AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

2 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Yea it's basically a "Tax". So if you had Zero Battalions, the only Item you can take is the Forced Item.

I agree that's likely. If so, that's a poor way to phrase it. Just say "this artefact must be in your list" or any number of other phrasing.  

37 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I agree that's likely. If so, that's a poor way to phrase it. Just say "this artefact must be in your list" or any number of other phrasing.  

Well I'm sure when they made SCE 2.0 (and their 8 stormhosts..) they weren't thinking about making the best worded phrases!

• Like 1

Generals handbook next week boys! Exciting stuff!

I'm really interested in new missions. Not that I've played at all since the last one, but hopefully that means my first game can be with new missions people haven't got used to yet.

On an aside, I painted a MLoK yesterday in around 4-5 hours excluding base using the new contrast paints and a couple highlights afterwards. They are simply fantastic. The flesh is beautiful, the orange is perfect and the black works wonders, making it very easy to do (and get right) unlike it is usually. However I found that you must be very careful with its application on cloaks and loincloths as his big cape went pretty blotchy unfortunately. However the orange on the flesh hound I did is VERY nice. That followed by a drybrush looks amazing, then pick out the details with different colours and the model looks great.

I seriously recommend getting to your local store on Saturday early to pick up what you want, because GW is already sold out of many colours and the popular ones will go VERY quickly.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 3:05 AM, Darksteve said:

Forgive my ignorance but how do you teleport karnack and another unit?

There's a "The Boundless Hunt" battalion in Wrath&Rapture. It's currently legal in builder and costs 130pt.

It needs Karanak, 1x letters, 1x doggos, 1x bloodcrushers.

The ability is 'At the beginning of your hero phase Karanak and any number of units from the battalion wholly within 12" of him can teleport within 12" of Karanak's quarry and more than 9" from enemy, they can't move in subsequent movement phase'.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Smooth criminal said:

There's a "The Boundless Hunt" battalion in Wrath&Rapture. It's currently legal in builder and costs 130pt.

It needs Karanak, 1x letters, 1x doggos, 1x bloodcrushers.

The ability is 'At the beginning of your hero phase Karanak and any number of units from the battalion wholly within 12" of him can teleport within 12" of Karanak's quarry and more than 9" from enemy, they can't move in subsequent movement phase'.

Brutal! Only thing is Karanak will need to get closer to the target before the next hero phase before he can summon more yappers. If your opponent is clever they will fall back or aim to gun Karanak down before he gets the chance. Still, it's a great way to redeploy if you need to.

1 hour ago, RussianBot454 said:

Brutal! Only thing is Karanak will need to get closer to the target before the next hero phase before he can summon more yappers. If your opponent is clever they will fall back or aim to gun Karanak down before he gets the chance. Still, it's a great way to redeploy if you need to.

You can attempt a charge after the teleport though. And all our flesh hounds including karanak get reroll charge. At 9" it is a long shot but the probability is around 48%.

1 hour ago, Retro said:

You can attempt a charge after the teleport though. And all our flesh hounds including karanak get reroll charge. At 9" it is a long shot but the probability is around 48%.

Yep and if you need the summon then you'd obviously charge in - you'd just need to survive long enough so you get the chance to summon them, as summoning the doggos occurs in your hero phase when he's within 8".

Just have to be careful as a lot can happen if your opponent gets a double turn.

20 minutes ago, MOMUS said:

That's a pretty tight summoning space to fit in, within 12 but 9 away. Not sure if you could physically fit the battalion?

Yeah I think it's made for smaller games. You won't get a 30 man blob teleporting with it, but you should be able to transport the minimum amount if the quarry is exposed.

Can't see it working in a competitive format as it requires too much investment but it's got to be a fun battalion for beginners!

2 hours ago, MOMUS said:

That's a pretty tight summoning space to fit in, within 12 but 9 away. Not sure if you could physically fit the battalion?

