WiP Wednesdays

Ben

3 hours ago, SquigHoarder said:

Finished my first Corvus Cabal today.  Have the assembly line ready for tomorrow. 

IMG_20190814_122210912.jpg

This is a very solid result... but I am not feeling that orange on the base.

In a scheme that is otherwise so organic and muted (which I like), that deep, bright burst of orange really draws my eye down to the base and away from the model.

I feel a brownish mud - or at least having the orange earth as flat (i.e. rather than built up as a solid ring) - would work so much better. Failing that, maybe there is some way to add that orange to the upper part of the model to balance it out a bit?

Edited by Kyriakin

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Summerland said:

Working on some characters for my Slaanesh force—what a lovely model! Much prefer him without the Daemonette in his back, I have to say. 

B1FF32B4-CEB2-4841-964D-A21462C6E364.jpeg

How did you do the skin if you don’t mind me asking? 

As it is amazeballs and really contrasts wel with the gold and red. 

Edited by Kramer

8 hours ago, ThalmorRepresentative said:

@Summerland, that has to be one of the best Syll's I've ever seen!!! And there have been some pretty great ones. Nice. cannot wait to see the finished result.

Thank you, I really appreciate it! The models these days take paint like a breeze. If you haven't seen it, you should check out David Colwell, who painted a Syll'Esske that might be my favorite model ever painted--obviously to a much, much, much higher standard. 

7 hours ago, Kramer said:

How did you do the skin if you don’t mind me asking? 

As it is amazeballs and really contrasts wel with the gold and red. 

Thank you! The skin takes a few steps but it's mostly trial and error. It's a base of daemonette hide with some fenrisian grey mixed in (about 3:1), and then shaded with Drakenhoff Nightshade, then it's almost all covered with the basecoat again to neaten up, then you just progressively add Bugman's Glow into the base and glaze up the raised areas. The tattoos are base coated with Bugman's Glow, shaded with a homemade skin glaze (but basically Reikland's will do the trick), and then highlighted with Cadian fleshtone. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Zombie Thread! Because it's wednesday, and I have some WIPs! 

I'm working on a Lovecraftian (sort of) themed Warcry Nurgle Daemons warband, The Drowned.

I was really inspired by the idea of the Drowned Men warband from Wrath of the Everchosen - but more the name than anything else. I had this idea of a warband (Nurgle allegiance) made from deep sea horrors and horrible drowned zombies. Think Deepkin, but much more dark. The idea is that sailors and divers (which I'm sure exists in the mortal realms - if not, they do now) sometimes succumb to ilnesses of the ocean, like scurvy and other horrible diseases. When they do, the great father offers them the chance to be freed from pain and suffering - if only they wow to serve him in the sea. Many say yes, and plunge themselves into the sea, while wowing their pledge to the Nurgle. Indeed, the pain and suffering disappears, but so does their will and sanity. All that is left are bloated, drowned hulks of the men they were, seeking only to taint the living. 

They are led into battle by the Duke of the Depths, a silent knight of the ocean, carried into battle by a huge squid-beast, accompanied by horrible giant Whelks and other sea monsters. 

To most, they are little more than a legend that is whispered of by the campfires in the eightpoints. Stories are told of warbands, treading dry and barren earth, and suddenly finding their feet submerged in ankle high water. Through a heavy fog stumbles the rotting forms of once noble seafarers and divers, and horrible monsters emerge. Few have seen them, and fewer still have survived to tell the tale of The Drowned.

The Duke of the Depths (counts as Leader on Plague Drone) - very rough WIP, only started sculpting the octopus tonight - trying to work out if the eyes are a bit too big.) 

dm6.jpg

dm8.jpg

dm7.jpg

Crabs! (Wyrd The Other Side Armoured Whelks - counts as Beasts of Nurgle): 

dm9.jpg

The Angler Fish (counts as allied Chaos Lord )

dm5.jpg

dm10.jpg

The Drowned (counts as Plaguebearers)

dm4.jpg

All very rough and WIP, but I like where it's going. 

• Like 11
  • LOVE IT! 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 11:41 PM, GuitaRasmus said:

Zombie Thread! Because it's wednesday, and I have some WIPs! 

I'm working on a Lovecraftian (sort of) themed Warcry Nurgle Daemons warband, The Drowned.

