Squatting Watch: Alerts for Discontinued Models

4 minutes ago, Overread said:

Actually GW has been adding and removing kits for decades. Squatting in itself is reference to the dwarf 40K army called Squats which were totally removed. Meanwhile armies have had things added adn removed over the years; zoats used to be in Tyranids; meanwhile Imperial Guard used to have a load of alternative chapters back in the metal era which were all pretty much dropped save for the core and Cadians. 

Squats were removed decades ago and you can hardly compare losing specific guard regiments with say the loss of the entire high elf line. If GW had axed every guard unit but the taurox and basic infantry squad you may have a case. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

I think 3rd parties have sellable stock assuming they said they had the stock. Still plenty of Start Collecting Greenskinz at msrp+discount for example.

Ahh fair does, its currently listed as dispatch for the 9th so fingers crossed.

7 minutes ago, Overread said:

Actually GW has been adding and removing kits for decades. Squatting in itself is reference to the dwarf 40K army called Squats which were totally removed. Meanwhile armies have had things added adn removed over the years; zoats used to be in Tyranids; meanwhile Imperial Guard used to have a load of alternative chapters back in the metal era which were all pretty much dropped save for the core and Cadians. 

When was the last time that unit rules just disappeared with the model? 2nd edition with squats and refreshed concept for Tyranids removing their zoats and squigs? Arguably, necron Pariahs might fit here, but the same codex that removed them also introduced lychguard that filled the same 'infantry with a warscythe' niche, only fluff wwas different.

Dark Eldar grotesques suddenly grown to a monster despite previously being infantry sized? Wracks were introduced [without official models for a long time!] filling the same 'human sized flesh construct' role.

Imperial guard? Various regiments usedmostly the same ruleset, so all legacy armies are still playable. Even such specific things as the last chancers can still be recreated using a veteran squad. Rough riders might be close here, but they're still playable with official index rules so if you have them, just use them together with the rest.  Winged tyranid warriors maybe? Never had a model apart from forgeworld conversion kit, and yet, they still have index rules!

So no, what happens now in AoS isn't remotely close to anything 40k has seen in last.. 25 years maybe?

• Thanks 3

Just now, Kasper said:

We are talking old ass models right? I personally think it is OK that they clean out the old stuff from time to time to keep a semi fresh and matching range of models

Well a few are decently new like the Skycutter Chariot or the War Altar of Sgimar

27 minutes ago, Kasper said:

We are talking old ass models right? I personally think it is OK that they clean out the old stuff from time to time to keep a semi fresh and matching range of models

Positively ancient, some from far away year of 2013 if one can imagine such faraway times ; ). Same time as Glottkin and the rest of large nurgle beasties, year older than such old things as Nagash and the Mortarchs [cool band name, to think of it...]

Sorry, just having a laugh, especially comparing it to the fact that the Skaven battletome had 20+ year old discontinued models actually *return* to the line. And beastmen still have THIS monstrosity availible in store :D

I know that it's been few years since, for instance, Skycutter was released, but well, it disappearing means that in two years from now basic stormcast and bloodbound units are not safe either, following the same logic.

Edited by dekay
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

16 minutes ago, xking said:

Is taal even still alive? The affected by nurgle right?

I don't know, I found a kingdom in Ghur where he was venerated, and he seemed rather Kurnoth (but then the human aspect).

I hardly know anything of the lore, but for what I can find online

1 hour ago, dekay said:

Positively ancient, some from far away year of 2013 if one can imagine such faraway times ; ). Same time as Glottkin and the rest of large nurgle beasties, year older than such old things as Nagash and the Mortarchs [cool band name, to think of it...]

Sorry, just having a laugh, especially comparing it to the fact that the Skaven battletome had 20+ year old discontinued models actually *return* to the line. And beastmen still have THIS monstrosity availible in store :D

I know that it's been few years since, for instance, Skycutter was released, but well, it disappearing means that in two years from now basic stormcast and bloodbound units are not safe either, following the same logic.

There’s no such thing as ‘The Old World’. This is your new reality now.

8 hours ago, SentinelGuy said:

It's hard to be enthusiastic about the game when your army could be squated every few months.

Not saying you are a new player but this sort of thing hits new players the hardest.

As a grognard, I knew that when Age of Sigmar hit anything that wasn’t Khorne or Stormcast could disappear at any moment. I had the cash to buy up all the things to finish off my armies and I did. GW don’t tell you this but you have anywhere between about 4-15 years to complete your collection from the time the models are released.

New players don’t know this and they see this beautiful Swifthawk agents boxed set and decide this is the force for them. They might save up for ages with plans to expand then this happens. Not good at all.

Last Chance to Buy has not been that great as you have to be keeping a very close eye on things to ninja a popular model. It has been better than what we had though. I’d encourage all new players to do a bit of research beforehand to get a feel for how long your chosen force might be available for.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Greyshadow said:

Not saying you are a new player but this sort of thing hits new players the hardest.

