The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Eh Ogors don't have a huge model line. You get basic troops basic ranged and basic large plastic heavy support. If you don't have ogors or don't have many its basically an auto buy as you will use everything. Same for bonereapers, the only issue some of us have is that GW spent a month encouraging us to get morghasts and then put morghasts in the box as well (I'd honestly have preferred a unit of cavalry). But again its basic troops and troop support  - again quite core units for the army. 

I am super excited about the Ogors side of the box and buying it just to paint honestly.  I have way too many armies going but I will find a way to use them somehow, even as mercenaries.

I am really disappointed in Morghasts being in the box.  Just seems like they are pawning off old models.  I don't anticipate getting into Bonereapers too much but the Calvary is my favorite unit by far and including a unit of them would have been epic just from a painting stand point.

I have bought a number of these box sets in the past and generally they always leave something to be desired on both sides.  I am curious if they thought that what is in the box would actually be a fun and somewhat fair match up between the two forces.

Looking online at the rest of the Gutbuster line, those Butcher figures are absolutely terrible.  I hope they intend to update that ASAP.  I do like a number of the Maneaters guys though.. The ninja one is hilarious and I like the one with the executioner's hood and giant cycle/chain weapon.  Weird when you hit the "gnoblar" link in the Community article it takes you to the store to an obvious WHFB box and really bad looking Goblins with weird noses that look like cartoon bird beaks or something.  So far from the quality of the Gloomspites.  Hope there are rules for the new Underworld Wolf Riders to be used in a Mawtribe army.

Also excited to see how they work with the "entire force of monsters" type thing.  Some of those Forge World beasties might be worth getting.

For all we know the figure in the artwork was just some abstract soul-like form that's now put inside a bonecrafted body.

That being said Katakros must be one hell of an impressive guy considering what Kelly said in the interview. When Nagash was about to destroy his city Katakros went to Nagash and offered to work for him ... and instead of dismissing/smiting/eating/whatever the foolish mortal, Nagash actually looked into his achievements and went "Yup, you are the real deal. Be the Mortarch of my pet project legion".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, relic456 said:

These are clutch models for all three armies and if you're looking to get in to them you're basically SOL.  By the time the meta has sorted out whether or not the unique models in the dual box are competitively viable, they've been unavailable for months and unlikely to be available anytime soon. 

So you're stuck with the proposition of either:

• dropping money now to get models you potentially don't want and will potentially be poor competitively
  • holding off and hoping that the models aren't necessary for competitive builds or that this time GW will do things differently and release the unique models in a reasonable amount of time (I doubt it).   

Which is all made even more frustrating because it appears to be purely a business decision, since releasing the unique models individually would likely cannibalize the ****** out of the dual box sales. 

Damned if you do, damned if you don't 😔

I bought in to Loon Curse and love the Arch Regent but not sure it is that "clutch" of a character, she really isn't that tough but looks cool as hell.

As far as this new box goes.. there is the existing Tyrant (no where near as cool of course) but you can get a figure for your army without the box.

As far as the Bonereapers, that hero looks kind of dumb in my opinion.  especially when I see that it is just the top of a coffin and his little legs out the bottom.  I know he was the original spokesperson for the hype train but I think you could easily pass on this and wait for the individual sets to drop and get all the other much cooler heroes for their army.  If he is super powerful and crucial to the army then it is silly to include him in this set and as a miniature is not cool enough to base the entire purchase of this expensive box on.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, relic456 said:

See I don't think this is actually good advice.  Carrion Empire came out like 8 months ago and there's no sight of the Archregent or Bombardier being released soon.  Looncurse came out five months ago and the only Arch-revenants on eBay are selling for hundreds of dollars.  These are clutch models for all three armies and if you're looking to get in to them you're basically SOL.  By the time the meta has sorted out whether or not the unique models in the dual box are competitively viable, they've been unavailable for months and unlikely to be available anytime soon. 

Don’t get me wrong, I was the first to complain about this policy, but if you are on the edge on these armies I don’t think you’ll know more with few previews or the YouTube reviews. You’ll need stats and tried lists, 

This box is also an exception, there is already a Tyrant model, even assuming this one is going to be retired you can still find the old one in eBay if it’s so essential for an Ogor army and you need it. In Sylvaneth the Arch-Regent is good but not essential, there are however really few hero options in Sylvaneth so his absence is “heavier”. This new hero in OBR, is what, one of 8 options available? It may be important but maybe not. 

