Lets Chat: Idoneth Deepkin

S133arcanite

7 hours ago, syph0n said:

Keeping them separate is fine, especially if rules to align older factions together like Anvilgard come out. Just give the Scourge Privateers the bolt throwers please and I'd be happy! 

Does anyone else think that even within the Idoneth there seems to be some slight style differences? For example, the King character on the serpent narwhal (what is it GW, put us out of our misery) is distinctly 'dark aelf' and Corsair like, as are the thralls, pointy sorcerer and one version of the turtle driver. 

You've then got the more Avatar of Mathlann styled models, like the closed eye female hero, the other turtle driver and apparently the artwork for the King as shown by @Goodapollo4. I wonder if we have more to see for this side? Maybe alternate construction options, with the fin-styled Spartan helms etc. These are more 'high aelf' looking I feel. 

Great to see, even if it's just a quirk, that the models have influences from different places. 

Well, Teclis was trying to recreate High Aelves.  He failed, but in the darkness there was hope.  So it makes sense that most of the Idoneth are darker in feel, while a few are more on the light side.  I'm really keen to read the fluff and how these two aspects interact with each other.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, someone2040 said:

Maybe they felt that if they developed the Deepkin as an expands Scourge Privateer force it would handicap them too much in form of what they can actually do.

For example, there's no way the Scourge Privateers can be an underwater faction. Just look at the Chariot, it's being pulled by Horses. They also have fluff dictating who the Scourge Privateers are, and in general, GW has not changed the fluff on the factions too much since the Grand Alliance books came out (Daughters for example, are still Daughters, we just found out the ones we saw before are the more public elements of that faction).

So I think overall it's a good thing they decided not to expand upon the Scourge Privateers with this release. It allows them a lot more freedom in how they can develop the faction. I think it'd be cool to see Scourge Privateers expanded at some point, but I think the Privateers are more of a Daughters of Khaine sized release as opposed to Deepkin.

You may be right,  and I don't have any Privateers so it's no skin of my nose but the upshot of this is it seems very unlikely Privateers will ever be expanded now. They just wouldn't be distinct enough to be profitable. They would end up re-treading the same ground so they're sort of stuck in creative limbo as the other dark aelf sea raiders.

The only thing I want to change is the heads on the bald/blind guys. They look too much like Electropriests in 40k. I love the Kairic Acolytes in DoT - a helmet really helps balance the model that's otherwise too flesh heavy from the waist up. I'm open to all suggestions - ideally kits that come with 10 extra heads and a cool design.

5 minutes ago, MacDuff said:

The only thing I want to change is the heads on the bald/blind guys. They look too much like Electropriests in 40k. I love the Kairic Acolytes in DoT - a helmet really helps balance the model that's otherwise too flesh heavy from the waist up. I'm open to all suggestions - ideally kits that come with 10 extra heads and a cool design.

Agreed.  And I also think about Spite revenants. Or maybe more like shaved Tree revenants without eyes ?

1 hour ago, MacDuff said:

I would say executioner masks might work pretty well, doesn't change the silhouette greatly but adds another metal surface.

2 hours ago, MacDuff said:

Sisters of Slaughter heads could work

Kind of funny, a frined of mine said "Thank god, I don`t have to paint eyes". He`s probably going to take ONLY those guys. Overall I like the look and feel of the Deepkin. It`s on of the true AoS armies now, while the leftover "High Aelfs" seem to be a bit out of place. Just like the other older factions.

I'm still digesting the fact that GW  managed to make something really BAD-ASS and fearsome looking by combining "seahorse" with "unicorn", two things which are generally described as "cute" and/or "beautiful". I suppose you could probably make anything bad-ass by adding sufficient amounts of "dragon", but what they've done there is really pretty awesome. I'll admit to being very concerned when I heard the rumor of elves riding seahorses. I want pirates! "Elves riding flying unicorn seahorses" is an idea that could be straight out of some little girl's neon glitter Lisa Frank poster from the 90's. And low and behold, the seahorse rider is easily the most piratical looking of all of them! Good show GW. I am literally amazed.

And now, to further illustrate where my initial concern came from, here are some true facts about the seahorse.

2 hours ago, Sharkbelly said:

Does anyone happen to remember the name of the other aspect of Manann, the one that was associated with Wreckers and Pirates?

Stromfels, though that isn't an aspect of Manann.  They're enemies.  (Edit: this is wrong.  Just looked it up)

Mathlann is (or was) the elven equivalent of Manann, though I don't know if there is an elven version of Stromfels.  I think Mathlann also covered piracy because dark elf corsairs worshipped him.

man I really wanna see the rules soon. I hope they play well without too much strange things like kharadons have. I'm trying to keep my mind open to all the different playstyles, so I'm not disappointed when I actually see them

Still, here's hoping for a calvary playstyle, a monster playstyle, and an elite infantry playstyle and are not just pigeonholed into only one unit to be really good (looking at you enginriggers)

6 hours ago, DinoTitanedition said:

Kind of funny, a frined of mine said "Thank god, I don`t have to paint eyes". He`s probably going to take ONLY those guys. Overall I like the look and feel of the Deepkin. It`s on of the true AoS armies now, while the leftover "High Aelfs" seem to be a bit out of place. Just like the other older factions.

Even lizardmen and skaven as good as their models are their style and theme is starting to not fit. Heck even the earlier armies like iron jaws don't seem quite so fantastic right now lol (though Maw-Krusha is still one of the best AoS models). I think AoS gw team is finally hitting its stride in making AoS its own thing. I love it. 

I feel there's still greatly unused potential for the miniatures from the old range. As awesome as deepkin are, they don't make me like my SHA or Phoenix Temple anything less. Perhaps the light elves will simply make me over the moon with them, but this is where I currently stand.

11 hours ago, Antipodean7 said:

Hey everyone, I've updated my summary page with all the combined details from Warhammer Community, the Studio Preview Q&A, Facebook Live, the AoS page on Facebook, and all the existing background on Mathlann in the World that Was.  Hope its useful.

https://aosshorts.com/idoneth-deepkin/

Where in the video was the shark chariot?

1 hour ago, Spiny Norman said:

Oww, so great.

I think the ballista is hard to aim if the shark moves his body in stream lines like he does underwater, though. Perhaps they should have gone for a catapult or hell canon on the shark's back. Or another shark...

The central portion of a shark actually stays relatively stable. Plus, i'm sure they've practised xD 

Archived