Which faction needs the most TLC?

Enoby

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we were to pick a single faction that already has a Battletome - then I would say either Kharadron Overlords, Flesh Eater Courts, or Beastclaw Raiders.  Those 3 are probably the factions that need the most TLC.

Allegiances that are currently missing a battletome don't need TLC - they need a battletome.

I think Stormcast Eternals. There are just so many units they don't have yet. Greater Daemons being one notable example.

Also, I'm hearing rumours of a Moonclan Grots release. Presumably that includes Squig Hoppers. Yet WHERE ARE OUR SIG HOPPERS?

Stormcast Eternals can't keep up with the meta unless we get the releases tbh.

*note to self. Make Sighopper

Things that already exist in battletome-form and need a re-do (in this order):

Beastclaw Raiders

Kharadron Overlords

Things that exist in GH allegiance form but don't exist in battletome-form and should:

Combined Skaven, LoN style

Combined Greenskins, LoN style

There are other things in both categories that could use some improvements, but I just picked the top couple.

Slaanesh.  If you're not sure why, your parents can explain it to you when you're older.

Actual reasoning though - they are hands down the most neglected faction that exists in both 40k and Sigmar.  I know it's a short list, but GW literally loves every other god of chaos 5x more than they love Slaanesh

It won't happen but I thought it's pretty cool Slanesh is chained up and not a major threat, they'd need to resculpt Archaon if Slanesh is freed surely? 

Some form of knights that ride actual horses and is led by Abhorash and Gilles Le Breton gets my vote,  although I'd say they belong in destruction if it ever  happens due to the hatred of allariele and the fact Abhorash would not be in thrall to nagash.

1 hour ago, Luke1705 said:

Slaanesh.  If you're not sure why, your parents can explain it to you when you're older.

Actual reasoning though - they are hands down the most neglected faction that exists in both 40k and Sigmar.  I know it's a short list, but GW literally loves every other god of chaos 5x more than they love Slaanesh

I think the trouble with Slaanesh is that he/she is sexy.

I know, I know ... excess in all forms.  I get it. Heck, when i was writing for FFG on the Tome of Excess we were told specifically to avoid over-sexualizing the content and to focus on other kinds of excess.  That directive, though, came from GW.

To me, this means that GW is really trying to keep the sex out of things with Slaanesh --- at least as much as they can.

That must present quite the challenge for them.  How to you keep this god being what it has been for decades of published and manufactured materials, and thus keep the fans who like  it interested in it, while also morphing it into something that Little Timmy's mom will buy him (or even allow in the house)? This is especially true in this day and age were companies and individuals can be taken down for anything that even appears to be offensive to large parts of a diverse society. (No judging - just trying to find ways to highlight a potential pitfall in the minds of GW management,)

The days of fully naked demonettes (will they even be called that anymore since it associates something sinister and nasty with femininity?), black leather staps, bulging packages, whips, slaves, submission, lust ... all of the stuff that has typically been Grade A Slaanesh stuff ... may well be in the past. So, what do you do?  Make gluttonous Slaanesh worshipers (too Nurgle?) or frenzied combat worshippers who cannot get enough of cutting and bleeding (too Khorne? too emo?) or drugged out worshippers obsessed with bright colors and constantly changing/new experiences (too Tzeentch?)? 

I dunno, but it seems to me that GW put Slaanesh in a box that they could ignore until the legend of what Slaanesh used to stand for fades away and he/she can be reborn as something other than boobiesnakes and whips.

6 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I think the trouble with Slaanesh is that he/she is sexy.

I know, I know ... excess in all forms.  I get it. Heck, when i was writing for FFG on the Tome of Excess we were told specifically to avoid over-sexualizing the content and to focus on other kinds of excess.  That directive, though, came from GW.

To me, this means that GW is really trying to keep the sex out of things with Slaanesh --- at least as much as they can.

That must present quite the challenge for them.  How to you keep this god being what it has been for decades of published and manufactured materials, and thus keep the fans who like  it interested in it, while also morphing it into something that Little Timmy's mom will buy him (or even allow in the house)? This is especially true in this day and age were companies and individuals can be taken down for anything that even appears to be offensive to large parts of a diverse society. (No judging - just trying to find ways to highlight a potential pitfall in the minds of GW management,)

The days of fully naked demonettes (will they even be called that anymore since it associates something sinister and nasty with femininity?), black leather staps, bulging packages, whips, slaves, submission, lust ... all of the stuff that has typically been Grade A Slaanesh stuff ... may well be in the past. So, what do you do?  Make gluttonous Slaanesh worshipers (too Nurgle?) or frenzied combat worshippers who cannot get enough of cutting and bleeding (too Khorne? too emo?) or drugged out worshippers obsessed with bright colors and constantly changing/new experiences (too Tzeentch?)? 

I dunno, but it seems to me that GW put Slaanesh in a box that they could ignore until the legend of what Slaanesh used to stand for fades away and he/she can be reborn as something other than boobiesnakes and whips.

I think you can see a hint of where they are thinking to go with the whole Depravity Point scheme.  Flirt with the sexy-bits of S&M without going too close, while leaning hard into the actual S- and M-bits.

For these LON-style Skaven books, would you put Pestilens in or out?

I had once previously considered throwing all my TK/DC cards in, and starting a anew with Pestilens. However, I was concerned that they will be eventually thrown in with other Skaven and lose their thematic flavour. I believe this is/was called being "Black Templared".

