AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness / Darkoath Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Actually I had a weird idea I like more and more in the last time:
Each single of the Varanguard is a mighty Lord of Chaos on his own in the Lore. GW could simply allow using single Varanguads as Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount. I mean, it is either way the proxy of choice but this way gw could avoid cutting the rules while withdrawing the failcast model.

May be not the best idea but nevertheless a thought I´d like to share

Yeah I would like the save upgrade! I have 10 CK so that would make a big help.

Also would like to see the manticore have rend!!! The amount of times I chomp on someone and they go 'so 4 attacks what's the rend?' and I go 'oh he doesn't have any teeth it's all gums....no rend' 😂🤣

Then finally would be some unmarked loveliness or something for running them with Archaon as this is my biggest want. Just a middle of the road Archaon battalion that I can run Varanguard, maybe a Chaos champ, CWs and CK in a mortal managerie of loveliness 

My biggest wish is for a Chaos Knight charge to be terrifying, as it should be. Right now my opponents look at Chaos Knights as just a mediocre anvil that poses very little threat. A big unit of Chaos Knights should slam into their foe with tremendous force. Their charge should be just as powerful, if not more so, than a unit like Morrsarr Guard. These are mighty elite cavalry and should reflect that.  

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 2:42 AM, Cambot1231 said:

Hopefully a new ranged chaos Cannon would be nice 

Like a plastic war mammoth, It's not going to happen.  If it does that would be amazeballs, but I think that should a chaos dwarf army ever go plastic (based on nothing more than two plastic chaos dwarfs teased to us in the warcry boxes) then it would go there.  After all the Hellcannon was actually rented out by the chaos dwarfs to the chaos warriors in exchange for slaves in the old lore, so the chaos dwarfs army is really their spiritual home.  However....

That is not to say something that will give you a ranged attack isn't on the cards- may not be much but who knows.. ;)

17 hours ago, Naem said:

Yes!!!!This! I want a big bad cavalry army with backup by actual killers for Chaos Warriors by foot who put the fear in every enemy like they are supposed to.  Maybe some other cool new models/units as well. Something like super heavy armored Chaos Warriors. 

what like a dual kit for warriors and chosen for example? 

Now that would be very nice it if were to happen, and as a wishlist imagine knight chosen as well. 

The cities of sigmar tome gives us a tease of how the Slaves to Darkness/ Everchosen tome could be composed and armies built. It's a varied and myriad template opportunity that works for slaves very well, and the beauty of it is that for us it means a very low cost army in so far that like a cities army which can have one army but in reality could have several different builds without changing any of the models,  just swapping the city.

The other question for me is how will marks be dealt with, and also allegiences, and whether we say goodbye to marauders and the warcry warbands rise to take their place, if nothing else as 'generic tribesmen' kind of stuff. who knows.  It's safe to say that the marauder models have had their day, and should they decide on this course then fair enough.

Will some things from slaves work with god specific armies or will they say that unit X is a slaves unit and you can no longer use it to plug a weak point in your Blades/hedonites etc army.   This would make the god armies very distinctive in their own right in their composition, strengths and weaknesses.

For instance it would close the why knights/ varanguard when you can have skullcrushers? - well crushers are only a khorne army etc.

I'm sure it's happening this side of crimbo, and there may be a couple of nice easter eggs thrown in, but what makes a slaves army a slaves army will be at the core of it.

For my wishlist I'd like to see:

Characters

A chaos lord / sorcerer on dragon

Of all the slaves characters returning, I'd love a wulfrik again - Seafang was a portable realmgate by any other name, and he'd fit so well in the current lore.

Mammoth:

If we don't get a plastic centre peice I'd love to see the warscroll from FW be updated to allow me to do what I could in the Tamurkhan rules.

I'd love to have a different set of profiles so that I could use the mammoth as a character mount / warshrine /dedicated transport - it used to be able to carry Slaves infantry into battle and they could disembark from the howdah.

841793261_Tamurkhanthethroneofchaos.jpg.5de1c9f16533229d0a21aa445f16cf09.jpg

• Like 1

I'd like to see very old Chaos Champions like Valnir, Aekold Hellbrass, Hegrimm Van Horstmann and so on... or something that could remember them

I'd also like to see a chaos knights, that like past editions were a Wall of Iron and Steel

19 minutes ago, HMB said:

I'd like to see very old Chaos Champions like Valnir, Aekold Hellbrass, Hegrimm Van Horstmann and so on... or something that could remember them

I'd also like to see a chaos knights, that like past editions were a Wall of Iron and Steel

that would be a thing of beauty.  I do like a four legged army.

