The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Mutton said:

I think Underworlds gives them a good opportunity (like Warcry) to design unique, scattershot models that may not have a place as an entire faction. Granted the gitsmob aren't new, but it's nice to see a fresh sculpt on classic ideas. They certainly look better than the old flat-faced wolves of Fantasy.

In fairness, the wolves are some of the coolest I have seen.

6 minutes ago, michu said:

You might think that Goblin Wolf Riders are boring but some of us liked Gitmobz and really think that's good there is hope for them. 

Don‘t get me wrong, those models are great and would have been amazing for the old world orcs n Goblins but I don‘t get the AoS feel from them since they‘re just a „remake“ of the old wolfriders which is unusual and this could be a „first“ for AoS (just adding a freshly for AoS remade unit which was exactly the same back in 8th).

127124CF-7035-4BEC-9F9C-A93BDD241D5A.jpeg.2511ce49756f6298302fc6a8b6183c17.jpeg

• Confused 2

Legit floored that they brought Gitmob back for Underworld.

I dont expect them to get a full army release, so maybe this is the start of a new trend where they release warbands not tied to AoS? Or maybe I'm wrong and we really will see a second grot faction.

And hey, if you take off their skin and muscles and blood they're basically tomb kings as well.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

Don‘t get me wrong, those models are great and would have been amazing for the old world orcs n Goblins but I don‘t get the AoS feel from them since they‘re just a „remake“ of the old wolfriders which is unusual and this could be a „first“ for AoS (just adding a freshly for AoS remade unit which was exactly the same back in 8th).

I like that the new ones looks basically like the old goblins on Fenrisian wolves.

This makes me wonder about Kurnothi.

We assumed that Warband = Future Army, but the Bone Daddies are pretty much a nail in the coffin for a full army that resembles the Sepulchral Guard.

Furthermore, I can't see GW doing a whole Gitmob army either, so maybe the Kurnothi could yet still be a one-and-done warband only?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

this could be a „first“ for AoS (just adding a freshly for AoS remade unit which was exactly the same back in 8th).

Black Coach, Fiends of Slaanesh, Changling and The Masque... Plus a fair few squiggy/trolly things in the Gloomspite release.

Beasts of Nurgle look kinda different in form, but have the same name. Ditto the four greater daemons.

Edited by Kyriakin

6 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

We assumed that Warband = Future Army, but the Bone Daddies are pretty much a nail in the coffin for a full army that resembles the Sepulchral Guard.

Furthermore, I can't see GW doing a whole Gitmob army either, so maybe the Kurnothi could yet still be a one-and-done warband only?

Maybe, tho personally I'm thinking the Pact of Bones will be like Carrion Empire, with Ogors vs ??? the fact that it is bones, makes me think it will be a Skeleton/Zombie Army force. there certainly are more than enough models to make an army from them like Flesh Eaters

7 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

They very well could. Could it be that they're just throwing out warbands they find cool or interesting? If enough people show interest in the Kurnothi, maybe they'll expand them in the future (4-5 years into the future, if they go by today's reactions). Maybe people will lose their armbands over wolf-riding goblin classics. But for now, it doesn't look that way. They seem to be a bone for the old timers. Their aesthetic is so tame by AoS standards that I'm quite amazed they saw the light of day at all.

Bonereapers don't mark the end of regular Skeletons.

In fact they achieve something that the old TombKings and Vampires failed which was to have very distinct undead concepts. One issue with TK popularity was that Vampires also had a good few Skeletons but also got superior rules for a long while. So whilst TK had a good design they lost out on the front that skeleton fans gravitated toward the better rules. Now with Bonereapers they've a simply very different style to regular skeletons. So GW is now free to do a fully regular Skeleton army (either on its own or in support of vampires etc....). The two will have very different designs and hopefully appeal to different (yet overlapping and similar) groups. 

Of course rules wise we hope for good balance in AoS and no more years upon years of rule neglect like happened in the past. 

I agree that Warbands for Underworld are likely one-off creative projects that "might" see the light of day one day as a full army or an expansion to a regular army; but otherwise I would not expect to see them get army models of their own. 

Note that Warcry is a little different as technically all the unique models for it are already within an existing army - Slaves to Darkness. Only that Slaves hasn't been updated yet. 

