The Rumour Thread

3 hours ago, FleetAdmiral said:

yeah thought as much.

Just struck me as odd that you would not be able to shoot at a enemy unit because its in combat. I get why a unit in combat would only shoot at the enemy unit its in combat with. 

Why would that be odd?  The vast majority of games I have played (including most GW games) do not allow you to shoot into close combat without some sort of special ability.  Age of Sigmar is very much the odd man out in regards to this.  I’m not claiming that how Age of Sigmar handles this is good or bad, just saying that not shooting into combat is by far the norm for tabletop games.

So next week's preorders are the Imperial Knights release for 40k, with maybe another week of Knights afterwards(the character Knight and maybe standalone warglaives?). Anything else in the reported GW pipeline(that doesn't already have vague this fall, etc time frame) that might come in before a 9th or 16th pre-release for new edition AoS releases?

1 hour ago, bsharitt said:

So next week's preorders are the Imperial Knights release for 40k, with maybe another week of Knights afterwards(the character Knight and maybe standalone warglaives?). Anything else in the reported GW pipeline(that doesn't already have vague this fall, etc time frame) that might come in before a 9th or 16th pre-release for new edition AoS releases?

Isn't there like 2-3 codices left? 

19 minutes ago, Barkanaut said:

Isn't there like 2-3 codices left? 

3 (Orks, Space Wolfes and Genestealer Cults) as far as currently supported armies go, with Orks rumored to come with new miniatures. That still leaves Sisters of Battle (2019 earliest), some Imperial odds and ends (Sisters of Silence, Inquisition, Assassines), as well as World Eaters and Emperors Children growing into standalone armies. Add that Kill Team (with bunch ofnew  terrain) and the Rogue Trader boardgame are also announced, there is still quite the wh40k lineup for the foreseeable future.

Not sure if it counts as a rumour... but rejoice! GW updated skirmish  the first update I experienced in a digital book of theirs!  Very exciting in my opinion because it means they might just keep updating the product :) 

5914188A-D21B-4979-8197-BC703D877D09.png.6769df949933f913ace0fa77ac87f327.png

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Not sure if it counts as a rumour... but rejoice! GW updated skirmish  the first update I experienced in a digital book of theirs!  Very exciting in my opinion because it means they might just keep updating the product :) 

5914188A-D21B-4979-8197-BC703D877D09.png.6769df949933f913ace0fa77ac87f327.png

That’s great, I may have to switch to digital purchases if this becomes a trend. Even though I love having the books on the shelf.

• Like 1

Just now, Charles said:

That’s great, I may have to switch to digital purchases if this becomes a trend. Even though I love having the books on the shelf.

I'm so with you! But now it finally has an advantage besides shelf space! Especially for things like path to glory, skirmish, firestorm this could be huge. (most likely not but i'm more excited by these possibilities then AoS 2.0 ;))

I'll never give up on physical books, but boy howdy would I be ok with paying $10 extra per book, or even a $100 yearly all-inclusive subscription free, to get a regularly* updated digital version.

*And I mean regularly. As in, if there is an update officially published by GW anywhere, then my source material is updated that day. Before I pay for the perk of updatable media, I need to see a proven track record of updates so I can confidently open the digital publication at any time and know, with certainty, that it's the current rule I'm looking at.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Rogue Explorator said:

3 (Orks, Space Wolfes and Genestealer Cults) as far as currently supported armies go, with Orks rumored to come with new miniatures. That still leaves Sisters of Battle (2019 earliest), some Imperial odds and ends (Sisters of Silence, Inquisition, Assassines), as well as World Eaters and Emperors Children growing into standalone armies. Add that Kill Team (with bunch ofnew  terrain) and the Rogue Trader boardgame are also announced, there is still quite the wh40k lineup for the foreseeable future.