This year has been particular with Carrion Empire in particular, but in the past within 6-8 months the limited units have been made available. Why this policy of waiting I don’t know and I can’t share it. It’s not that the boxes will be unsold or they have an extra price, they are actually a discount price! The discount alone should be an incentive, having limited availability units in it makes only for a bigger second hand market from which GW I’m not sure what gains...

Edited by alghero81

14 minutes ago, relic456 said:

See I don't think this is actually good advice.  Carrion Empire came out like 8 months ago and there's no sight of the Archregent or Bombardier being released soon.  Looncurse came out five months ago and the only Arch-revenants on eBay are selling for hundreds of dollars.  These are clutch models for all three armies and if you're looking to get in to them you're basically SOL.  By the time the meta has sorted out whether or not the unique models in the dual box are competitively viable, they've been unavailable for months and unlikely to be available anytime soon. 

So you're stuck with the proposition of either:

• dropping money now to get models you potentially don't want and will potentially be poor competitively
  • holding off and hoping that the models aren't necessary for competitive builds or that this time GW will do things differently and release the unique models in a reasonable amount of time (I doubt it).   

Which is all made even more frustrating because it appears to be purely a business decision, since releasing the unique models individually would likely cannibalize the ****** out of the dual box sales. 

Damned if you do, damned if you don't 😔

Can't say I can confirm that. Pretty much all boxset character models are available on ebay for reasonable prices so if you really think you need them after the boxset sold out you can likely get them from there still.

Also there's always the option for kitbashes/conversions. If you can't get your hands on a particular model, build one that looks the part yourself. If I end up thinking I really really want this Bonereaper character in my army because his rules fit so well or whatever then I'm definitely going to build my own version because he's easily my least favourite Bonereaper model they've shown so far.

4 minutes ago, Travis Baumann said:

I bought in to Loon Curse and love the Arch Regent but not sure it is that "clutch" of a character, she really isn't that tough but looks cool as hell.

A few of the lists I've seen get in to the top 25 of tournaments are running 9x Kurnoths, making Arch-revenants a great support piece.  I'm not super in touch with the Sylvaneth meta, just my anecdotal assessment of the lists I see when cruising tournament reports.

5 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

This box is also an exception, there is already a Butcher model

No doubt, my position is entirely to do with the Ossiarch Bonereapers

Just now, Panzer said:

Pretty much all boxset character models are available on ebay for reasonable prices so if you really think you need them after the boxset sold out you can likely get them from there still.

Just double checked eBay. there are two Arch-revenants up right now, one for $91 CAD and one for $116 CAD and no Archregents.  I'd say those prices are unreasonable given the price of similar foot lords but reasonable is subjective so maybe to others those prices are fine. 

5 minutes ago, Panzer said:

Also there's always the option for kitbashes/conversions.

Believe me, if I had the skill and ability to kitbash a model I'd be proud to put on the tabletop, I probably would.  Sadly I have a hard enough time painting and building the models that come with instructions, let alone putting together one from bits and pieces.

None of the Maneaters are last chance to buy/no longer available, so that's a good sign, but they've not been mentioned or shown any either article announcing the new book or the faction focus. Maybe they're safe, but I won't feel good about them until this weekend when the Ogor Mawtribes section of the store goes live and I can see if they're there or not. Really happy to see that the Gnoblar name is back though.

Edited by bsharitt
  • Like 1

As always with anything finecast or metal (or heck even plastic) if you want it get it because when the pre-order goes live GW will remove anything they want (and might do so in the week leading up). They've also been known to remove on the live order day as well (when it goes on sale). Basically Ogors appear safe at present, but if there's any you seriously want get them. 

Otherwise carry on and save up for Feast of Bones

52 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

None of the Maneaters are last chance to buy/no longer available, so that's a good sign, but they've not been mentioned or shown any either article announcing the new book or the faction focus. Maybe they're safe, but I won't feel good about them until this weekend when the Ogor Mawtribes section of the store goes live and I can see if they're there or not. Really happy to see that the Gnoblar name is back though.

I see no one's posted the info from today's live stream yet so I'll just post the main points.