It's  within  12", not wholly within. Meaning 1 guy out of each teleported unit has to be within 12", rest might as well dangle across the board.

And you choose the prey after deployment so you have a good chance of pulling this off unless opponent is some kind of horde.

• Like 1

Didn't know we had a teleport battalion. That's kind of neat.

- I've got a tournament coming up on the 30th and was trying to decide between these 2 lists. I like them both, so I'm rather split. Help? 

List 1: 2,000pts, 7 drops, skull fiends tribe

Spoiler

- Slaughterborn:

Exalted deathbringer with impaling spear + mark of the destroyer

3x5 blood warriors

3x5 skullreapers

- Blood thirster of insensate rage - general + crowncleaver

- Bloodsecrator

- 2x slaughterpriests - killing frenzy, bronzed flesh

- 2x5 wrathmongers

List 2: 2,000pts, 9 drops, skull fiends tribe

Spoiler

- Brass Despoilers:

Doombull - general

Doombull - crowncleaver

2x 10 gors + shields

6 Bullgors + axes

- Bloodsecrator - banner of wrath

- 2x Slaughterpriests

- 2x5 wrathmongers

- 2x5 skullreapers

- 10 bloodreavers

Hexgorger skulls

Another little tought I´ve had:

A Daemon Prince of Khorne with the Artifact Blade from Ulgu that gives D6 MW´s on a to Hit of 6+ against Heroes and Monsters is a nice blender. Due to the inherited +1 to hit due to the mark of khorne it already triggers on a 5+, with Killing Frenzy on a 2+. Also, as it has the Daemon-Keyword, you can fight twice when playing the right Slaughterhost.

I'm thinking about putting this together as a MW-focused list that asks the opponent to constantly adjust their threat-assessment of the table. Looking for feedback. I was think about an Aspiring Deathbringer as the General instead of the Skullgrinder, but I felt like the Command points would more often get spent on the Goretide ability or to save a unit from battleshock, and the Skullgrinder with Hew the For is not a bad bodyguard for the other support heroes.1255154204_ScreenShot2019-06-10at11_00_49PM.png.f3094e23f56d6741b33cf8a0ad7e8376.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 11.01.49 PM.png

Edited by Sleepa
List was a PDF

Battle Report time again!

Heres a link to the preview post from a previous page;

My opponent fronted up with a Change Host Battalion; 1 x Lord of Change, 1 x blue Scribes, 3 x 10 Pink Horrors, 3 x 10 Blue Horrors & 2 x 10 Brimstone Horrors (if you don’t know, the battalion allows him to swap 2 units with one another in the hero phase, and he can do it twice!). It’s a real tricky battalion but you have to know how to use it to get the most out of it.

Making up the 2000 points was a Gaunt Summoner with familiars and the Aethervoid Pendulum.

This is actually intended to be a tournament list whereas I was running a bit of gamble list to see how it would go.

He had 2 drops to my 3 so even though I won the roll off and chose the side (choosing the side with Arcane terrain to deny it to him) he chose who went first.

We played Battle for the Pass and he was nervous about the damage I could do with a double-turn and so made me go first.

I did the only thing I could which was to run everything forward as far as I could.

1 x 5 hounds on the far left, 30 x bloodletters up the middle with both bloodthirsters (Wraith of Khorne and Unfettered Fury) and bloodsecrator in behind (carefully ensuring they all keep the unit wholly within 16”), 2 x 5 hounds on the right along with the bloodcrushers and skullmaster. 1 x 5 hounds hanging a back a little to be sacrificed by the Slaughterpriest in range of the altar. I successfully earned a blood tithe point which I immediately spent for a CP. Ended the turn with 5VP

Tzeentch looked to unleash the magic as only he can however I had 7 unbinds (2 with a +2 modifier), plus the bloodsecrator and altar to make life difficult.

The highlight was the Gaunt Summoner casting his horde eating spell, only for the Wraith of Khorne to roll a natural 8 with Mage Eater and rolled up a 6 for the D6 mortal wounds.