As a grognard, I knew that when Age of Sigmar hit anything that wasn’t Khorne or Stormcast could disappear at any moment. I had the cash to buy up all the things to finish off my armies and I did. GW don’t tell you this but you have anywhere between about 4-15 years to complete your collection from the time the models are released.

New players don’t know this and they see this beautiful Swifthawk agents boxed set and decide this is the force for them. They might save up for ages with plans to expand then this happens. Not good at all.

Last Chance to Buy has not been that great as you have to be keeping a very close eye on things to ninja a popular model. It has been better than what we had though. I’d encourage all new players to do a bit of research beforehand to get a feel for how long your chosen force might be available for.

For General and archers, you had minus four days in last chance, they actually already sold out monday. They entered last chance last night already out of stock worldwide.

2 minutes ago, Greyshadow said:

That brings back memories... In 5th edition my Chaos force could take beastmen and daemons as allies, so I had a few of them because the idea of mixed chaos force was fun and proper from fluff perspectove. So I rejoiced very much when mortals and daemons were merged into a single army in 6th, with beastmen soon joining them. This was a fun time of building a truly diverse chaos force. And the few years later 7th came, and suddenly instead of one army I had three unplayable parts of three different factions ; )

However! It was still not nearly as bad as what's happening now, as back then every single unit remained playable. Just not necessarily together.

By the way, I remember designer's commentary from Gav Thorpe in 6th edition Hordes of Chaos book where he apologised that some daemonic units weren't there, bercause chaos had too many units to cram into a single army book, that they will be added later [and they were, in Storm of Chaos supplement!], and for now we can use daemonc beast models as marked chaos spawn and daemon cavalry as marked chosen knights. Not optimal, he wrote himself, but it was *Something*! Compare it to what we're getting today, with the sneaky change in store, too-late-newsletter and 'but imagine all the new things we will try to sell you!' line of response from community page. Yeah.

2 hours ago, dekay said:

What discontinued skaven  models were returned with the Skaven tome? AFAIK, we lost the poison wind globadiers and gained the warlock bombadier

2 minutes ago, DatHomieSilverSurfer said:

What discontinued skaven  models were returned with the Skaven tome? AFAIK, we lost the poison wind globadiers and gained the warlock bombadier

Warpfire thrower returned in metal for skaven. 

It's about the only case and kind of means that Skaven must be AoS's "Space Marine special" faction in that respect ;)

Thoguh part of me just thinks that there's a lot of skaven resculpts on the drawing board so GW threw it back in. A weapons team in plastic would be dead easy to field - 4 weapon choices and its ready to go. Same for a good few other iconic models. Skaven are chock full of them so I can one day see a big Skaven launch with lots of resculpts and updated models - in time. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, DatHomieSilverSurfer said:

Metal warpfire thrower has been unavailible for some time before new battletome if I recall correctly. There was a plastic version in the Dawnspire but disappeared together with the rest of the set. Same with the rat ogres, they had to return the older set due to the newer ones disappearing for the same reason.

Just now, dekay said:

Metal warpfire thrower has been unavailible for some time before new battletome if I recall correctly. There was a plastic version in the Dawnspire but disappeared together with the rest of the set. Same with the rat ogres, they had to return the older set due to the newer ones disappearing for the same reason.

I think the Rat Ogres set remained - its the same one with giant rats and packmasters that GW has had out for AGES its a very old plastic kit. 

34 minutes ago, dekay said:

Weren't they unavailible for a long while when Spire of Dawn was re released? Or am I thinking of original Island of Blood? Not very important, really, I might remember it wrong. Still. Warpfire team.

Yes.

This was also the only way to get most of the Swifthawk that wasn’t available anywhere else, and a cheap way to get a whole lotta Clanrats

3 hours ago, Kasper said:

For the most part yes. On the whole I'm not surprised with things like Thunderers and only surprised about warriors because they were reboxed.

That said, there were a handful of pretty modern plastic kits getting cut like Dragon Blades and the Skycutter.

I think repacking the Isle of Blood for AoS as the Spire of Dawn was a mistake. It was full of modern plastic sculpts that being a starter set would attract new players who would expect the models and armies in it to continue to supported for some time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dekay said:

Hey now! You leave him out of this!  He's a cute little piggy! 😡

😄

5 hours ago, Kasper said:

Agreed. I am astounded by the amount of crying over this. If you want an army that's going to be supported in aos then make sure it has a battle tome - this has always been standard advice.

My only gripe is that it has taken gw this long to finally cull these old models.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

30 minutes ago, 123lac said:

Agreed. I am astounded by the amount of crying over this. If you want an army that's going to be supported in aos then make sure it has a battle tome - this has always been standard advice.

My only gripe is that it has taken gw this long to finally cull these old models.

It's almost as if there was a Battletome meant for old Empire/Elf/Dwarf models announced in the last week and people were getting excited for using their old collection or something.

I can't help but laugh that you somehow have a 'gripe' with older models you dislike still being available. It's a bit rich you saying people are 'crying' when old models being available somehow manages to upset you.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3
  • LOVE IT! 2