5 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

Wow, some people like classic styles, some like more "out there" concepts, some like something inbetween and some like things across the spectrum.

I would appreciate less of the "I don't want this, so GW should not make this" sentiment, though. That works in both directions (i.e. classic design fans against new concepts, and fans of new concepts against classic design), where the "grumpy grognard WHFB loyalists" and "everything made before 2015 sucks AoS loyalists" horseshoe around to become almost exactly the same as each other - despite their massively differing tastes.

Wise words

4 hours ago, Cèsar de Quart said:

They very well could. Could it be that they're just throwing out warbands they find cool or interesting? If enough people show interest in the Kurnothi, maybe they'll expand them in the future (4-5 years into the future, if they go by today's reactions). Maybe people will lose their armbands over wolf-riding goblin classics. But for now, it doesn't look that way. They seem to be a bone for the old timers. Their aesthetic is so tame by AoS standards that I'm quite amazed they saw the light of day at all.

While I agree that Gitmob and Sepruchal Guard might be a bit dry for a full release in this day and age, I can't say I agree with regards to Kurnoti.

A "Wardancer army" feels as viable as the "Witch Elf army" we have already had. (i.e. Take the most feral aspect of an old elf army, and go all-in with it).

6 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

The "it is not AOS feel" argument comes out a lot.  I do not think there is really an AOS feel.  WHFB inspired miniatures form a significant if not the bulk of several armies in the AOS world e.g Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgle, Slannesh, Skaven, FEC, DOK, Sylvaneth.  In fact the truly brand new AOS factions imo are Stormcast, Fyreslayers, KO and Idoneth.  There is no distinction between AOS style or WHFB style, imo the differences comes more from new sculpting technology and the liberty for more dynamic poses since ranking up is no longer an issue.  Just like Slannesh get new fiends, Khorne get new hounds, Goblins now get new wolf riders.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, SaJeel said:

The AOS feel is everything from soul stealing sea aelves to just some guy with a sword and a gun looking for a hellforged spear

Exactly.

I always found it strange how some people say "the mortal realms can be literally anything", and then rush to try and gatekeep anything remotely classic looking out of the world. Basically, "it can be literally anything... but not goblins riding wolves...".

"Anything" can, and should, mean the entirety of the classic-new spectrum. It's up to GW to try and gauge how to distribute releases across that spectrum, and while I don't doubt that the centre of mass of the player base leans on the side of "new", the significant positive respose to this release shows that it's not an either/or situation.

In fact, having classic goblins makes the wacky Moonclan goblins seem even more wacky in comparison. Or, to put it another way, in a world where everything is special, nothing is.

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

Also doesnt get much more AOS than a doom diver catapult,
Imagining a giant rickity machine that takes  Grots whose goal is to Reach the Sun itself, but when they fail they rage back down to the realms exploding in a fireball of death (and hopefully taking down something big as a tribute)... yea thats pretty AOS to me

Edited by SaJeel
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 6

8 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

Personally i think you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you ever assumed warband = future army.  Also, i don't think  Shadespire minis have the same 2-3 year production time that main AoS factions are said to.  For many of them, the quality isn't there.  I try to take them as an enjoyable  way for GW artists to vent some of that loose creative energy while also fleshing out some of the mortal realms. I really doubt we'll ever see a full kurnothi faction. The satyr theme already exists in abundance within the beastmen, and there's no way to copyright such a widespread trope, or even really distinguish it for that matter.

But it's nice to see them populate the realms without worrying about  redundancy, copyright issues or  how the faction must fit into the big overarching narrative. The kurnothi are simply a type of nomadic aelf found in small numbers roaming ghur. That's cool. I wonder what other neat realm-specific creatures and cultures are out there. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

I don't know if Sepulchral Guard are the best example here, as when they came out we *already* had an army resembling them [well, not counting the mismatched keywords issue they had at the start]. They are just reanimated skeletons. We have those, as deathrattle part of legions of Nagash. The basic models are a bit lacking compared to the Underworlds ones, but they're still there.

So I wouldn't discount the possibility of Kurnothi and now Gitmob armies in the future. And Darkoath, for that matter, despite the StD fans being almost as unlucky in their army choice as Aelf players ; )

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

You must’ve missed the Gloomspite release then... that’s all the Squig Hoppers, Squig Herd, Fanatics, Stone Trolls etc were. 

• Like 2