. Idoneth, Kharadron and Stormcast.

Death. Nighthaunt. Ossiarch.

Chaos. Khorne and Slaneesh expanded.

Destruction has remained wholly the same more or less with Orruks, Grots and Ogors. Even the Sons more or less are Giants (Gargants) that every Alliance can take much like the Alegguzzler in WHFB. 

So I'm hoping it's a unique Faction for Destruction.

I agree that GW have done a great job of introducing new interpretations of the old races for AOS ( esp LRL ),  I just want them to take that little extra step and introduce something completely new; not Aelf, or Duardin, human or Seraphon, Orruk or Ogor, but a new race not seen before in either setting.  Everything up to now has its roots in the past.  Give us something without a past that says "this is the future".  Give us the "Age of the Godbeasts".

2 hours ago, HollowHills said:

I feel like Kurnothi are coming and that centaur guy hints at it. They have done a fair bit of lore building around Kurnothi over the last year or two and Cursed City also brings in another model.

It doesn't make sense to me from a brand perspective to introduce Kurnothi and then release new "beast people" that look similar to but aren't Kurnothi. 

That said, Kragnos sounds like something different. So I'm thinking possibly a new faction for destruction vs Kurnothi as the start of aos 3?

Yeah, that's pretty much my take.  Kragnos, or at least the guy in the image in the end is a Centaur with antlers, long flowing locks and a vaguely celtic style who seems connected to Ghur/Beastgrave, as opposed to the Kurnothi, being vaguely celtic (to the extend Wood Elves always were) beast/centaur people with antlers and similar 80s hair who are also associated with Beastgrave/Ghur and introduced inside the Beastgrave starter set.

With so much thematic and timeline overlap it makes no sense for this development to be completely unconnected to the Kurnothi one way or the other, even if what exactly Kragnos is remains up in the air.

• Like 1