Excited to see if we get a reveal at the weekend. I’ve been painting up my Battleforce purchase in the colours of Slaanesh, but it would be very cool to be able to run an all mortal force with some Varanguard.

The Start Collecting will be a reboxing. New kits don’t go in SC boxes.

1 hour ago, tamthethird said:

Excited to see if we get a reveal at the weekend. I’ve been painting up my Battleforce purchase in the colours of Slaanesh, but it would be very cool to be able to run an all mortal force with some Varanguard.

The Start Collecting will be a reboxing. New kits don’t go in SC boxes.

Could be a new hero instead of the CSL.

Honestly the kits in the SC! Are ok beside warriors. Since i doubt that we will receive anything new but endless spells i do not see them repacking that for nothing, it will include something new.

12 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

Honestly the kits in the SC! Are ok beside warriors. Since i doubt that we will receive anything new but endless spells i do not see them repacking that for nothing, it will include something new.

Actually the current SC!-Kit is quite awesome. You get full 3 different Battlelines and a General.

Spoiler

Chariots are quite reasonable units, beeing fast and tanky enough to use them for some objective grabs. They are even big enough to misuse them as chaff.

Knights may lack quite a punch, especially without Charge and Lord on Mount-CA-Spam, but nevertheless are with 3hp and a 5+ against mortals still not as hideous, especially as battleline. I belive with current standarts a buff to -1 Rend on Glaives or even both weapons and a charge with -2 Rend and 2D is quite possible. Also a 3+ Save wouldn´t be unreasonable.

Warriors are...yeah, they suck. If you are not a moron like me you won´t try to utilise that 30 Warriors-Blobb and rather use 5 as back objective holders but then this is a job they can do quite fine, especially as they survive some shooting and mortals when equipped with shields.

The CSL also is not a bad unit, althrough pricey with 160pts. I am afraid that GW will cut his Horse as there is no sculpt out there and therefore my Conversion will be in quite a weird spot...Nevertheless the Deamonic Buff Spell is awesome and a free Mystic Shield is also nothing to be sniffed at. He just lacks his own lore and maybe a point reduction to compete.

All in all the current SC!-Box is really good worth and I would reccomend anyone who wants to gamble on a new tome to grab one.

Meanwhile, a new SC!-Box with Varanguards would be a way for gw to sell Varanguards somehow at a reasonable price again... A Box with a new Hero, 10-15 of the newly teased Warcry Guys and 3 Varanguards would be right now an instant buy

A new SC! (but I doubt there is new minis in it), a new battletome (hopefully with everchoosen in it ) , new endless spells and...that's it. That is what the leaks gave us few days ago.

Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger. I know, this is kind of bad news. I, as most of you - most of us -, expected a bit of novelty, some new units or o new general, preferably mounted on a monster (dragon? vyvern? whatever). I expected also a ranged unit like a big canon. But now, I am realistic: we have a tome, at last. ES is a nice bonus. A SC! , dunno if I need it. I already have 2 battleforces and a previous SC. (plus many chaos things like daemons princes etc...)

Now, my next target: archaon and the varanguards: too bad those fantastic riders are so expensive.

1 hour ago, shadowgra said:

Could be a new hero instead of the CSL.

Kind of hard to know - I don’t think there’s precedent for this? Like I don’t believe we’ve seen a re-release of a factions SC box before this point?

That means either a) Just an AoS 2 packaging update which I think is most likely (that’s the point btw - the current box uses the old logo and branding)

b) Same kits but with a new hero or c) totally new kits

They’ve shown with the big 2-faction boxes that they will include an exclusive hero with otherwise old kits, but this would be first time doing that with a SC box. I would love to be surprised though of course.

46 minutes ago, tamthethird said:

Kind of hard to know - I don’t think there’s precedent for this? Like I don’t believe we’ve seen a re-release of a factions SC box before this point?

That means either a) Just an AoS 2 packaging update which I think is most likely (that’s the point btw - the current box uses the old logo and branding)

b) Same kits but with a new hero or c) totally new kits

They’ve shown with the big 2-faction boxes that they will include an exclusive hero with otherwise old kits, but this would be first time doing that with a SC box. I would love to be surprised though of course.

Stormcast have had a couple of Start Collecting boxes, and the original one was effectively replaced by the box that comes with the Stormcast half of the old AoS core set. So there's precedent for SC re-releases/updates.