No magic of consequence was allowed through and so several screens of blue and brimstone horrors moved up to shoot the bloodletters didn’t charge.

This is when the Unfettered Fury Bloodthirster’s command ability came into play, allowing my bloodletters and a unit of flesh hounds to pile into combat, gaining me 6” of free movement in the process.

I did substantial damage spread across several units and managed a bloodtithe point or 2. He wasn’t able to capture the side objectives so only 1VP for Tzeentch.

I won priority for Round 2 and pretty much hit the repeat button, charging in with flesh hounds and blood crushers that weren’t already in combat from the previous turn.

Popping the Unfettered Fury’s command ability again to ensure the bloodletters weren’t too badly held up, wiping out all the screens in front of me and securing another 5VP.

Turn 2 for Tzeentch went pretty much the same as the first turn.

Apart from the pendulum killing some blood letters he didn’t get off any spells of note (spending bloodtithe certainly helped).

He used the Battalion ability to swap the Lord of Change, who had been left exposed, with a pink horror unit but that was about it and could only earn another 1VP.

I won priority again and it was looking over by this point but we decided to play on as it was proving to be a fun game.

I continued my advance up the table, smashing into the latest screens of horrors and clearing a path to the Tzeentch home objective, taking all 9VP on offer.

Tzeentch’s turn 3 was a little more effective as he did 12 mortal wounds to the Wraith of Khorne Bloodthirster with one spell… ouch!

He also summoned around 50 Blue Horror into his back field in preparation for my final charge.

He then won priority for Round 4 so I spent 5 blood tithe for my bloodletters to fight in the hero phase.

They finished off the Gaunt Summoner and a unit of horrors, immediately earning me back 2 bloodtithe in preparation for the next magic phase J

He finished off the blood letters and Wraith of Khorne Bloodthirster but lost the Blue Scribes.

In my turn 4 I sent the Unfettered Fury into the Lord of Change, attacking twice with Reapers of Vengeance.

One round of melee was enough so he wiped a unit of horrors with his second attack.

Round 5 was a formality and the game finished with a solitary blue horror on the table while I still had half my starting forces, having not summoned a single unit.

Thoughts:

Being my first time running an almost all daemon list I didn’t know what to expect but the army performed really well.

Magic is becoming more and more common in our local meta and for the game in general I feel so having 7 unbinds was great.

The true MVP is the Unfettered Fury and that crazy 6” pile in.

Not only can it mess with your opponent’s plans (do they get in range when they prob didn’t want to engage in melee that early or do they hang further back then they want to and make it harder to control the table?) but it is a really useful tool for getting some bonus movement out of the not very fast Bloodletters, or ensuring they can still surge forward even while engaged in melee.

I found this meant I was holding my Thirsters back as support pieces and injecting them into the game later as scalpels rather than alpha striking battering rams. Against a shooting army that tactic will likely come unstuck, but against a melee army or any army who relies on ranged damage from magic it can work.

I am going to play the same opponent with the same list again shortly as we want to see if he can play in a way that can cope with me getting the double turn and seeing if that is a better strategy (tournament prep etc).

Only change I will make is to give the Crimson Crown to the Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury as I was pretty much popping that ability every melee phase, mine and his, so the Crown will get a lot more work done.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Charleston said:

Another little tought I´ve had:

A Daemon Prince of Khorne with the Artifact Blade from Ulgu that gives D6 MW´s on a to Hit of 6+ against Heroes and Monsters is a nice blender. Due to the inherited +1 to hit due to the mark of khorne it already triggers on a 5+, with Killing Frenzy on a 2+. Also, as it has the Daemon-Keyword, you can fight twice when playing the right Slaughterhost.

Definitely, I love my prince for this reason.

one thing to note is you can only get 1 killing frenzy on him so the exploding 6 effect goes off on a 4 now.