For me, LON books should be just a place-holder until they actually build out these lines individually with new models. The idea of a fully-formed Ghoul army, Ghost army, Mummy army, Vampire army, Zombie army, Skeleton army (etc.) is much cooler to me than the Vampire Counts-style mish-mashes that we have now with LON.

However, if said releases never happen, of course a LON-style book is better than splintered, unusable factions with just three or four warscrolls in each.

I just wish there was some kind of roadmap for all of this, but I guess they don't want us to hold off army purchases for "the one" they have announced for 18 months in the future. For example, I remember some messages on here/FB stating they would hold-off a big DoK/Deepkin purchase when "angelic elves" were alluded to around the same time.

Grots, specifically I think a combined Gitmob/Moonclan/Spiderfang Release/Book.

Spiderfang probably don't need any kits, most likely some rethinking of how the variant Arachnaroks work with appropriate points costs (eg, a cheaper variant without the shaman/flinger). A plastic Big Boss & new riders would be nice, but not really needed.

Moonclan need plastic Squig and Warboss kits. The squigs would be cool if they could make both hoppers and herders.

Gitmob need a big refresh of their line.

Everyone needs batallions.

Destruction for sure. We can be pretty sure that Moonclan are on the books along with Slaves to Darkness as the Malign Portents heroes look suspiciously like test sculpts for ‘AoS-ified’ factions. 

But I think what’s more likely than an expanded faction is something entirely new - it’s pretty clear that AoS has really grabbed the design teams imagination to produce really different and unique stuff- don’t hold your breath for ‘traditional’ fantasy archetypes like dwarves and elves, unless there’s a unique twist on them.

Id love to see an equivalent to Imperial Knights - maybe aleguzzler gargants or giant elemental trolls. 

11 minutes ago, JontyGoesGaming said:

don’t hold your breath for ‘traditional’ fantasy archetypes like dwarves and elves, unless there’s a unique twist on them.

Aside from maybe the centrepiece model (e.g. Mawcrusha, etc.), slayers, heavily-armoured Orcs, Witch Elves, Treemen and the entire Nighthaunt release are all  "traditional" tropes from within established armies. Furthermore, I don't see much in, say, a Sepulchral Guard (i.e. Deathrattle) that isn't just a Medieval-inspired skeleton warrior.

Granted, Idoneth and KO certainly are not traditional and came right out of the left-field, but such armies will come up from time-to-time only when the inspiration arises. Otherwise, I don't think GW will keep reinventing the wheel just for the sake of it.

To be honest, I think there will always be a demand for Tolkein-esque Dispossessed and Wanderer releases, and, as mentioned above, sculpters can still let their hair down on the centrepiece (e.g. a large golem, giant stag, etc.).

7 hours ago, Barkanaut said:

Kharadron Overlords have been effectively destroyed as a playable army in 2e. They are a flagship army and the fact they are in such a sad shape is most distressing. When people think AoS they think SC, KO, Deepkin, and DoK. 

Come on now, they are nowhere near "unplayable". Basically every non-battletome army is worse off. 

Sure, they would greatly profit from an update but they are still completely fine to play in a non-competitive environment. 

16 hours ago, Tittliewinks22 said:

I think BCR should just combine with Ogor/Firebelly/Maneater again into one Ogor book.

Called “Ogor Kingdoms”? ?

to be honest, I’d be happy with this, in a LoN style, with BCR effectively becoming a tribe, Gutbusters another, maybe add a couple of new tribes which would be an opportunity to add a couple of new kits. But Gutbusters are definitely top of the TLC list for me, needing  fluff, allegiance abilities, command traits and artefacts, and a couple of battalions.

after that I’d agree with Warherds, although they could be reintegrated into Brayherds in a similar fashion.

6 hours ago, Baron Wastelands said:

Called “Ogor Kingdoms”? ?

to be honest, I’d be happy with this, in a LoN style, with BCR effectively becoming a tribe, Gutbusters another, maybe add a couple of new tribes which would be an opportunity to add a couple of new kits. But Gutbusters are definitely top of the TLC list for me, needing  fluff, allegiance abilities, command traits and artefacts, and a couple of battalions.

after that I’d agree with Warherds, although they could be reintegrated into Brayherds in a similar fashion.

Honestly part of me is actually hoping that for "Beastclaws 2.0" they just roll the rest of the ogres in following that theme, with the foot ogres making up the bulk of the nomadic tribes and the beastclaws acting as a vanguard force ranging ahead of the main tribe.

The modeling on the existing ogors already has a very mongolian feel to a lot of it, and it wouldn't take much to make it work just fine.

(I may be biased in that this is the 'fluff' I already have for my BCR/Ogors)

I agree with most people here that the answer probably is:

"All Destruction armies"

All of them lack variety or power, or both.

Outside of Destruction....

If I had to pick one of each Grand Alliance, I'd probably say Flesh Eater Courts, Kharadron Overlords (or other Dwarves, but KO are popular), and Brayherd+Warherd (those should be one faction IMO).

I say Gutbusters. They'd need multipart plastic kits for the 2 heros and Gorgers but otherwise their is the solid foundation for a fully fledged faction. 3 line infantry kits including a ranged option, a chaff unit option, and two war machines. I also happen to have like 5000 points of the meaty bois so I'm biased. 

Archived