The Rumour Thread

5 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

With all this talk about how glad we'd be to see the finecast ogre stuff at the awful end of the spectrum disappear forever, would anyone else be as me if the Maneater models got retired? 😢

GHMercenaries-Jun10-Share9ycs.jpg.f8c9114f44b60911879236fad4ab9edc.jpg

Whaaat i just painted them

23 hours ago, Overread said:

Considering GW hasn't teased a single new death faction really it could be that the rumour was someone at GW who got their marketing spiel wrong and GW hasn't made any move to confirm nor deny fully. But far as we know 1 more death battletome "should" be coming. 

Except that it was mentioned two separate times.  It's unlikely that such a blunder would happen twice

2 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

What? I just read here that late october there is a new ogor release? with a new death release? This is really close to the end of the year. 

Any confirmation about ogres?

Dates are unknown. What we know is that "coming at some point" there is Feast of Bones which has at least 1 new ogre model (leader) within it. Other than that we know nothing. 

Based on the fact that every duel army box has had battletomes released for it we thus know that an ogres tome is coming; however it might land on the launch day of the duel box (like skaven and flesheaters) or it might come 6 months later or more (like genstealer cults). 

Rumour wise GW said that there was at least 1 more Battletome per Grand Alliance and this was said after Death already had the current 3 Battletomes that it has. Thus the deduction that there must be a new death faction coming. There's loads of rumours about what it could be from return of the Tomb Kings; to a ranged death army all the way to just upscaling one of the old mini-factions that got removed. Basically we've no real details at all about this one. 

10 hours ago, khadgar567 said:

they are always have more insight then us plus if gamesworkshop double down on  Darkoath models you oruks are gonna be raging why your pet faction doesnt get tome while brain storming the new units mechanics. i follow raging heroes site and they just release  their darkoath looking army and this make me feel like dark oath tome is closer then you guys might think.

That was my bad, for some reason I read third party shops 🤣🏻

Really surprised that people think the upcoming death release will be a small one. Gw don't do animated teasers with voice overs for small releases. The tithe video is undeniably about death: the subtitle is the necropolis and it is obviously refering to the forbidden power story. That video was also just part one. This is clearly the big autumn release for AOS. I am expecting something at least as big as the slaanesh release. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Really surprised that people think the upcoming death release will be a small one. Gw don't do animated teasers with voice overs for small releases. The tithe video is undeniably about death: the subtitle is the necropolis and it is obviously refering to the forbidden power story. That video was also just part one. This is clearly the big autumn release for AOS. I am expecting something at least as big as the slaanesh release. 

I think right now its just that we don't know what it could be and many are hoping/rumouring small updates so that they don't get their hopes up too much. Heck Daughters of Khaine was a pretty small release of only 3 new models. Granted they are awesome models, but lets not fool ourselves it was still only 3 new model kits.

A new Death Faction could easily just be two or three duel kits coupled to existing sculpts; that's a new thing don't get me wrong but its not like a massive release of a dozen new kits. 

To be honest if they take deathrattle and add few more heroes, migrate the Morghasts in it, add one or two dual kits introducing whatever was mentioned before (chariots, archers and constructs), they don’t really need much more. DoK had already a good selection of heroes, while deathrattle has a good starting base with skeletons, grave guard, black knights and Wight king.

Of course the more the merrier but potentially there could be space for a Slaanesh type release 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

To be honest if they take deathrattle and add few more heroes, migrate the Morghasts in it, add one or two dual kits introducing whatever was mentioned before (chariots, archers and constructs), they don’t really need much more. DoK had already a good selection of heroes, while deathrattle has a good starting base with skeletons, grave guard, black knights and Wight king.

Just a thing: Don't break my LoN !

LoN is just one of, if not THE richest tome of AoS. Don't break it by adding a subfaction that make new limitations to LoN. Just do it so it can be an augmentation of the richness of this amazing tome. NH partially did that with for example reapers.

1 hour ago, Chikout said:

We really haven't had a major army release since Gloomspite Gitz, I think we're due for one. Slaanesh was really just a handful of character kits, one unit, and then the terrain and endless spells.  I'm thinking we'll see at least 6 new kits for the army (Gloomspite had 9 not counting terrain/spells and the later loonboss on cave squig).

5 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

LoN is just one of, if not THE richest tome of AoS. Don't break it by adding a subfaction that make new limitations to LoN. Just do it so it can be an augmentation of the richness of this amazing tome. NH partially did that with for example reapers.

Surely could just work how the Nighthaunt work?

So e.g. all the existing skeleton stuff would still be useable in LoN as it now is. But then there'd be a new battletome incorporating that stuff + new stuff exclusive to them + allegiance abilities. 

12 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Not arguing this, LoN is also my favourite army. However I think when they will get a well deserved update they will use the keywords like Legion of Grief and most likely Cities of Sigmar. 

So the future looks good with potentially any other death release pumping up LoN. Of course this is just speculation and Legion of Grief is not technically a Legion according to the FAQ...

11 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

I only chose BCR for the Everwinter theme, and recently dropped over $500 on 21 Yhetees, a Hunter and 18 cats for a full Ice Age forge. 

While I accepted the risk of getting hit with newer (better) sculpts after this purchase, to lose the actual units/warscolls (i.e. with no like-for-like replacements) and my army's overall theme would be a disaster for me. 

Given that this army was my way of moving on from my TK's squatting,  GW's ongoing refusal to provide a road map of future intent would start to really test my patience.

If they provide a roadmap, everyone would just wait and they wouldn't sell many minis. 

It would be unfortunate if Yhetees and Cats warscrolls are omitted from the book, but I think it's likely.   But really, your old army got squatted and so you spent $500 on really old, terrible resin sculpts assuming the models would just get refreshed?  It's not like they are super iconic units or anything.  Hopefully you understood that risk when you bought them... 

That said, even if they are dropped from the book, they should be in the GHB for a bit still. Also, you can always play them in non-matched play! (Since you went for a full Yhetee / Cat army, for one of the most underpowered factions, i assume you probably don't care much about matched play anyway) 

Honestly with the speed many of the Last Chance stuff vanished from the store (under a day for most of it) I wager for AoS many of the models without battletomes are just not selling anyway besides a very casual trickle here and there. Ergo GW isn't likely to lose many if any sales if they announced 5 months ago the models being removed from Free Cities. If anything they likely would have made way more sales from people grabbing those models.

Same is true if they said that Slaanesh was getting a battletome in 4 months with a confirmed date I'm sure all those Wrath and Rapture kits would have sold faster 

21 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

Also, you can always play them in non-matched play! (Since you went for a full Yhetee / Cat army, for one of the most underpowered factions, i assume you probably don't care much about matched play anyway) 

Wanting points does not necessarily equate to competitive. 

Points mean pick-up games are easy to organise via a universal language, and you might actually find someone to play against (I have never witnessed an unpointed game of AoS post-GHB16, and I don't know any tournament players). 

This is why Legends is DOA (seriously, search for Legends battle reports on YouTube). 

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Kyriakin said:

Wanting points does not necessarily equate to competitive. 

Points mean pick-up games are easy to organise via a universal language, and you might actually find someone to plat against (I have never witnessed an unpointed game of AoS post-GHB16). 

Also a Battletome confirms that the army should hang around for a good long while; without one there's always a risk of getting shut down and having the army removed. Granted a Tome is no pure defence, but in general armies with Tomes or Codex have only very rarely been removed in their entirety from the game (The start of AoS being a gross exception to the norm)