I was really inspired by the idea of the Drowned Men warband from Wrath of the Everchosen - but more the name than anything else. I had this idea of a warband (Nurgle allegiance) made from deep sea horrors and horrible drowned zombies. Think Deepkin, but much more dark. The idea is that sailors and divers (which I'm sure exists in the mortal realms - if not, they do now) sometimes succumb to ilnesses of the ocean, like scurvy and other horrible diseases. When they do, the great father offers them the chance to be freed from pain and suffering - if only they wow to serve him in the sea. Many say yes, and plunge themselves into the sea, while wowing their pledge to the Nurgle. Indeed, the pain and suffering disappears, but so does their will and sanity. All that is left are bloated, drowned hulks of the men they were, seeking only to taint the living. 

They are led into battle by the Duke of the Depths, a silent knight of the ocean, carried into battle by a huge squid-beast, accompanied by horrible giant Whelks and other sea monsters. 

To most, they are little more than a legend that is whispered of by the campfires in the eightpoints. Stories are told of warbands, treading dry and barren earth, and suddenly finding their feet submerged in ankle high water. Through a heavy fog stumbles the rotting forms of once noble seafarers and divers, and horrible monsters emerge. Few have seen them, and fewer still have survived to tell the tale of The Drowned.

The Duke of the Depths (counts as Leader on Plague Drone) - very rough WIP, only started sculpting the octopus tonight - trying to work out if the eyes are a bit too big.) 

dm6.jpg

dm8.jpg

dm7.jpg

Crabs! (Wyrd The Other Side Armoured Whelks - counts as Beasts of Nurgle): 

dm9.jpg

The Angler Fish (counts as allied Chaos Lord )

dm5.jpg

dm10.jpg

The Drowned (counts as Plaguebearers)

dm4.jpg

All very rough and WIP, but I like where it's going. 

Ooh that octopus conversion makes me wanna do nurgle. Super cool, the face is spot on. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 1:48 PM, Kramer said:

Ooh that octopus conversion makes me wanna do nurgle. Super cool, the face is spot on. 

Thanks! I wound up changing the octopus though, I wasn't happy with it. I am now. :) 

DoD3.jpg

Dod4.jpg

I also tweaked the Angler a bit, to be a bit less 2d, and added green stuff and barnacles to all the guys: 

Angler1.jpg

Angler2.jpg

drowned2.jpg

... And started working on a giant spawn for an Undivided Chaos warband; 

GiantSpawn1.jpg

GiantSpawn2.jpg

• Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Tommy said:

These are gorgeous! 😍 Can I ask what recipe you used?

Thanks! I'd be happy to share:

1. Be sure to wash with dishwashing soap and warm water, let dry completely, and then scrape up casting flash before applying any paint.
  2. Prime with the black spray primer of your choice.
  3. Tidy up areas that got missed by the spray with Black Templar or other black.
  4. Two coats of drybrushed Lupercal Green over entire base (wait between coats for drying time).
  5. Drybrush Kabalite Green around the perimeter, toward the center but not all the way.
  6. Repeat #5 but with Sybarite Green and staying further out from the middle. Where there are runes, use a shorter smaller brush to db them as well.
  7. Repeat but with Gauss Blaster Green and staying even further out, pretty much right out at the edge. Do the runes as above. It may be a good idea to switch to a smaller drybrush at this step, especially on the runes.
  8. Hit just the very edges with Ulthuan Grey, all the way around, evenly.
  9. Let it dry completely.
  10. Wash the whole thing with Biel-Tan Green, making sure to be even (especially important on larger bases - no streaks or patches!).
  11. Paint the skulls as you like. I do XV-88, wash Agrax, then layer on Morghast, then Screaming Skull.
  12. Rim the bases with Abaddon Black.

Be sure that the various coats catch the edges of the raised areas of the base, too, including the sides.

I paint the bases entirely before adding the models one finished example is attached for reference). I end up having to scrape away some paint on the bases and the feet of the models so that the super glue has a proper connection. It's a pain, but oh well. I used to pin in this sort of work, but the extra time isn't worth it. Sure, I'll have to re-glue now and then, but the time spent on the occasional fix is a lot less than the time spent pinning (I'm pretty careful with my toys, so I don't get a lot of breakage).

Also, @JackStreicher, the bases are from Dragon Forge Design.

20200618_160156.jpg

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4