Adepticon Officially Cancelled.

Icarion

So it's looking like adepticon is going to get canceled.  Chicago has canceled their saint patricks parades/river dying and Illinois seems to be following California's lead in canceling events with more than 250 people.  That combined with the 30 travel ban to the US from Europe which just got announced means, while they haven't officially canceled it, I would be very surprised if it went on now.

This from today: 

jO599Du.png

Edited by Athrawes
The event has now officaly been canceled
  • Sad 2

52 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

Sucks for all the people who put a lot of effort into planning  this, and people who have to cancel flights, hotels etc., but it’s likely for the best. 

If the US follows the pattern of most other countries affected so far, in 2 weeks could be quite bad. 

Just pray to Papa Nurgle and start a Maggotkin army as a sign of devotion!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2

Also, I've seen a lot of people online complaining about this saying that they would be happy to "sign a waver" to show up, that hey "don't mind getting sick", ect. But It's important that people understand why big gatherings like this are being thoughtfully canceled/postponed. 

It's not about individuals getting sick, but about them becoming contagious and spreading the virus to more people once they leave.  A rapid spike in people getting sick can lead to healthcare services getting overwhelmed, as there are only so many nurses, doctors or even beds in hospitals. By slowing the spread through postponing events like this, it also lowers the transmission  vectors, and so perhaps the same number of people still end up catching the illness, but it happens over a longer period of time allowing, health services to keep pace with demand for aid.

tldr; It's not just about keeping you (an individual) from getting sick, but about slowing the spread of infection. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 13

@Athrawes yeah I wish the awareness was further than the self/immediate family. We're already being told to stay away from older relatives, and going through with not only air travel but a large gathering? Is like asking to get them sick. The transmission vector is exponential for large gatherings that rely on air travel for participants.

• Like 1

While I certainly understand the need for actions such as this to be taken, it's hard to not feel disappointed. This is something I was looking forward to, and to have it cancelled due to something out of anyone's control is not a good time. Now I hope they give a concrete answer as to whether or not it is cancelled so those of us with flights and hotel accommodations can go about getting reimbursed in some way. 

• Like 2

Aaand it has now been officialy canceled.

Since the very first AdeptiCon, held eighteen years ago, we’ve made it clear that the highest priority, in any consideration, would always be the attendees. Over the years, we have done our best to be loyal to this principle. With our incredible staff, volunteers, organizers, and instructors, AdeptiCon has been proud to host our annual hobby celebration with a continued emphasis on creating an amazing experience for our attendees. It is with that priority in mind that we have decided, after many hours of internal conversation and consultation with the venue, hotels, and various local authorities, that the health and well-being of our attendees and the public must come first. While we continued planning and did everything in our power to see AdeptiCon run as normal, we are now following both government guidance and our own judgement concerning the COVID-19 virus in cancelling the 2020 convention scheduled for March 25th-29th.

We understand that this will impact all of you. It also impacts our exhibitors, staff, the venue, and the local community. It is not a decision we have made lightly; it is a decision based entirely on keeping people safe and healthy. It goes without saying that no one is more heartbroken about this situation than the AdeptiCon team. We look forward to seeing all of you every year, sharing our love of the hobby and revisiting friendships cultivated over years of the convention.

The AdeptiCon staff is already vigorously working on details around issuing requests for credits/refunds, the handling of prepaid merchandise, badge upgrades and other related items. We will provide to our attendees and exhibitors final plans to address the unprecedented circumstances that the COVID-19 virus has thrust upon us by April 15th or sooner. Your patience is appreciated during this time as we finalize the necessary details and logistics.

It is important to understand that the AdeptiCon team remains committed to this event. With your help, we will be able to return to providing you with the greatest tabletop gaming event experience around. We are very determined to see AdeptiCon return, thrive, and run long into the future. And we will remain focused, as always, on our most important priority, the attendees.

Sincerely,

AdeptiCon Staff
“For Gamers, By Gamers”

• Like 1

I know it’s poor taste, but I have to say it. 

Looks like nurgle won adepticon this year!

i make jokes so I don’t feel the crushing disappointment. I was planning on going this year to look around and buy forge world stuff, but it’s the smart thing to do. It’s a long incubation period, and the game revolves around touching models and moving them around, as well as dice and other peripherals. It would just lead too much of a health hazard, and could spread it to not only other countries but to more remote towns and places without good healthcare.

Absolutely gutted for the people who have been preparing for the event, both people running the event and people who have been preparing armies.

Very much the right decision - would rather have events be cancelled and see them next year than most of the attendants get infected (and the potential fatalities meaning they don't see anything again).