Oh no more marines. This is why I don’t play 40k much anymore. Seems the creativity is dead. Granted I have to congratulate  them as the balance is fairly impeccable even if the creativity is running on e. Rogue trader mini’s the exception. They need to have a mind blowing year for me next year to even get me to consider buying mini’s. Nothing less than new dark Eldar, new xenos, new models for tau, or a full rogue trader army could stir my soul. Sisters is just more power armor. I’m hoping the Kroot rumors turn out true. I just doubt it. 

6 hours ago, Barkanaut said:

Oh no more marines. This is why I don’t play 40k much anymore. Seems the creativity is dead. Granted I have to congratulate  them as the balance is fairly impeccable even if the creativity is running on e. Rogue trader mini’s the exception. They need to have a mind blowing year for me next year to even get me to consider buying mini’s. Nothing less than new dark Eldar, new xenos, new models for tau, or a full rogue trader army could stir my soul. Sisters is just more power armor. I’m hoping the Kroot rumors turn out true. I just doubt it. 

Not to turn this into to a 40K post but I disagree with you. They are trying to get all the books out for the armies in the index books. After that we will see lots of cool new stuff and yes there will be marines but they pay the bills (that popular). I think they have some very cool models coming up soon 

Any back on topic - AOS rumours please!!!

• Like 3

Re: Stormcast, GW will always want to have a golden boy (no pun intended) faction because it makes total business sense. According to GW, more than half of all 40k players play some variety of marines, and anecdotally almost everyone who has played 40k has owned some marines at some point. New marine units can therefore make their money back really easily, because if I like say the Repulsor when it comes out, I can probably get one and play with it without starting a whole new army. Contrast this with Eldar - let's say 5% of 40k players have an eldar army. A new set needs to sell a lot make all its money off those 5%, or convince other players to invest in a whole new army in order to play with it.

Of course, you need multiple factions to make the game and setting appealing, but loyalist Space Marines have long subsidised the rest of 40K, which is why they seem to get every other release. Stormcast are GW's attempt to create a similar cash cow for AoS. Any order player can use them and they'l come in every starter set, so they're going to have a wide customer base. Likewise going forward we'll probably see more order factions than any other because they can be sold to Stormcast players as allies.

Of course, were GA Soup armies more popular, we might well have seen a different approach, but AOS doesn't seem to be going that way.

18 hours ago, FleetAdmiral said:

yeah thought as much.

Just struck me as odd that you would not be able to shoot at a enemy unit because its in combat. I get why a unit in combat would only shoot at the enemy unit its in combat with. 

Because whilst the minis are static on the tabletop in reality combat would be a swirling mess where you're very likely to hit your own men. In contrast an unengaged unit is a fairly easy target even for fairly raw troops. Precision fire has historically been less common than "make the big block of troops march through the wall of arrows/lead approach to ranged combat.

Thank you for all the replies regarding shooting into combat. While it would realistically make little sense to shoot at your own troops in combat it would from a gameplay perspective gimp every shooting unit and for a bigger part of the game make them useless. It would end up being shooting units only firing on other shooters. 

I highly doubt it’s a ruling we’ll see when such armies as the kharadron exist.

11 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral said:

Thank you for all the replies regarding shooting into combat. While it would realistically make little sense to shoot at your own troops in combat it would from a gameplay perspective gimp every shooting unit and for a bigger part of the game make them useless. It would end up being shooting units only firing on other shooters. 

I highly doubt it’s a ruling we’ll see when such armies as the kharadron exist.

Not only realistically but also it should be fun as a game. So it needs to be fast, easy to understand and (especially for an army like Kharadron) should feel powerful and cool. So for me this is a good compromise. 

1 minute ago, Superninja said:

Looks a lot like a weirdnob shamans smoke cloud from the staff they hold, but this one is not exactly the same.

That was my first thought, but when I actually went back and looked at him, the smoke is actually quite different. That's what's throwing me off. Them I went and compared it to the Death Guard plague caster guy, and it's not like that smoke either.