- No models are being removed. All the models are making the jump. Including the Butcher with the Cauldron (the Slaughtermaster from Fantasy), he's now a new unit called a Slaughtermaster - basically a stronger wizard.

- You can take a Gnoblar Horde via the Junkmob battalion. It's a battalion of only Gnoblars that makes them kinda good (not specified how).

- Huskards are now "officially" priests like priests from other factions

- Firebelly has his own lore, and Butchers have their own as well.

- Leadbelchers are indeed going 2 as the minimum size, so the boxed set gives a whole unit.

- All Ogres get a Gulping Bite attack.

- They've got different tribe abilities like all the 2.0 battletomes.

- All the warscrolls are getting an update

- Troggoths and Aleguzzlers are still allies.

Few pictures

Ogors_01.jpg

Ogors_02.jpg

Ogors_03.jpg

Edited by FFJump
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, FFJump said:

- You can take a Gnoblar Horde via the Junkmob battalion. It's a battalion of only Gnoblars that makes them kinda good (not specified how).

Tempting, but I won't fall for that madness again this time. I had a Gnoblar army with the White Dwarf rules back in WHFB 7e and it had more models at 1000p than literally any other army at 2000p. :D

• Like 1

Just now, Panzer said:

Tempting, but I won't fall for that madness again this time. I had a Gnoblar army with the White Dwarf rules back in WHFB 7e and it had more models at 1000p than literally any other army at 2000p. :D

Me too! I went from "Sounds alright" to instant day one all-in army as soon as I heard about the battalion.

Edited by FFJump
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Panzer said:

One of my hobby dreams is attend a tournament with an insane model count army and just pour them out of a bucket onto the table.

• Haha 5

Good to hear that nothing is going away. I'm not planning to build an Ogre army tomorrow or anything, but it's a long term plan for my next army, though I may do the maneaters mercenary company sooner rather than later(as well as painting a few more ogres I have kicking around here).

I already practically run Gloomspite as an "elite" army(elite for goblins at least), so it'd be funny to use gnoblars to run ogres as a horde army.

3 hours ago, Panzer said:

For all we know the figure in the artwork was just some abstract soul-like form that's now put inside a bonecrafted body.

That being said Katakros must be one hell of an impressive guy considering what Kelly said in the interview. When Nagash was about to destroy his city Katakros went to Nagash and offered to work for him ... and instead of dismissing/smiting/eating/whatever the foolish mortal, Nagash actually looked into his achievements and went "Yup, you are the real deal. Be the Mortarch of my pet project legion".

yeah, katakros's body is a construct that reflects his personality, the art bit is probably his essence free of a body or form

2 hours ago, Forrix said:

One of my hobby dreams is attend a tournament with an insane model count army and just pour them out of a bucket onto the table.

I has a coworker back at GW who did that with his 40K orks. Literally a bucket. It was cute, but also a bit off-putting to play against.  Good guy, though.

5 hours ago, Travis Baumann said:

For the other army though, the Loonboss on Great Cave Squig is pretty integral if you want to run mostly Squigs. I mean, there are other options (like the old ugly resin one, or the cool but expensive forgeworld one), but if you don't want to deal with resin you are SOL. There are recasts from China or Morocco on Ebay, but I wouldn't risk those.  My bet is that he will return in the Christmas bundle to drive sales, because a Squig army needs him.

6 hours ago, Travis Baumann said:

the "gnoblar" link in the Community article it takes you to the store to an obvious WHFB box and really bad looking Goblins with weird noses that look like cartoon bird beaks or something. 

Yep...those are Gnoblars. They were renamed Grots for some reason during the AoS change over.  Seems they’ve decided to go back 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Travis Baumann said:

Weird when you hit the "gnoblar" link in the Community article it takes you to the store to an obvious WHFB box and really bad looking Goblins with weird noses that look like cartoon bird beaks or something.  So far from the quality of the Gloomspites.  Hope there are rules for the new Underworld Wolf Riders to be used in a Mawtribe army.

How dare you call them bad looking Goblins. Their huge noses and ears is what make Gnoblars look so much better than any Goblin lol

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I has a coworker back at GW who did that with his 40K orks. Literally a bucket. It was cute, but also a bit off-putting to play against.  Good guy, though.

There was a player at LGT who had a big jar full of horrors. Didn't see him take a swig though