AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

We can only really expect adjustments to lowering our points. Theres nothing that's inherently broken/op/needs a bump. Many of the meh units need a 10/20/30 PT drop to do some work that is worth it. However it will not fix the general 'nothing is amazong' in the book, unless something is so far changed it becomes spammable.

However it's very encouraging they aren't just leaving all the recent books where they are.

• Like 1

Personally, I think that reavers need to be 60, letters need to be 100, crushers need to be 130. Skull cannons, Blood throne, and the herald on juggernaut need changes to their warscroll to make them playable. Also, who wants blood tithe to not reset? This dosen't seem op compared to HOS summoning, and it wouldn't improve Khorne that much, just make it more fun to play. Additionally, I think Khorgoraths need to be 90 and skullreapers need to be 160. These two are fine were they are, but most other armies have aggressively priced units and i would love to see a competetive list that isn't bloodthirster spam. IDK, tell me what you guys think

• Like 1

Marauder horsemen going down in points is a good sign. Hopefully other STD units have also dropped opening up some new possibilities.

I think anything book changing like tithe points nifty resetting or more priest keywords is unlikely at this point.

I’m still painting through my back catalogue and have preordered the book so just have to wait.

• Like 1

We could already need some adjustments at the actual warscrolls. If they would adjust point values only, I don't know if that would make the turn.

Juggerlord would still suck, but less at 120 points, or maybe even 100 points.
I would see Bloodletters at 80, maybe 90 points, since they became a pure spam unit.
Reavers at 60 would be just ok I guess, so would be on pare with ungors then.
Blood Warriors, IMO, I see at 80 for 5 of them. They are just cahff units and hit like feathers.
Skullreapers at 150 or 160 would be kind of ok.
Khorgorath back to 80 would be nice, 90 would be okeyish.
Even some of the heroes would be more valuable at 60, such as Skullgrinder. He isn't buffing units when he gained kills anymore, so I see him at 60.
Flesh Hounds are kind of ok for 100, but 90 would do.

Due to the most profiles our army became a spam army, that isn't reliably playable with elites. So points will have to show that IMO.

BT points and not being spent at once would fix a lot of issues. Would also be ok to have them limited at 8 points then.

Due to the BT table I would really say it would be more fluffy and rulewise fitting, if they would count the slain models. therefore adjust the point values, not make it limited and not make it spent at once. So model count would IMO be the better way to go. Because Khorne wants skulls and therefore every single one counts!

Edited by Battlefury
  • Like 1

What I would like to see is some kind of new way to play, I also have a side project in 40k and the flexibility and replay value in some of the mission types is far beyond that of AoS.

Maybe some mission types of scenarios that promote better play and not just "hur hur I brought two units of 30 kill boys."

1 hour ago, MOMUS said:

What I would like to see is some kind of new way to play, I also have a side project in 40k and the flexibility and replay value in some of the mission types is far beyond that of AoS.

Maybe some mission types of scenarios that promote better play and not just "hur hur I brought two units of 30 kill boys."

With the new meeting engagements ruleset I bet this GHB will be great for you.

Or you could pick up a pack of open war cards and design missions / draw missions based on that. 

In terms of replay value, I have to agree that maelstrom from 40k just beats out any other mission really imo. Same game can go many many ways.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Battlefury said:

We could already need some adjustments at the actual warscrolls. If they would adjust point values only, I don't know if that would make the turn.

Juggerlord would still suck, but less at 120 points, or maybe even 100 points.
I would see Bloodletters at 80, maybe 90 points, since they became a pure spam unit.
Reavers at 60 would be just ok I guess, so would be on pare with ungors then.
Blood Warriors, IMO, I see at 80 for 5 of them. They are just cahff units and hit like feathers.
Skullreapers at 150 or 160 would be kind of ok.
Khorgorath back to 80 would be nice, 90 would be okeyish.
Even some of the heroes would be more valuable at 60, such as Skullgrinder. He isn't buffing units when he gained kills anymore, so I see him at 60.
Flesh Hounds are kind of ok for 100, but 90 would do.

Due to the most profiles our army became a spam army, that isn't reliably playable with elites. So points will have to show that IMO.

BT points and not being spent at once would fix a lot of issues. Would also be ok to have them limited at 8 points then.

Due to the BT table I would really say it would be more fluffy and rulewise fitting, if they would count the slain models. therefore adjust the point values, not make it limited and not make it spent at once. So model count would IMO be the better way to go. Because Khorne wants skulls and therefore every single one counts!

Exactly my thoughts. Especially about skulls for BT.

Even thought about "worhty skulls" where more wounds, being character, being monster and being named will provide more BT. For example lets call this rule "Blood and Skulls": "Every 8 wounds of slain models worth 1 bt. Add 1 bt for every keyword "hero, monster, unique" of slain model regardless of its wounds".

So maybe when our bloodthirsters will die in glory amongst bloodied corpses we will have almost enought points to bring him back or cast blood rain.

What could be better than enemy that thought: "Damn Khornates! We should avoid the blood to be spilled or we are done!"

