AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Just now, Graywater said:

Right, but I think theyre referring to the fact that the command ability only works on the aelf units. So you could take snakes there or aelfs in zainthar Kai, but they wouldn't be able to benefit from some temple abilities. No 2+ to hit blood sisters. The temples seem like they're gonna be pretty specialized to certain units.

Explained better than my half-awake brain could formulate.

Ahh I hope we're not going to get limited to sects encouraging spam of 1 or 2 units. 

For individual gamers it makes our collections much more vulnerable to rules changes and meta shifts, unless we purchase alot of everything. (Which is good for GW but less desirable for casual players)

2 hours ago, Graywater said:

And I hope they say morathi can't go in lauchon's boat. Seems like an oversight/mistake when they FAQd her from not being able to go on the balewind instead of the boat. The balewind isn't nearly as big of an issue. 

If They change Mirror Dance it doesn’t mattet if she can go with boat.

Maybe Witchbrew will be like prayer, we have to roll for it.

We have to see all changes to see what will work.

As stated before, it seems that those sects favor certain unit choices. Like Zanthar Kai started doing in BR:Morathi first. But isn’t that the job of battalions? I don’t know how I feel about that.hmm. I hope that playing a variety of units still stays playable and at least semi competitive.  Nevertheless, I’m still hyped for the new book and the lore/endless spells within😅

On 2/6/2021 at 6:54 PM, drkrash said:

I just picked up DoK a couple months ago.  This last sentence here is the summation of my first love, Khorne.

DoK has given me what I love about Khorne and made it more durable.  I'm hoping we don't lose too much of that.

I hear you! I start playing DoK because it feels like how Khorne is supposed to be imo. Besides, if we ar honest, Khorne and Khaine are two sides of the same coin 😉

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 6:29 PM, Lucentia said:

The 5++ could probably stay if they nixed Blessing of Khaine, but yes I'd expect Hagg Nar to be toned down, hopefully with some of the other less appealing temples brought up at the same time.  I would've said that Zanthar Kai wouldn't be appearing in the new battletome as they were featured in  BR, but as they're on the front cover I guess they're just going to reprint them?  Seems weird, but whatever.

I'd like to see the Bloodwrack Shrine made into something a little more interesting, and similarly the Slaughter Queen on foot could do with something to make her stand out.  I would not be surprised to see some sort of change to Witch Aelves to bring them down a bit (something that springs to mind would be them only getting their bonus attack whilst nearby to a DoK hero that's within 3" of the enemy, as with the Shadow Queen and scathborne), I don't think Witches necessarily need to be toned down particularly at this point in the game (especially with a Hagg Nar  fix), but I could see it happening regardless.

Endless spells look cool, which of course is always the first consideration!  Hopefully they can be used as endless prayers as well, though they probably would've mentioned that if so.  Got to assume the bladewind is purely damage in some form, and the snake too probably (though I could see some sort of venom/aura of agony debuff alongside it) and the heart icon will be some sort of buff for nearby DoK units.

If you look at ardboys, wardens from LRL and some other battlelines, I would not say witches need a nerf they are good but since they came out their points have increased and other armies have gotten just as good units.

5 hours ago, jhamslam said:

Interested to see where Hag Narr ends up. Losing full re rolls on 3 to re roll 1s on BR 2 is actually not bad.

Whats the situation with the 5 up fnp tho.

I like this aswell, It will also mean we actually get to use round 5 abilties when I get there my army is dead or I have won, so the turn 4 and 5 are less used for me. This way they advance faster in a smaller way, also if we still get sacrament prayer you could have turn 4-5 buff really fast for one unit.

If the 5fnp is gone then some serious changes has to be made, I painted 60 witches with daggers, they will be useless because they will die instantly and with bloodsisters only costing 20 more those will be much better. 

Also stalkers list with bloodsisters will be the only options because other units will be to squishy, maybe sisters of battle because they can use some movement stuff to avoid danger.

I made emotional invested in my army and I fear the nerfing of the 5 fnp will do some serious damage to the army.

2 hours ago, Gokken said:

I like this aswell, It will also mean we actually get to use round 5 abilties when I get there my army is dead or I have won, so the turn 4 and 5 are less used for me. This way they advance faster in a smaller way, also if we still get sacrament prayer you could have turn 4-5 buff really fast for one unit.

If the 5fnp is gone then some serious changes has to be made, I painted 60 witches with daggers, they will be useless because they will die instantly and with bloodsisters only costing 20 more those will be much better. 

Also stalkers list with bloodsisters will be the only options because other units will be to squishy, maybe sisters of battle because they can use some movement stuff to avoid danger.

I made emotional invested in my army and I fear the nerfing of the 5 fnp will do some serious damage to the army.

If the 5++ goes, Daughters will absolutely get something else to compensate - and it likely won't be tied to a sub-faction. I wouldn't be too worried. 

im just gonna be the one saying positive things here instead, I fully expect DOK to be more powerful with the new book, and have their rules adjusted to he in line with current armies (see: wholly within). 

Dok is such a straight forward army, it's really easy to hit the mark for them to be powerful in the areas that make the army feel unique. Obr, ironjawz, big waagh, fyreslayers were all melee focused armies that came out and did extremely well, and I cant see dok being any different here. Maybe a few surprising builds pop up, but I expect things to go just fine 

• Like 2

I'm honestly not sure what changes I'd want to Khinerai to make me want to use them currently. Battleline would clearly be nice as it would allow cheaper battleline tax for lists that don't want to run three units of our regular offerings, but aside from that it's tricky trying to turn them into a main battle unit. It's very tough to make a super fast, core building block type unit that's also balanced. If it's efficient enough to be the backbone of your army, there's a good chance that speed will make it OP. But if it's balanced for its speed it probably isn't efficient enough to be the backbone. Eels are a great example of this.

3 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Think the harpies got a small rewrite and new cards in Shadow and Pain, not sure they’d change the scrolls again so soon after that. 

I believe the only change was on the heartrenders, adding the clause that if they don't descend from the sky by turn 4, theyre destroyed. Definitely space for a rewrite.

I think there are a few ways to make harpies playable. For lifetakers, they should be able to be made battleline somehow. Id also like to see them wounding on a 3+. Heartrenders now struggle because, for 10 points more, shadowstalkers outperform them in thir current job as objective stealing threats. So they need a new role that isn't immediately usurped by another unit, which is pretty tough in the current setup. 

One thing I think would help both types of harpies is if there was a way to manipulate their "on a 4+ do a 6 inch move" rule. If there was a way to reroll that, or add one to the roll (I think autopass is too good), I could see harpies having play. Heartrenders may still be taken because it's very difficult to fully zone off an objective if you're likely getting your move after shoot. Lifetakers are super squishy, but if you have a higher chance to get your move after you attack, then you can potentially mitigate that. Even now, a unit of 10 can punch above its weight class if it gets the right buffs, but they die 1/2 of the time because they can't move after attacking. But if that was more likely, you would be preserving your investment for longer. 

• Like 1