Lets Chat: Idoneth Deepkin

S133arcanite

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if he's not a fully buffed VLoZD I still love the avatar's rules. He can give himself a better chance on most heroes (and we will probably have range to whittle down heroes before he gets there) and his weapons are really good for it's profiles, with the main attacks getting good chances. Only think I wish is the 2d6 having rend too, or maybe wounding on 3's, but that's just me being greedy.

Also nice to see a guy so dependent on charges can retreat and charge in the same turn, boosting himself up and allowing him to either go down the opponent's line or slam into a hero again and again. I like it! Hope to see what the unicorn dragon has soon too.

13 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

Even if he's not a fully buffed VLoZD I still love the avatar's rules. He can give himself a better chance on most heroes (and we will probably have range to whittle down heroes before he gets there) and his weapons are really good for it's profiles, with the main attacks getting good chances. Only think I wish is the 2d6 having rend too, or maybe wounding on 3's, but that's just me being greedy.

Also nice to see a guy so dependent on charges can retreat and charge in the same turn, boosting himself up and allowing him to either go down the opponent's line or slam into a hero again and again. I like it! Hope to see what the unicorn dragon has soon too.

I like him too but much of his usage depends on how expensive he is and what  allegiance abilities is. 

He is quite fragile without any anti shooting and anti magic defense for such a big model and one of his abilities is very situational. 

21 minutes ago, Siegfried VII said:

At least he retains his full strength no matter how many wounds he has taken so even with 1 wound left he will be very much a threat... ;)

Maybe he'll be priced a bit more than an Avatar of Khaine because he begins full strenght with no need of a prayer (...or not we'll see) but I find him quite similar and maybe deadlier against infantry because of his movement and his healing. I don't know if it's wise to send him against heroes tbh (or maybe a mage/priest).

24 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

It's possible I guess. Drukhari pre-order on saturday? 

Yea I think Drukhari release is on the 7th I guess preorders would makes sense to start, I'm not complaining about only having to wait two weeks instead of 3 for a release :)

36 minutes ago, Harioch said:

Maybe he'll be priced a bit more than an Avatar of Khaine because he begins full strenght with no need of a prayer (...or not we'll see) but I find him quite similar and maybe deadlier against infantry because of his movement and his healing. I don't know if it's wise to send him against heroes tbh (or maybe a mage/priest).

He also has 3 more wounds and 3+ save compared to the avatar which combined with the healing you mentioned make him very autonomous and versatile unit. His point cost will make or break him me thinks...

12 minutes ago, Siegfried VII said:

He also has 3 more wounds and 3+ save compared to the avatar which combined with the healing you mentioned make him very autonomous and versatile unit. His point cost will make or break him me thinks...

Can you even compare him to an Avatar of Khaine? Just look at him. That is centerpiece material :)

Yep he is 300+ points minimum. I guess he is 360 in that version, he has high movement, fly, re rolla of 1 for wounds and hits (and he is 3+/2+ with main weapon) with good healing potential. Add some internal synergies and allegiance ability. 

Interesting stat lines for sure.

Damage output on the charge is pretty insane - 4 attacks hitting on 3+ re-roll 1's, wounding on 2+ re-rolling 1's, rend -2 damage 3, then a bunch of lower quality attacks which amounts to on average around 11 wounds on the charge versus a 4+ save, or about 4 versus a 2+ re-roll 1's. The fact that he heals from a charge, and can retreat and charge makes him much more consistently able to do this.

He is fast - with a move of 12" and fly (if you look at the datacard he has Vol listed which is French for Flighty ergo Fly) there are not many things that outrun him.

He is pretty durable - compared to a Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon the Eidolon is slightly less durable - 2 wounds less, same save, both have innate healing but Vampire Lord is a bit better, but the Eidolon's  does not degrade which is a big advantage. Also the very minor advantage of giving a small character -1 to hit.

He has a useful buff that is not a command ability - certainly not in the game change category like say the Bloodsecrator, but I can't think of any other beat stick character that also has an aura buff (change my mind)

Without knowing Allegiance abilities, other character buffs, whether he can take artefacts, points it is hard to know where he sits in terms of competitive choice or not, but I would think around the Celestant Prime points would be reasonable.

4 hours ago, DantePQ said:

Yep he is 300+ points minimum. I guess he is 360 in that version, he has high movement, fly, re rolla of 1 for wounds and hits (and he is 3+/2+ with main weapon) with good healing potential. Add some internal synergies and allegiance ability. 

He is also a Celestant Prime with +4 wounds, self healing, rerolls to hit and extra weapons, while only losing the deepstrike and ranged mortal wounds. And with a command ability?

Less than 340 points and it would be a steal.

I get what people say when they look like dark eldar. Even the avatar armor is painted up in their scheme and few people have noticed that. Heck the eels look like bikes, the sharks look like venoms, and the turtle raiders. Other than the lore that they steal emotions I don't think they will be as evil as the shadowkin. I say this because we can't have two dark elf/eldar ports in AoS as it clashes and they should have just been one. I can't wait to read all the lore. I hope their book is as good as the kharadron overlords. 

However if they do turn out to be the most evil of the elves then I would look to see the shadowkin made by Malekith to be less evil. 

The might have fly and they might not and the water magic might make them closer to hovering so they might be more akin to a skimmer from 40K rather than a proper flying unit. So they might skim over something like a bog or waterway or other "difficult" terrain, but won't be able to fly over a building or such.

I'd also hope that the army has no synergy with actual water bodies in the game. Whilst such features are neat they can also either end up silly/useless/brokenly fluffy depending on how players setup their tables. Though they could have something like the Wood elves woodland - a pond that they summon to the table or such. Ergo if they get the synergy they pay for it to be on the table. 

On the evil score I think their evil will be more that they want to harvest souls rather than potentially wanting to disembowel you for fun. So they'll be evil by nessessity of survival, which could give them a neat "we are evil but we don't want to be evil" view on the world. 

Well some of the current line have been rewritten this way, as I remember it.

Order Serpentis for sure are just painted as brutal and ruthless knights rather than the overarching WHFB of purely twisted Dark Elves. I like the change, I like that they're still pretty nasty but it's not all slicing throats and peeling skin! I think even Corsairs have had their lore adjusted to be less rape and pillage, certainly how I interpret it from things like Anvilgard. Just hard and unforgiving. 

However, stealing souls is pretty up there and I'm pleased that the aesthetic of Eidolon version shown now is more dark than the other one, as it suits the thralls and eel riders a whole lot more. Not sure on scale of evil they're quite Morathi level still! 

Archived