I'd be surprised to see new models make their debut in a SC, but it's not impossible. If I had to guess, I suspect they might do a box that comes with a warqueen, a bunch of Warcry folks, and something bigger like knights, a chariot, or maybe a warshrine. Alternatively, I could picture a SC! box that had the manticore hero kit in it as both the big model and the leader.

Varanguard in a SC! box strikes me as really unlikely - unless the SC! box was unusually expensive.

Hey guys. monitoring this thread as I am interested in starting a StD army. Got my eye on the Godsworn Battleforce box which still seems to be available in lots of places. Would people recommend that?

One thing putting me off is a bit of fear about the models. I am primarily a hobbyist, rather than a gamer, so I favour the new more dynamic models. The warriors look a bit uninspiring in single pose. But what is the rest of the army like? Is the manticore a good looking model?

FWIW i'd really like to see them build on the darkoath chieftain/warqueen models and the  new leaked warcry warband that looks similar. that would be an army aesthetic i could really get behind

The warriors of chaos are somewhat old but the actual unit type itself is pretty much not going to be removed. The rest of the box is all pretty new plastics so pretty much safe. 

You basically get a free warshrine plus a bit more in the set so its VERY worth it. Also note sometimes GW recalls those boxes near Christmas and once people realise that the rumours are legit and that new slaves is coming they are likely to pounce on them. Heck I'm tempted as I wanted to splice slaves into my slaanesh army and then steadily build a chaos force - scuppered totally by Ossiarch Bonereapers suddenly appearing 

• Like 1

Just to chime in on that, Amazon used to have the Battleforce box for $140 and a decent number in stock but it looks like those sold out and it's now $170 (with like 4 in stock) so I do think the rumors have been pushing people to buy the box; I did buy one on eBay last weekend for $140 though

4 hours ago, Darren2607 said:

Hey guys. monitoring this thread as I am interested in starting a StD army. Got my eye on the Godsworn Battleforce box which still seems to be available in lots of places. Would people recommend that?

One thing putting me off is a bit of fear about the models. I am primarily a hobbyist, rather than a gamer, so I favour the new more dynamic models. The warriors look a bit uninspiring in single pose. But what is the rest of the army like? Is the manticore a good looking model?

FWIW i'd really like to see them build on the darkoath chieftain/warqueen models and the  new leaked warcry warband that looks similar. that would be an army aesthetic i could really get behind

About the Manticore, a little trick. If you don't like the face of the manticore you can attach the mask/helmet of the chariot bloodbeast, I have done it and makes the manticore look pretty badass

• Like 2

Just chiming in as a nurgle player praying the marauders warscroll (easy +1 to hit mechanic) isn’t changed.. for purely selfish reasons. But the point is understood about using std units in a god specific army. My current nurgle tournament list uses 80 marauders LOL

One thing I'm not sure with the rumours though is the Harbingers. 

Malign Portents had 4 harbingers, representing 4 factions, SCE, NH, Gloomspite and Darkoath. SCE and NH both had large releases of new models. Gloomspite also had a large release of new models. Darkoath hasn't if this sales/price list leak is to be believed, and a fair few bits of it has already happened. 

Now it can be argued that Warcry is all the new releases, but the current warscrolls don't really hint at being Darkoath, and they are more akin to the Underworlds warbands, fun to use but with interesting rules, but not really designed to be part of the army. 

Having only recently taken the plunge with StDs, it's both exciting and frustrating to hear that the book maybe only a month away, as so much could change that it makes building up the models almost pointless, as it could all change. Part of the reason for me starting StDs was due to starting up Ogors as a project earlier in the year (March time), then they announced a new book was due not long after and I got bored of waiting after 4 months and no news, so my current StD project will be going on hold until after xmas, as I dive back into the Ogors, because if the rumours are true, then starting the army now is just a waste of limited hobby time. 

In an ideal world, a longer release schedule would be great, it would help way more with budgeting and dedicating time to projects 😂

See and I'm the opposite.  I loved Slaves but I was planning on using them as a calvary force.  The changes to the difference Daemons (Slaan-mostly) killed that.  So I shelved them.  I heard the rumors but Ogors just seem more fun and I don't own Destruction.  So I've bought a massive amount of Ogors now, and I'm not sure when/if I'll get back to my boys in black.  Chaos will always be my primary but I'm just... tired of being treated like a second-class citizen.  We won the damned war.  Chaos won.  What do we get for that?  A reset-button.

• Sad 1