• Like 1

@Agent of Chaos

How did it feel not having as much emphasis on Slaughterpriests? Hexgorger Skulls don't seem that relevant for your list since you have so much anti-magic going on, but I can see the -2 helping all of the unbinds you have, where would you find the points though I don't know XD.
I'm also curious why you took a Skullmaster and not something like Skulltaker, who costs exactly the same and is an absolute monstrosity in combat. Maybe speed?

I do agree with the Unfettered Fury a lot, he seems to be an incredibly important piece for heavy Daemon armies. I've also come to the conclusion that Crimson Crown is one of the strongest artifacts on him. 

11 hours ago, Sleepa said:

I'm thinking about putting this together as a MW-focused list that asks the opponent to constantly adjust their threat-assessment of the table. Looking for feedback. I was think about an Aspiring Deathbringer as the General instead of the Skullgrinder, but I felt like the Command points would more often get spent on the Goretide ability or to save a unit from battleshock, and the Skullgrinder with Hew the For is not a bad bodyguard for the other support heroes.1255154204_ScreenShot2019-06-10at11_00_49PM.png.f3094e23f56d6741b33cf8a0ad7e8376.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 11.01.49 PM.png

At a minimum I would consider amberglaive on the IR thirster instead of the scales.

14 hours ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

Didn't know we had a teleport battalion. That's kind of neat.

- I've got a tournament coming up on the 30th and was trying to decide between these 2 lists. I like them both, so I'm rather split. Help? 

List 1: 2,000pts, 7 drops, skull fiends tribe

Reveal hidden contents

- Slaughterborn:

Exalted deathbringer with impaling spear + mark of the destroyer

3x5 blood warriors

3x5 skullreapers

- Blood thirster of insensate rage - general + crowncleaver

- Bloodsecrator

- 2x slaughterpriests - killing frenzy, bronzed flesh

- 2x5 wrathmongers

List 2: 2,000pts, 9 drops, skull fiends tribe

Reveal hidden contents

- Brass Despoilers:

Doombull - general

Doombull - crowncleaver

2x 10 gors + shields

6 Bullgors + axes

- Bloodsecrator - banner of wrath

- 2x Slaughterpriests

- 2x5 wrathmongers

- 2x5 skullreapers

- 10 bloodreavers

Hexgorger skulls

I think the first list will serve you much better than the second. Why skullfiend tribe though?

@AresX8

I dont own any judgements so they havent become a factor in my planning as yet however I think the Hexgorger Skulls would have been useful that game. As the game was mostly played in his half, having one Priest wasnt really a factor. I think he was in range for one bloodboil the whole game with his main role being Blood Sacrifice and an unbind each round. 

Why did I take a Skullmaster? I dont own a Skulltaker for a start! Besides that I've never used him before and thought his speed would be handy for keeping up with the hounds and bloodcrushers who would otherwise be without hero support. Plus he is likely to be dismissed as a threat and if he could get a sneaky charge onto a Gaunt Summoner or Blue Scribes etc I would back him to get the job done. 

Really looking forward to running the Unfettered Fury with the Crimson Crown next game. So many shenanigans!

Okay, first time doing this, but battle report time! 

This is a 1000 point battle against skaven (y'all already know how it ends). 

My list

Bloodsecrator (general w/thronebreakers thorc), bloodstoker, sliaghterpriest (blood sacrifice)

2x10 reavers, 10 blood warriors, 5 blood warriors, 5 skullreapers, wrath axe

His list

Warlock bombardier, warlock engineer

6 stormfiends, 2x20 clanrats, soulsnare shackles

We each got 18" up from the table edge to deploy, and objectives would randomly appear after the first round in one of our thirds. 

Setup

He placed two nawholes in my backline, and one in his. He placed his clanrats near said nawhole, and his stormfiends on the right (my right) supported by his heros.

I placed my alter as far up as I could. I then put my heros behind it to try and have cover. On my right I had my 10 bloodwarriors with my skullreapers behind and on the other flank I had 10 reavers with 5 bloodwarriors. I kept the other ten reavers to screen the middle and hopefully get me some blood tithe. 

