AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Has anyone thought of trying Scyla? Hit him with blood sacrifice for a couple turns to buff his attacks, then turn 3 or so whip him and launch at the nearest enemy. Single model so it's easy to buff and he's the same price as a unit of blood warriors for better damage. 

3 hours ago, Luke1705 said:

Two qualifiers I’ll add about reapers vs Bloodlords:

1) the d3 battleshock ability is made more situational by the range; however the Bloodlords ability is situational in who it targets. Good when it applies but not worth writing home about.

2) Bloodlords get more stuff because they don’t need to set aside so much CP for extra activations, and they can also take the blood hungerer relic 

Bears more testing but double pile ins are just so good it’s hard to give that up.

What would Bloodhunger relic do for Bloodlords? Won’t the Halo of Blood trigger all the BTs anyway? 

9 hours ago, kahadin said:

For me personally I feel like there is not really a bb hammer in the mortals. If anyone finds it let me know. I don't have any bloodthirsters right now and don't relish buying or painting them. 

Lord on Juggernaut with Disciple of Khorne + Gorecleaver should be fun. Requires you to build around it a bit and not as strong as a Bloodthirster in most cases, but he's got his perks (cheaper, 3+ save, whippable, etc).

Anyway with that combo he'll be at 5 attacks base, 3+/3+/-2/D3 with unmodified wound rolls of 6 doing 6 Damage each due to Gorecleaver double damage plus his default daemonic axe ability. Throw in a Bloodstoker for reroll to wound. Additional attacks from Bloodsecrator, Wrathmongers, AD. Killing Frenzy from a priest, etc etc.

D3 Mortals on the charge on a 2+ for a little more punch.

Haven't tried it yet but planning on it.

Currently putting together a Chaos Lord on Manticore as a possible alternative General (sticking primarily to mortals) and wondering everybodies thoughts - he is a fair bit more expensive than many options (250) but comes in at a more healthy 12 wounds.  Will be running Goretide so the command ability on something with a bigger base could have a reasonable coverage in comparison to a 40mm base?

34 minutes ago, Kazimer said:

Whats the thoughts on Skull Cannons now? Are they worth taking in the reroll hits battalion? Or would I be better off just babysitting a unit of 3 with a slaughterpriest and save the 140 points?

Disclaimer: I don't own any Skull Cannons (nor do I honestly plan to) so this is what I've heard from others.

Skull Cannons plus Wrathmongers seem to be the rage as the Wrathmonger bonus attacks doesn't specify melee weapons... so they can shoot twice. The Locus of Fury on Daemon Heroes also doesn't state melee hit rolls, just hit rolls, so they can re-roll their 1's to hit when shooting.  That almost makes Gorethunder Cohort redundant outside of reducing the number of drops you get.  And, if they kill something in combat with any weapon (no longer just the Gnashing Maw), they get to shoot again.

I don't expect the Wrathmongers increasing the amount of shots on Skull Cannons (or any ranged weapon, really. Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster's Bloodflail has 2 attacks, ouch!) to stick around, but if you have the models, might as well try it out.

48 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Currently putting together a Chaos Lord on Manticore as a possible alternative General (sticking primarily to mortals) and wondering everybodies thoughts - he is a fair bit more expensive than many options (250) but comes in at a more healthy 12 wounds.  Will be running Goretide so the command ability on something with a bigger base could have a reasonable coverage in comparison to a 40mm base?

People have been saying to run him with Dimensional Blade to get + -1 rend on all his weapons (not Mount though) or whatever it does and use him as a hammer unit (probably in addition to other units) 

36 minutes ago, AresX8 said:

I don't expect the Wrathmongers increasing the amount of shots on Skull Cannons (or any ranged weapon, really. Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster's Bloodflail has 2 attacks, ouch!) to stick around, but if you have the models, might as well try it out.

Why wouldn't it stick around?  Recent releases like the Warp lightning cannon can be buffed a lot to destroy face and Celestar ballistas are really good at 100 points.

The GW / community Khorne play testers would have been using tons of skull cannons with Wrathmongers and they thought it was relatively balanced at 140 points. I'd be surprised if they got rid of it after so much play testing.

56 minutes ago, Galdenistal said:

Why wouldn't it stick around?  Recent releases like the Warp lightning cannon can be buffed a lot to destroy face and Celestar ballistas are really good at 100 points.

The GW / community Khorne play testers would have been using tons of skull cannons with Wrathmongers and they thought it was relatively balanced at 140 points. I'd be surprised if they got rid of it after so much play testing.

It's not that it would be super op,  but generally khorne isn't known for their shooting so giving that shooting a large buff feels very odd. It makes sense for skaven because they've always had a strong ranged component but khorne hasn't. Add the fact that the wording could very easily have been overlooked and missed by playtesters who assumed it worked the same as last edition, and it seems pretty likely to get removed. 