9 hours ago, Chikout said:

It is sad to see this but it is absolutely the correct decision. I feel particularly sorry for Domus was has been painting a vast amount of terrain for the event.  Warhammer world should probably cancel its upcoming events too.

The US and the UK currently have different guidelines in place.  I'm positive that when the UK advice changes, we'll see cancelled/postponed events on this side of the water.  One of the items that has compounded Adepticon is that it attracts a large number of people from Europe (including people doing tutoring) so I imagine the travel ban has had a greater effect on the event than one of GW's.

32 minutes ago, Karragon said:

It's the perfect time for Nurgle jokes. It's gallows humour and helps people deal with stressful situations

Thoroughly disagree. We are looking at the one of the biggest international health crises in recent time - (recent time being about 70 years) the WHO has declared it a pandemic, elderly and sick are at severe risk, and hospitals all around the world are figthing to muster enough manpower and equipment to be able to deal with it, once it spreads to enough people. This is absolutely no laughing matter. I’ve heard enough stupid jokes about Corona to last a lifetime in the past few weeks. The problem is that humour may take the brunt out of the situation, but it also makes people take it less seriously - the post earlier in this thread, about people signing a waiver not caring if they get sick being a good example - I am dumbfounded that people will risk being infected, just for the chance to play attend Adepticon to play games. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Edited by GuitaRasmus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, GuitaRasmus said:

the WHO has declared it a pandemic, elderly and sick are at severe risk,

Like they would be if they‘ve got the normal Flue as well. Jeez it has a lower mortality rate than the normal flue. The only reason people are making a fuzz about it is that they want to prevent this to become a common reoccurring disease.

all of the rest is media hysteria, fear and misinformation.

The Adepticon people did the right thing.

I stumbled over this which shows how hysteric people are

2A779FD4-2279-4C95-A835-C5BFAB9BF35A.jpeg.a2f8d044312513942092d866b8dec48d.jpeg

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1

+++ MOD HAT +++

OK folks, time for Rune to do do a "Dad" talk.

Coronavirus is pretty big news, it's not often (thank goodness) that we have a pandemic, nor one that's been escalated both within the WHO and world media.

It's really important to be aware that we don't all deal with stress in the same way - us Brits have a habit of making a bit of a joke out of it, it's not that we're not taking it seriously, but a coping mechanism that many people share.  Not everybody sees the funny side in a time of crisis though, a poor joke (and let's be honest many of our jokes can be a bit naff) can actually go down really badly - we don't know what circumstances people are currently having to deal with.

Our hobby is amazing, it's a safe place and sanctuary for most of us away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the world.  So when the real life invades it can be a massive shock to the system.  Let's try to be thoughtful when dealing with this pandemic, accept that people have different coping mechanisms and circumstances and try most of all not to make anybodies life more difficult with comments.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Like they would be if they‘ve got the normal Flue as well. Jeez it has a lower mortality rate than the normal flue. The only reason people are making a fuzz about it is that they want to prevent this to become a common reoccurring disease.

all of the rest is media hysteria, fear and misinformation.

The Adepticon people did the right thing.

Reveal hidden contents

I stumbled over this which shows how hysteric people are

2A779FD4-2279-4C95-A835-C5BFAB9BF35A.jpeg.a2f8d044312513942092d866b8dec48d.jpeg

This is plain wrong. While not as lethal as first thought, recent date suggests that it has a mortality rate of 0.3-1%, which is 3 to 10 times that of regular flu. In developed countries, that is. The US has shut down all plane travel from EU for the next 30 days. In Denmark, where I live (scandinavia) we have a very efficient national health care system, and our prime ministar has more or less shut down the country from wednesday this week and two weeks forward. Some of the most brilliant medical minds and health care officials all around the world are calling out for people to be very careful. This virus is already costing hundreds of billions of dollars all around the world. To say that this is hysteria and misinformation is uninformed and... Well, misinformation. I heartily encourage you to go read some real articles about this - from doctors, not pulp newspapers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not as contagious as Swine Flu, and  certainly not as deadly, in terms of percentages, as MERS, SARS or the dreaded H5N1 Bird/Avian Flu.

However, it has that sneaky symptomless, yet transmissible period, whereby it kinda feels like chasing a ghost.

I have been in China and Hong Kong this whole time, and non-Hubei mainland China went several days with no new locally-transmitted cases, and Hong Kong - with its land border with mainland China and densely-populated living conditions - sits at just over 100 cases, total. That's pretty impressive.

So, it is possible to get on top of this, but requires some very firm policies.

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Like 1