Round 1

He went first, buffing his fiends and shooting my priest down to 1 health. He also summoned in some shackles in front of my right flank. On my turn, I failed all my prayers, and figured I would just advance. I could've gotten my bloodwarriors into combat with the command ability, but I figured they'd just die. I decided to leave the charge for next turn so I could also go in with my reapers. If he got the first turn, it would hurt a bit, but I thought it would be fine (first time vs skaven, don't judge). 

Round 2

He won the roll off and the objectives came down, both symetrically across each other on the left third of the board. Literally the worst outcome for me. Then he proceeded to shoot my skullreapers clean off the board. He sent 20 clanrats to his objective and 20 more to mine through his nawhole. Now I was thoroughly confounded. I decided I could go in against the fiends with the bulk of my force and then sweep around to claim his objective. The other part of my army could get my objective along with some daemons I could summon in. I did get blood sacrifice off, but nothing else. Then I sent my blood warriors and my bloodsecrator at the fiends and they did pretty good damage. Taking out 2 fiends, 1 more from battleshock. 2 damage bloodsecrator is surprisingly good. On a side note, we weren't sure if the bloodsecrator buffed himself, anyone here know? I also tried to get 5 bloodwarriors and reavers onto my objective but missed the charge. As for my casualties, I had a large chunk of warriors killed, but used a cp to not take battleshock. 

Round 3

He won the roll off again, he got two great rocket shots from his heros, killing my stoker. Then he went in hard against my bloodwarriors with his fiends and I was down to 3. He kept his rats on the objectives. On my turn all of my prayers went off and the wrath axe did work to his fiends, which I finished off later in the round. I also got 10 reavers in on his heros, only to have them scuttle away. On my left, I sent in the warriors and reavers and found out the hard way that 20 clanrats are not easily displaced. 

Round 4

I went first this round and decided to use my blood tithe to attack against his rats in my hero phase. Most of my attacks missed and to make a long story short, he eventually killed my force on the left and stayed on the objective. 

By the end of the round I was way behind in vp, so I conceded. I did have a larger presence on board and had killed more guys but he had the objectives. 

Comments

I was surprised by how well 10 warriors do in combat, if you can get them all in they can do lots of damage. Throughout the game I had trouble deciding how to keep my troops inside the secretor bubble. How important is it to do this? I was under the impression khorne was bad without the +1 attack, but if that's the case then we'll just loose on objectives like I did. Also skaven are very good. Anyway, this was my first bat rep and my second actual aos game, I had a great time and I didn't forget any rules. (I think)

• Like 2

Caught a glimpse of Mercenaries in the new GHB on BoLS today.  Anyone see those?   There is a dwarf artillery group you can take, just uses allied points, so you might not be able to fit in allies, and it costs the first turn's CP to have them.  But kinda neat, and maybe useful?  Though they might not be much better than Skull Cannons and the Bloodthirster whips and flails, etc.

I think Mercenaries will be fun for some players but will be largely unused by most. No doubt some Khorne players will lick their lips at the thought of a Dwarven Cannon and Organ Gun with either a Cogsmith for rerolling missed hits/jams or a Gyrocopter for +1 to hits (all for 380 points). Together with a Gorethunder Cohort the Khorne gunline is back on and could be a fun, fluffy list. 

Will be great for narrative gamers and old fans of the Dogs of War as well.

5 hours ago, pollo1126 said:

Okay, first time doing this, but battle report time! 

This is a 1000 point battle against skaven (y'all already know how it ends). 

My list

Bloodsecrator (general w/thronebreakers thorc), bloodstoker, sliaghterpriest (blood sacrifice)

2x10 reavers, 10 blood warriors, 5 blood warriors, 5 skullreapers, wrath axe

His list

Warlock bombardier, warlock engineer

6 stormfiends, 2x20 clanrats, soulsnare shackles

We each got 18" up from the table edge to deploy, and objectives would randomly appear after the first round in one of our thirds. 

