Generals Handbook 2018 incoming!!!......?

It should be, because the new edition (that will be releases during next month will need some point changes.

One part, I'm wondering is that the age of Sigmar book is 'last chance to buy', too. Okay, it's outdated by rulestandard but it's still the start of the story and the other 4 Realmgate Wars books aren't 'last chance to buy'.

12 minutes ago, S133arcanite said:

Do we think that the Core Book will be like 40k 8th.... £50 for a book of rules?

I really hope not.

I'm expecting it to be around that price, but then again if it's similar to the 40K book it's worth it. For me, getting all the background for Age of Sigmar in one spot and the maps is worth the price. I'm looking forwards to getting it.

But I think you can probably pick it up cheap from bits sites if they include a hardback version of the book in the new AOS starter set (like the Dark Imperium one for 40K). 

Yeah I'm really looking forward to this book.  It'll be good to have a nice glossy hardback book, with some lore, maps etc.

We'll all be excited to read through the rules the day it drops but that's secondary to me, because like most people I will be downloading the pdf hopefully before the stores even open, and when I'm playing I will have a printout of the relevant pages for reference rather than lumping round a 200 page hardback book.  And as time goes by the FAQ etc will inevitably outdate it.

But it's a very smart move to make the core rules continue to be free.  You really don't want to alienate people or create barriers to entry by putting the core rules behind a pay wall.  I don't know how many kits I've bought after reading the warscroll on the app.

Nobody has to buy it, which is cool.  For me it's a luxury purchase and a "coffee table" book, just a nice thing to have.  Looking forward to it.

17 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Yeah I'm really looking forward to this book.  It'll be good to have a nice glossy hardback book, with some lore, maps etc.

Nobody has to buy it, which is cool.  For me it's a luxury purchase and a "coffee table" book, just a nice thing to have.  Looking forward to it.

Agree, depending what they put on the cover... 

Yeah I am looking forward to the return of a hardback rulebook with lots of lore, photography and artwork :)

I can see the appeal and convenience of PDF's - particularly free ones - but i don't exactly enjoy them. The hardback books are well worth the asking price and you will be able to get a good discount from independent stores or by buying the starter box. If its anything like the 40K box, the rulebook is virtually free when you consider how much all the models you get would cost.

If you really only want the book, buy the box and resell all the models to get most or all of your money back.

What is the chance that GW is going to make a book with just rules for cheap, and without the stuff not needed to play the game? I understand that some people like to read fluff etc, but all the pictures and not needed text takes up up to 2/3 of a book sometimes.

1 hour ago, blueshirtman said:

What is the chance that GW is going to make a book with just rules for cheap, and without the stuff not needed to play the game? I understand that some people like to read fluff etc, but all the pictures and not needed text takes up up to 2/3 of a book sometimes.

I hope zero to none. You will still get the rules for free, as gw said. So there is no need for a book with just the rules. If you buy a BRB, you should get the fluff as well otherwise it's throwing out money for stuff that is free. 

19 minutes ago, blueshirtman said:

Probably unlikely to get one you can pick up off the shelves. In Fantasy they used to have a slimmed down rules only version in the starter sets and then you could only buy the full size version separately. Maybe we'll see that this time.

Unless you mean illegally download, am rather sure that the general handbook is going to cost actual money. Why else would anyone buy the new starter set, if they don't play undead or stormcasts?

Not sure what a moby is, but am assuming it is something of large worth. I don't see how rules, that are actually needed to play the game, compared to fluff.

Its like comparing scented water to air.

The core rules, that is to say the new variant of the 4 page rules will be free. They are all thats technically "needed" to play the game

The points (generals handbook) and match play rules will be in GHB2018 (we assume) which will be paid for ofcourse but is an optional extra to the 4 page rules

The narrative things and background will be in the big book (we assume) which will be paid for ofcourse, but as with the GBH2018 is an optional extra.

Essentially you get open play for free, you then can but into matched or narrative or both depending on your tastes.

1 hour ago, blueshirtman said:

Unless you mean illegally download, am rather sure that the general handbook is going to cost actual money. Why else would anyone buy the new starter set, if they don't play undead or stormcasts? 

The ghb will cost money, but won't be in the starters. Starter has the BRB with Fluff. Ghb is another book, just with adjusted point costs and war scrolls, but little too no Fluff. 

3 hours ago, blueshirtman said:

you'll have the chance with the various starter box tiers like they did with 40k, but the GHb is the GHB and won't be 'thinned' to suit different price points.

3 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

Probably unlikely to get one you can pick up off the shelves. In Fantasy they used to have a slimmed down rules only version in the starter sets and then you could only buy the full size version separately. Maybe we'll see that this time.

look to what happened with 40k to see what you'll get. 

there starter set might well have some nice to haves in it and by selling the models you'll probably end up buying the rulebook for less than retail anyway, and yes GHB will cost hard cash.

they already do, it's the free download.  Basic rules, all you need to start playing and it costs thing. :)

On 5/30/2018 at 11:36 AM, Twitch of Izalith said:

Yeah I am looking forward to the return of a hardback rulebook with lots of lore, photography and artwork :)

I can see the appeal and convenience of PDF's - particularly free ones - but i don't exactly enjoy them. The hardback books are well worth the asking price and you will be able to get a good discount from independent stores or by buying the starter box. If its anything like the 40K box, the rulebook is virtually free when you consider how much all the models you get would cost.

If you really only want the book, buy the box and resell all the models to get most or all of your money back.

this. :)

So which book do you expect to be included on the starter box? The big one, or just a small versión with only the core rules?

I'm assuming the GHB18 won't be included on the starter box either way so we will have to get it separately.

6 minutes ago, ogmaadn said:

So which book do you expect to be included on the starter box? The big one, or just a small versión with only the core rules?

I'm assuming the GHB18 won't be included on the starter box either way so we will have to get it separately.

ghb will be separate and the mother o' god fully lavished edition in the starter set :)

and don't be surprised if its around the 95 mark as was the full fat 40k8th starter box.

17 minutes ago, mikethefish said:

In fact, the points values will be free as well, since the army builder app will be updated as well.

Well, I suppose it's not TECHNICALLY free, since it's like what...a buck fifty per month for a subscription to the Azyr app?

If they continue with warscroll builder, points will be completely free, as they are now.

While we're talking about Warscroll Builder, does anyone know if there's a reason they did away with the option to customise how many points you were building? Unless I'm a moron (...possible...), the current site only offers 1000, 2000 and 2500 points +/- 250. Which is annoying.

Archived