Don't get me wrong. I'll be really happy to finally have an excuse to pick up skull cannons if it stays as is, but it just feels like a mistake. 

Edited by Grimrock

20 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

What is the combo people are using for Skull Cannons? Just Cannons with 5x Mongers?

Nah 2 cannons a bloodletter and wrathmongers its 500 points for 4 shots that repeat 1s. I like the murdershot ball and can defend themself in melee too and then extra shoot. But they are FAR away for been OP. If they nerf the warmongers well cannons become from  normal to unusable again. Also you need to remember you could shoot twice on old battletome with 2 different battalions and now you cant.   So i think its a intended changel.

So I have to bring this up. For blood warriors it is one in every 10 models can get a glaive and one in every 10 can get an icon. 

Is there anything definitive that says a 5 man squad cannot get glaives and icons. Normally the restrictive wording would be "for every ten models you may..." 

6 minutes ago, kahadin said:

So I have to bring this up. For blood warriors it is one in every 10 models can get a glaive and one in every 10 can get an icon. 

Is there anything definitive that says a 5 man squad cannot get glaives and icons. Normally the restrictive wording would be "for every ten models you may..." 

5 can get an icon, its 10 for a glaive. And note they changed it so the leader cant take the glaive. 

Looking for clarity on summoned units and Slaughterhosts. If for example your running reapers vengeance and you summon a bloodthirster does it get the perks from your Host? or is it only models that "started" in your army that benefit from the hosts. By perks i mean the static ability and the command ability as the artifact and trait are bound to a general or starting hero from the army and lost if he/they die? Also to add to that from the host does every model eligible within the host get the command ability / ability you get from the host? or just one model? As i can't see where it says "all models in your slaughterhost are eligible to take the command ability etc from the host" just so there's no tears and anger from my opponents if i choose to go reapers and get off a bunch of attacks with multiple bloodthirsters before they attack. cheers and thanks

5 hours ago, Xasz said:

Redundancy.

Sometimes models are not in range, stuff dies or something went wrong.

More than just redundancy. If I’m playing against a triple or quadruple bloodthirster list, I have a few tactical options vs the always go first guy when it’s my turn.

1) Have something of mine that can always go first and charge in guns blazing

2) Go in guns blazing (hopefully with multiple units) even if I don’t have the ability to fight before the special thirster

3) Ignore him, don’t charge him, and kill the rest of the army

3 is by far the most predominant tactic if you can’t do 1. If your thirster isn’t in combat, you can’t activate him first.

So a couple ways to prevent the opponent from taking tactic #3:

+ have a second thirster who can fight first sometimes (blood hungerer)

+ take advantage of the unfettered fury or exalted thirster’s “you don’t get to fall back from me” ability to ensure that something has to be in combat with you (assuming that that is your always go first thirster)

But also redundancy is good as stuff does die

2 minutes ago, Impa said:

Looking for clarity on summoned units and Slaughterhosts. If for example your running reapers vengeance and you summon a bloodthirster does it get the perks from your Host? or is it only models that "started" in your army that benefit from the hosts. By perks i mean the static ability and the command ability as the artifact and trait are bound to a general or starting hero from the army and lost if he/they die? Also to add to that from the host does every model eligible within the host get the command ability / ability you get from the host? or just one model? As i can't see where it says "all models in your slaughterhost are eligible to take the command ability etc from the host" just so there's no tears and anger from my opponents if i choose to go reapers and get off a bunch of attacks with multiple bloodthirsters before they attack. cheers and thanks

RAW I would say the command ability is available to everyone who can use it inside of that slaughter host.

The question on whether a summoned daemon unit belongs to a slaughterhost is a good one. I think that would need an FAQ, it's possible to have multiple slaughterhosts within your army. I imagine the answer will be you decide the keyword when you summon them in and then they function as normal.

2 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

People have been saying to run him with Dimensional Blade to get + -1 rend on all his weapons (not Mount though) or whatever it does and use him as a hammer unit (probably in addition to other units) 

The dimensional blade is pick one weapon and change it to -3, not add extra rend to all weapons.

Gore cleaver is pick one weapon, add an extra -1 rend, and 6s to wound double the damage.

Goretide Command trait is add 1 damage to the generals melee weapons. 

20 minutes ago, Kazimer said:

5 can get an icon, its 10 for a glaive. And note they changed it so the leader cant take the glaive. 

It appears that the wording is identical on the current warscroll for both glaives and icons... So no Icons in a 5 man right?

3 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

If you try out the Goretide Dimensional Blade verison let me know how it goes! On paper, for 250, you can get 6 attacks at 3+ 3+ -3rend 2 dmg and the Lance (on charge) 3 attacks 3+ 3+ -1 Rend 4 dmg and then the mount attacks. For 250 that's insane potential if things go right. The big thing that people shoudn't forget is that he could be on 1 Wound and his 2 melee weapons stay the same. That's a big deal IMO. Unllike BTs and other monsters who get worse. 

• Like 1