Edited by Laier
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fwlr said:

Or you could pick up a pack of open war cards and design missions / draw missions based on that. 

In terms of replay value, I have to agree that maelstrom from 40k just beats out any other mission really imo. Same game can go many many ways.

I picked up the open war cards ages ago thinking they would be like the 40k data cards.... they are not lol

maesltrom in AoS would be great

20 hours ago, Smooth criminal said:

Also do crew and cannon count as separate units for blood tithes?

They are treated as separate units for all rules purposes, so I'd say that's 2 blood tithes. Even if cannons don't have anything like blood.

20 hours ago, Smooth criminal said:

Do we care about that?

Not too much. The biggest draw back of ironweld things is that to remove their ability to hurt you just have to remove 3-4  6+ wounds. (IE the crew) Cannons might be a big threat to us, but there are so many ways for other armies to kill the crew it most likely still won't be used. I could be wrong though. We'll see.

13 hours ago, Battlefury said:

This would also make playing khorne less like a chess match where you are thinking several steps ahead of your opponent. Would let new bloods get punished for their mistakes less(and in general). They might give us this. Probably not, but I can hope.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MOMUS said:

15 hours ago, fwlr said:

The thing I loved about AOS over 40k was the ability to be tabled and win. Now that they brought it to 40k I'm hopeing AOS will do the next big mission thing. As far as BOK point we'll have to wait till july I guess but at least its free

I am contemplating adding a Khorne Demon Prince to my (almost exclusively) demon army. I know there has been some chatter about him here, but as time passes, things change.

What are peoples' current thoughts about the inclusion of one, how to use it, how to equip it, etc.?

I am running Bloodlords with Tyrants (one of each regular Bloodthirster), juggers, and flesh hounds.

On 6/15/2019 at 3:07 AM, Smooth criminal said:

Soo, ironweld cannons are 140 now and they shoot two times, kinda like pre-nerf skullcannons. Do we care about that?

Also do crew and cannon count as separate units for blood tithes?

to be fair, the skullcanon is much faster, more resilient (can't be crew sniped), have a respectful melee profile and also shoot in the melee phase (including the opponent's) if he kill someone in melee.

7 minutes ago, frostfire said:

Quick question here: it the prayer for the slaughter priest works like magic? Can he chant one prayer of his own and one from the prayer list in a turn?

He can do a prayer, blessing  and judgment all in the same turn.

@everyone

This has been covered multiple times in this thread, now that it’s reached the 200+ mark I’ve noticed a lot of repeat debates, questions etc should we insert a FAQ in a post on the first page?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MOMUS said:

He can do a prayer, blessing  and judgment all in the same turn.

@everyone

This has been covered multiple times in this thread, now that it’s reached the 200+ mark I’ve noticed a lot of repeat debates, questions etc should we insert a FAQ in a post on the first page?

I like the idea of an pinned FAQ but I do not know if the people who are able to change the initial post have the ressources to gather these questions together

I would have another question.

The Reapers of Vengeance ( is it command ability ) allows a demon unit to pile in once more. The rules says:

"You can use this command ability at the start of the
combat phase. If you do so, pick 1 friendly REAPERS
OF VENGEANCE DAEMON unit wholly within 8" of a
friendly DAEMON model with this command ability.
After that unit has fought in the combat phase for
the first time, if it is within 3" of an enemy unit it can
immediately make a pile-in move and then attack
with all of the melee weapons it is armed with for a
second time."

Does that mean, it can only be used once? Or cna I stack it, until I have emptied my command points?

On the Bloodthirsters, you can either build them as flying or on the ground with the right leg (literally the first step in the assmbly). I'm just wondering if the flying one makes him less stable? I'm guessing the on the ground one is better (also makes him slightly lower), but does anyone have any advice to which is better?

There's not much difference really. Surprisingly the grounded one is slightly less stable, as it has a smaller contact point and thinner attachment to the foot.

Also, the fire looks cool. And makes it look bigger which is also cooler. Comes down to that mines bigger than yours argument😂

You'll notice that the grounded one still has a small bit of flame, so that's another reason I think that the larger flame is better as it means there's more area to paint it and it complements the model better.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mikeymajq said:

On the Bloodthirsters, you can either build them as flying or on the ground with the right leg (literally the first step in the assmbly). I'm just wondering if the flying one makes him less stable? I'm guessing the on the ground one is better (also makes him slightly lower), but does anyone have any advice to which is better?

I like the ground one, but I think if you have multiple it can help the models look different.

Unrelated to the above I just finished reaching all 208 pages of this thread, plus scoured all kinds of dark nooks on the internet but couldn't find anything really addressing this question, which I find a little surprising.

The question has to do with the Tyrants of Blood battalion and the Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury's command trait. It seems pretty clear read as written that you need to be within 3" of an enemy to trigger the additional Bloodthirsters even with the Unfettered's command ability to let you pile in 6".

Thus the question is can Tyrants of Blood trigger on Bloodthirsters outside of 3" but within 6" that are affected by the Unfettered Furys command ability?

• Like 1