Setup

He placed two nawholes in my backline, and one in his. He placed his clanrats near said nawhole, and his stormfiends on the right (my right) supported by his heros.

I placed my alter as far up as I could. I then put my heros behind it to try and have cover. On my right I had my 10 bloodwarriors with my skullreapers behind and on the other flank I had 10 reavers with 5 bloodwarriors. I kept the other ten reavers to screen the middle and hopefully get me some blood tithe. 

Round 1

He went first, buffing his fiends and shooting my priest down to 1 health. He also summoned in some shackles in front of my right flank. On my turn, I failed all my prayers, and figured I would just advance. I could've gotten my bloodwarriors into combat with the command ability, but I figured they'd just die. I decided to leave the charge for next turn so I could also go in with my reapers. If he got the first turn, it would hurt a bit, but I thought it would be fine (first time vs skaven, don't judge). 

Round 2

He won the roll off and the objectives came down, both symetrically across each other on the left third of the board. Literally the worst outcome for me. Then he proceeded to shoot my skullreapers clean off the board. He sent 20 clanrats to his objective and 20 more to mine through his nawhole. Now I was thoroughly confounded. I decided I could go in against the fiends with the bulk of my force and then sweep around to claim his objective. The other part of my army could get my objective along with some daemons I could summon in. I did get blood sacrifice off, but nothing else. Then I sent my blood warriors and my bloodsecrator at the fiends and they did pretty good damage. Taking out 2 fiends, 1 more from battleshock. 2 damage bloodsecrator is surprisingly good. On a side note, we weren't sure if the bloodsecrator buffed himself, anyone here know? I also tried to get 5 bloodwarriors and reavers onto my objective but missed the charge. As for my casualties, I had a large chunk of warriors killed, but used a cp to not take battleshock. 

Round 3

He won the roll off again, he got two great rocket shots from his heros, killing my stoker. Then he went in hard against my bloodwarriors with his fiends and I was down to 3. He kept his rats on the objectives. On my turn all of my prayers went off and the wrath axe did work to his fiends, which I finished off later in the round. I also got 10 reavers in on his heros, only to have them scuttle away. On my left, I sent in the warriors and reavers and found out the hard way that 20 clanrats are not easily displaced. 

Round 4

I went first this round and decided to use my blood tithe to attack against his rats in my hero phase. Most of my attacks missed and to make a long story short, he eventually killed my force on the left and stayed on the objective. 

By the end of the round I was way behind in vp, so I conceded. I did have a larger presence on board and had killed more guys but he had the objectives. 

Comments

I was surprised by how well 10 warriors do in combat, if you can get them all in they can do lots of damage. Throughout the game I had trouble deciding how to keep my troops inside the secretor bubble. How important is it to do this? I was under the impression khorne was bad without the +1 attack, but if that's the case then we'll just loose on objectives like I did. Also skaven are very good. Anyway, this was my first bat rep and my second actual aos game, I had a great time and I didn't forget any rules. (I think)

Bloodsecrator does benefit from his own aura. Unless its called out specifically (think wrathmongers) things benefit from their own aura.

Nice write up and welcome to AOS! Its always good to see more followers of the blood god.

3 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

I think Mercenaries will be fun for some players but will be largely unused by most. No doubt some Khorne players will lick their lips at the thought of a Dwarven Cannon and Organ Gun with either a Cogsmith for rerolling missed hits/jams or a Gyrocopter for +1 to hits (all for 380 points). Together with a Gorethunder Cohort the Khorne gunline is back on and could be a fun, fluffy list. 

Will be great for narrative gamers and old fans of the Dogs of War as well.

Honestly I'd rather just take the skullcannons from a unit power perspective and a maxed gorethunder is already > 1600 points I believe :). II agree its cool for narrative though :)

• Like 3